• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting a new TV... SM9000 or Q70R?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So I'm about to get a new TV that will be hooked up on my PC and consoles and it's hard as hell to choose one because it has so many tidbits that can change everything

The LG SM9000 is a "future proof" thing with HDMI 2.1 and the new consoles can take advantage of it. Also, IPS display, so I can view easily, great OS and is not that expensive. The problem is basically everything else, with not that great dark or brightness and etc.

Samsung Q70 has pretty blacks, pretty whites, better color overral... But it's V.A., which may botter me if the height or sides are different when it should be, doesn't have HDMI 2.1, so Xbox Next and PS5 will not use everything that possibly can offer and it's a little expensive

Side notes:
My room is brighte and I don't have that much money, so OLED is not a thing to me
Didn't look into sound quality, but i heard that today's TVs are all bad and maybe I get a soundbar later
I'm all about options, so if you say that Sony is better, I go for it
Is 50% for gaming on consoles, 50% for PC use, Netflix and stuff

Help, GAF

Last edited:
I'd say Sony to. Maybe hold off for micro led and earc and new HDMI standard. You will get them all on one set soon for a good price and you will be fine for years to come. đź‘Ť

Last edited:

Banned
don't buy a Sony TV if you want a good gaming TV

Sony TVs have awful input latency, among the worst of all high profile brands.

LG and Samsung is the way to go for good gaming TVs

some Samsung TVs go as low as 7ms if you use freesync.

meanwhile some Sony TVs go as high as 30 to 40ms, which is frankly ridiculously bad... and getting a Sony TV with less than 20ms is impossible... hell less than 30ms is rare for a Sony as far as I remember

Last edited:
So I'm about to get a new TV that will be hooked up on my PC and consoles and it's hard as hell to choose one because it has so many tidbits that can change everything

The LG SM9000 is a "future proof" thing with HDMI 2.1 and the new consoles can take advantage of it. Also, IPS display, so I can view easily, great OS and is not that expensive. The problem is basically everything else, with not that great dark or brightness and etc.

Samsung Q70 has pretty blacks, pretty whites, better color overral... But it's V.A., which may botter me if the height or sides are different when it should be, doesn't have HDMI 2.1, so Xbox Next and PS5 will not use everything that possibly can offer and it's a little expensive

Side notes:
My room is brighte and I don't have that much money, so OLED is not a thing to me
Didn't look into sound quality, but i heard that today's TVs are all bad and maybe I get a soundbar later

Help, GAF

As with every single other discussion you'll get a back and forth on which one to get by people who hold some sort of allegiance one way or the other. As evidenced above, buy Sony! Don't buy Sony!

This is all you'll need to make a decision, and it's actually a pretty clear cut one.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q70r-vs-lg-sm9000/782/887

Last edited:
I bought a Sammy Q6 over a year ago and ive been really happy with it.
I'll have to wait and see what the hdmi 2.1 brings to the table to know if it's worth upgrading when ps5 drops.
As an old fogey, all the graphical whizz-bang isn't necessarily important to me. I run my pro locked at 1080p on a 4k display just so I don't have to listen to the fan scream at me all the time.

bigedole

I bought a Q70R earlier this year and my family loves it. It's hard for me to find any fault with it. I got it for $1600, very happy with it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
As with every single other discussion you'll get a back and forth on which one to get by people who hold some sort of allegiance one way or the other. As evidenced above, buy Sony! Don't buy Sony!

This is all you'll need to make a decision, and it's actually a pretty clear cut one.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q70r-vs-lg-sm9000/782/887
I saw this yesterday. That's why I said the stuff up there, but it's everything "number based" and TVs are weird, so I'm looking more for a personal opinion

Everything points to Q7, but I'm kinda worried about the HDMI 2.1. I plan to pass 10 years with this TV

I saw this yesterday. That's why I said the stuff up there, but it's everything "number based" and TVs are weird, so I'm looking more for a personal opinion

Everything points to Q7, but I'm kinda worried about the HDMI 2.1. I plan to pass 10 years with this TV

I guess you have to ask yourself what it is you're looking for. In the end, objectively, the Samsung is the better of the two. You said your room is bright and the Samsung gets brighter, among other benefits.

If you're concerned about 2.1 that's a whole other set of circumstances to consider. Honestly if you're wanting 2.1 and plan on keeping the tv for a decade you'll ha e to dropping a bunch more dough than these two tvs.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung 65Q70R.

As a gaming TV, it is unmatched. Incredibly clear motion with 120hz blinking in Game Mode and no interpolation, 15 ms input lag (as measured by RTings) in both SDR and HDR Game modes, high brightness especially in HDR, and very deep blacks. For a TV, deep blacks matter much more than computer monitors, which is why OLED even exists and is a thing despite the risk of burn-in. The Samsung also supports a 60hz blink mode for even clearer motion, and if you aren't sensitive to the flickering like I am, it's amazing. 60hz refresh gives me a splitting headache but the option is there if you want it.

The concern about HDMI 2.1? Well, if you are that concerned about latest technology, you shouldn't be keeping a TV for 10 years anyways. My last TV ended up being with me more than 4 years and I regretted not upgrading sooner. I love my 65Q70R for gaming and it is a very very good TV for movies and watching sports too although there are better pure movie TV's such as the OLED TV's.

