• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarök Has Sold Through More Than 15 Million Units Worldwide Across PS4 And PS5!

MrA

Banned
quite impressive since they haven't given away a single copy yet,
though I'm curious as to how many ps4 copies, as you could still buy new day 1 editions just like 3 months ago

Raonak

Banned
Great game; where that DLC/standalone game at!

EDIT: LOL just saw the valhalla announcement! HYPE!

Last edited:

Kerotan

quite impressive since they haven't given away a single copy yet,
though I'm curious as to how many ps4 copies, as you could still buy new day 1 editions just like 3 months ago
$30 is the cheapest it's been and that's a recent sale I believe. This was a money maker for sure.

FrankWza

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Crayon

I haven't bought it yet but will eventually. Unless they put it up on the sub and I'm still subscribed, I guess.

MrA

Banned
Wasn't the game bundled with PS5 consoles?

Or was the price of bundle increased (in relation to base PS5) to accommodate for price of the game?
The bundle a small 10 dollars/euros discount so basically still full price

Last edited:
11M copies sold by Feb 2023 where most copies were full price, plus another 4M copies moved since then at a 75-50% of MSRP could get it to that ballpark. Maybe a tad below that.

Even if every copy was sold for 70 dollars, you'd only get 1.05 billion and we know that there were two versions of the game, with one of them being 60 dollars.

If we assume that 25% of the sales were on PS4 which I think is probably pretty conservative, it drastically reduces the revenue, especially after the reduction in price.

The revenue is even lower when we account for the PS5 bundles.

WitchHunter

Banned
Last edited:

Zuzu

A very good game with some flaws. I'm eager to see what they can do on an upgraded engine made for specifically for the PS5.

"They need to kill Kratos like they did with Joel and have a new main protagonist"

lol
Actually I agree. And I have a completely original take for a new character. Make a female Kratos that's stronger and smarter than him. So, we're going to put a chick in it. Then, we make her lame and gay. It's never been done before.

Even if every copy was sold for 70 dollars, you'd only get 1.05 billion and we know that there were two versions of the game, with one of them being 60 dollars.

If we assume that 25% of the sales were on PS4 which I think is probably pretty conservative, it drastically reduces the revenue, especially after the reduction in price.

The revenue is even lower when we account for the PS5 bundles.
Pretty sure it does 1.5 billions, not 1.05 ...and 25% is not conservative at all, most games are 80 or more on the new generation sistem

Pretty sure it does 1.5 billions, not 1.05 ...and 25% is not conservative at all, most games are 80 or more on the new generation sistem

Check your maths bruv

When this game came out it was just becoming easy to find PS5s.

In January of 2023, PS5 hit 30 million units sold. Ragnarok hit 11 million by February.

You think 80 percent of that 11 million was on PS5? That would have mean nearly 1 out of 3 people bought Ragnarok on the PS5 massively outpacing God of War 2018, despite still selling significantly fewer copies.

Midn1ght

The bundle a small 10 dollars/euros discount so basically still full price
Don't know about other countries but where I'm at, they were clearing Phat PS5 stock during black Friday, you could find Disk PS5 for 440€ and Bundle Pack (GOWR, FFXVI) for 470€. They sold a shit load of copies this November. Regardless, 15 Mill is a fantastic result.

gow3isben

In about 1 year they sold 15 million.

The PS5 install base will vastly more than double over the next few years in Ragnarok will remain a premiere title.

Yeah 30 mill lifetime is on track.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Fantastic numbers! Nintendo and Sony really are in a league of their own when it comes to their first party output.

Top Bottom