• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarök Has Sold Through More Than 15 Million Units Worldwide Across PS4 And PS5!

Robb

Gold Member
So it is approx 10% of playstation 4&5 owners got this game. Seems like a low attachment rate.
What’s the average attach rate though? That should be the baseline. I’d guess 10% is very high relative to that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Spartan Engagement mode activated.

4aed1cfc2e4189416fdd6084ed2184789db8cbec_hq.gif

Last edited:

H-I-M

15 million actual sales, that's massive.
Some lesser overhyped "game of a generation" couldn't achieve that even with manufactured GP numbers.

mariah-carey-drink.gif

Klosshufvud

In about 1 year they sold 15 million.

The PS5 install base will vastly more than double over the next few years in Ragnarok will remain a premiere title.

Yeah 30 mill lifetime is on track.
Absolutely, as long as PS5 units on sale come with Ragnarok whether you want the game or not.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
All build up with zero pay off, with some of the most baffling design choices for ability upgrades in an action game I've ever seen.

Portugeezer

It makes sense why Sony wouldn't want to put their first party titles on a service like PS Plus on day one. That's a lot of sales for a year and barely gets discounted more than 30% and probably has a good year+ of legs. 20 million is probably doable by next year.

So even as a pessimist with 10 of the 15 million sold at a discount, you're looking at $800-900 million revenue.

pasterpl

Well if you want to be technical about it then the actual attach rate is 14% since the MAU for PS is around 107M according to Statista. In any case, moving 15M units in year one of the game on the market is very impressive no matter how you look at it.
I was looking at consoles sells stats ps4 + ps5

Has a higher attach rate than all of the Xbox games you love to defend after they perform poorly.
Don’t have any stats on this metric for Xbox. But I love my switch as well and attachment rate seems to be much higher for flagship titles compared to 10-15% we have got here.

What’s the average attach rate though? That should be the baseline. I’d guess 10% is very high relative to that.
dont know, switch flagship titles usually have higher attach rates, no idea what’s is the attach rate on Xbox with gamepass.

Approximately $1 billion in revenue.

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

cannot argue with that. Probably at least 500mln net profit on this.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Don’t have any stats on this metric for Xbox. But I love my switch as well and attachment rate seems to be much higher for flagship titles compared to 10-15% we have got here.

Starfield passes 10 million players​

it is funny how some a sticking to box/offline sales numbers as it is some ultimate indicator how the game did. Let’s be fair and look at some facts; (based on the recent leaks) 75% of Xbox Series audience is digital only (series s owners), pc sales are 100% digital and we are discussing drop in sales in a country where 90% of games sold are digital. I don’t have to discredit anything, this is math my friend and based on the above facts the drop discussed in this thread is not even statistically relevant.

You just latched on to Switch because you knew your argument wouldn't work for an Xbox game. You had metrics. You just wanted to pretend you didn't after I brought it up. lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Even if every copy was sold for 70 dollars, you'd only get 1.05 billion and we know that there were two versions of the game, with one of them being 60 dollars.

If we assume that 25% of the sales were on PS4 which I think is probably pretty conservative, it drastically reduces the revenue, especially after the reduction in price.

The revenue is even lower when we account for the PS5 bundles.

Didn't Sony have a premium version of this game that came with extra goodies too?

Robb

Gold Member
switch flagship titles usually have higher attach rates, no idea what’s is the attach rate on Xbox with gamepass.
I think “usually” is a bit of a stretch. There are some incredible highs (and Switch is an anomaly even for Nintendo in that regard relative to past systems), but I wouldn’t be surprised if the average for Nintendo is well below 15% as well.

For every game that is above even 10% there’s bound to be several others that are way below even 1% that’ll drag down the average.

onQ123

Fantastic numbers! Nintendo and Sony really are in a league of their own when it comes to their first party output.
They locked my thread about Sony games that are now selling 10 , 15 & 20 million copies & this would be a new one to add to the list

pasterpl

Starfield passes 10 million players​

You just latched on to Switch because you knew your argument wouldn't work for an Xbox game. You had metrics. You just wanted to pretend you didn't after I brought it up. lol
LOL, do you even know what I was answering to? There were users that were judging game sales success based it only on boxed data from market where 80-90% of game sales are digital, on platform where similar % are digital purchases and approx 70% user base are gamepass subscribers

Not sure what you are trying to prove here, that I am stating facts?

Do you want me to compare player numbers vs actual sales as attachment rate? We don’t have stats on how many players bought starfield on pc vs Xbox (steam wasn’t the only place to buy it on pc) vs title sold purely on one platform and with provided actual sales numbers? Not mentioning impact of gamepass where about 70% of Xbox owners are subscribers Link. Do you know how comparisons works? Not sure about you but I dont like to makeup data or make assumptions.

pasterpl

Phill said to think of PlayStation & Nintendo users as part of the Xbox Community so 15 million is about 70% of Series X/S user base ( Am I doing it right? )
No. This is horrible attempt at…I don’t even know what are you trying to do?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
LOL, do you even know what I was answering to? There were users that were judging game sales success based it only on boxed data from market where 80-90% of game sales are digital, on platform where similar % are digital purchases and approx 70% user base are gamepass subscribers

Not sure what you are trying to prove here, that I am stating facts?

Do you want me to compare player numbers vs actual sales as attachment rate? We don’t have stats on how many players bought starfield on pc vs Xbox
(steam wasn’t the only place to buy it on pc) vs title sold purely on one platform and with provided actual sales numbers? Not mentioning impact of gamepass where about 70% of Xbox owners are subscribers Link. Do you know how comparisons works? Not sure about you but I dont like to makeup data or make assumptions.
You're just pretending like you don't have any metrics when you do. I wasn't trying to prove your quote wrong, I was showing you how you're aware of statistics surrounding Xbox/PC, but you pretend to be ignorant on the entire subject just for the sake of the argument.

1. We know there are 12 million players across PC and Xbox.
2. We know there are around 25m Game Pass Subscribers.
3. We know PC (Windows/Steam) has a bigger install base than PS4/PS5 combined.

Does Starfield have a poor attach rate or not?

pasterpl

You're just pretending like you don't have any metrics when you do. I wasn't trying to prove your quote wrong, I was showing you how you're aware of statistics surrounding Xbox/PC, but you pretend to be ignorant on the entire subject just for the sake of the argument.

1. We know there are 12 million players across PC and Xbox.
2. We know there are around 25m Game Pass Subscribers.
3. We know PC (Windows/Steam) has a bigger install base than PS4/PS5 combined.

Does Starfield have a poor attach rate or not?

it is not as easy as you make it, as we don’t have accurate information about sales splits etc. I hate guesstimates, but if you insist;

eg.

Owner estimations​

as not all windows PCs are gaming, and out of these steam account users % of hardware would be not be able to run the game maybe we skip PC and play your game but looking only at consoles.

But lets say there is total of 25m Xbox series consoles sold to date;

based on 12 million Starfield players we got from the last update;

If Steam sales are 1.5m as per playtracker the Xbox sales are 10.5m = 42% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 1.67m as per gamalytic the Xbox sales are 10.33m = 41% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 4.08m as per VG Insights the Xbox sales are 7.92m = 31% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 6.1m as per SteamSpy the Xbox sales are 5.9m = 23% attachment rate.

+/- 5% for other, non steam pc stores

Mr Moose

it is not as easy as you make it, as we don’t have accurate information about sales splits etc. I hate guesstimates, but if you insist;

eg.

Owner estimations​

as not all windows PCs are gaming, and out of these steam account users % of hardware would be not be able to run the game maybe we skip PC and play your game but looking only at consoles.

If Steam sales are 1.5m as per playtracker the Xbox sales are 10.5m = 42% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 1.67m as per gamalytic the Xbox sales are 10.33m = 41% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 4.08m as per VG Insights the Xbox sales are 7.92m = 31% attachment rate.
If Steam sales are 6.1m as per SteamSpy the Xbox sales are 5.9m = 23% attachment rate.

Players != sales.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

eg.

Owner estimations​

It's players, not sales.

It has 25 million Game Pass subscribers across PC and Xbox. Do you know how many people played via Game Pass PC? If you own Game Pass on PC, are you even required to play it with the minimum requirement specs?

You used the PS4+PS5 install base to determine that it had a low attach rate. You combined BOTH platforms.

So it is approx 10% of playstation 4&5 owners got this game. Seems like a low attachment rate.

Now you're saying we don't have enough PC data.

Do you know the split between PS4 and PS5 versions of God of War Ragnarok? Did you factor in PS4 players not being active after upgrading to a PS5? No.

Active users for PS4 will decline as people move to PS5. Active users for PC will almost remain the same because they're upgrading their specs. If we were to go by Steam survey, more than half own a capable GPU for Starfield.

You leave out data when it's convenient for you.

Top Bottom