• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell has Changed the Name of its Main Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

This wouldn't be so insulting if they haven't tried to pass off her as Motoko at first and used tbe defense "she's a cyborg! She looks Caucasian!"

Did they legit change the name due to feedback or do they have an alibi? Like "it was always western name from day 1 production, can't prove otherwise".

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Did we see the same outcry when All You Need is Kill was adapted? Nope.

JimiNutz

Banned
The damage was already done when they cast a white woman and I'd actually find it more insulting if they made her white with a Japanese name.

This doesn't make me want to see the movie any less than the original decision to cast Scar Jo and if I'm honest I don't think it looks THAT bad in the trailers.

caliph95

Because they changed the whole setting.

Honestly they would have avoided the controversy if they did the same thing. Especially since it wasn't the first time they did something like that. Though you would get complaint from fans of the source materiel about changing it so whatever i guess.

Apt101

Just waiting for the Akira live action film starring two blonde haired, blue-eyed white guys as Tetsuo and Kaneda in "Neo Paris".

One of the bigger themes in GiTS is how your identity, sense of self, and ghost isn't bound by and attached to shells and bodies. What race a factory made cybernetic body looks like has no bearing on identity and background. Fucking with Motoko's name seems so unnecessary here.

One of the bigger themes in GiTS is how your identity, sense of self, and ghost isn't bound by and attached to shells and bodies. What race a factory made cybernetic body looks like has no bearing on identity and background. Fucking with Motoko's name seems so unnecessary here.

Sure, it might not matter to the story, but it matters in regards to real life the the dearth of Asian representation in Hollywood. A white actress playing someone with a Japanese first and last name comes off as tasteless no matter what kind of sci-fi premise you put behind it.

Rymuth

Did we see the same outcry when All You Need is Kill was adapted? Nope.
What recognizable character was left intact with All You Need Is Kill?

Batou, Ishikawa, Aramaki...everyone from the source material is here save for the lead who's been airbrushed.

UrbanRats

From their perspective, they might think they are paying respectful homage to Oshii's film. Only they don't realize that well has been dry for a long time.
If you want to pay "respectful homage" do a documentary on it, or whatever.
Or a nod in an unrelated movie at best.

If you are going to do a new movie based on the same brand, bring a new perspective and new ideas.

This is just stealing the identity of another movie, and then making a less interesting product as a result.
I don't need to see the lesser version of the creation of a cyborg scene, with an edited Kenji Kawai piece.

But then, this is why they went with this in the first place, they probably didn't really have a real idea behind the project.
And no, being a fan of the source material isn't enough.

Deft Beck

I don't think this is going to affect the movie as much as, say, the odd changes made to the Airbender movie. Ultimately, that movie was bad due to its terrible directing and script.

Let's see what happens with this movie before we throw it under the bus.

kewlmyc

If it's true that they just refer to her as the Major for a majority of the movie, then I don't mind.

Maybe I'm not up in arms about this because of how common changing the name of Japanese characters to English names was back in the day.

Sölf

I don't see how they could have pulled off ScarJo having a Japanese first and last name. The whitewashing was already done, they can't just pretend she's Japanese.

They should have just referred to her as Major like she's a female Master Chief.

She is a cyborg, why can't a japanese person have a western looking cyborg body?

This change is stupid.

squall23

Such Frankstein movie... The visuals, location, music, the support cast are all asian... but the main character is Mira LOL

LGiqclX.jpg

RIP motoko

I saw the trailer when I was watching John Wick 2, and I realized the cemetery scene is shot in the cemetery that my grandma is buried in.

The thing with this is, if I wanted to see this I'd just go watch the original movie. Them recycling that scene does nothing to make me want to go out and watch the adaptation.
Thats good for you then?
This movie is made for the 90% of Americans who haven't seen the original or care to see a Japanese anime in theaters(in which case they are missing out).

V_Arnold

This thred, man. This thread generates more salt than a fighting game finals around EVO.

God damn.
I get it. I rewatch GITS every single year. Its brilliant. This one will be different. So what?
There wont ever be a live action movie with hundreds of millions of dollar budget catering to an audiance unable (and, to be honest, unwilling) to financially bear the burden of a reduced audience size.

Or you can all start a Kickstarter, convince some top-notch editors, and generate 100-200 revenue per person at least so that it is The Perfect Adaptation(tm). Otherwise, yeah, it will be tailored to mainstream audiences.

Sure, it might not matter to the story, but it matters in regards to real life the the dearth of Asian representation in Hollywood. A white actress playing someone with a Japanese first and last name comes off as tasteless no matter what kind of sci-fi premise you put behind it.

I get that. Should have just cast an Asian actress to begin with. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom