• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLADD challenges the industry to make 20% of characters on TV LGBTQ by 2025

brap

Banned
and that half should be people of color. This article is so fucking long lmao

GLAAD is calling on the industry to make sure that 20 percent of series regular characters on primetime scripted broadcast series are LGBTQ by 2025. Further, we would challenge all platforms – broadcast, cable, and streaming – that within the next two years, at least half of LGBTQ characters on each platform are also people of color. This is an important next step towards ensuring that our entertainment reflects the world in which it is created and the audience consuming it.

GLAAD and Harris Poll’s Accelerating Acceptance study shows that 20 percent of Americans aged 18-34 are LGBTQ. And this applies across demographics – the General Social Survey from NORC at the University of Chicago this summer found that 23 percent of Black women in America 18-34 identify as bisexual, and the University’s GenForward survey reports that 1 in 5 Latinx Millennials are LGBTQ.
“Last year, GLAAD called on the television industry to increase the number of LGBTQ characters and more accurately reflect the world we live in, and they responded by exceeding this challenge,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, President & CEO of GLAAD. “At a time when the cultural climate is growing increasingly divisive, increased representation of LGBTQ stories and characters on television is especially critical to advance LGBTQ acceptance. Shows like Pose, Schitt’s Creek, Batwoman, and Billions demonstrate that not only are LGBTQ stories and characters on TV becoming more diverse, but that viewers everywhere continue to respond with extreme positivity.”
The number of LGBTQ regular characters counted on cable increased from 120 last year to 121 this year, while recurring LGBTQ characters is up from 88 to 94. This is 215 regular and recurring LGBTQ characters, though it should be noted that 48 of these characters are not expected to return for the 2020-21 season due to series cancellations, announced finales, or characters being written off but who appeared as a regular or recurring character during the research period.

Mista

Banned
Nothing for us? No gay Muslims or anything like that? I find what’s happening recently within the community is their sudden love for Muslims and how we shouldn’t be oppressed or whatever

s34ab

Banned
GLAAD is calling on the industry to make sure that 20 percent of series regular characters on primetime scripted broadcast series are LGBTQ by 2025. Further, we would challenge all platforms – broadcast, cable, and streaming – that within the next two years, at least half of LGBTQ characters on each platform are also people of color. This is an important next step towards ensuring that our entertainment reflects the world in which it is created and the audience consuming it.

Imagine if the industry wasn't run by far left trash that is a plague on this nation, and they replied with, "no. fuck off."

Kadayi

Banned
20% Really? 1 in 5 That seems incredibly high. I question the demographics they'te pooling to come up with these numbers tbh.

quickwhips

When do the ai robots taking jobs going to start get representation? I’m offended. Also i see birds outside everyday but i hardly ever see them on tv. I’m worried my children might not know of the different kind of birds if they aren’t on tv.

iorek21

Whats the proportion in % for LGBT people in real life? 8% of the population? Why should media have 20% then?

Also, where’s the 5% representation for wheelchair pansexual trans gender asiatic women?????????

Petrae

Forced diversity rears its ugly head once again. Funny how people can’t just enjoy things anymore without quotas of LGBTQ or women or different races or different religions or whatever else activist groups demand.

Here’s a thought for GLAAD: Follow in the footsteps of Lifetime and BET; make your own network and fill it with the programming you want. Stop foisting your demands— errr... “challenges” onto everyone.

Breakage

Deep down the people behind these demands would love it if it were closer to 100%. Nothing that depicts the old morality and societal norms in a positive light can be left alone.

Last edited:

plushyp

dad.png

Petrae

I challenge GLAAD to fuck off and make their own media, instead of pressuring existing creators into changing their vision.

Exactly this. Make the GLADD Network or streaming service. Contract with entertainment studios to cast LGTBQ talent and write LGTBQ shows. Have your own little piece of the world instead of forcefully shoving your bullshit down the throats of everyone.

Rran

I challenge television and film industry to feature more albinos. Albinos are a sorely underrepresented demographic. Can you even name a single albino superhero or romantic comedy lead?

This is an important next step towards ensuring that our entertainment reflects the world in which it is created and the audience consuming it.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Harris Poll’s Accelerating Acceptance study shows that 20 percent of Americans aged 18-34 are LGBTQ.

:unsure:

The number is probably inflated by one specific group in that age demographic, but they aren't going to be the representation GLAAD actually wants in that 20% number.

A larger amount of 18-34 women (especially in college) will report as being bisexual. But usually bisexual are pushed to the back of the bus when it comes to representation.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Millennials don’t watch tv tho, that’s for ok boomers. Doesn’t make any sense.

If GLAAD wants to impose its rules on popular streaming services like D+ they are welcome to.

Gargus

Banned
I miss when people just wrote stories and created characters appropriate for that story instead of having to force in characters to appeal to certain agendas. I'd rather have "I think we need a gay trans character because it will allow us to do this or that with the story line" rather than "ok we need a story about a gay trans person because it's what popular and we need to show how progressive we are". One will be a good story most likely because the writers ideas came first, the second will suck because the public's opinion is what came first.

Can’t we all just get along and add an S in their for straights?

SLGBT

I have a much simpler idea. Instead we just use P to represent people as a whole instead of constantly trying to worry about who belongs in what category and obsessing over being a particular thing.

