• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War PC is already topping charts on Steam

Brofist

Cant wait to see the mods
vggorbzo3ee51.jpg

MonarchJT

Banned
That doesn't have anything to do with baiting the PC gamers into the sequel.
gamers that already choose their platform (in fact the PC) will not go to to spend 499 + 81 euro every single time for a game to buy the sequel of a game that will come VERY likely on PC and very likely will run also better. If Sony is hoping this will happen it will not...never, but we all know that instead they are simply starting to release their exclusives on PC.Just as Microsoft will start slowly then they will snowball

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
The price is kinda a joke but well... it's a new release
Say what you want but your paying for quality. Now that its fixed Horizon, days gone, and now God of war feature tons of work that has been done to the game for PC. Packed with content, controller support and will probably be super well optimized since God of war is using DLSS. Also Days gone is super optimized and a super great looking open world game.

When you compare the quality of their games, with amazing visuals, optimizations, best in class animation and mo-cap. Sorry even a game from 2017 looks better in action than Valhalla animation wise. Also art direction in all of their games is fantastic.

I will gladly pay $49 for it. But since its on steam, you can shop around greenmangaming, cdkeys and get it for less. I was able to pick up days gone on launch for less than $40. Thats a steal when looking at all the content that game has.

You can buy Horizon for like $20.

You dont have to wait long or wait at all if you shop around.

Wunray

Will pick it up when it hits 30, already played it on PS4. Just want it as apart of my PC playstation collection.

rushgore

None. Its just people wanting another experience of "first time playing and experiencing world of warcraft." All my friends bought it, told me how amazing it was and now quit cause end game content sucks. People have no patience and just want instant gratification. So glad I am not dumb and do not follow the silly sheep. I warned my friends too but the impulses were too strong. oh well.
Thanks, you saved me some bucks.

HTK

Banned
God of War on PC in January...when does God of War Ragnarok release? I feel like it might be around the corner after the GoW 2018 comes out on PC. Bait and Switch hahahaha.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Say what you want but your paying for quality. Now that its fixed Horizon, days gone, and now God of war feature tons of work that has been done to the game for PC. Packed with content, controller support and will probably be super well optimized since God of war is using DLSS. Also Days gone is super optimized and a super great looking open world game.

When you compare the quality of their games, with amazing visuals, optimizations, best in class animation and mo-cap. Sorry even a game from 2017 looks better in action than Valhalla animation wise. Also art direction in all of their games is fantastic.

I will gladly pay $49 for it. But since its on steam, you can shop around greenmangaming, cdkeys and get it for less. I was able to pick up days gone on launch for less than $40. Thats a steal when looking at all the content that game has.

You can buy Horizon for like $20.

You dont have to wait long or wait at all if you shop around.
I've got it on release on ps4. I know its a good game. works 4kch and 60fps on ps5 too.
But pc version will be way superior of course

MonarchJT

Banned
This!!! Thats the point. Sony made their money, release the game 3-4 years later on PC and if they want to play the sequel, then they will need a PlayStation and jump into their ecosystem.
I'll give a maximum of 12 month before Ragnarok get announced to PC too

Last edited:

John Wick

Well Sony might as well release games on the Xbox and Nintendo if people think releasing games on PC day 1 doesn't effect there ecosystem lol.

TBH close to 4 years after release isnt so bad, but still its not great for the brand in the long run. Takes away from the console being special
No it doesn't. 3-4 years nobody could care less. 1 year is even a decent amount of time for it not to affect Sony or PlayStation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
gamers that already choose their platform (in fact the PC) will not go to to spend 499 + 81 euro every single time for a game to buy the sequel of a game that will come VERY likely on PC and very likely will run also better. If Sony is hoping this will happen it will not...never, but we all know that instead they are simply starting to release their exclusives on PC.Just as Microsoft will start slowly then they will snowball
But that's one of the strategies in play.

