• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think it was that serious she was obviously joking.

she clearly is avoiding having any kinda of relationship other than following the profecy. And she probably already knows they will end up together
Nah, the look on her eyes and the tone in her voice wasn't the one of someone who is joking, the reason could be twhat you say but in that scene she just came out as annoying.

Yoboman

Late/post game area spoilers:

The crater area is fantastic. So much to do here for an entirely optional area you can only get to through a random side quest. And then it has secret areas inside the secret area

This sort of stuff that is entirely missable is what takes this game up to S Tier

SCB3

Only a few hours in and at Svaftenhiem, I'm loving it so far and can I take a moment to respect the fact that Kratos went Spartan Rage mode on a fucking BEAR!

A few thoughts on the combat so far at what I think is about mid way through on hard difficulty.

Some of you have already mentioned it's similarities to Sekiro and I totally get it. Like Sekiro this game forces you to master the core basics (On hard at least) of the combat I.e block, parry, dodge, guard break and axe throw. If you can't master these some of these bosses and mini bosses will kick you ass until you do lol. It can be frustrating at first but once you get your head around it feels so good.

Unlike Sekiro once you master the basics there's a whole layer of complexity on top of that to take advantage of once you get good through combos, runic attacks, shields, allies, build variety and probably more I'm forgetting. The difference between a video of me or a top player beating Issin in Sekiro is probably not that different accept it probably took me a 100 tries and it took them 5. The difference between me and the youtuber GBG playing this is lolololololol.

Also unlike Sekiro it also helps that the core mechanics don't piss off out the room when you encounter "shock horror" multiple enemies.

In GOW 2018 only the Valkyries and few other enemies really demanded this from you. There's been a lot more mini bosses and bosses that force you to learn the basic's here.

Great stuff

I'm now 35 hours in, game continues to fire on all cylinders and surprise me at every turn, absolutely God-Tyr *wink wink*.

No longer looking at posts in this thread until I'm done the main story though, too many inconsiderate fools openly posting spoilery stuff, be careful what you read peeps, you don't want a lot of this stuff ruined for you, trust me.

okBuT4B.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im so close to lvl 5…..lmfao it’s annoying
I did the midgard story missions thinking id hit level 5 after that but while i did get the Blades level 4 upgrade, i didnt hit level 5 until the next story mission.

However, midgard does have a lot of materials you need to level up your armor to 6. I just got unlucky earlier and didnt explore the part of the map that had them. Those extra few defense stats from level 6 armor upgrades really help even if you arent level 5. You also get health and rage upgrades and those perks slots that you dont really get from the second alfheim open world segment.

Did you fight those three elves in Midgard yet? I must have died 15-20 times and it was annoying every time. I am also sure the elves are bugged because their leader was stuck at his last health bar while I threw giant rocks at him taking zero damage. But its the setting of the fight that makes it more annoying because you hit a wall when you try and dodge out of the way. I want everyone to record that fight, i just want to see everyone fail at it repeatedly. Will NOT recommend that fight at level 4. I had an easier time with mini bosses.
In GOW 2018 only the Valkyries and few other enemies really demanded this from you. There's been a lot more mini bosses and bosses that force you to learn the basic's here.
This. It's excellent. The first game was so easy I had to switch from Normal to hard like ten hours in and even then the story was a stroll in the park until maybe those final few levels on the ship. Here its brutal on Hard in the beginning, middle and even the side content is hard. I die to mobs which is refreshing. The only issue I have is that there arent that many new Axe moves. It's the same thing though bringing runic attacks into main attacks is a brilliant change that really enhances the base combat.

I was surprised at how effective the blades were at handling multiple enemies. They actually stagger this time around unlike the last game. I stuck with the Axe for the majority of my playthrough and I think i just made the game harder for myself. Really like the stagger potential of both the Axe and Blades in this game. In the first, a lot of enemies especially the valkryies would just eat up the attacks. Here they actually stagger with each hit. Though some do manage to sneak in an attack sometimes.

Loving the combat. Took a while but man this game is fun to play.

SLB1904

Banned
The crater was the best side content so far. The level itselfb8s a puzzle. The bosses are so good to fight. Amazing stuff santa Monica. It actually reminds me a l9t of the first area of elden ring
Late/post game area spoilers:

The crater area is fantastic. So much to do here for an entirely optional area you can only get to through a random side quest. And then it has secret areas inside the secret area

This sort of stuff that is entirely missable is what takes this game up to S Tier
This guy knows what's up

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I am officially in love with the game. It is NOT the game I expected which was basically a balls to the wall God killing extravaganza like God of War 3, but thats ok. I like being surprised and I do kind of enjoy the slow character driven approach to the story. It helps the game breath as its NOT a constant THIRST FOR REVENGE plot that drove Ellie and the player to the point of burnout. I also love how they handled Odin here. I love stories doing the unexpected because im so fucking tired of the same old predictable Marvel trash I can see coming a mile away. I dont love everything about the story, but thats ok.

The game is massive. I have been playing everyday for almost a week, and spent like 20 hours playing over the weekend and im still not close to being done. This is by far the biggest most ambitious game Sony has ever produced, and now I understand why it took 4.5 years. So much new content here that it really boggles my mind. It's a shame the game starts off so slow because it gives it that DLC feel when its clear now that they were simply holding stuff back for midway through the game. I am in love with the gameplay loop. I love exploring, mini bosses, the combat, new story missions. The side missions have gotten a huge upgrade though still not as good as they couldve been. Mass Effect 2 is still the gold standard.

This is how you make a video game. GOW 2018 was already as close to perfect as you could get. This is GOW 2018 on steroids, and every single Sony studio should learn from it. Including and especially Naughty Dog. Just ditch those vast empty open worlds and make something hub driven like this where exploring every inch feels rewarding, and progressing through the story isnt punishing but fun. Finally some likeable characters. First time in a Sony game since Jin in GoT. I hated Aloy, Ellie and Abby. Dont make me hate the main characters please.

P.S Frozen Midgard is the best looking area in the game. Stunning lighting. It's a shame they couldnt get the forest areas to look as nice in the open world because they look stunning during the linear segments. I almost wish they made all the realms frozen because the daytime lighting in several realms has that really bad Dying Light feel to them. Doesnt pop like Horizon, but oddly enough the linear segments in those realms look stunning so clearly the lighting quality is being downgraded as the levels open up.

Vick

Noped the fuck out of the library. Shame because I really wanted the loot inside, and especially because up to this point I had done absolutely everything that could be done in the game no matter how hard it was. But this is meant to be done later, at least in GMGOW. Was doing great last try and she out of the blue did a red ring lightspeed slice she never did before killing me in a fraction of a second.

Game is a masterpiece by the way, close to 40 hours in and I'm probably not even half way through.

A few thoughts on the combat so far at what I think is about mid way through on hard difficulty.

Some of you have already mentioned it's similarities to Sekiro and I totally get it. Like Sekiro this game forces you to master the core basics (On hard at least) of the combat I.e block, parry, dodge, guard break and axe throw. If you can't master these some of these bosses and mini bosses will kick you ass until you do lol. It can be frustrating at first but once you get your head around it feels so good.

Unlike Sekiro once you master the basics there's a whole layer of complexity on top of that to take advantage of once you get good through combos, runic attacks, shields, allies, build variety and probably more I'm forgetting. The difference between a video of me or a top player beating Issin in Sekiro is probably not that different accept it probably took me a 100 tries and it took them 5. The difference between me and the youtuber GBG playing this is lolololololol.

Also unlike Sekiro it also helps that the core mechanics don't piss off out the room when you encounter "shock horror" multiple enemies.

Great stuff
original_d917bcf60f8a4ea4c00d9b5a94772d70.gif

Finally. Took me 4 years to read a proper acknowledgment of this system on GAF.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Did you fight those three elves in Midgard yet? I must have died 15-20 times and it was annoying every time.

That come out of the rift portal?

