• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaiff needs Gaf to buy a TV for the PS5 Pro

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I haven't looked at TVs in perhaps 8 years. The last time I actively shopped for one was when I got my PS4 Pro. Now I'm fittingly enough shopping for one for the upcoming PS5 Pro. The old Samsung I got is 4K but only 60Hz and from the year 2016. I need something better. Also, it's dead, so there's that.

It'll be primarily for gaming with movies as a secondary use. Maybe I'll hook up my rig to it but probably not since my monitor is good enough for that.

Budget? Not sure yet. List a bunch of TVs you guys recommend and I'll see if the price makes sense for me. Ideally, below $2500. As for size, 55" and above. Last I checked, OLED were the kings of TVs but I heard other types really caught up and they're no longer the undisputed champs

- $2500 budget (unless it's a can't-miss TV that costs $10K but goes on sale for $3K)
- 55"+ (ideally 60 or above)
- Primarily for console gaming but also a bit for movies
- Don't need the latest model. In fact, I hear it's good to buy one right when new models are introduced because the older ones get a significant price cut
- Probably doesn't matter but I also have an Xbox One X, a PS3, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch, so something that plays nice with them too at 30Hz and I heard OLED is awful there
- I have the Alienware AW3423DWF for my PC so no need for another monitor

Thanks, bros.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You can get a 65" OLED for less than $2500 I'm pretty sure, LG C3 if you want every single gaming feature/tech but 2nd best image quality or a Sony OLED if you want best movie experience and IQ but a couple of missing gaming tech stuffs.

WorldHero

I haven't looked at TVs in perhaps 8 years. The last time I actively shopped for one was when I got my PS4 Pro. Now I'm fittingly enough shopping for one for the upcoming PS5 Pro. The old Samsung I got is 4K but only 60Hz and from the year 2016. I need something better. Also, it's dead, so there's that.

It'll be primarily for gaming with movies as a secondary use. Maybe I'll hook up my rig to it but probably not since my monitor is good enough for that.

Budget? Not sure yet. List a bunch of TVs you guys recommend and I'll see if the price makes sense for me. Ideally, below $2500. As for size, 55" and above. Last I checked, OLED were the kings of TVs but I heard other types really caught up and they're no longer the undisputed champs

- $2500 budget (unless it's a can't-miss TV that costs $10K but goes on sale for $3K)
- 55"+ (ideally 60 or above)
- Primarily for console gaming but also a bit for movies
- Don't need the latest model. In fact, I hear it's good to buy one right when new models are introduced because the older ones get a significant price cut
- Probably doesn't matter but I also have an Xbox One X, a PS3, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch, so something that plays nice with them too at 30Hz and I heard OLED is awful there

Thanks, bros.
I'm in the same boat as you. I got the 55 inch Samsung KS8000 when the PS4 Pro dropped. Looking for recommendations in this thread to upgrade.

Quantum253

Going from an 8 year old TV (or from the PS4 Pro times, which is when I got my LG OLED B6), you can pretty much go with any OLD/QDOLED from the big 3 (Sony/LG/Samsung) and get an amazing set that will blow your mind

Last edited:

Gaiff

Buy a 4K OLED 240hz monitor with hdmi 2.1 instead 😜
LG is still the king IMO for OLED gaming TV if you have to

You can get a 65" OLED for less than $2500 I'm pretty sure, LG C3 if you want every single gaming feature/tech but 2nd best image quality or a Sony OLED if you want best movie experience and IQ but a couple of missing gaming tech stuffs.
Are OLED TVs that bad at 30Hz? Because that's the main complaint I hear about them here. I won't do that much gaming on my older consoles but it'd still be nice to have something that doesn't look like a blurry mess when I play them on it.

Gaiff

Buy a 4K OLED 240hz monitor with hdmi 2.1 instead 😜
LG is still the king IMO for OLED gaming TV if you have to
I already have the AW3223DWF and I'm never going back to 16:9.

LG 65 inch C3 for $1600.00. If you want the 77 inch it’s $2230

Follow-up question, I read that March-April is a good time to be buying new TVs because that's apparently when new models tend to get released. Should I buy something in the coming weeks or wait? Obviously, waiting until the holidays is out of the question but if I gotta rush to buy a TV before the discounts end, I'd like to know.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Follow-up question, I read that March-April is a good time to be buying new TVs because that's apparently when new models tend to get released. Should I buy something in the coming weeks or wait? Obviously, waiting until the holidays is out of the question but if I gotta rush to buy a TV before the discounts end, I'd like to know.
AW3423DW here, yep great screen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dont go 75 inch. they are too big for gaming, but amazing for movies.

65 inch is perfect for a small room if you sit 6 feet away.

Go with LG. dont do sony. i bought a 65 inch LGCX for $1,800 in 2020. you should be able to as well.

30 fps on oled is fine as long as you dont switch back and forth but wont be necessary with the ps5 pro.

lg's latest refresh (c4, g4) is just starting to trickle out, so deal on the last gen have begun.

deals will probably get better over time, but you also run the risk of inventory getting depleted.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Calm down my guy, they haven't even officially announced the PS5 Pro.

For all you know, the "insiders" that leaked its release date being this fall could be wrong. It might be out next year, in which case your TV is now a year out of date meaning a better model will probably be on the market by then.

Mr.Phoenix

With a budget of $2500... you can't really miss. You can go either Oled or miniLED. You can't go wrong with either.

My recommendation would actually be the Hisense u8k. For just around $2100 you can get a 85 incher. Mini LED, 1500+ nits, VRR and all that and 144hz.

Add another $2500 and you can get the 100 incher.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
If you need it purely for gaming - LG or Samsung
If you need it for a well-rounded TV - Sony

OLED is great but honestly, the LCD screens these days are really good.

Bojji

TV sucks. Buy an ultrawide screen. 165+hz.

PS5 Pro won't use that.

Are OLED TVs that bad at 30Hz? Because that's the main complaint I hear about them here. I won't do that much gaming on my older consoles but it'd still be nice to have something that doesn't look like a blurry mess when I play them on it.

Judder is more noticeable "thanks" to super fast pixel response time but at the same time new LCD tvs are also faster than old LCD tvs so 30FPS will look worse anyway.

OLED is the best in most categories but displaying 30FPS content isn't one of them. Thankfully most console games are 60FPS (even 40 looks very good on OLED) and Pro will make performance modes very good looking with that Ai upscale.

Gaiff

Calm down my guy
lord-of-the-rings-no.gif

For real though, my TV is dead so I need a new one anyway.

BlackTron

If you're buying a TV for the PS5 Pro, you may as well wait until the Pro is actually out and get the best deal on the best TV that exists then, because it will be better than where we stand today...

Edit: didn't realize your TV is dead, nvm

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Gaiff

Plenty large but you said earlier 75" is too much.

Also, everyone says the LG but what about the Samsung and Sony ones? RTINGS has them as the top two best TVs.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

The Sony X93L/CL or the Samsung S90 more specifically.

SlimySnake

Also, everyone says the LG but what about the Samsung and Sony ones? RTINGS has them as the top two best TVs.

sony burned me with the x900h so i am never going with sony again. samsung was good to me, but LG knows oled and hdmi 2.1 features.

75 is too much in a small man cave. but in a decent size living room, 77 inch would be great. i have the sony x900h 75 inch in my living room and it doesnt feel overwhelming at all. i wish i had an 85 inch. it was massive in my office and too big for gaming up close.

I have a 55S95C from Samsung and it's incredible for gaming. Some people have issues with OneConnect box giving them blackouts, but I never experienced this playing PS5.

Kings Field

The best time to buy TVs used to be around Super Bowl time. That’s when they had the best prices or at least as good as Black Friday/holiday prices.

It won’t hurt to wait until the new models drop and snag last years model. Prices might even be a little better or at least the same.

I’ve been rocking a CX since they launched and have been really happy with it. Before that came out I was buying the new OLED model every year but the CX does exactly what I want from it so I’m sure the C3 will last you YEARS.

Buggy Loop

I got the X93L since I have a bright room and didn’t want to deal with burn in with kids

It’s so good. HDR movies on it are so good and keeps all the shadow details. Sony processing is king.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That's a healthy budget. QD OLED perhaps? I hear it's the best of both worlds with more LCD like brightness and the OLED contrast. That's what I plan on getting when the Pro drops.

Gaiff

That's a healthy budget. QD OLED perhaps? I hear it's the best of both worlds with more LCD like brightness and the OLED contrast. That's what I plan on getting when the Pro drops.
Been looking into QD OLED and really like the higher brightness and colors but what scares me is the higher chance of burn-in than even standard OLED.

Senua

I have a 65" LG C3 and it's absolutely brilliant, but this years C4's (among others) are going to have support for G-sync Pulsar which going by nvidia's track record should be awesome.

I've had several LG OLEDs over the past five years. This year, I tried Sony. It's nearly perfect. Grab the a95k or a95l and don't waste your time looking elsewhere. No for god's sake, do not buy Samsung.

PS: don't fall for the burn in FUD. My LG C9 went through almost 6000 hours of PC and PS gaming and the panel was mint condition when I sold it. Just get QD-OLED, and play your games. It will be fine.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its not blurry per se, you've already experienced it with your old TV, they're both sample-and-hold based displays unlike CRT and Plasma. The pixels change so fast that your eyes add "blur" to explain the movement of the image, on LCD this is lessened because they change more slowly, but then you end up with black trailing into grey and such hence by monitor-fiends think any VA LCD TV is disgusting :pie_eyeroll: motion clarity is way way overrated for me because I like to stop and look at things in games and I don't look at things while moving the camera would you believe it.

I prefer as good a contrast and brightness + 24/30fps being easier on the eyes without motion interpolation so I buy LCD.

What size do you really want, like can you do 75 or 85"? Getting an 85" Hisense U8K will be much more impressive overall than any 65" OLED, evidence: Customers coming in to buy 55/65" G3/S95C and I sell them a 75" 85" or even 100" MiniLED, either Hisense, Sony or Samsung (if I can't help it). It doesn't matter than OLED has the best overall PQ when considering all factors. Size of screen is very very important to the 10s of thousands of people I've talked to.

So many time, I've sold people a 65" OLED and then they come back to buy a bigger one saying how amazing OLED is in the dark and the black level and blah blah, then they see the price of a 77" OLED, balk, so I show them an 85" or even 100" MiniLED in the dark for half/the same money and they say actually fuck OLED lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not a TV expert by any means, but my LG CX has been working like a charm since I got it a few years ago.

Top Bottom