• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn EGM's NCAA 2005 review is a joke!

i just got the new egm, and they reviewed "NCAA football 2005" well guess what fuck faces, not all versions were the same @ e3! as if that wasn't a big enough deal, the reviews themselves SUCK BALLS!

this reads like a fucking press statement. here are some quotes from the "review"

"NCAA's winning formula hasn't changed" geeee

"With a simple button press you can now pump up fans..." holy shit stop the presses

""The new match-up stick provides instant pre-snap access to both team's strength and weaknesses" Wow, can't believe they dropped that bomb

""I do have one complaint, the graphics are starting to look dated" Hmm, one complaint? well boys, stop your searching because we have officially found the perfect football game. no AI problems, online is flawless, no money plays. rejoice

"EA sports made a great game better with the addition of home field advantage" -_-

at the end of the day i dont really know what i was expecting from EGM or any of these other garbage magazines (PSM, gamepro, etc). it's like they are so eager to be the FIRST with a review that they don't even spend time talking about it. why does NCAA only get a half a page little bar for the review? if you are going to be in the business of reviewing games, at least do a halfway decent job. as it stands, EGM sucks cock at reviewing sports games. everything, every last word of their review i could have written myself after playing it for 5 fucking minutes @ e3!

so if anyone from EGM is on these boards tell your coworkers who reviewed NCAA that they are dog shit, and their review is a joke.

bring on the sports gaming site reviews!

Let's ride on these bitches, FMT!

The one bad thing about OS getting a beta is that they fuck it up every year. They ask for a bunch of questions, then whine like bitches that there are too many, and usually say something like "I do this for free! Stop with so many questions!" By this time every year, they should know the NCAA fans are going to be rabid.

Fifty

:( When will the OS impressions be up? Not that I really trust them either, but they're the best we've got.

so if anyone from EGM is on these boards tell your coworkers who reviewed NCAA that they are dog shit, and their review is a joke.
Damn straight! :p I want to see some people lose their jobs!

What do you want, a five page exposé? It's virtually the same mechanics, as they mentioned , so why should they have to waste space on telling you thing you already know? They told you what was new in the game, and why it continued to enhance the EA NCAA experience. And they gave it game of the month. What do you want?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, let's put the facts on the table:

- Lead time for EGM could be approximately 1 - 1.5 months
- Hence, the "review" was done between 8.5. and 22.5.2004
- E3 2004 dates 12. - 14.5.2004

CONCLUSION: EGM reviewed E3 2004 build of game
QUESTION: At what stage was NCAA 2005 in E3 2004?

Next facts:

- Release date July 12th 2004
- Should go gold around around June 21th to be on safe side
- Lets assume from Beta to Gold Master around a 1 to - 1.5 months
- This means Beta was 7.5. - 21.5.2004
- Which was the period estimated for the review

CONCLUSION: EGM reviewed Beta version
QUESTION: Apart from Press Release filled review, what else is new? Well, maybe not even that.

Mrbob

Why have a review in place then?

Might as well take that half page and use EAs press release instead.

What do you want, a five page exposé? It's virtually the same mechanics, as they mentioned , so why should they have to waste space on telling you thing you already know? They told you what was new in the game, and why it continued to enhance the EA NCAA experience. And they gave it game of the month. What do you want?

you fall into 1 or more of the following categories:

1. you aren't a big sports fan
2. you didn't go to e3 and play NCAA on different systems. if you had, you would have known there was enough of a difference in the ps2/xbox versions to warrant 2 seperate reviews, with the ps2 version being highly superior. they made no mention of this difference.
3. you play madden/ncaa 2004 and say "wtf? whats the difference between this and 2002! ITS THE SAME GAME!" you just dont get it
4. you are one of the reviewers

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'd imagine the half-page review isn't meant for the same audience as the Operation Sports multi-thousand-word impressions.

As for separate console reviews of the same game, no multiplatform mag in the US does that anymore with any game if all versions come out at once, space being at a premium in print magazines.

i dont even care for seperate reviews necessarily, but they made no mention of the difference between the game. and i know for a FACT there was a difference at the time they reviewed the games because i've seen videos from IGN that are very recent and still show it

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you fall into 1 or more of the following categories:

1. you aren't a big sports fan
2. you didn't go to e3 and play NCAA on different systems. if you had, you would have known there was enough of a difference in the ps2/xbox versions to warrant 2 seperate reviews, with the ps2 version being highly superior. they made no mention of this difference.
3. you play madden/ncaa 2004 and say "wtf? whats the difference between this and 2002! ITS THE SAME GAME!" you just dont get it
4. you are one of the reviewers

1. I'm a gigantic sports fan, but just a moderate sports-gaming fan.
2. I did go to E3 and play both versions of the game. Yeah the Xbox had a touch of slowdown, but E3 didn't have the final versions, did it?
3. This may be the one I fall under, because I understand the little nuances in change (like the right analog stick movement in Madden 04) but fail to see how improved things like offense and defense are, because to me they stay pretty damn consistent year in and out. A few animations or AI tweaks, but ultimately the play mechanics are the same.
4. No, I'm not, though that'd be pretty damn cool.

As for the game being the beta, I find it hard to believe EA can't have a finished copy by March. After adding the new bells and whistles to this year's model, what would possibly take them 12 development months to complete (you know they're already thinking of things for 06)?

I just think you're giving em a bad rap. As it ends up we'll all be rating this game a 9-9.5 anyway, I'm sure.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You've got me all riled up. This is like all the MVP reviews that didn't notice the problem of left-handed hitters or the fact that the dynasty doesn't work. SUCK IT!

Soul4ger

I find something seriously wrong with the fact that a lot of places are scoring the NES Classics games 6/10, and at the same time are rewarding Mega Man Anniversary Collection a 7/10 or an 8/10. An 8, possibly, but a 7 is ridiculous. OMG, TWO GAMES OUT OF THE TEN ARE A LITTLE CREATIVELY BANKRUPT AND THE BONUS, NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED ARCADE GAMES AREN'T GOOD!!1 ONE POINT BETTER THAN DONKEY KONG NES CLASSIC. Mind you, I'm not saying that EGM did this, because EGM never really reviewed the NES Classics games, but... I've seen it happening in a few places. Just stupid complaints. Six of the best action games ever for $30. Well, they're not gonna win over people hooked on today's graphics! RATS! 7/10!

belgurdo

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I find something seriously wrong with the fact that a lot of places are scoring the NES Classics games 6/10, and at the same time are rewarding Mega Man Anniversary Collection a 7/10 or an 8/10. An 8, possibly, but a 7 is ridiculous. OMG, TWO GAMES OUT OF THE TEN ARE A LITTLE CREATIVELY BANKRUPT AND THE BONUS, NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED ARCADE GAMES AREN'T GOOD!!1 ONE POINT BETTER THAN DONKEY KONG NES CLASSIC. Mind you, I'm not saying that EGM did this, because EGM never really reviewed the NES Classics games, but... I've seen it happening in a few places. Just stupid complaints. Six of the best action games ever for $30. Well, they're not gonna win over people hooked on today's graphics! RATS! 7/10!

Anthology of 10 games+extras on one disc>>> overpriced single direct ports of 20+ year old games

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Holy crap FMT, you're going to kill me one of these days. That rant was hilarious.
rock.gif

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The mags are useless for sports game reviews. They're all still giving ESPN Basketball 9s and 10s, which it hasnt' deserved in 3 years. They just switch around the adjectives depending on what the franchise's reputation is, and occasionally say something like "it's too easy to dunk" or "the goalies are a little TOO good."

Top Bottom