I tried it a few times and gave up. They are on level higher than me and the combat space is absurdly confined making it a challenge to stay clear of them

Was going to come back once I got a level up

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That come out of the rift portal?

I tried it a few times and gave up. They are on level higher than me and the combat space is absurdly confined making it a challenge to stay clear of them

Was going to come back once I got a level up
yeah. you cant roll back to avoid the ground bomb attacks because the ledges just lock you in place. I did find a way to throw the two minions off the ledge right at the very start of the fight but the king elf still took several more tries. Use the heavy runic Axe attack to lock them into place before you open the realm and then use the blades AoE light runic attack to throw them off the ledge. Then hope for the best with the solo guy who is still a pain in the ass because of his moveset.

That said, They dont drop anything good. Just move on and do the other side quests in that area.

Do you know what area specifically?

You know the side where you fought the elves? Across from that. That whole other side gives out much better rewards. The Hateful dude, the beserker mini boss and the elves drop trash. I wasted hours on them. Do all the raider camps etc.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

So I played from 3pm to 1am or so yesterday, said I was gonna dip from work for a few minutes and ended up just not showing up again lmao. Perks of being your own boss.

Got to Alfheim and beat that level + freed the giant squid, I hadn't done any other side content yet so I think i'm gonna head back to the dwarf realm and do the mining rigs

Some of these bosses and even some regular enemies kick my ass, specially if I don't have a strategy and try to just button mash, combat is definitely one of the high points of the game, I'm playing on performance + HFR and the game feels really smooth but I'm not sure if performance locked to 60 gives a little better visuals or res? Playing on a 4k OLED and just wondering if im missing out on some quality.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have 2 questions, is this library level that i'm hearing about here and there a level that you can escape from if too hard or you are locked inside when the quest start? Don't tell me anything about the plot, i don't even know what this library is, just if it is something that i can escape from if too hard.

Also a question for people who beated the game, how much do i have left if i just
defeated the nidhog with kratos and freya

Last edited:

Vick

I have 2 questions, is this library level that i'm hearing about here and there a level that you can escape from if too hard or you are locked inside when the quest start? Don't tell me anything about the plot, i don't even know what this library is, just if it is something that i can escape from if too hard.

Also a question for people who beated the game, how much do i have left if i just
defeated the nidhog with kratos and freya
It's a side quest in Alfheim. Once you enter inside and take something, not necessarily the main item you need, you can't escape until you beat the boss.

And guess what? I just kicked her ass into oblivion.

giphy.gif

It occurred to me right before starting a new main quest to simply try with the Stone Wall shield, aka "easy mode shield", upgraded it to the max available at this point and the battle became a walk in the park.

Wtf am I playing, collecting fruit and throwing stones?

This section is the God of War equivalent of the Batmobile.
Totally relatable, hated that section. But keep playing, won't take long for the game to redeem itself.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yay I platinumed the game. Wish I did not see the story trailer though... they spoiled so many things.

Last edited:

ABnormal

So I played from 3pm to 1am or so yesterday, said I was gonna dip from work for a few minutes and ended up just not showing up again lmao. Perks of being your own boss.

Got to Alfheim and beat that level + freed the giant squid, I hadn't done any other side content yet so I think i'm gonna head back to the dwarf realm and do the mining rigs

Some of these bosses and even some regular enemies kick my ass, specially if I don't have a strategy and try to just button mash, combat is definitely one of the high points of the game, I'm playing on performance + HFR and the game feels really smooth but I'm not sure if performance locked to 60 gives a little better visuals or res? Playing on a 4k OLED and just wondering if im missing out on some quality.
Performance locked gives some higher res on average. Same level of detail, apparently.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a side quest in Alfheim. Once you enter inside and take something, not necessarily the main item you need, you can't escape until you beat the boss.

giphy.gif

It occurred to me right before starting a new main quest to simply try with the Stone Wall shield, aka "easy mode shield", upgraded it to the max available at this point and the battle became a walk in the park.

