• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proven Fake: Garry's Mod is removing all Nintendo related content from their workshop due to a takedown from Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Some of you may have noticed that certain Nintendo related workshop items have recently been taken down. This is not a mistake, the takedowns came from Nintendo. Honestly, this is fair enough. This is Nintendo's content and what they allow and don't allow is up to them. They don't want you playing with that stuff in Garry's Mod - that's their decision, we have to respect that and take down as much as we can. This is an ongoing process, as we have 20 years of uploads to go through. If you want to help us by deleting your Nintendo related uploads and never uploading them again, that would help us a lot.

Cobaiye

Now watch them takedown that classic video because it uses Nintendo content in Gmod

I'm gonna fucking loose it if they do !

ReyBrujo

LOL except nintendo aren't, i guess the thread missed some important info in their rush to rage

Doesn't matter, any excuse is a good one to troll Nintendo :lollipop_hushed:

Right, it's common knowledge that mods for a 20 years old game is such a big threat to those IPs, jfc.
Personally I think technology moves at such a fast pace that any patent should expire after 20 years and that copyright laws should be adjusted accordingly. In any case I cannot condemn a company using the law, I work for a company that does exactly the same even if it's in a different market.

Last edited:

Cobaiye

LOL except nintendo aren't, i guess the thread missed some important info in their rush to rage

That tweet dates back to February, a lot of things could have changed since then. I also don't see how this would be fake considering Facepunch officialy posted the news themselves.

K' Dash

You don't have to bend over that hard, have some common sense and you'll understand how wrong that move is.

don't mistake my facts with "bending over", the only one butt hurt here is you.

It's their property, period. You don't have to like it.

tkscz

Nintendo's lawyers trying to make themselves useful under all the lay-offs I see. Do any of them even fall under DMCA? No one makes money off them and most those mods are over 20 years old at this point.

Seems there was more to the post underneath

This was a month ago, though that would make more sense considering I can't imaging Nintendo even given a damn about G-mod when none of the modders make a cent from it.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Did they get a new head of legal? Nintendo is being fucking aggressive about this, it's like back in the Yamauchi days.

Edit: so it was a fake DMCA? Wild

Last edited:

Gojiira

I feel like they understand the concept fully it just doesn’t apply at all in this context and the way you’re wanting it to. 😂
It totally does, Garrys Mod does not compete with anything Nintendo makes, all the Nintendo content is modded and available for free, can be considered parody as well. Ergo Fair Use.
Yeah it does apply in this context…

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I don't. Their behavior towards fans is antagonistic
Definitely agreed 100%. Nintendo is a shit company. I’m just still surprised soooo many people back them up. Figured gamers would catch on by this point. But, yaaaaayyy! Switch 2!!! (That’s still not released or even announced at this point). It’s beyond me how gamers are so gung ho about Nintendo…coming from someone who’s whole childhood was positive solely due to NES and SNES.

Ribi

Allegedly it's a troll doing fake DMCA claims.

Even so, why do you people continue to like Nintendo? They don't do anything new and keep fucking their customers in the ass

Nintendo's lawyers trying to make themselves useful under all the lay-offs I see. Do any of them even fall under DMCA? No one makes money off them and most those mods are over 20 years old at this point.

This was a month ago, though that would make more sense considering I can't imaging Nintendo even given a damn about G-mod when none of the modders make a cent from it.
It's not about money, it's about control over their IP. Nintendo has so much money it's just ridiculous. Can safely say Nintendo hasn't worried at all about money since 2017. And yeah, Nintendo has great lawyers. NoA in particular has always been extremely aggressive with litigation, which helped them greatly in the early days and continues to still be a priority for them, in the name of protecting their IP.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
cheepotendo care about garveys mod when they will pass PS2??

tommy-boy-chris-farley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom