• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of Tsushima or Paper Mario: Origami King?

I'm going to get both, but went with Paper Mario first. GOT comes from one of my favorite studios, one with a pristine track record. Paper Mario is fun as fuck. You can't wrong either way.

I think both games got probably a bit underrated in reviews for "open world fatigue" and "not being TTYD" respectively.

I loved the Mario & Luigi Games on DS. I wish Sony bought alphadreams. I dont understand how Nintendo let
Boggles my mind adults seeing appeal in Mario in 2020, just can't understand.
I loved the Mario & Luigi Games on DS. I wish Sony bought alphadreams. I dont understand how Nintendo let them die. That said. I’ve own all the Nintendo systems. I dont bother with most of their games. Only game I play on the switch is Mario Vs Rabbits.

Vawn

Banned
Need help which to choose:

Paper Mario
PROS:
- portable
- great story/world/dialogue

CONS:
- shit battle
- TTYD is better

Ghosts of Tsushima
PROS:
- Heard it’s a better game
- Trophies (yea I’m a trophy hunter)

CONS:
- Expensive
- I got kinda bored Horizon: Zero Dawn

Also to put things to perspective, I’m also playing Tales of Legendia and soon Paper Mario: TTYD.

Ghost is a joy to play. And its trophy list seems to be just 100%ing the game, with no missable trophies, perfect for this style of game.

I'll get to Paper Mario eventually, but the no XP thing is really killing my excitement for it

Vawn

Banned
Paper Mario

I have still yet to see anything exciting about GoT. It looks like some generic action game that rips off Sekiro

You clearly haven't seen much then. It is not ripping anything off of Sekiro.

Unless Sekiro invented Japanese Samurai and culture. I didn't think that was the case, but I slept a lot in history class in high school.

Mario. Better than some cringe ass gaijin shit.

Most video games are braindead garbage. Some people prefer the more colorful ones.
Mario is one of the most cringe series in gaming...get out of here lol. Don't get me wrong, I love any and all Mario games, but thinking it is not cringe would do non-cringe games an injustice. OP, I would play both...flip a coin on the order. I personally think waiting on Ghost would be better simply because non-Switch games go on sale much mich earlier. In theory you can probably get Ghost at 39.99 in a couple of months. Pick up Mario, play it for a bit, then grab Ghost. Best of both worlds 😎

Bodomism

Banned
Do you like apples or oranges?

ironically it’s actually cheaper depending where you go. Walmart (in-store) sells most games $10 off compared to their usual msrp.

the only exclusion is Sony exclusives. So PM is $50 while GoT is $60

zeT0dBj.jpg

kWAsnaR.jpg
Take a look at current MSRP of BOTW, SMO, Smash Ultimate, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and SMP vs HZD, TLOUR, UC4, GOW, Spidey, and etc.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Good one. Mmmm...

Ghost of Tsushima, because I was expecting it for longer. I'll get Paper Mario somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Haven't played Paper Mario yet, but GoT is one of the best open-world games I've played in years. Personally I'm enjoying it more than Horizon Zero Dawn, it's consistently more enjoyable. They nailed it with this game. And if you like Samurai, you have no excuse.

Codes 208

Take a look at current MSRP of BOTW, SMO, Smash Ultimate, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and SMP vs HZD, TLOUR, UC4, GOW, Spidey, and etc.
I’m well aware of the current msrp, nintendo tax is real. I just find it funny that in this particular situation, a switch game is cheaper than a PS4 game.

brap

Banned
Mario is one of the most cringe series in gaming...get out of here lol. Don't get me wrong, I love any and all Mario games, but thinking it is not cringe would do non-cringe games an injustice.
At least Mario is for kids and not pretentious fart sniffers. Makes it less cringe to me.

