• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

The boat downgrade on PS5 is jarring.
They had to make some sacrifices to maintain a consistent framerate.

Noice OT btw, OP

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

shubik

As I have the worst luck the in world my launch dualsense starts drifting this week 😮‍💨

Got another one order, was gonna wait for bf sales but no way playing ragnarok with a drifting controller.
I feel you. My first DualSense also got horrible stick drift last week. Kind of bummed about it after 1 1/2 years of usage...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Holy shit. How the hell do you people make such amazing OPs? Your graphic touches are phenomenal. It makes me feel like a technically illiterate trog.

Way to kill it OP. IN on the game that's going to lose to Elden Ring for GOTY!

9VCQiqR.gif
I cannot stop watching this - is there any more?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m replaying 2018 and enjoying it much less than I remember.

I am mainlining the story and I can’t believe how much time I spent doing mundane backtracking as opposed to combat last night.

I played for a couple hours and engaged in combat for about 10-15 mins. The rest of the time was rowing the boat and backtracking, switching between realms, climbing, and all sorts of other…chores. It really bummed me out.
Even when I did engage in combat, it was with the same old enemies I’d been fighting since the start. Except the ones who could only be hurt by the chains - what a fun enemy variant

It was during the section of the game where Atreus hits peak sickness and you are tending to him.
And it’s just bad in terms of pacing during that section. It feels so much like they are trying to pad it out.

I was switching realms back and forth to gather crap, and even that in itself is prolonged. The animation for switching realms, then how it makes you run through that bridge-between-worlds universe each time. They make you run along the path for like 60 seconds (loading?) before you can get to the next world. That’s after you load to get there in the first place, watch the roots unravel in the temple, etc. just loading section after loading section.

There is just an incredible amount of backtracking, loading, and filler in this game. It truly adds up when you are trying to push through the story.

I am not trying to piss on anyone’s parade but looking back, I can’t believe the scores this got. I don’t think it was held accountable for the rough pacing and iffy game design.

Frankly, what I played last night, didn’t feel like it needed to be played. At some point, if the gameplay isn’t engaging, i rather just sit back and watch. Rowing the boat, connect-the-dot climbing, forced walking, squeezing through crevices - those aren’t engaging, captivating bits of gameplay. Especially when you’re backtracking. Rather just watch a cut scene and save my hands the grief if there is nothing fun to do.

Of course the combat is fun to engage in and the graphics are, to this day, some of the best I have seen.

But if Ragnarok can’t overcome these flaws, I’m not gonna get through it. Will have to wash the taste out with a replay of the original trilogy.

Edit: apologies to fragile skneogaf😢

Last edited:

I am mainlining the story and I can’t believe how much time I spent doing mundane backtracking as opposed to combat last night.

I played for a couple hours and engaged in combat for about 10-15 mins. The rest of the time was rowing the boat and backtracking, switching between realms, climbing, and all sorts of other…chores. It really bummed me out.
Even when I did engage in combat, it was with the same old enemies I’d been fighting since the start. Except the ones who could only be hurt by the chains - what a fun enemy variant

It was during the section of the game where Atreus hits peak sickness and you are tending to him.
And it’s just bad in terms of pacing during that section. It feels so much like they are trying to pad it out.

I was switching realms back and forth to gather crap, and even that in itself is prolonged. The animation for switching realms, then how it makes you run through that bridge-between-worlds universe each time. They make you run along the path for like 60 seconds (loading?) before you can get to the next world. That’s after you load to get there in the first place, watch the roots unravel in the temple, etc. just loading section after loading section.

There is just an incredible amount of backtracking, loading, and filler in this game. It truly adds up when you are trying to push through the story.

I am not trying to piss on anyone’s parade but looking back, I can’t believe the scores this got. I don’t think it was held accountable for the rough pacing and iffy game design.

Frankly, what I played last night, didn’t feel like it needed to be played. At some point, if the gameplay isn’t engaging, i rather just sit back and watch. Rowing the boat, connect-the-dot climbing, forced walking, squeezing through crevices - those aren’t engaging, captivating bits of gameplay. Especially when you’re backtracking. Rather just watch a cut scene and save my hands the grief if there is nothing fun to do.

Of course the combat is fun to engage in and the graphics are, to this day, some of the best I have seen.

But if Ragnarok can’t overcome these flaws, I’m not gonna get through it. Will have to wash the taste out with a replay of the original trilogy.

In my opinion the Game isn't supposed to be rushed through.

For me taking my time with the game was actually the good part all those little dialogues/storys made it special.

Seems like the sequal might be even more so in this regards if we can believe those reviews about the side quests beeing very well designed.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Imagine coming into this thread to ask if theres a way to access the game early on just to find out its not being released on PC

feels bad

ungalo

I didn't play it but i have to say, from what i saw, Horizon 2 had much more new stuff and improvements over the first one compared to this game.

It's not really a sequel, it looks more like the second part of the same game at this point. Even some surprises journalists have teased so much, it's really nothing out of the ordinary.

kikkis

I have to admit I am a bit jelly for those who get to play this. GOW18 didn't have particularly good gameplay or story but the journey aspect was super good.

I didn't play it but i have to say, from what i saw, Horizon 2 had much more new stuff and improvements over the first one compared to this game.

It's not really a sequel, it looks more like the second part of the same game at this point. Even some surprises journalists have teased so much, it's really nothing out of the ordinary.
I have seen enough to think that the controls will feel more dynamic in combat, while hopefully not being too different from 2018. Mainly because I love GoW as a series.

And when you make a game in a franchise you don't want to stray too far from what was set before. I mean, they were not going to make the game look like a Mario game that plays like Elden Ring and then sprinkle some RTS éléments on top?

Thief1987

You mean like DLC?
Return when you actually played it, until then GTFO with this stupid shit.

skneogaf

I've just noticed that you had laughed at a number of my posts but I was unsure as to why!

I then see that you have mentioned me on the post you edited!

I must admit I'm surprised I got to you from my laugh omoji! I actually did laugh out loud as its drastically different take between your previous play through.

I must learn to be more mindful with my reactions as I was able to cause you to do 4 things that I'm aware of.

You may have to show a mod where I touched you!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
In my opinion the Game isn't supposed to be rushed through.

For me taking my time with the game was actually the good part all those little dialogues/storys made it special.

Seems like the sequal might be even more so in this regards if we can believe those reviews about the side quests beeing very well designed.
I can understand that. There is a lot of dialogue going on in those parts. I guess I just don’t want to be forced to do all the mundane stuff while the dialogue plays.

It really starts to feel like a chore for my hands, if the gameplay isn’t actually fun. It’s hard for me to see the merit in even controlling gameplay sections which aren’t engaging or fun.

If it were a long cut scene, I probably wouldn’t mind half as much.

That said, while the overall story is good, there is a lot of grating writing as well. The two guys who upgrade your items aren’t as funny as the developers hope them to be, for instance. Their goofiness sort of kills the atmosphere.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've just noticed that you had laughed at a number of my posts but I was unsure as to why!

I then see that you have mentioned me on the post you edited!

I must admit I'm surprised I got to you from my laugh omoji! I actually did laugh out loud as its drastically different take between your previous play through.

I must learn to be more mindful with my reactions as I was able to cause you to do 4 things that I'm aware of.

You may have to show a mod where I touched you!
Yeah, I just think it’s kinda lame when someone takes the time to share their thoughts, without any trolling, mind you…. And then you slap a “laugh” emoji on it, with no rebuttal, which tends to imply you are butthurt that someone is critiquing your favorite game.

It lowers the discourse around here.

Cause I didn’t attempt any jokes, so that’s looking like the reason. Sorry my opinion shook you, but it doesn’t have to affect your enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People are already sharing clips on PSN. Last night I watched a clip of Kratos fighting a bunch of smaller monsters. It should be fun returning to this world. I’m still sour about not getting my PIN with 2018 digital deluxe. Last time I had the cool shield. This time I’ll have some good looking skins to wear.

Nice OT 👍⚡

zkorejo

Not a single person here is playing it already? Was looking forward to spoiler free first impressions on Gaf.

zkorejo

Yeah, I got it today. Watched the first 20-30 minutes as my wife was playing it. Looks awesome. 40fps mode is good but I’ll go to 60 for that fluidity.
Do share thoughts after first session. I will go 4k 40 fps. Do share your impressions of the difference between 60 and 40 fps modes.

nowhat

Game preloaded, I've already taken next day off work. 8 hours and 15 minutes to go.

(not that I'm counting or anything)

zkorejo

preload done... streamers on Twitch play the game already btw. beware of the dynamic stream thumbnails possibly spoiling shit
YouTube is also full of first few hours streams.

I hate this part of the wait when half the world is playing and streaming and I have to be careful of everything because I will probably get it a day after release.

Not to mention, Yt algorithm is gonna act like a little bitch throwing everything GOW at me for the next couple of days.

Last edited:

Gudji

YouTube is also full of first few hours streams.

I hate this part of the wait when half the world is playing and streaming and I have to be careful of everything because I will probably get it a day after release.

Not to mention, Yt algorithm is gonna act like a little bitch throwing everything GOW at me for the next couple of days.
Install spoiler protection 2.0 and blocktube extensions on your browser. Then just add the words and channels you want to block.

Been working wonders for me, I only see what I want (like this thread for example).

Last edited:

zkorejo

Install spoiler protection 2.0 and blocktube extensions on your browser. Then just add the words and channels you want to block.

Been working wonders for me, I only see what I want (like this thread for example).
Can those be added to YouTube app phone and tv?

Edit: probably not you mentioned browser.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Yeah, I just think it’s kinda lame when someone takes the time to share their thoughts, without any trolling, mind you…. And then you slap a “laugh” emoji on it, with no rebuttal, which tends to imply you are butthurt that someone is critiquing your favorite game.

It lowers the discourse around here.

Cause I didn’t attempt any jokes, so that’s looking like the reason. Sorry my opinion shook you, but it doesn’t have to affect your enjoyment of the game.

Elden Ring is better than God of War in my opinion so it's hardly my favourite game.

Like I said I laughed out loud a little bit at the opinion change.

I assume you didn't like the world exploration and back tracking due to having already done it the first time.

I'll keep an eye for your opinions on the new game if and when you play it.

👍

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Elden Ring is better than God of War in my opinion so it's hardly my favourite game.

Like I said I laughed out loud a little bit at the opinion change.

I assume you didn't like the world exploration and back tracking due to having already done it the first time.

I'll keep an eye for your opinions on the new game if and when you play it.

👍
You weren’t laughing because I had a different experience. I don’t think one person reading this believes that.

You got called out and you’re trying to frame it so you look less obnoxious.

I forgive you. Just try to improve the discourse here from now on. Form an opinion instead of spamming laugh emojis. That’s my advice.

skneogaf

You weren’t laughing because I had a different experience. I don’t think one person reading this believes that.

You got called out and you’re trying to frame it so you look less obnoxious.

I forgive you. Just try to improve the discourse here from now on. Form an opinion instead of spamming laugh emojis. That’s my advice.

Wtf are you on about you little soy boy, go suck on your mums udders.

I wish I had the ability to meet little pricks like you in real life, I'd tare you in two.

You should sod off to retardera.

You got mad at me for laughing at what you wrote!

How soft are you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom