• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War director Cory Barlog responds to rumor of Cyberpunk being delayed because of poor current gen performance, explains in detail how "EVERY ga

CDPR saying the xbox one s is holding back performance sounds like the biggest cop out imaginable the xbox one s is specd out better then the base ps4. The xbox s runs witcher 3 better then the base ps4 so unless there talking about the discontinued original xbox one this rumor doesnt add up that the xbox one s is the system holding back the game. Plus your saying that CDPR was targeting consoles that werent going to come out for another 8 years yea sure.
Long time no see, Penello!

ethomaz

Banned
These consoles are 6 years old and they released 1 major and 2 small titles for them, so they should know their target hardware very well by now. No way they could overestimate their abilities this much.
They pushed way over The Whitcher 3.
I’m glad for that.
But that generate issues in base consoles and now they need a good time to fix.

That is how it works.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Doesn't this imply that EVERY "gameplay" video we see months before the release date is actually fake?

I mean, we all know they are, but at least they're saying it now.
No, because at least for some games, optimisation does not mean to reach the target framerate, but to improve the visual fidelity while maintaining target framerate. Take a look at e.g. Super Mario 3D World's visuals from E3 and later. Also, some intermediate versions are already being optimised, for demos to present at trade fairs. Nintenod games usually run at a very stable 30 / 60 (depending on the game) at the show floor. Some developers do cheat with their videos though.

ethomaz

Banned
CDPR saying the xbox one s is holding back performance sounds like the biggest cop out imaginable the xbox one s is specd out better then the base ps4. The xbox s runs witcher 3 better then the base ps4 so unless there talking about the discontinued original xbox one this rumor doesnt add up that the xbox one s is the system holding back the game. Plus your saying that CDPR was targeting consoles that werent going to come out for another 8 years yea sure.
Joke post? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kenpachii

Nothing i saw here screams next gen to me. Its made for current consoles. Game simple isn't done yet. If they where waiting for next gen to arrive because game wouldn't run on current boxes they would never announced it for PS4/xbox one and u would see a PC release.

Honestly it looks pretty dated already,

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned

Nothing i saw here screams next gen to me. Its made for current consoles. Game simple isn't done yet. If they where waiting for next gen to arrive because game wouldn't run on current boxes they would never announced it for PS4/xbox one and u would see a PC release.

Honestly it looks pretty dated already,

The city looks very dense though. CDPR mentioned they aren’t focusing on size (“that’s what she said”) but on density (explorable buildings, etc.).

DaMonsta

Pretty much every AAA I can think of goes through a delay for “polish”

What the he’ll y’all think they be doing during this time?

New consoles coming out got people acting crazy. SMH

Siri

Banned
This isn’t about software development or technology.

This is about CDPR, yet again, lying to its fan base. They do this, over and over.

Please... for the love of god... just tell it like it is. You hyped your game by showing unrealistic footage - something you’ve done before. The only way you’re going to run the game on the hardware you developed for is through a downgrade - something you’ve done before.

The only truly way to make your game work, the way you showed it, is by delaying it for the new consoles - but you won’t say this. Instead you just continue with the lies.

The Alien

Banned
I hope so, I'm waiting till the PS5/ps4 update on ps5 edition before I buy.
I think it'll be a launch title for both next gen consoles. I want my hands on the game but releasing it months before a gen refresh wasnt a good idea.

Wild Speculation: Delay was announced 2 weeks after Microsoft visited studios in Poland. No Microsft isnt buying CDPR.....but I think they secured Cyberpunk as Day One GamePass exclusive at launch. That'd be a big bomb to drop. CDPR has a great relationship with Microsoft. Again, speculation, but pieces could fit. 🤔

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it'll be a launch title for both next gen consoles. I want my hands on the game but releasing it months before a gen refresh wasnt a good idea.

Wild Speculation: Delay was announced 2 weeks after Microsoft visited studios in Poland. No Microsft isnt buying CDPR.....but I think they secured Cyberpunk as Day One GamePass exclusive at launch. That'd be a big bomb to drop. CDPR has a great relationship with Microsoft. Again, speculation, but pieces could fit. 🤔

CDPR would lose so much goodwill from gamers not only on the PC, but consoles as well.

The once beloved dev house would be burned at the stake.

Quezacolt

They already mentioned they dont want to make any exclusivity deals, they were asked about that before.

FireFly

This isn’t about software development or technology.

This is about CDPR, yet again, lying to its fan base. They do this, over and over.

Please... for the love of god... just tell it like it is. You hyped your game by showing unrealistic footage - something you’ve done before. The only way you’re going to run the game on the hardware you developed for is through a downgrade - something you’ve done before.

The only truly way to make your game work, the way you showed it, is by delaying it for the new consoles - but you won’t say this. Instead you just continue with the lies.
CDPR said right from the start that the footage they showed would not necessarily be representative of the final product.

Siri

Banned
CDPR said right from the start that the footage they showed would not necessarily be representative of the final product.

And yet even Ubisoft learned its lesson and doesn’t pull this shit anymore. I mean, wtf? Clearly this CDPR fucking with us again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The honest truth, and this comes from experience, is that determining how long its going to take to go from feature complete alpha to release candidate is very hard to predict.

Essentially a period of time is scheduled and you try to do what you can as a developer to live up to your publisher's obligations. But sometimes those bug databases take longer to work through than others because unlike movies, where you can just reshoot or patch-in the material that you need to, in a computer program everything is connected. So 1 fix can spawn 10 other bugs to squash, and 1 piece of bad code can create a host of seemingly unconnected phenomena.

The key thing is the above is just the mechanical component of the finalization process with a game. It disregards creative changes, tunings based on focus testing etc. Things that feed back into the code creating yet more bugs to fix.

Truthfully, most of the crunch endured in the industry is due to this part of development being simultaneously so chaotic yet absolutely crucial to the quality and reception of the end-product.

The best way I can describe it is to say that getting a game from design to feature-complete is like the training leading up to a fight. But the fight itself is that period between there to gold master. Everything is up for grabs, and no matter how well planned and organized the preparation, shit can happen.

xviper

Most gamers don't remember how glitchy The Witcher 3 was at launch, there were some game breaking glitches and the game obviously needed more time in the oven, maybe they are trying to avoid that mistake again by delaying CP2077 and release it when it's actually ready.

mortal

Gold Member
Most gamers don't remember how glitchy The Witcher 3 was at launch, there were some game breaking glitches and the game obviously needed more time in the oven, maybe they are trying to avoid that mistake again by delaying CP2077 and release it when it's actually ready.
Let's be honest here, we'd all much rather not get a buggy and broken mess if given the choice. It's a bit disappointing having to wait a little longer than what was expected initially, but this is virtually painless compared to what developers themselves have to endure in production. I just hope the people working on CP 2077 won't loose their sanity and come out the other side with the most optimized and solid game by launch.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I can believe it runs like crap. It's a pretty ambitious title and witcher 2 was a miracle to come out on the xbox 360.

Even witcher 3 runs like arse to this day on ps4 and xbox 1 and with the stuff they've added to the engine and graphics system I can see it struggling on this gen unless they do major cut backs.

Eitherway, ill wait for the inevitable next gen port now.

RPSleon

They have specifically said the launch xbox one is causing them the headaches here.

Belmonte

Fortunately I start playing Blood and Wine two weeks ago, so I'm cool with the delay.

Count Beledal is cyberpunk enough for me until September.

geralt_and_count_beledal_by_vollhov_da9mj0f-pre.jpg

FireFly

And yet even Ubisoft learned its lesson and doesn’t pull this shit anymore. I mean, wtf? Clearly this CDPR fucking with us again.
Any time you show a vertical slice of gameplay from a title that is 2 years out, it is going to be partly smoke and mirrors. Eg. The A.I in the Doom Eternal reveal wasn't balanced yet, so they had to play the game in a way that made it look like the enemies were posing a challenge.

The question is whether it is better show subject-to-change footage, or to show nothing at all.

Kumomeme

obviously...but it more hassle with weaker hardware..downscale harder than upscale and weak hardware making devs task much harder

Top Bottom