• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone have any "gamer chairs" (barf) that they recommend?

TexMex

The last of my new components for my new PC game today, and I'm about to start assembling right now.

My office chair is a cheap piece of crap I got from Amazon or something and it's honestly uncomfortable as hell but I've just dealt with it for years. Now that the padding is so worn I can feel the cheap plastic on my ass I figured I should get a decent chair to go along with the new rig.

Any recommendations? I'm not too hung up on price if it's worth it, but I'm not looking to go drop a grand or something on a chair either.

Thank you fellow gamers.

Look on Facebook market place for used Steelcase Or Herman Miller chairs. Many businesses closing down right now and selling off such chairs along with desks and cabinets. Otherwise there's the Autonomous Ergochairs which are around $400. Just don't waste any money on gaming chairs

Last edited:

TexMex

just get a real office chair from herman miller or aeron

it costs a lot of money but it's something you will for years and thousands of hours

Yeah and thanks - to be clear I'm just talking any chair it doesn't have to literally be a neon streamer gamer chair so just a great office chair is fine by me. I'll look at the Herman Miller stuff - thanks!

I got two of these ones cheap at an office retailer. They're not bad and the cushions/fake leather or whatever it is has held up really well for kids who game a bit.

ONEX-GX330-BB-onex-gx330-series-gaming-chair-black-blue-product1.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ll just add to the Herman Miller parade. Look on craigslist/FB marketplace. My gf got one for $400.

Del_X

Crandall and BTOD sell reconditioned Herman Miller Aerons and Steelcase Leap 2. Just get one of those.

Pakoe

As the others said just get a refurbished Herman Miller. I got the Aeron for about 700 euros maybe 5/6 years ago and its still perfect.
Now that im in my 30s my lower back thanks me for making that choice.
Dont fall for these "GaMuR" chairs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You could gamble with secret lab.
When you get a good unit, it can be genuinely nice chair. Got plenty of ergonomic features and it’s not just some crap oem copy. It’s their own product…. Mostly.
But it is likely one of the parts will have something wrong with it, be bent or noisy.

Obviously don’t get Herman miller. They can fuck of with chairs for 2k$. I don’t care if these are the most comfortable chairs ever. Not even a headrest for that price. F that stuck up company

Imo gaming chair should be lounge chair too. If I want, i pull one lever and get 15min nap in secretlab.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Get an Embody chair, but don't get the gamer version (which adds a bunch of unnecessary padding that kind of takes away from the chair, and has some gaudy Logitech logos on it).

Assuming that you're looking for a chair to sit upright at a desk. Absolutely don't use it as a lounge chair.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
+1 for secret lab titan. Had one for 3 years and zero issues, super comfortable and just got a plain black cotton one so it looks like a normal chair.

Joramun

Like a lot of others said get a Herman Miller.

This is the one I have

WitchHunter

Banned
The last of my new components for my new PC game today, and I'm about to start assembling right now.

My office chair is a cheap piece of crap I got from Amazon or something and it's honestly uncomfortable as hell but I've just dealt with it for years. Now that the padding is so worn I can feel the cheap plastic on my ass I figured I should get a decent chair to go along with the new rig.

Any recommendations? I'm not too hung up on price if it's worth it, but I'm not looking to go drop a grand or something on a chair either.

Thank you fellow gamers.
Do not buy a chair that exerts pressure on your hamstrings. Like lots of herman miller chairs do, but ymmv. Good chairs have proper lower back support, you can set the seating into negative angles, variable armrest, has wide angle tilt plus headrest and a fabric that won't make you sweat like a pig.

Last edited:

somesang

Picked up a Secret Lab chair awhile back. 100% not recommended. It is durable however. It’s just not a comfy chair compared to dedicated office chair. I upgraded from an Aeron but will most likely switch to an Embody.

Herman Miller Aeron. I bought it at start of covid when I went fully remote. One of the best investments I've done. I used to get the odd back ache now I can sit on my fatass all day and no issue. Also they don't look fucking stupid. I had a DXRacer before and it was shit and looked ridiculous.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I have a Herman Miller that I use for work, reading and gaming. Owned it for about 2 years now. Zero signs of wear and tear. No complaints. No back problems.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I bought a craptacular "gaming chair" from Amazon back in 2020 and they don't even sell it anymore.
Honestly have no idea what my thought process was when I bought it, but I still use it. Albeit I had to get a seat cushion and lumbar back cushion.
If I couldn't get those cushions, I would've tossed it already.

Next chair will be a proper office chair.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Herman Miller Aeron.

Bought a refurbished one knowing the world was about to shut down for Covid, the single best purchase I've made in my life. Can sit for 18 hours in this thing - and I have - and not notice.

Gaming chairs are garbage.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Get an office chair for $100-200. That’s all you need to spend. Our office has budget office chairs since I started here 10 years ago and they are fine.

The key to any good office chair is having a comfortable high back so you can lean back as much as possible. You don’t want one of those half back chairs which feels like you fall backwards if you lean back too much.

Then again if you want to sit in a gaming chair that is red, blue or neon orange and called Gamer Xtreme Sniper Dude Ass Plopper X, the go ahead.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
+1 to Herman Miller Aeron. They're rather expensive but you might try and get a used one. That's what I did, been with me since 2018.

RickMasters

I’ve had a Corsair one in my studio for a few years now. It’s comfy, that’s for sure!

I like that it looks like a sports car seat too. Just get something comfortable.

Comfortgel

I bought one of those cheap amazon "gamer chairs" in 2019 for like $50 along with a lumbar pillow and seatcushion and it's been fine. My cats aren't declawed, and when they jump up to say hi, even if they don't mean to, their little claws tear up the material. IDC because it's in my office, and it was a $50 chair.

My buddy has a Secret Labs Titan XL and it's fucking amazing though.

Frwrd

No Way GIF

Get a Herman Miller, invest in yourself much more seriously than on the PC in its entirety, your back will thank you one day.

Sentenza

Well, i bought a "gaming chair" once and I know that I do NOT recommend any.
And to be clear, this is isn't a rant about "gaming brands being cheap in their materials". My conclusion is precisely that the ergonomy of what's today considered the default "gaming chair" is simply garbage compared to a lot of older generic office chairs that offered killer comfort, sometimes even at aggressive price ranges.

It just pains me that all the models that I KNEW from first hand experience to offer great comfort are now out of production for whatever fucking reason, so with my next one I'll be taking a stab in the dark once again.

Last edited:

Zelduh

Gaming Chairs are shit and feel like torture devices, get a nice high back high quality executive office chair

Rickyiez

Using a Haworth Zody , it's a pretty good ergo office chair for cheap . Got it used around $200

Had a SecretLab Titan before this and it's garbage tier . The seats and lumbar are basically non-existent , it's as hard as a plywood .

Had a Secret Lab for a couple of years. Fantastic chair with a ton of adjustability but the cushion was hard as f**k and hurt my ass. It still looked brand-new after a couple of years, though. Would've kept it if the cushion wasn't so damn hard.

nikos

Also recommend a Herman Miller. Got a Sayl about six years ago and I can't imagine sitting in anything else. I don't have a great back and I can still sit in it all day.

Top Bottom