• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - the best fighting game ever...change my mind!

VGEsoterica

Superlatives like "best of all time" get thrown around probably too much in gaming...and sure I am guilty of doing it right now as I type this...but I still firmly believe SNK made the best pure 2D fighting game of all time when they released MotW.

Its just pure SNK fighting game mechanics married to visuals that just seem TOO good for what was at that point in time a very long in the tooth hardware platform; the Neo Geo AES and MVS. It genuinely is hard to believe that a game that looks as good as Garou is running on a console that was OLD AF at that point in time both years and hardware wise. But SNK's developers knew the silicon inside and out and knew how to get every last tenth of a percent of power out of the hardware...and Garou is the result.

An iconic cast, a perfect fighting system, super well balanced and a rocking soundtrack just made this sheer perfection. I do love SF Alpha 2 and 3 and think they came VERY close to the greatness that is Mark of the Wolves....and its probably nostalgia doing the talking...but I do genuinely believe SNK made a perfect game here.

Plus I can't believe we are getting a sequel. I made a joke and said "I hope by X date we have an announcement"...and it happened. I should buy a lottery ticket because obviously I MADE IT HAPPEN lolol

But GAF...what is the actual best 2D fighting game? Feel free to agree with me down below that its Garou...or suggest something else. Because I love hearing your opinions and chatting about them :)

VGEsoterica

Honestly, I had more fun playing KOF 99, TBH.

Mainly because of its awesome funky jazz inspired soundtrack which complements the game so perfectly, then Streetfighter III 3rd Strike, MOTW is good for third spot though.
nothing wrong with liking KOF more. 2002 is my personal fav followed by 98. 99 does have that amazing rainy stage though...looks so good

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Could this one be the best looking 2D game ever? Those backgrounds are amazing, and the spritework and animations too.

Also, cool OST, as it should be with any fighting game.

I still prefer Capcom vs SNK 2, but that's probably just my nostalgia.

anthony2690

Banned
In your opinion sure, not going to say you're wrong, it's a nice fighter :)

But I personally much prefer:
Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend
Third Strike
Killer Instinct Reboot
Guilty Gear Accent Core+R
Street Fighter 6 beta (I miss it) :(

kubricks

But you are right.
The Last Blade 2 is also really good, gameplay wise I prefer motw but for the presentation and vibe TLB2 is still unmatched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Variahunter

Super well balanced ?

Can we talk about Kevin, Grant or Kain ? Those characters are completely overpowered compared to the rest of the cast, even compared to top tiers like Gato...

But great game nonetheless !

Last edited:

Banned
Super well balanced ?

Can we talk about Kevin, Grant or Kain ? Those characters are completely overpowered compared to the rest of the cast, even compared to top tiers like Gato...

But great game nonetheless !

hidden boss characters shouldn't be held against the balance of a game IMO

Variahunter

hidden boss characters shouldn't be held against the balance of a game IMO
Kevin is not hidden and is even better than bosses. Gato is top tier too.
And those bosses are selectable in every arcade cabinet, which result in bosses being selectable in tourneys, much like Juri/Juni and Balrog in SFZ3.
Everybody uses Kain and Grant in japanese arcades.

If the developper makes a character selectable, it should balance that character.

Banned
Kevin is not hidden and is even better than bosses. Gato is top tier too.
And those bosses are selectable in every arcade cabinet, which result in bosses being selectable in tourneys, much like Juri/Juni and Balrog in SFZ3.
Everybody uses Kain and Grant in japanese arcades.

If the developper makes a character selectable, it should balance that character.

the developers made them selectable but in the og arcade version it was basically a cheat. only the newer Xbox 360 release and after have them selectable more easily.

so IMO that doesn't really count, tournaments also could easily make them illegal, if they don't that's also something I wouldn't hold against the game itself.

Gato and Kevin are really strong regular characters tho of course. but the bosses don't count imo

kunonabi

Nothing beats Vampire Savior for me although I do respect GG Accent Core++ or whatever.

Garou is fantastic but I'm still partial to Real Bout Fatal Fury Special myself. Just captures the essence of Fatal Fury better.

DelireMan7

Haven't time to read the thread now but yes ! Garou MOTW is definitely the best fighting game ever.
A truly amazing game.

KO7

Oh wow, totally missed the announcement that a sequel is coming. Excited to check it out alongside SF6.

VGEsoterica

Nothing beats Vampire Savior for me although I do respect GG Accent Core++ or whatever.

Garou is fantastic but I'm still partial to Real Bout Fatal Fury Special myself. Just captures the essence of Fatal Fury better.
Real Bout was still “Fatal Fury” where Garou feels like the new version of Fatal Fury. Tonally quite different but same franchise

DelireMan7

Plus I can't believe we are getting a sequel. I made a joke and said "I hope by X date we have an announcement"...and it happened. I should buy a lottery ticket because obviously I MADE IT HAPPEN lolol

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

Where's the source ? I need to see it from my own eye.
Hope it's a 2D sequel.

A.Romero

I also missed the announcement for the sequel...

I like Garou Densetsu a lot but not the best.

IMO from the classics:

MvC2
SFIII Third Strike
Mark of the wolves

And for modern fighting games nothing is currently touching Arc Systems. DBZ Fighterz and Guilty Gear are just superb.

Naked Lunch

Garou and SF3.
Tied for the greatest of all time.
There will never be a better fighting game than those 2. Just not possible.

FeralEcho

While I do like Garou MOTW and I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel I think it's silly to call it the Best fighting game ever considering Third Strike and MVC2 exist.I think it's Impossible to pick just one.For me at least...Oh and Alpha 3...

Also, speaking of sprite work I still think SNK's best sprite work is not in their fighting games but in the Metal Slug Series...Metal Slug 2 and 3 in particular have arguably the greatest spritework ever to grace our screens.

Samurai Shodown V Special/Final is by far the best fighter ever.
Garou is "just" more fun and simple to pick and play. So it makes sense why Garou has a lot of fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom