• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I have no basis for any of my opinions or thoughts on the matter, but it seems like they went back to CBSi, things in general are a lot more slow moving than before.

I would love to just be a fly on the wall where GB for a week, and see what they do every day. Part of what I think happens a lot with CBS is meetings...higher ups wanting to know exactly where their money is going, and why. Sounds like that might waste some of their time...because outside of that, I don't know what the hell could take up so much of their time sometimes.

Making content looks like it couldn't be easier with their current setup. Everything is in place, all they have to do is hook up a game, and press go practically. They've demonstrated that's all there is to it sometimes, like on UPF. Yet we still rarely, if ever get content like The Old Games show anymore, or not frequent enough Ranking of Fighters. I can't help but even just feel they've gotten super lazy with how they handle UPF, because a lot of the time it's just "let's bring this game up on steam now"...god dammit, pull out the Wii U and check out Game & Wario miiverse again, or bring in a turbografx-16, or SOMETHING fresh and different.

The amount of times they use emulators now instead of real hardware when looking at older games is also just disheartening.

Hey man, I'll take them playing the old games any way I can. I don't see what real hardware really adds to it if it's just a video of them playing the game and shooting the shit. Plus, emulation makes it much easier for them to capture shit and cheat for the sake of showing all of a game, like in TOGS.

The last couple of pages have been something alright, some insane speculations going on. Love it.

I went to best buy to pick something else up, and I saw mirror's edge catalyst was on sale again. With the gamer's club price, it was pretty cheap, so I grabbed it. Did I make a mistake? I know it hasn't gotten the highest praise, but I was interested in it when it was announced.

I enjoyed it overall. The movement in that game is pure joy, it's probably the best thing about it especially when you get a hang of doing all of your moves at all the right times. The main missions I thought ranged from good to great, the rest is meh(side missions and what have you). However, since I enjoyed the movement so much, I had fun playing the game.

I'm also probably one of the few that also enjoyed the combat and it's just for one reason, it's fucking funny. The things sometimes happen because of the nature of the physics just make me chuckle. I guess I am a simple man. The thing I hated about the game the most is how sometimes it forces you into combat when you're in a main mission but thankfully it doesn't happen often, only a few times. When I also say force, I mean that you can't even escape the situation.

I'm glad Jeff shut down that Danny stuff, shit was getting out of hand to the point that when he announced his new gig, people would be really sour and weird about it.

Relatively soon sounds like 2017 though!

Still think our boy Danny is doing the Glixel thing.

Jintor

gotta say this brad jason (brut@l) ql is way too quiet. they are both dudes with quiet focused voices and i am very slowly falling asleep

Strax

Yeah I don't buy this "it takes time" on the top level talk. The job I worked at has over 200 people, 6 print magazines and I got the job a week, if that, after the dude I took over quit.

Of course its not CBSi sized but still...

The Giant Beastcast - Episode 66
We're joined by the world's foremost comedy ursine
Pat Baer
to check in on Pokémon Go, Hearthstone, and EVE Online. We also try to name a dog, uncover our PAX plans, and debate what it means when Carnival Games comes to your platform.

2:27:15

I love all the sneaky background Jeff shots in this E3 video. Man, Drew's E3 videos are so good.

Reminded me of the Hidden Mickey thing.

FWkrRWv.gif

robotrock

Banned
My mind will forever be blown by turning my monitor off when watching a video Bombcast, and then realizing it's just a regular Bombcast.

Jintor

any of you guys running multiple twitter accounts? what's a good desktop client for that shiz? I'm about to cauterise my twitter in half.

Zaph

any of you guys running multiple twitter accounts? what's a good desktop client for that shiz? I'm about to cauterise my twitter in half.

Windows desktop? Would love to know myself, but I don't think there are any...

Wanted to give a UWP app a chance, so downloaded the highest rated Twitter client on the W10 app store (Tweetium) and it's absolute garbage. Full of awful UX design and really weird quirks like refreshing when you switch desktops.