At least Mario is for kids and not pretentious fart sniffers. Makes it less cringe to me.
I'd honestly like to know why you think GoT is cringe?...and what being pretentious has to do with the game? I'll ignore the fart sniffers comment, because it adds nothing to the conversation.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'd honestly like to know why you think GoT is cringe?...and what being pretentious has to do with the game? I'll ignore the fart sniffers comment, because it adds nothing to the conversation.
I don’t understand what makes both Mario and GoT “cringe” exactly? Or is that become another word that people just like to throw at everything regardless of if actually make sense or not?

hussar16

ghost of tsuhima doesn't have the boring problems that horizon has tbh,i wasn't interested at all in horizons world I was just moving on to the next mission, and stopped playing once I got to the desert stage, just all seemed tedious, with ghost of tsuhima I seem to be interested in getting that better perk or weapon, the main missions don't really make me play the game, the side characters and the side missions are kind of cool since they stick with the story

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
paper mario first.. nintendo first party titles don't get cheap

get ghosts when it's 20

I don’t understand what makes both Mario and GoT “cringe” exactly? Or is that become another word that people just like to throw at everything regardless of if actually make sense or not?
In this sense I'm using it loosely. GoT is definitely not...Mario games can be sometimes, depending on the game but I overblew it a but by saying Mario is one of the most cringe..thats not at all true. I'm just saying it in this conversation as a point that if either of these 2 are, it's Paper Mario. I messed up and started an argument with a Nintendo fanboy, that was my mistake. Cringe is a matter of opinion in gaming, that's why I was legitimately asking why this person believes GoT is.

Danjin44

In this sense I'm using it loosely. GoT is definitely not...Mario games can be sometimes, depending on the game but I overblew it a but by saying Mario is one of the most cringe..thats not at all true. I'm just saying it in this conversation as a point that if either of these 2 are, it's Paper Mario. I messed up and started an argument with a Nintendo fanboy, that was my mistake. Cringe is a matter of opinion in gaming, that's why I was legitimately asking why this person believes GoT is.
The logic behind what people find "cringe" is absolutely lost to me, I don't and probably never will understand.

Murdoch

If you're getting both (I am) get Mario first.

It won't reduce in price, it probably won't have too many bugs or patches. By the time you've finished it Ghosts will be half price and you'll probably be able to trade in Mario AND make some money back on the trade. You'll probably be a couple of patches in on Ghosts as well, so the game will only improve

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Haven't played Paper Mario yet, but GoT is one of the best open-world games I've played in years. Personally I'm enjoying it more than Horizon Zero Dawn, it's consistently more enjoyable. They nailed it with this game. And if you like Samurai, you have no excuse.
I also like it a lot more than Horizon Zero Dawn. I was worried that the open world would be a little boring but I haven't gotten bored not one second

I think Horizon Forbidden West will be amazing though

Danjin44

Cringe to me, as a gamer who's pretty old lol..means something like playing a game that I am embarrassed to be playing.
I don't know why anyone should be "embarrassed" playing game like Mario or GoT.....again it make zero sense to me. I don't play games to feel "grown up", I play games to enjoy myself.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone should be "embarrassed" playing game like Mario or GoT.....again it make zero sense to me. I don't play games to feel "grown up", I play games to enjoy myself.
I also play games to enjoy myself. It might not make sense to you, and that's okay. Cringe has been around for a very long time in gaming. And as I said already, my idea of something being cringey might not be someone else's idea of cringey. That's why opinions are opinions.

Aion002

If you are interested in both you should get both... Also, you don't need to buy them now... Finish the games you are playing and then buy them.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If you are interested in both you should get both... Also, you don't need to buy them now... Finish the games you are playing and then buy them.

This.

Especially since Ghosts will probably be like $30-40 for Christmas and substantially less next year since it’s a “last gen” game.

Paper Mario will go back to $60 and stay there unless it sells as well as Sticker Star which actually did see some hefty discounts.

brenobnfm

Honestly, I would say it comes down to so many games taking themselves way too seriously. Sometimes it's good to sit down with a basic platformer or something that isn't hitting you over the head with politics or attempts at "deep" story telling.

Its been this way since people preferred Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter 2 because SF2 was "too cartoony".

Online gaming communities seem to be full of desperate kids who want to show how grown up they are by playing violent games and insecure adults who want to keep up the appearance of only being into serious and "gritty" content.

At the heart of it, if people are into games then there is some appeal in something that is just trying to be fun and not a brown and grey "dark" world with violent "crunching" combat.

Go to the outpost and murder the enemies. Now do that again. Now here's a very very serious and darkly lit cutscene. Now kill some more enemies. What if people aren't in the mood for that?

Both games have their own merits. They aren't really comparable in a lot of ways. Just depends on what the OP feels like playing.

Except you're trying to compare 2 kinds of kiddy games, Far Cry and the likes are some embarrassing shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom