• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Financial Times: Sony and Nintendo left to battle in console wars as Microsoft signals exit

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While the US technology giant has said it is still working on a new generation of more powerful consoles, analysts think its long-term direction is clear.

“All signs point to the hardware becoming less and less important to Microsoft, so there is that possibility that we could go back to a point like we were in the 1990s where the viable choices of console were all Japanese,” said Serkan Toto, head of the games consultancy Kantan Games.

Giving up the console fight to concentrate on software could be taken as a huge victory for Japan. To many, the birthplace of Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy and Pokémon is the spiritual home of the console and has featured industry’s fiercest “golden age” 1980s and 1990s clashes of Nintendo vs Sega, and later, Nintendo vs Sony.

“It may not happen immediately because the technology of cloud gaming is clearly not ready yet, but from what Microsoft is indicating, there is a possibility that we go back to an all-Japan console industry with Sony and Nintendo each dominating their part of that market in their different, unique ways.” said David Gibson, an analyst at MST Financial.

But the return to a Japan-only industry for dedicated games hardware could more clearly define the console as a commercial cul-de-sac.

That issue, said independent games analyst Pelham Smithers, could be particularly acute for Sony, which last week announced plans to cut 900 staff from its games unit.

“It was tough enough for Sony arguing the need to investors for a PS5 — and a lot of people at the time were saying that the PS5 could be the end of the line — but Microsoft’s commitment to console gaming helped,” said Smithers.

Microsoft, which has spent huge sums on acquisitions of game studios such as the $75bn purchase of Activision, is facing similar issues with its hardware economics. Analysts said the US company may have greater motivation than Sony to become an all-platform king

“The state of the console market right now may not be an advertisement per se for Japan getting its mojo back. It feels more like these three very idiosyncratic businesses are doing well or not for idiosyncratic reasons,” said Robin Zhu, games analyst at Bernstein.

There is a chance that Microsoft’s new direction is a “win, win, win situation”, according to Atul Goyal at Jefferies, because of the different situation each company finds itself in.

Microsoft, he said, could pump up returns by offering its games across different platforms while Nintendo and Sony would face “less intense competition” and benefit from having a wider choice of titles for customers.

But, as Zhu said, one factor that might keep Microsoft from killing off the Xbox entirely is the same thing that will keep Sony and Nintendo in the market — the fierce loyalty of gamers.

“The concern [Microsoft] will have is that you’ve already convinced your customers to buy the hardware; by telling them that Xbox games will be on every other platform, you risk upsetting your highest engagement and most dogmatic customers,” he said.

Topher

Gold Member
Removed paywall via archive.is

"Gibson said Sony’s problems are very different: its PS5 machine, now four years old, is popular but its games business is now guided by “accountants”, rather than people primed to manage a creative business."

youre right GIF

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

To think that these people earn their money by just stating the obvious.

Anyone with a brain knows the most healthy situation for the gaming industry would be healthy (in)direct competition between Playstation, Nintendo and PC, each pushing the industry forward with their own innovations.

For MS, the best possible scenario would be to become a full-fledged 3rd party publisher.

200.gif

Well, MS have a lot of coins.

They are in a strange place and I agree it gives new buyers/people (even) less of a reason to buy Xbox hardware.

I think the only way this makes sense is if Playstation and Nintendo are forced into having GP.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think the console market, as it exists now, is unsustainable. It’s based around launching a new high-end piece of hardware, then funding some big AAA showpiece exclusives to justify the hardware’s existence.

Now we’ve reached the point where those AAA games are taking insanely long + expensive to create, and most of them are cross gen. How many more generations can that formula even survive?

Nintendo is in a somewhat better position as they have a huge library of beloved IPs that they can crank out at a fraction of the cost. But even then, it’s no guarantee. Just look at Wii U, even having Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, and Zelda wasn’t enough.

00_Zer0

Sadly, It's been proven that since the Atari days no US based console maker ever lasts long in the grand scheme of things. Sure MS was popular during the 360 era, but they never have pivoted since then to gain that worldwide player base back.

Personally, I love Japanese based consoles and games the best, but in recent years Sony has even lost it's shine when they disbanded some of their awesome Japanese Studios that use to offer unique experiences.