My previous TV was a Sony and I can confirm that while Sony tends offer better image quality than Samsung, it also offers worse input lag. If you are buying a TV for gaming, your #1, #2, and #3 concerns should be about input lag and Samsung is superior in input lag. Your #4 concern should be burn-in because gaming is very hard on TV's with fixed UI's and HUD's everywhere so if you are primarily gaming and don't watch enough other mixed content you are very likely to burn an OLED in with your game UI's. I've burned a game UI into a Panasonic plasma TV before and that was a not a fun way to piss away $2,500 so I'm very careful with what kind of TV I buy for gaming now.

Last edited:

Corrik

meanwhile some Sony TVs go as high as 30 to 40ms, which is frankly ridiculously bad... and getting a Sony TV with less than 20ms is impossible... hell less than 30ms is rare for a Sony as far as I remember
My Sony TV has great input lag numbers.

Venuspower

Maybe hold off for micro led

You know how expensive MicroLEDs are?
They start at >$ 500000 at the moment.

As long as OP is not Bill Gates he won't be able to get a MicroLED for years.
Even Samsung knows that they won't be able to bring MicroLED to the mass market in the next
few years. Otherwise, they would not have invested 10.9 billion to crank up the production of Quantum-Dot-OLEDs in 2021 (Those QD-OLEDs will be available in late 2021 or 2022).

Last edited:

This is false. Most tv's anymore have completely acceptable input lag. The caveat being that you need to make sure the tv's are in game mode. This was already linked, but if you scroll down to the input lag numbers, the Q70 input lag in game mode is 15 ms and the Samsung is 14 ms.

HDMI 2.1 is a valid concern, but it will be a while before it's used much and even longer before it becomes mainstream. Also, I wouldn't worry about viewing angle. You're rarely going to be playing games or watching tv/movies at an off angle. Some people are more sensitive to changes to the color than others, but I think it's definitely sensationalized to a degree. Unless you are sitting in a completely dark room and well off center you're probably not going to notice a huge difference with these newer tv's. I'd sacrifice viewing angle regardless for the better contrast and overall picture quality.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Avoid Sony TVs unless there is feedback from Sony it is fixed..... and that is a TV system update they did early this year broke HDMI ARC. Google it yourself. Or, to avoid this make sure not to update the TV so it runs on the raw OS and dashboard it comes with which works.

People (like me who bought a Sony TV) can't get sound to play through our home theatre systems unless we use an optical audio cable, as an update broke the HDMI/ARC link for audio.

Also, my TV has a small 2x2 or 3x3 black pixel mess up (dead pixels). It is under Costco warranty so I will at some point get the pixels fixed, but I got time so I will wait for more Sony screw ups before sending it for free repairs.

Should have stuck with my Panasonic TV, but I sold it and bought this one..... Sony 900e. Avoid.

Last edited:
Why aren't you going through your receiver first and then to the TV? The whole point of having a receiver is it becomes the HDMI hub and the TV only has 1 input to it, from the receiver.

HDMI ARC has been a meme since forever. Avoid using it at all costs.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why aren't you going through your receiver first and then to the TV? The whole point of having a receiver is it becomes the HDMI hub and the TV only has 1 input to it, from the receiver.

HDMI ARC has been a meme since forever. Avoid using it at all costs.
Not sure.

I copied the same layout I did with my Pansonic TV which I sold (I have an old Panasonic 5.1 home theatre set up through a BR player) and it worked. My Panny home theatre is not a 4k system, or is even a receiver (not a big Yamaha one with tons of inputs and outputs).

I have tried funneling cables to the Panny home theatre first, then connect to the TV, but since I got an Xbox X and a Sony 900e 4k (before it was Xbox One OG + a 1080p TV), I connected Xbox X to the TV direct, and then had an HDMI/ARC cable to go from the TV to the Panny unit for audio. This used to all work before the Sony TV update.

My 4k Rogers cable box is also hooked up direct to the TV direct, and the audio would funnel down to the Panny unit.

Last edited:
Okay I may have been wrong on some Sony TV's 01011001 01011001 lol. The 900F input lag for HD video is 41 ms. The 900E is 32 ms. Which honestly still isn't that bad but better to actually check each tv you're interested in.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd say Sony to. Maybe hold off for micro led and earc and new HDMI standard. You will get them all on one set soon for a good price and you will be fine for years to come. đź‘Ť
Micro LED is several years away. It's amazing how many times this has to get repeated.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Side notes:

Help, GAF
Both of those TVs are crap compared to what you can get. Right now the 55" Q70R is going on amazon for $1097.

At that price it is infinitely better to go for the 55" LG B8 OLED since it is also selling for $1097 and is a drastically better TV. Perfect blacks, excellent input lag and since you mentioned PC, console and Netflix, you should be covered as far as worrying about burn-in.

If you are deadset on getting an LED then I'd recommend just saving some $$$ and get a TCL R625.
It will be several $100 cheaper than either TV and will perform pretty close to both.

Don't buy the Q70R or the LG IPS. Total waste of money and there are better TVs

Last edited:
Top Bottom