Totally relatable, hated that section. But keep playing, won't take long for the game to redeem itself.
You are gonna forget that easy mode shield bullshit when enemies are gonna leave elements on you even after a block:lollipop_squinting:

Btw i found a new interesting main shield yesterday, i'm not gonna say more...(fuck you probably already have it)

Roufianos

giphy.gif

Thanks, definitely gonna stick with it, been enjoying it otherwise. Just thought the section was ending then another thing popped up grrrr.

Dibils2k

i would definitely recommend turning of HFR and playing in performance mode, you dont need more than 60fps (its not like its locked 120) and you get better picture

GymWolf

Gold Member
i would definitely recommend turning of HFR and playing in performance mode, you dont need more than 60fps (its not like its locked 120) and you get better picture
Yeah, i tried the hfr 2 times but i must be one of those people who doesn't notice too much difference going way over 60 frame, at least 20-25 frame over 60, locked 120 must feel much much better.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Spoiler free thoughts now that I'm finished the main story.

Finished the main story, and currently doing extra content. To me GoW 2018 was a 10/10 experience, whereas this game was a 9/10. Gameplay is a step above the last game because it's basically the same gameplay but with new additions and features. Storywise it's a definite step down from 2018. This game just doesn't have the directing and the emotion highs of it's predecessor, and is nowhere near as well paced. That scene where Kratos retrieves his Blades of Chaos in GoW 2018, nothing in Ragnarok comes even remotely close to how awesome that sequence was. In fact Ragnarok "payoffs" while satisfying, are not as good as the last game's. There's a lot of fat that could've been trimmed out in the story. I would say the first two hours and the last two hours of the story are by far the best, but the quality of writing is all over the place when it comes to everything between the beginning and end. The dialogue this time around ranges from great to absolutely atrocious. There are moments in the game where the dialogue comes off lazy and MCU-ish. For example whoever wrote the dialogue for
Surtur
should never write anything for a AAA game again.

I've been pretty down on something that I consider to be a 9/10 game, which I know comes off weird. But that last game was such an incredible experience and is imo one of the best told stories in gaming. This one just didn't measure up. It's a great game, but a disappointing sequel. But thankfully there's still enough good things in it for me to enjoy, and the characters are still awesome.

Last edited:

acidagfc

I am so far unimpressed with overall story and characters. Odin especially feels kinda out of place, like he is from a different setting altogether.

But the scene with
Norns
was pure fire. Hilarious and very in-character.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am so far unimpressed with overall story and characters. Odin especially feels kinda out of place, like he is from a different setting altogether.

But the scene with
Norns
was pure fire. Hilarious and very in-character.
Odin is my favorite part of it all. And yes, agreed about the spoiler, just did that last night.

Was almost hoping they would break the 4th wall there, and have a Kojima like moment where they mess with you, the gamer.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm really enjoying the game. Few things that have irked me though...

- AI constantly giving you verbal hints or clues in the middle of doing a puzzle, sometimes RIGHT before you even get a chance to take it all in.
- Weird pacing from time to time, some parts are extremely slow and too long in the tooth.
- Some of the dialogue is just... odd at times.

All in all it's a great sequel. Looking forward to finishing it.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Those
Atreus
sections are just there to hide the loading, tbh.

Jk. But the crevices are. And if they're not, that's bad design.

I want to do more side-quests, but I'm thinking I should get the spear first. I'm really looking forward to a new weapon for Kratos, so I hope it lives up to the other two.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Something that's irking me is the way a lot of conversations happen during gameplay, talking to each others backs, talking while jogging. I know it's to relay info while you move to somewhere but it still strikes me as unnatural.

I can understand Odin/Heimdall having his back to Atreus during convo's, he doesn't want to be there and helping out but for people in good standing with each other it looks weird.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Those
Atreus
sections are just there to hide the loading, tbh.

Jk. But the crevices are. And if they're not, that's bad design.

I want to do more side-quests, but I'm thinking I should get the spear first. I'm really looking forward to a new weapon for Kratos, so I hope it lives up to the other two.
Some may be there for the last gen systems on slow HDDs, others for artistic reasons.

If you load into a realm without story dialogue on the PS5, it is super fast going from one entire realm to a completely different one.