Since Sony and Microsoft are catering more to a Western audience these days that leaves me with choosing Switch and Steam as my primary gaming platforms. Hell, I'd argue that between Switch and Steam I get more of those Japanese games I love, than Microsoft and Sony combined. No need to even go the Sony route when so many Japanese games are available on Switch and Steam.

jm89

"Gibson said Sony’s problems are very different: its PS5 machine, now four years old, is popular but its games business is now guided by “accountants”, rather than people primed to manage a creative business."

youre right GIF
Yeah this is very true.

The interim SIE CEO Totoki is a bean counter in every sense of the word.

Guys like that are a cancer to lead a creative division like playstation.

Although his worries anyone can understand, for a company that makes almost as much revenue as xbox and nintendo they have some seriously low profit margins.

yurinka

"There is a chance that Microsoft’s new direction is a “win, win, win situation”, according to Atul Goyal at Jefferies

This article is a joke xDDD

It's embarassing to see how they try to make it look as if the consoles were dying and MS made a smart decision moving on. When clearly isn't the case, consoles are better than ever and MS is moving away because they are acknowledging that have been defeated and would be better to them to abandon their console and become a multiplatform 3rd party publisher in the console space.

Last edited:
MS taking control of its games division was something they needed to do a decade ago.

But games are so paltry for a company of MS’ ambition that leadership was content letting it glide along to avoid confronting the board.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Sony and nintendo did do battle.

And nintendo got their asses handed to them, left and right.
That's a bit lopsided of an interpretation. Absolutely, the PS1/2 generations saw a major shift towards Sony on the home console space, but Nintendo held their ground in the portable space--and every single battle in that domain over the years was won decisively by them (no PSP has even warranted being more than a forgotten historical footnote against the Nintendo product of its time). Then the Wii era established a new pattern where Nintendo's combined halves (home + portable) exceeded everyone in market impact by finding a new audience... and when Sony tried to follow that new money train with products like Move, they completely and decisively failed.

Now both are in a place they can coexist.
I agree with this part. The Sony competition made Nintendo further differentiate towards their strengths and abandon other areas where they couldn't win. The Switch's portable nature is a result of that history and of Nintendo staking out a terrain that is different enough from Sony's that the two aren't as fundamentally at war anymore. I have a PS5+Switch and so do millions of others, it's a perfect combo.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
200.gif

Well, MS have a lot of coins.

They are in a strange place and I agree it gives new buyers/people (even) less of a reason to buy Xbox hardware.

I think the only way this makes sense is if Playstation and Nintendo are forced into having GP.
Even if MS got their wish, GP is a downloadable service, you still need PS and Nintendo versions of Xbox 1st party games.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Throughout the course of 2023 there have been less support for Xbox with a significant amount of rumors that they need to reach more gamers, and that Microsoft would endorse distancing themselves from hardware (computers, zune, Nokia windows phones, Kinect) so we’ll see if Xbox hardware joins those, and than there’s comments of the Xbox 720 and sequel to the 360 and what type of console that will be whether hybrid like switch or more PC like.

ReyBrujo

When clearly isn't the case, consoles are better than ever

There was a time when they were "better than ever", nowadays mobile gaming revenue is more than both consoles and PC combined. And considering development costs Microsoft might be considering feasible taking a different path. Not for the time being, I agree there, but in the long term.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Their last show confirmed next gen hardware (I dunno how they are measuring the greatest leap yet) and said even more options for consoles and controllers THIS holiday but its a signal they are leaving the console business?

I stand by my statements I have made they are doubling down on their console efforts with a couple of cool consoles coming and seem to be thinking a little outside the box

I made the statement about 6 months or so ago MS did not want to compete directly with the PS6 so it seems Xbox will launch its nextbox much earlier but I also see the other option of not competing directly with the PS6.

It was tough enough for Sony arguing the need to investors for a PS5 — and a lot of people at the time were saying that the PS5 could be the end of the line
I didn't realise Playstation's existence was so tenuous, especially since it's one of Sony's most important products 🔍

I wonder if SIE could withstand another "PS3" generation in the current climate.

Fredrik

"There is a chance that Microsoft’s new direction is a “win, win, win situation”, according to Atul Goyal at Jefferies

This article is a joke xDDD

It's embarassing to see how they try to make it look as if the consoles were dying and MS made a smart decision moving on. When clearly isn't the case, consoles are better than ever and MS is moving away because they are acknowledging that have been defeated and would be better to them to abandon their console and become a multiplatform 3rd party publisher in the console space.
If you read past that quoted sentence you’ll see that the ”win, win, win” is referring to how MS (win 1) can earn more money by selling games on more platforms and Sony (win 2) and Nintendo (win 3) can earn more money from having less competition.

//DEVIL//

All I can say is I am glad I sold my Xbox. And the series S will be the last console I have but I am not getting rid of yet just because my son is attached to it now.

Good riddance.

You try to support the underdog for as much as you can..but if the dog is dead stupid, then fuck off lol

Last edited:

Kacho

Their last show confirmed next gen hardware (I dunno how they are measuring the greatest leap yet) and said even more options for consoles and controllers THIS holiday but its a signal they are leaving the console business?
They confirmed a next gen Xbox way before then. They were just stating it again as a way to mitigate damage after the third party rumors blew up.

We can expect their participation in one more generation, but after that it's probably up in the air. If sales don't improve (and they likely won't) it's over.

God bless anyone confidently investing in the Xbox ecosystem right now. They are brave souls.

Killjoy-NL

I stand by my statements I have made they are doubling down on their console efforts with a couple of cool consoles coming and seem to be thinking a little outside the box

I made the statement about 6 months or so ago MS did not want to compete directly with the PS6 so it seems Xbox will launch its nextbox much earlier but I also see the other option of not competing directly with the PS6.
The question would be:

Who is left to buy said hardware?
With GP, you don't need Xbox hardware.
All games are on the table to go to Playstation and Nintendo as well.
PC already has day 1 releases.

All by their own admission and PR.

They'll probably be looking at ~25M lifetime sales for a possible next-gen, at best.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member

youre right GIF

This should be a far bigger story than console competitors. And this is happening with every big publisher. Creativity is being smothered by corporate boardrooms and marketing committees.

Alebrije

For articles like this is why AI is taking Jobs on writting industry so easily. pointing the obvious is not a great job.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They confirmed a next gen Xbox way before then. They were just stating it again as a way to mitigate damage after the third party rumors blew up.

We can expect their participation in one more generation, but after that it's probably up in the air. If sales don't improve (and they likely won't) it's over.

God bless anyone confidently investing in the Xbox ecosystem right now. They are brave souls.
Yeah they haven't waivered I was just reinforcing the last thing we heard from them, quite recently in fact, they were not leaving the console market

The question would be:

Who is left to buy said hardware?
With GP, you don't need Xbox hardware.
All games are on the table to go to Playstation and Nintendo as well.
PC already has day 1 releases.

All by their own admission and PR.
I have said it many times but bears repeating that I know a lot of people who only own an Xbox and will only ever buy an Xbox if its available because they don't care about the Sony offerings nor do they want to play on PC

We can revisit this if its ever confirmed ALL Xbox games are coming to PS and Nintendo day one

Killjoy-NL

Yeah they haven't waivered I was just reinforcing the last thing we heard from them, quite recently in fact, they were not leaving the console market

I have said it many times but bears repeating that I know a lot of people who only own an Xbox and will only ever buy an Xbox if its available because they don't care about the Sony offerings nor do they want to play on PC

We can revisit this if its ever confirmed ALL Xbox games are coming to PS and Nintendo day one
That's why I said they will probably have 25M lifetime sales at best.

There will always be a market. It will just be extremely small.

Last edited:

Fredrik

All I can say is I am glad I sold my Xbox. And the series S will be the last console I have but I am not getting rid of yet just because my son is attached to it now.

Good riddance.
I still have my Series X but likely won’t buy another Xbox unless they cripple BC somehow or they start doing real console exclusives again.
Building a PC for the living room this weekend, that’s my new Xbox, and Playstation.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's why I said they will probably have 25M lifetime sales at best.

There will always be a market. It will just be extremely small.
Likely and I don't know what they would consider viable sales wise.

I have brought this up before only because it has been mentioned to me privately but some at the Xbox roundtable (yes its real) liked the idea of trying to push their nextbox to launch close to GTA6 and hope that moves the needle

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

Top Bottom