Xater

Guys should I buy Slime Rancher? I tried the hour preview on the Xbox One and it's so cute and soothing. I kind of want to get it. I'm just conflicted because I really try my best to normally avoid Early Access stuff.

Guys should I buy Slime Rancher? I tried the hour preview on the Xbox One and it's so cute and soothing. I kind of want to get it. I'm just conflicted because I really try my best to normally avoid Early Access stuff.

I would have bought it and We Happy Few if it wasn't for Early Access. : /

I would have bought it and We Happy Few if it wasn't for Early Access. : /

Yeah, I'm not super interested in games that are Early Access anymore, because that shit can last for a long time. By the time they get to a "finished" game, I could easily be too bored of what they started making to play it when it's done. Slime Rancher looked interesting from what I saw on GB, but I'd rather wait for it to be done.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I hate this Early Access garbage. Games just never end it. They'll leave it for years in this state until there's no enthusiasm left.

I hate this Early Access garbage. Games just never end it. they'll leave it for years in this state until there's no enthusiasm left.

I'm sure it makes the devs good money because everyone seems to buy them but it does ruin the marketing of a game.

"Oh that game which was barely playable 4 years ago is finally mostly finished? Who gives a shit?"

If anything games should do a shorter reveal > release campaign, not much longer.

Megasoum

Banned
I used to and TweetDeck works pretty well

https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

Tweeten is the spiritual successor of the old TweetaDeck desktop client.

http://tweeten.xyz/

Tweetdeck is great and a lot of people don't know that even if they discontinued the windows client, you can still kinda get it.

If you use Chrome you can install the Chrome App version of Tweetdeck. Then, on the chrome app launcher page, you can right click on Tweetdeck and click on "Run in a separate window". At that point, as long as you keep an instance of Chrome running you'll have Tweetdeck.

I even use a chrome add-on to auto-launch a chrome app when I start it.

Works great.

Jintor

tweetdeck seems to be what I want (+ a dual monitor setup so transferring a few things wasn't too tricky)

i gave up on early access yonks ago, just not what I'm after. iterative game design is for beta testers or massive patches/expansion packs. if i'm giving you money i either want to ensure your thing actually exists or I want to play a full-ass video game

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's just that you miss out on some good games. Like I'm playing Factorio for a while now and it's a good game that'll probably not leave Early Access for a year or so when barely anyone remembers what it was.

It's just that you miss out on some good games. Like I'm playing Factorio for a while now and it's a good game that'll probably not leave Early Access for a year or so when barely anyone remembers what it was.

Maybe, maybe not. The game could end being better than ever when it's finally done, and word of mouth would certainly help get it back into people's minds if that's the case. If so, people who wait to play it might end having an even better experience.

Jintor

the only game so far i regret a bit not playing in early access is prison architect and that's because it 'launched' and sank without a trace.

i'm considering looking at rimworld because it kinda reminds me of dwarf fortress and lol DF will never hit 1.00 or whatever

Tubobutts

The easy way to not get suckered into Early Acess is to assume you'll be dead by the time the game comes out so why waste time with a game you'll never see finished. Or you can use that to justify getting it early since you could be dead by the time the game is actually released.

Jintor

dunno about don't starve. i think i only played it once it hit 1 or something...? It seemed relatively feature complete when I first played it, then I went back like a year later and it was just as good but with caves.

still didn't have what i craved which was working up to actual base building and a pause thing that didn't have the clock ticking away

dunno about don't starve. i think i only played it once it hit 1 or something...? It seemed relatively feature complete when I first played it, then I went back like a year later and it was just as good but with caves.

still didn't have what i craved which was working up to actual base building and a pause thing that didn't have the clock ticking away

I think sooner or later they did add more base building features

What I like about Don't Starve was the clear communication the devs gave and that the updates were meaningful. It started out in a good state(The earliest builds there were multiple characters to choose from, as well as a goal of finding pieces to a thing), and they just kept building upon it.

I haven't played it in years, but I've kept up with the updates here and there~

Top Bottom