• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 Beta has launched

Thabass

After an alpha test was launched last week, today CD Projekt Red announced on their GOG Twitter that the beta has officially launched and emails are starting to go out. It will done on a first come, first serve basis.

As of this writing, I have no email for the beta and I signed up on day it was announced.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Didn't get my invite yet. Only improvement I really care about with this is that it looks nicer, and they brought back the box art, rather than the ghetto-looking cards they were using before. It's weird, but a prettier interface makes me want to play games more.

[brokenrecord]Where is my Linux build?[/brokenrecord]

I mean, I can use Lutris to connect to my GOG account.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
CD Projekt has announced that the closed beta phase for GOG Galaxy Version 2.0 has been launched. GOG Galaxy 2.0 is an application designed for all gamers, that will allow to combine multiple game libraries into one and connect with friends across all gaming platforms, PC and consoles.

Those who receive an invitation, will get the opportunity to check and test the apps’ core features – connecting multiple platforms, installing and launching PC games, organizing the library and seeing friends’ gaming activity.

Here’s what gamers can expect from GOG GALAXY 2.0 in the closed beta stage:

Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.
Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.
Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Your Friends.
See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.
Compete on leaderboards and see who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.
We’re not spying on data from your computer.
With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

More
Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.
All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.
Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

Your GOG Client.
The best way to run and update your GOG games.
Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.
The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.
Last but not least, it’s worth noting that the version of GOG GALAXY 2.0 in the closed beta is still a work-in-progress application and won’t include all of the features. Moreover, users may experience some bugs or issues. Additional features and functionalities may be added during the beta phase.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I confirmed with CDPR that the beta client is no longer under NDA, so I thought I'd post some screenshots (to start with) to give everyone an idea of what to expect. Images ahoy!

My default page: Installed Games. Some of these games are Steam, some are Uplay, some are GOG, etc. Everything installed gets shown here.
FBLpy76.png

Every client or service has it's own bookmark created automatically when you link accounts. For example, this is my Uplay games bookmark
LntjOec.png

Every games list page has a really nice selection of toggles and switches, such as being able to select one or more genres, platform, ratings, OS, tags, or installed status
sj5GzU5.png

Every page also has a menu that lets you toggle how the display looks and sorting options:
n5ChLlG.png

Clicking on a game takes you to the game detail screen, which looks like this:
KRfeEGh.png

Clicking "My progress" at the top of the client takes you to where you achievements and game playtime is tracked as well as your rank among friends. Hovering over the achievement icon shows the date you unlocked it:
ThRSzgE.png

Here is the screen you use to connect accounts in the settings. You can see that many integrations are included out of the box, with support for manually adding others:
xrDC7CA.png

There is also a "features" tab that lets you toggle whether or not you want to launch each client along with GOG Galaxy, and/or exit them automatically:
GX5CmkK.png

Finally there is a "Recent" page that shows you your most recently played games, games recently played by others (popular games), as well as a summary of games added, achievements earned, and hours played. I have mine set to weekly, but you can also show this by monthly or daily:
xkN0xHk.png

Any game can be edited too:
ztftNQh.png

You can also change the artworks:
JRMuMe6.png

Overall I have to say I'm really impressed with what's available so far and it's already become my "daily driver" for launching games. They have more features planned that will make it even better.

I've been playing with this for some time and have been working with their client APIs so I'm happy to answer any questions people might have.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I confirmed with CDPR that the beta client is no longer under NDA, so I thought I'd post some screenshots (to start with) to give everyone an idea of what to expect. Images ahoy!.
Thanks for sharing! Looks great, can't wait to try it out myself.

What does it look like when you launch a non-GOG game? Does, for example, uPlay launch as normal with the splash screen, and then you need to go into the game tab and pick the game? Or does the game launch automatically? I'd love if they could launch the clients minimised so you don't need to see them.

SliChillax

I confirmed with CDPR that the beta client is no longer under NDA, so I thought I'd post some screenshots (to start with) to give everyone an idea of what to expect. Images ahoy!

