• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gaming chairs for pc??

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I am obese back is froggin killin me my friends need better support for my back any good ones please recommend

I am obese back is froggin killin
the simpsons exercise GIF

I've had:

A DX Racer
Secret Lab Titan Evo
Herman Miller Embody Gaming

Unlike a lot of people, I had good experiences with my gaming chairs. The DX Racer was pretty darn comfy until the seat pad gave out about 4 years in. The Secret Lab was absolutely awesome, and I would've kept it with one exception...the seat pad was hard as a rock. And it never got better in the 3 years I owned it. The plus side is that the chair looked brand-new the day I got it. And the range of adjustment for the gaming chairs is unbeatable, you will not be able to match it with an ergonomic office chair. I don't know of any that allow for tilt lock like the gaming chairs do.

That said, the Embody is fantastic and comfortable all day. For the price, the arms and tilt should be a lot more adjustable.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just start small. Go for some walks and stretch for a few minutes when you get back. Maybe do a few no-weight squats, 20 reps.

Make adjustments to just 2 meals. Have a shake for breakfast and a sensible lunch, then eat whatever you want for dinner. Drink more water.

The chair isn't going to fix it honestly. We all have fairly comfortable chairs. You need to work on core strengthening and flexibility.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A chair isn't going to fix your diet.

But you should still avoid gaming chairs and just buy a good ergonomic office chair. Spend the money. Buy cheap, buy twice.

soulbait

I got a Secret Lab Titan XL several years ago as my main office chair (I work from home). It is a great chair. Unlike many gaming chairs, it is not the uncomfortable, racing bucket seat. Those kill my back. This chair has all the ergonomic features of a good office chair, along with a few features that lend to gaming chairs. I sit in it for hours every day and it has been the most comfortable office chair I have used.

ssringo

Gold Member
Spend the money on a good office chair. Don't cheap out. But you need to test the chair yourself as everyone is different and has different preferences. Find local, or not so local if necessary, stores that sell office furniture and test a few out. Make sure you check reviews for longevity. Buying chairs blind, even a highly recommended one, can lead to a bad purchase because it wasn't a good chair for you.

Damigos

I have a "cheap" gaming chair of around 200€ and has no name on it. I use it for 10 years now and its still going strong. I dont how obese you are, i am 1,92 and 125 kg.
Probably the chair wont make a difference. Try and lose some weight. Its the best i ve got for me and for you.

I'm not trying to be mean but the best thing you can do is lose weight. No chair is going to help more then exercise and better nutrition.

If you really want to buy a chair then don't buy a gaming chair. They are shit outside of the Herman Miller gaming chairs (which are basically just their normal chairs with gamer aesthetics).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've had a SecretLabs Titan Evo XL for many years now, replacing a Herman Miller office chair I had previously, and I love it dearly. About my only complaint is that, like someone said above, the seat is on the harder side, but that's nothing a seat cushion can't fix.

I've had a SecretLabs Titan Evo XL for many years now, replacing a Herman Miller office chair I had previously, and I love it dearly. About my only complaint is that, like someone said above, the seat is on the harder side, but that's nothing a seat cushion can't fix.
I can't imagine spending $600 on a chair and needing to buy a seat cushion. A quality chair shouldn't need a cushion to be comfortable.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I can't imagine spending $600 on a chair and needing to buy a seat cushion. A quality chair shouldn't need a cushion to be comfortable.

You're right, but just in my instance (and others who might think it's hard). I'm sure other people use it just fine without extra padding.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy the same chair again for that reason. My supple buttocks need more support!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bought a Songmics chair model OBG62B 4 and a half years ago and it's been great so far, quite comfortable and durable. I'm not fat tho.

71azzWNkJuL.jpg

It wasn't too expensive and looks more like an office chair than a gamer one full of bright colors and shit.

Last edited:

Holammer

I am obese back is froggin killin me my friends need better support for my back any good ones please recommend
Exercise and eat better my dude.
A morbidly obese friend of mine struggled to find a chair that fit him, so he grabbed one of the front seats from a saab car. With some modification & welding he got himself the comfiest of gaming chairs. The envy of everyone, it's just sad he *needs* it.
If you still fit in a regular chair, get an office chair and consider getting a second hand one, companies buy new ones or shut down all the time. So there's a steady supply of them.

You're right, but just in my instance (and others who might think it's hard). I'm sure other people use it just fine without extra padding.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy the same chair again for that reason. My supple buttocks need more support!
It's actually kind of crazy how when you have a bigger ass it actually hurts MORE. You would think the extra padding would help. I've unfortunately gained quite a bit of weight due to a mixture of things (depression mostly, but I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hours a day) and my ass is "bonier" then ever. I used to train legs a lot so unfortunately the muscle in my legs and ass turned into fat.

I'm working on it again though so here's hoping.

ReyBrujo

I got a generic gaming chair, work from home and spend 8-12 hours here with seldom neck pain once per month maybe. Your problem is most likely your weight. Diet and stand up and walk every half an hour to release pressure. And unless you are a pro there's no need to play until your back starts hurting.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's actually kind of crazy how when you have a bigger ass it actually hurts MORE. You would think the extra padding would help. I've unfortunately gained quite a bit of weight due to a mixture of things (depression mostly, but I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hours a day) and my ass is "bonier" then ever. I used to train legs a lot so unfortunately the muscle in my legs and ass turned into fat.

I'm working on it again though so here's hoping.
Take care of yourself and I know from having a lot of friends who just can't exercise that its a lot harder than people think, its not a simple as get out and exercise

In my opinion the worst thing you can do, especially a larger guy, is buying one of these "gaming chairs", you will regret it

I know the Concept Seating chair I mentioned in my first post is close to $2000 but its designed for large people and for 24/7 type of use plus if you like around some places have refurbished units that are half that price (some stores even give you trial runs of up to a week in your house)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looks amazing. Only concern I would have is how hot does it get after using it for a while? Doesn't look like it's very breathable. does your back get hot during long sessions?
I actually have a beach towel I put on my chairs for that very reason as I too run hot all the time but especially for gaming and it works well for me

I have tried a lot of chairs over the years and actually got my first Concept Seating high back well over 20 years ago from a 911 Center that was moving locations and were getting rid of a lot of their old stuff and went there to buy their massive desk/consoles

I have had all the usual chairs in my home including the Herman Miller chairs and when I wanted a new chair for the new house it was without a doubt the 3142R1 I went back to

Their durability is simply unmatched and you wont be replacing this chair anytime soon

mancer81

Neo Member
I've tried many gaming chairs and they were all crap. I also tried some expensive ergonomic ones, and they were just okay. The best of the best is the Marcus chair from Ikea. Plus, it's cheap too!

*Nightwing

I changed my mind OP, time to jump on the personal accountability option instead cause why give a man a fish when you can teach him?

Anyways, it is correct that weight vs ergonomic comfort is a real ratio making the chair options irrelevant.

So, what you need to do is loose enough weight to become naturally buoyant in air, and thus will not only relieve the skeletal compression caused by gravity vs body weight in a chair, but you can then naturally float in front of your PC not needing the chair at all

It will also help with eliminating all physical ailments as you will be permanently having out of body experience for the remainder of time

I like my Herman Miller Aeron. The gas cylinder was toast after 15+ years and replacing it was a bit of an adventure, but now it's good as new.
Under 6’1 & under 200 lbs= Hermin Miller
Over 6’1 & 200lbs+ = secretlabs Titan
Incomplete chart, let me fill out the rest for you

Under 6'1 & 200lbs+ = holy shit go play some pickleball or something you fat fuck
Over 6'1 & under 200lbs= jesus christ eat a cheeseburger you communist

MrRibeye

My experience with Secret Lab chairs was sitting on fake plastic leather which made my legs itchy after a while. Since then I only purchase chairs cushioned with real fabrics.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Top Bottom