If a PC gamer buys GOW or Horizon ZD and likes it, it'll entice them to buy a PS5 to play the sequel asap instead of waiting for a PC port.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
No it doesn't. 3-4 years nobody could care less. 1 year is even a decent amount of time for it not to affect Sony or PlayStation.
Ugh 1 year now would absolutely affect sony due to the fact of how hard it is to acquire a ps5 right now. Keeping it to a few years to bleed sales dry on the console to then move it to pc to accumulate more sales you werent getting is the better/smarter move

quest

Not Banned from OT

If a PC gamer buys GOW or Horizon ZD and likes it, it'll entice them to buy a PS5 to play the sequel asap instead of waiting for a PC port.
You don't know PC gamers then they are the cheapest most patient gamers out there lol. A wait on a single player game is no biggie if its coming which Sony is signaling now don't get a ps5 buy it on steam.

Andodalf

Banned
I'm confused why this is 50$. That's cheaper than the PS4 version despite improvements. If this was launched as a new sku on PS5 it would be 70$. Why does PC get a discount?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
You don't know PC gamers then they are the cheapest most patient gamers out there lol. A wait on a single player game is no biggie if its coming which Sony is signaling now don't get a ps5 buy it on steam.
I've known pc gamers that played horizon and loved it and picked up a ps5 due to the fact forbideen west has a 60fps option and that they are eager to play the sequel and want to play it sooner than later.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm confused why this is 50$. That's cheaper than the PS4 version despite improvements. If this was launched as a new sku on PS5 it would be 70$. Why does PC get a discount?

Because it's an "old" game.
Besides, the PS4 version already had plenty of promotions, discounts, and was part of Plus.
It's not like you can't get this game on PS4 for much less than 70$.

MonarchJT

Banned

there's no way that a PC gamer that know the potential of a PC compared to a console and that has preferred these to the simplicity of a console choose to spend 500 + 81 to play any game in advance knowing that Sony has started to release games on PC and that due to the hw difference between the two they will run very likely better on PC (we already see improvements that are not present on the PS5 in this god of war PC release)
we have a proof of it with the Xbox series X and the x is also a stronger console than the PS5. PC gamers don't change platforms (or at least not in a relevant way) ...probably the opposite is happening....Sony knows this in fact contrary to what some think it is not trying to sell more consoles ... but it is trying to sell software to PC users.

Last edited:
Wasn't Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut that also included new DLC that's actually quite lengthy? And Death Stranding was not simply a port of the PS4 with better graphics. It also included new game mechanics, missions, etc right?

With God of War...why would they release a 4 year old port and charge it 10$ more than when it was a new game if it's literally the same game but with better performance?

John Wick

there's no way that a PC gamer that know the potential of a PC compared to a console and that has preferred these to the simplicity of a console choose to spend 500 + 81 to play any game in advance knowing that Sony has started to release games on PC and that due to the hw difference between the two they will run very likely better on PC (we already see improvements that are not present on the PS5 in this god of war PC release)
we have a proof of it with the Xbox series X and the x is also a stronger console than the PS5. PC gamers don't change platforms (or at least not in a relevant way) ...probably the opposite is happening....Sony knows this in fact contrary to what some think it is not trying to sell more consoles ... but it is trying to sell software to PC users.
Yes PC players can be very stubborn and childish. I mean what would they do without their 4K and 120 fps and DLSS?
I mean some of them prefer to play racing games on their car simulator rig at 4k and 120hz rather than drive in actual car and race because that 165hz goodness....

Graciaus

PC gamers will not pay for online or $70 games. Either accept it or your game will bomb. It's also old and is somewhat customary to release at $40 or $50 if so. They could have got away with $60 and a 10% off for the first week or two.

cromofo

People really trying hard to cope with the fact that Sony is just another company that likes money and selling extra copies after reaching sales saturation on consoles is their new way of getting that money. Production costs are rising year on year and they'll explore any way of making extra profits, like they're doing it now with PC ports.

These galaxy brain takes of "baiting PC gamers to buy a PS5" are retarded. After decades of ignoring Sony games despite knowing how great they are, PC gamers will finally see the glorious light and drop half a grand on a box that will be collecting dust half the time. Give me a break. PC gamers aren't blind, stop sniffing Sony's farts.

Will there be PC gamers buying a PS5 after trying their games on PC? Yes. Will it be an amount worth mentioning? No, and Sony are well aware of that.

kyliethicc

PS4 version is $20.

Was $60 from April 2018 to October 2018.