My default page: Installed Games. Some of these games are Steam, some are Uplay, some are GOG, etc. Everything installed gets shown here.
FBLpy76.png

Every client or service has it's own bookmark created automatically when you link accounts. For example, this is my Uplay games bookmark
LntjOec.png

Every games list page has a really nice selection of toggles and switches, such as being able to select one or more genres, platform, ratings, OS, tags, or installed status
sj5GzU5.png

Every page also has a menu that lets you toggle how the display looks and sorting options:
n5ChLlG.png

KRfeEGh.png

Clicking "My progress" at the top of the client takes you to where you achievements and game playtime is tracked as well as your rank among friends. Hovering over the achievement icon shows the date you unlocked it:
ThRSzgE.png

Here is the screen you use to connect accounts in the settings. You can see that many integrations are included out of the box, with support for manually adding others:
xrDC7CA.png

There is also a "features" tab that lets you toggle whether or not you want to launch each client along with GOG Galaxy, and/or exit them automatically:
GX5CmkK.png

Finally there is a "Recent" page that shows you your most recently played games, games recently played by others (popular games), as well as a summary of games added, achievements earned, and hours played. I have mine set to weekly, but you can also show this by monthly or daily:
xkN0xHk.png

ztftNQh.png

JRMuMe6.png

Overall I have to say I'm really impressed with what's available so far and it's already become my "daily driver" for launching games. They have more features planned that will make it even better.

I've been playing with this for some time and have been working with their client APIs so I'm happy to answer any questions people might have.
When you link other accounts like PlayStation etc, does it only show the installed games on that console or everything you own? Im a sucker for having all my digital library displayed somewhere in all its glory but dont have the SSD space to have everything installed.

Exentryk

When you link other accounts like PlayStation etc, does it only show the installed games on that console or everything you own? Im a sucker for having all my digital library displayed somewhere in all its glory but dont have the SSD space to have everything installed.
Think in the first image it has a "All Game" link, which will likely show all games you own (whether they are installed or not).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

FBLpy76.png

LntjOec.png

sj5GzU5.png

n5ChLlG.png

KRfeEGh.png

ThRSzgE.png

xrDC7CA.png

GX5CmkK.png

xkN0xHk.png

ztftNQh.png

JRMuMe6.png

Thanks for the rundown.

I cannot wait to try this.

Come on GOG, where’s my invite? :(

Lucumo

Yep, thanks for the pictures. Is it possible to have the games listed like how it's for Galaxy 1.2 (on the very left side where games, friends and store is written)? Those tiles look pretty bad.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What does it look like when you launch a non-GOG game? Does, for example, uPlay launch as normal with the splash screen, and then you need to go into the game tab and pick the game? Or does the game launch automatically? I'd love if they could launch the clients minimised so you don't need to see them.
GOG Galaxy just simulates shortcuts, so you can test this out yourself even without an invite. Take a game you have installed (on Steam, Uplay, etc) and create a desktop shortcut for that game. Then launch it.

Every store I've tried so far, it follows this pattern: 1) if the launcher isn't loaded, it'll load the launcher and prompt you to sign in and then 2) if the launcher is running, it'll just launch the game. So having Steam, Uplay, Origin, whatever launched and minimized is definitely possible.

A few of the games I've tested though, when exiting, will exit back to their installed launcher. I don't know if that's just a setting I have incorrect, or if it's hard-wired into those launchers. Pretty easy to just minimize them again after that though.

There's a nice dialog in Galaxy though that indicates the game is launching when you press "Play":

3ibIp8w.png

Playstation is definitely the odd man out of the included integrations. It's based on your online Playstation profile, which is based on your trophy list. The trophy list is based on games you've played on PSN. So, if you play every game that you own then you're all set. In my case, most of my Playstation stuff is physical, so it shows those games as well.

NtegC6o.png

What sucks is someone could find themselves in a situation where a game is on their trophy list (and thus part of their profile) but they don't actually own the game. Stuff like "free weekends" comes to mind, as would games played via Playstation Plus after your subscription lapses. Not sure GOG can really do anything about that though.

Playstation is also pretty weird at the moment as it's really just a collection / achievement tracking system (and doesn't even track play time because PSN doesn't capture that data). If you try to install / launch a playstation game, you'll be greeted with this unhelpful message:

thu7bCM.png

Thanks for the helpful hint GOG! :) Hopefully this is updated to work with remote play streaming in the future. Same with Xbox (which is more likely, considering Microsoft's official involvement).

They really are integrating with just about every games strorefront and network. Impressive.
There are a few launchers I have installed that don't work with GOG Galaxy 2.0 "out of the box": Twitch being the one I have the most games on but also Bethesda and Arc. An upcoming patch will allow you to enter your own non-GOG games manually though so that won't be a huge issue. They also have an extensive Python API that can be used to add just about anything. There's a pretty impressive list of platform IDs that are directly integrated. Tease tease.

Most notably absent of course is Nintendo, though you can still add Switch games to Galaxy by navigating to their media page and clicking "Mark as owned".

9i1eg0q.png

However, they show up as "Platform: Other" and don't (currently) do anything besides give you option to link an EXE file.