Last edited:
Just spent like 5 hours doing side-quests...seriously some of these sidequests are just as good as a lot of DLC i've paid during the years, if not better.

I also feel like one of the latest updates made these side characters more...quiet? Or maybe they are just more quiet during sidequests, who knows.

I almost forgot about the main game, lmao. The last hours i was trying to do some side stuff in alfheim but i'm getting too weak for those. Might just progress a bit more and come back later tbh.

Loving the experience so far. I'm around 20 hours in.

ebevan91

The pacing in the game is all over the place. Some segments are lasting way longer than they need to.

Atraeus's second playable segment is just dragging on and on and on.

That was such a slog. I don't normally rush through things but I was trying to rush through that. It went on for WAY too long.

Vick

Btw i found a new interesting main shield yesterday, i'm not gonna say more...(fuck you probably already have it)
It's better looking than the others, and I missed to be able to do its special move I used alot in first game, but I'll stick with the parry shield for now.

Thanks, definitely gonna stick with it, been enjoying it otherwise. Just thought the section was ending then another thing popped up grrrr.
This happens like 20 times during that section, it was infuriating.

Edit:

Oh for fuck sake.. Atreus again.

frusterated-overwhelmed.gif

Edit:

Eh okay, this isn't so bad. And looks absolutely unreal.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I'm really enjoying the game. Few things that have irked me though...

- AI constantly giving you verbal hints or clues in the middle of doing a puzzle, sometimes RIGHT before you even get a chance to take it all in.
- Weird pacing from time to time, some parts are extremely slow and too long in the tooth.
- Some of the dialogue is just... odd at times.

All in all it's a great sequel. Looking forward to finishing it.

I've had a companion give me a hint to a puzzle while I was just walking around looking for collectibles. Didn't even give me a chance to figure things out on my own.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Some may be there for the last gen systems on slow HDDs, others for artistic reasons.

If you load into a realm without story dialogue on the PS5, it is super fast going from one entire realm to a completely different one.
Some may be for artistic reasons, but I'd find them hard to justify if that's the case. There are way too many. Then there is the stuff, like hopping from realms, which you mention. So many slowdowns. This game is definitely good, but I can't think of another game right now that needs some type of "re-mix" on a more powerful console.

Btw, I edited my post to hide a spoiler, which I should have done in the first place, in case you get a chance to edit my quote in your post as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some may be for artistic reasons, but I'd find them hard to justify if that's the case. There are way too many. Then there is the stuff, like hopping from realms, which you mention. So many slowdowns. This game is definitely good, but I can't think of another game right now that needs some type of "re-mix" on a more powerful console.

Btw, I edited my post to hide a spoiler, which I should have done in the first place, in case you get a chance to edit my quote in your post as well.
There are ones that you can tell are for hiding enemy encounters or going into a new grand vista. Especially in some spots that you can kick off a shield or drop a chain for an exit/entrance when you need to circle back, and not even need to use the wall crawl going back to those areas.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I've had a companion give me a hint to a puzzle while I was just walking around looking for collectibles. Didn't even give me a chance to figure things out on my own.
Exactly! I think that happened to me when I played this morning as well. It's just WAY too excessive. I don't understand the point of attempting to put puzzles in your game when you decide to have AI constantly give you hints. Why not make it a choice? If you're confused, go talk to the person for that hint, etc.

scydrex

Yesterday i mastered all the skills i have unlocked in the training arena. When you level up a skill it give you xp. Thinking of changing from gow to no mercy. Those enemy leveling up, dying in random encounters, very aggressive enemy they don't even let me to do a combo, one shot kills from everyone and some have said it gets even harder.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Exactly! I think that happened to me when I played this morning as well. It's just WAY too excessive. I don't understand the point of attempting to put puzzles in your game when you decide to have AI constantly give you hints. Why not make it a choice? If you're confused, go talk to the person for that hint, etc.

What I hate is when someone says "hey look at that" and I have no fucking clue what they are talking about. The devs really needed some restraint in this area.

Top Bottom