In October 2018, just 6 months after launch, it was permanently price cut to $40.

Then 12 months later in October 2019 it was price cut permanently down to just $20.

Its been a $20 game for 2 years now, often on sale for just $10.

And its on PS Now, and part of the PS Plus Collection.

FuPik6P.jpg

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
People really trying hard to cope with the fact that Sony is just another company that likes money and selling extra copies after reaching sales saturation on consoles is their new way of getting that money. Production costs are rising year on year and they'll explore any way of making extra profits, like they're doing it now with PC ports.

These galaxy brain takes of "baiting PC gamers to buy a PS5" are retarded. After decades of ignoring Sony games despite knowing how great they are, PC gamers will finally see the glorious light and drop half a grand on a box that will be collecting dust half the time. Give me a break. PC gamers aren't blind, stop sniffing Sony's farts.

Will there be PC gamers buying a PS5 after trying their games on PC? Yes. Will it be an amount worth mentioning? No, and Sony are well aware of that.
Riiiiiiggggghhhhhhht.

💯💯💯💯💯

And as I said in the other thread.

This weird narrative keeps being pushed as a coping mechanism for Sony releasing games on PC.

Someone who is buying GoW now on PC didn't care enough to buy a PS4 for it in the first place. They also won't care if they have to wait another few years to play the best version of it's sequel. The pre-orders of GoW speak for themselves. They rather wait while playing thousands & thousand of games in the mean time than buy a console to play the inferior version on release.

PC & console gamers have different prerogatives. For the same reason people prefer console gaming to PC & vice versa. Sony knows this, that's why they are following MS footsteps into the PC realm. They want that PC market cheddar, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Sony will bait them into the sequel hard.
Yeah, on PC. PC gamers will just wait for the PC port. I doubt they will buy a console for one or even a handful of games when they know they will probably come to PC eventually. I doubt the “we port to PC, they will buy our console for the sequel” strategy will work for Sony.

Last edited:

Schmick

Seems a perfect strategy, they get lot of money on a game that at this point has exhausted its sales potential on Playstation (it's free with the PS+ collection) and at the same time they bait a bunch of these people to play the sequel on PS5 next year instead of waiting indefinetly.
I dont know, why would PC gamers who would prefer to play a game at 120fps/4K go to a console(s) that achieves 60fps and dynamic res?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm amazed that is, apparently, selling well as it's in such an obvious poor state.

Suckas the lot of 'em!
Well, the game is really fun.

Also, keep in mind that these issues were first noticed by the public after the games release.

But I guess I'm a sucks for enjoying a game
Why the hell that game is played so much? What new and exciting features does New World introduce to the MMORPG scene?
Does a game have to introduce new features to be fun?

God of War doesn't really add anything new to third person games, yet its popular.

People buy fifa and call of duty annually, and these sequels has little to none new features

I don’t think $50 is that crazy of a price considering it never been on the PC before. It’s like a new start of most gamers I feel.

Excess

This!!! Thats the point. Sony made their money, release the game 3-4 years later on PC and if they want to play the sequel, then they will need a PlayStation and jump into their ecosystem.
I've never seen such cope.

>Oh no, this is absolute horrible that Jimbo would ever release our precious exclusives on PC!
>God of War shows up on Steam
>This is an absolutely brilliant strategy because it will force people to buy consoles or subsidize sales

kek

KAL2006

Banned

Alot of Sony games are singleplayer. So I assume you don't want it too expensive or else people would just pirate the game or but from a key reseller.

Topher

Gold Member
I've never seen such cope.

>Oh no, this is absolute horrible that Jimbo would ever release our precious exclusives on PC!
>God of War shows up on Steam
>This is an absolutely brilliant strategy because it will force people to buy consoles or subsidize sales

kek

Aren't you quoting different people saying different things at different times?

Elios83

I dont know, why would PC gamers who would prefer to play a game at 120fps/4K go to a console(s) that achieves 60fps and dynamic res?
Seems evident to me.
If you want to play certain games it's not worth to wait 2 years?
Being able to play the games in first place is more important than resolution.

Majukun

predictable considering all the noise it made upon release..also some pc gamers love high production values

still not my cup of tea..have it on ps and never actually finished it

Top Bottom