• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jintor

man maybe the problem is GB tempers their expectations realistically so they can't be too disappointed in things when they inevitably end up being smoke and mirrors

derFeef

Watch them forget about Hitman... I would not be hat surprised actually, even if they love playing it, it's not a game that sticks with you.

The Vive is clearly the strongest of the three and has a lot going for it. The PSVR is actually something approaching market friendly. And Oculus is less technically impressive than the Vive and not nearly as market ready as the PSVR.
Side Note Oculus has been basically radio silent on the Luckey situation and that is messed up

I agree with Jeff in that Vive's ecosystem (though most of that also works with Oculus) is what makes it by far the most interesting one at the moment. For the same reason I couldn't imagine playing games but not having a PC, I couldn't imagine buying into a closed VR ecosystem if I only had one VR platform. It's just not my thing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Battlefield 1, Dragon Quest: Builders, World of Final Fantasy
and Farm Simulator 17
are all very tempting right now.
Have you seen the Farming Simulator CE?

FARMING-SIMULATOR-2017-COLLECTOR%E2%80%99S-EDITION.jpg

- poster
- stickers
- some DLC
- farmer waifu
- a model tractor
- a book, ebook and a disc about modding
- $49.99

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I know w'all have our differences but I think we can all agree that Song of the Year goes to Civ6's Sogno di Volare.

There can be disagreement.
Let me paint you a picture:

Alex pulls out his phone to play it
Everyone waits for some beat to kick in
It never happens
Everyone makes fun of Alex

The award goes to the electronic theme of an indie game.

daveo42

Banned
DOOM deserves it, but it will at least get top 3. Jeff will push as absolutely hard as possible for Rez Infinite at #1 which I would be fine with as well, but it'll fall in the bottom half of the top 10.

Have you seen the Farming Simulator CE?

- poster
- stickers
- some DLC
- farmer waifu
- a model tractor
- a book, ebook and a disc about modding
- $49.99

https://www.farmersonly.com/

oti

Banned
They won't forget Hitman. Best content on the site this year.

Baba Yetu is better than the Civ VI theme and lol as if GB cares about that stuff. DOOM will win it because I don't know.

Watched Brandon's (EZA) Dragon Quest Builders stream and now I want this game.

derFeef

One can hope.
And I am fine with DOOM winning because it's a good game, and actually did one thing I do like when games do. Shatter expectations, especially if everyone has already written the game off before it even releases.

Daheza

Why don't they just make the game of the year list by looking at all the release videos for new games and ordering the list by views.

Done.

Strax

man maybe the problem is GB tempers their expectations realistically so they can't be too disappointed in things when they inevitably end up being smoke and mirrors

The strangest GB expectations (and release) I remember was Mario Maker with Jeff saying if it can't do X, Y and Z (on podcasts and live shows) "they've fucked up" and some of those things weren't in the game but Jeff defended it to death.

I'm not saying it's not fun game because of those things or that Jeff can't change his mind but it was such sharp turn from "they've fucked up" to Jeff calling it the best games in years.

strafer

So I booted up my PS2 copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and cheated my way to all characters and fucking Wolverine, Darth Maul and a half naked demon on fire.

Man, when skateboard games were cool.

Also, the game still fucking plays amazing.

Wunder

The strangest GB expectations (and release) I remember was Mario Maker with Jeff saying if it can't do X, Y and Z (on podcasts and live shows) "they've fucked up" and some of those things weren't in the game but Jeff defended it to death.

I'm not saying it's not fun game because of those things or that Jeff can't change his mind but it was such sharp turn from "they've fucked up" to Jeff calling it the best games in years.

https://youtu.be/LOvb4BkiMIE?t=4776

MARIO MAKER 2015
FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE

kiguel182

I'm one level away from finishing Doom and it deserves GOTY. The game that stuck with me the most was Firewatch but Doom is just purely fun. It was an excellent designed game top to bottom that took the best parts of the original and added a bunch of clever mechanics with excelent pacing to boot.

Zaph

I'm one level away from finishing Doom and it deserves GOTY. The game that stuck with me the most was Firewatch but Doom is just purely fun. It was an excellent designed game top to bottom that took the best parts of the original and added a bunch of clever mechanics with excelent pacing to boot.

Doom proved that, while games have come a long way, just straight murdering hellspawn to a banging soundtrack has yet to be topped.

kiguel182

Doom proved that, while games have come a long way, just straight murdering hellspawn to a banging soundtrack has yet to be topped.

Pretty much. How self aware Doom was of its dumbness and used it to provide a fun experience was genius.

also, I'm not an heavy metal fun but Doom is totally my OST of the year.

Honestly I'm thinking Jeff is probably my favorite? He's the most hilarious and the glue. Ryan is hilarious in old GB videos and I feel honored to see why people loved him so much posthumously. It's sad but it makes me happy at the same time that due to all of the archives and stuff I can watch the same stuff that made everyone else love him.

All I have to do now is convince Jeff that Shenmue II is the best game of all time.

At one point I belabored the idea of watching old content. "What's the point? It's an old game." But not I've been going through the site the past few weeks. just watching old stuff because I now value their perspective on games and they're also hilarious. I dunno. I'm not used to going to any game site period besides neogaf. I stopped taking game reviews and the game media seriously about 10 years ago, besides anything 1up. Once that site died, I honestly didn't bother looking at reviews for the most part. Why check out what the gaming media thinks when all you can do is go to youtube and watch a let's play (HOPEFULLY WITH NO COMMENTARY) for a few hours and decide whether or not it's worth purchasing?

So this is all new to me. It feels weird to me going to four game websites (Waypoint, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, US Gamer). It's not something I would have done years ago.

Honestly I'm thinking Jeff is probably my favorite? He's the most hilarious and the glue. Ryan is hilarious in old GB videos and I feel honored to see why people loved him so much posthumously. It's sad but it makes me happy at the same time that due to all of the archives and stuff I can watch the same stuff that made everyone else love him.

All I have to do now is convince Jeff that Shenmue II is the best game of all time.

At one point I belabored the idea of watching old content. "What's the point? It's an old game." But not I've been going through the site the past few weeks. just watching old stuff because I now value their perspective on games and they're also hilarious. I dunno. I'm not used to going to any game site period besides neogaf. I stopped taking game reviews and the game media seriously about 10 years ago, besides anything 1up. Once that site died, I honestly didn't bother looking at reviews for the most part. Why check out what the gaming media thinks when all you can do is go to youtube and watch a let's play (HOPEFULLY WITH NO COMMENTARY) for a few hours and decide whether or not it's worth purchasing?

So this is all new to me. It feels weird to me going to four game websites (Waypoint, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, US Gamer). It's not something I would have done years ago.
Cool to hear you enjoy them so much. You probably have a bunch of recommendations lined up, but if you want to laugh your ass off watch the QLs for Motorbike and Enforcer: Police. Crime. Action.

kiguel182

I love seeing you go from not being a fan to now liking their stuff.

I'm pretty recent myself but I like watching the old stuff, mostly because they are entertaining and it's a good way to keep me company when I'm working on stuff.

Top Bottom