Really now, who gives a shit what color, gender or orientation you are? I don't know or care about 99.999% of the over 7 billion people on this planet. Only ones I care about are the ones I actually meet, and even then all I care about is if your nice to or not to me. Are you a mixed black and Mexican non binary woman that's a trans man with semi notions of being a sexual? Ok, i dont give a fuck. All I care about is 1 do I actually know you? And 2 if I do know you were you nice to me?

Or hell maybe we should refer to everyone as abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890 that way we can cover all the bases in one shot.

Christopher

Who gives a fuck what gladd thinks??

Once gay marriage got legalized they have nothing left to fight for outside of being more and more extreme.

Enjay

Banned
The CW is definitely doing their part for this. The Flash created a middle eastern openly gay police chief character a few years back.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Would I watch a great TV show in which the creator artistically wanted to have gay characters? Yes.

Do I want an agenda shoved down my throat at every turn? No.

Given that these are basically marching orders to the psychos in Hollywood, it just makes me want to not participate in new movies and TV that much more, something that I’m already pretty okay with.

If any medium needs a ‘crash’, it’s this one.

It's Jeff

Banned
The LGBT demographic is like, 3-5 percent of the population based on different studies. That's all four of those groups put together, mind you. If you're speaking of universal, relatable experiences in life, this doesn't ring true. Is this a condemnation? Absolutely not. But there's a reason most lead characters in media aren't complaining about not being able to find the good caviar and yacht propellers. It's a small percentage of people that can identify with that struggle.

I'm half Korean. To this day, media representation of Asian males is still largely martial arts based when not whitewashed entirely. I'm looking at you, MIT Blackjack Team. You ask for representation, you get Mr. Chow in The Hangover. Not exactly an awesome day for us. Representation doesn't equal good storytelling - case in point, Crazy Rich Asians is one of the most cookie cutter and derivative stories I've endured. I spent the last half hour look at big, pointy things I'd rather shove down my pee hole than watch that movie again. A pine cone, that's as far as I'd go.

People from those communities will write good stories because they understand them. Don't demand Hollywood writers to just shove characters in because it's much, much worse for those communities. I wouldn't know the first thing about writing an effective LGBT character. I've known a few people, but I'm sure as shit not an expert. I'd be compiling a stack of stereotypes because that's all I know... and it would be pretty insulting. Not on purpose, but I'd be like, "Lesbians like Tori Amos, right? How about she meets her partner at the Lilith Fair?" Lesbians would call me an asshole, and they'd be right.

brap

Banned
I'm half Korean. To this day, media representation of Asian males is still largely martial arts based when not whitewashed entirely.
I keep seeing this stupid State Farm ad on youtube where 2 asian dudes are fighting in some asian looking cosplay outfits. Can't imagine who thought that was a good idea. Guess you guys don't complain enough.

It's Jeff

Banned
I keep seeing this stupid State Farm ad on youtube where 2 asian dudes are fighting in some asian looking cosplay outfits. Can't imagine who thought that was a good idea. Guess you guys don't complain enough.

Well...
gEzOyPb.png

From USA Today:

"College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973. Since the Great Recession ended in 2009, college-educated workers have captured most of the new jobs and enjoyed pay gains. Non-college grads, by contrast, have faced dwindling job opportunities and an overall 3% decline in income, EPI's data shows."

So here's the thing. Representation means nothing in terms of financial success. It doesn't hurt - but if GLAAD wants to make positive changes, just show people the math. Forget representation because college is money, and until the world changes, money is how you get a place at the table. I'm not trying to downplay anybody's struggle, but when your house is the temperature you want it to be and you never worry about whether or not you're going to eat, you stop worrying about representation.

GLAAD, you want to make a difference? Scholarships. Foundations for further education. With every cent you have. Doing this shit just makes you look dumb.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I am straight so I need entertainment with 0% LGBT characters so I feel properly represented by every fantasy narrative I witness. It is the only way to hold together my fragile self-assurance in the identity I manufactured based on my preferences for the purpose of becoming the foundation of my life and necessary requirement for others to unreservedly celebrate in order for me to justify any respect or relationship with them.

brap

Banned
Well I am LGBT so I need at least 20% of characters in media to be LGBT because I am insecure and pathetic. My entire being is based around me sucking cock. I love sucking cock and taking cock up my ass and need everybody to know that. My sexuality is all that I am. There is nothing else about me that's interesting or that matters. I need characters in movies that also like cock. I need to see them suck on on the big screen. I am sick and tired of being persecuted for sucking cock.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It seems that you want media created that is different from the media that I want created. I can't believe that you hate me as a person like this. I will lobby the government to make it illegal for you to not make what I want, because freedom and equality means that your free expression serves all of my desires equally at once.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well I am LGBT so I need at least 20% of characters in media to be LGBT because I am insecure and pathetic. My entire being is based around me sucking cock. I love sucking cock and taking cock up my ass and need everybody to know that. My sexuality is all that I am. There is nothing else about me that's interesting or that matters. I need characters in movies that also like cock. I need to see them suck on on the big screen. I am sick and tired of being persecuted for sucking cock.
Interesting

-Arcadia-

Banned

z71cQQV.jpg

Top Bottom