227B1ov.png

This is probably more of a preview of things to come than anything else, as these can currently only be accessed by browsing the "popular" list on the Recent tab. If there were a page for, say, The Illusion of Gaia for the SNES: I could like the retroarch executable and give it a pass through variable to launch the game directly. So I assume they're going for something like that here eventually.

I assume you can't access the individual stores through the GoG browser?
Looks really darn nice.

Currently the "Store" section just has a "Featured" button that takes you to GOG's homepage. I'm not sure if they're planning on adding other store fronts (might be bad for business, you know) but I think that'd be a dope idea.

Yep, thanks for the pictures. Is it possible to have the games listed like how it's for Galaxy 1.2 (on the very left side where games, friends and store is written)? Those tiles look pretty bad.

It's not possible to do that with Galaxy 2.0. The only two display options for games are either grid view (which I prefer, as shown above) or list view that looks like this:
0ACXgym.png

Able to answer any other questions people have, keep them coming! Hopefully some others get into the beta they're sending invites to now and can chime in.

Lucumo

It's not possible to do that with Galaxy 2.0. The only two display options for games are either grid view (which I prefer, as shown above) or list view that looks like this:
Thanks, good to know. I guess I will have to poke them regarding that.

jshackles

Thanks, good to know. I guess I will have to poke them regarding that.
One thing you CAN do is bookmark pretty much ANYTHING, which then puts it on the left hand side. You could theoretically do this for every game you had installed but it looks terrible and the UI is cumbersome because you can't currently re-order this list.

WfOB9uS.png

There is definitely room for improvement. Even just adding the game's circular icon to the bookmark and giving you the ability to drag/drop these shortcuts into any order would go a long way to improving the situation.

Larxia

Thanks for sharing! Looks great, can't wait to try it out myself.

I mean uplay has been like that for years already though lol If you start a uplay game through steam (even as a non-steam game shortcut) it will launch the game automatically with just a quick splashscreen, you don't need to actually use uplay itself.

Domisto

What sucks is someone could find themselves in a situation where a game is on their trophy list (and thus part of their profile) but they don't actually own the game. Stuff like "free weekends" comes to mind, as would games played via Playstation Plus after your subscription lapses. Not sure GOG can really do anything about that though.
Option to hide individual titles, maybe? Could be a useful feature regardless.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they are making good progress on a pretty daunting task.

jshackles

Also thought this might be worth mentioning, the dialog for connecting a game platform shows you what it's capable of doing

GpBiVPi.png

So in this case I know if I link my battle.net account, it won't bring over achievements, game time tracking, chat or friends list. Pressing Connect brings up a browser window using GOG's built in browser and prompts you to sign in and/or enter your 2FA info.

Option to hide individual titles, maybe? Could be a useful feature regardless.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they are making good progress on a pretty daunting task.

Apparently, the ability to hide games from your games list is coming soon

X49kGMe.png

FBLpy76.png

LntjOec.png

sj5GzU5.png

n5ChLlG.png

KRfeEGh.png

ThRSzgE.png

xrDC7CA.png

GX5CmkK.png

xkN0xHk.png

ztftNQh.png

JRMuMe6.png

Amazing post ! Thanks sir.

Can you tell me if this program can count hours passed playing game on Playstation 4 ?

jshackles

Has nobody else here got their invite yet?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I blame myself. I signed up for the initial Gwent beta, got accepted, downloaded and played it for 5 minutes and never touched it again. And I love Gwent. They probably know that and skipped me for this beta. Boo.

What a fool I was.

Kenpachii

This is exactly what we needed. Exactly this. Absolutely great.

Also how does the client work with forums? and steamworks? If i add for example a steam game can i use the mods and steamworks function still within the program or watch discussions?

jshackles

Seems the beta rollout is going pretty slowly by the looks of things. I was part of the initial alpha testing so it's kinda surprising that they're holding off on making this more widely available just yet.

This is exactly what we needed. Exactly this. Absolutely great.

Also how does the client work with forums? and steamworks? If i add for example a steam game can i use the mods and steamworks function still within the program or watch discussions?

Currently the client doesn't work at all with forums or any webpage that isn't GOG's. I don't think they'll be adding that in either as I think they're trying to create a balance of staying neutral while still not directly linking to Steam store pages and stuff.

Kadayi

Banned
Has nobody else here got their invite yet?

Nope. I signed up straight away as well.

I did get an email from GOG the other day pop up on my notifications and was all excited but it turned out to be some privacy policy update ...

tenor.gif

Thabass

Nope. I signed up straight away as well.

I did get an email from GOG the other day pop up on my notifications and was all excited but it turned out to be some privacy policy update ...

tenor.gif

I finally got my invite yesterday. I signed up May 22nd lol

Top Bottom