• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good 16 bit-Platfformers...

ourumov

Since this summer won't be very good in Europe for gamers I had the idea of spend it beating 16 bit platfformers I never played. I would like you to recommend me some.
So far I decided to beat this ones:

Castle of Illusion
Rocket Knight Adventures

Any additions you submit will be welcome...

Oh! Btw, if you can recommend me quality beat-em ups (FF genre) it would be great :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
607486_full.jpg

704141-607532-games_cover-resized200.jpg

streets2.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
Platformers? Sonic is the only game in town

And Dungeons and Dragons is an awesome beat em up if you have access to an arcade/Saturn/mame (SOR II and III will do if you just want 16-bit games)

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi 3
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Ristar
Quakshot
Ranger X
Rocket Knight Adventures
Mega Man: Wily Wars
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Twin Bee
Castlevania 4
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra 3
Contra Hard Corps
Midnight Resistence
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time
Mega Man X 1-3

ourumov

Sonic 1 FINISHED
Sonic 2 FINISHED
Sonic 3 FINISHED
Sonic & Knuckles
Revenge of Shinobi PLAYED TILL THE MIDDLE
Shinobi 3 FINISHED
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy TRIED (I own it too)
Ristar TRIED
Quakshot
Ranger X TRIED
Rocket Knight Adventures TRIED
Mega Man: Wily Wars
Super Mario World PLAYED TILL THE MIDDLE
Yoshi's Island FINISHED
Twin Bee
Castlevania 4 FINISHED
Castlevania Bloodlines TRIED (I own it too)
Contra 3 FINISHED
Contra Hard Corps FINISHED
Midnight Resistence
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time TRIED
Mega Man X 1-3 TRIED

I am a platfformer whore :)

Link316

Banned
ourumov said:
Oh! Btw, if you can recommend me quality beat-em ups (FF genre) it would be great :)

Batman Returns
Captain Commando
Ninja Warriors Again

Adventures of Batman & Robin (the Konami SNES version, not that crappy Sega one)
Mega Man X2

BojTrek

Banned
Turbo Grafx 16 whore here... I loved these... but I cannot remember if there were others...

Bonk's Adventure
JJ & Jeff
Legendary Axe

XS+

Banned
Don't forget to play the crappy Sega version of The Adventures of Batman and Robin, it rocks (but it's very difficult)

ourumov

I bought it on launch date on PAL zones. Quite possibly one of the best SNES platfformers...I was never able to finish it...No saving system ...No passwords... It was impossible.

Ar_

SNES platforms:

First, getting the obvious out of the way: Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1 2 3, Super Metroid, assorted Megaman games - I didnt like Megaman and Metroid much, Yoshi was a bit slow but otherwise impressive, DCK is mainly for the good looks and sound, Mario rocked in its bareboneness.

Puzzle oriented: Prince of Persia 1 and 2, Blackthorne, Flashback, Out of this world, Lost Vikings 1 and 2 - niche games, I havent played them much (or at least not the SNES versions) and cant swear on their quality, but some might be good.

Some combat platformers:
Castlevania IV - good
Demon's Crest - good G&G spinoff, slower pace due the adventure spin
Super Ghouls and Ghost - good
Contra - good
Sky Blazer - little known but nice.
Hagane - played little but seemed pretty good
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 - pretty amusing looking and playable, at times dull, IIRC.
Joe and Mac 1 and 2 - played little and long ago, should be ok
Magic Sword - more combat than platformer, ok to kill a little time
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy - for the NES lovers
Kirby - assuming there is some good one
Aladdin - and a ton of other Disney games, if they are your thing
Cybernator - someone loves it, never played much myself
Go Go Ackman - from a manga of Torayama, 3 platform games were made on the SNES, jap only. Gameplay was nothing special but looked amusingly absurd, especially the latest ones.
Super Turrican 1 and 2 - played briefly, seemed good, epecially 2
Super Valis 4 - mediocre
Pitfall Mayan Adventure - nothing special but neither too hideous
Super Bonk - played briefly, looked good. IIRC it also has a jap-only sequel or two, fan translated.
Tiny Toons Adventures - I guess is ok, if you like cuteness
Cyborg 009, assorted James Pond, - no idea if are good, played too briefly

Rocket Knight was avail for both MD and SNES, and I think the games were different. On the SNES was called.... Sparkster maybe?

SNES fighting games:

From Capcom there were Captain Commando, King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, assorted Final Fight games, and probably more. KoD looked relatively good, but Final Fight is probably still the best.
Sonic Blastman was another game I cant recall much of...
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 was good IIRC
Ninja Warriors was different from the arcade, pretty good, but 2d movement, in other words you could move left and right, not up and down as in FF and clones.
X Men Mutant Apocalypse - similiar to ninja warriors, briefly played, looked good

Megadrive:

I havent checked my list of games, but a few platformers are:

Contra Hard Cops - very good
Castlevania - not the best of them, but playable
Gunstar Heroes - Good
Rolling Thunder 2 and 3 - slow pace, but good in their own way
Wonderboy - cant remember whch were the good ones
Toki - arcade was nice, no idea of the conversion
Wardner - see Toki, but the arcade is really old in this case and looks dated
Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3 - Good
Ex Ranza (maybe called Ranger X in the USA?) - really liked this one
Alien Soldier - from Treasure, too confusing for me to stick with it, but has some fans
Strider - decent
Sonic - Duh. More of them than I could count
Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck games, lots of them, cant remember the names but some were decent
Alex Kid, Rastan Saga - havent played but sound interesting
Mystic Defender - at the time I liked it. Now I cant ever remember what it was about =p
Splatterhouse 2 - at a glance looks good

Fighting games:

Golden Axe - good, I didnt like the sequels
Street of Rage 1 / 2 / 3 - someone loved them, I preferred Final Fight
Splatterhouse 3 - see sphouse 2
Alien ... what was it? Alien Storm maybe? Was good for a genesis game.

Ranger X

May sound gay at first with Disney liscence but Capcom had some great platformers on the SNES like Mickey's Magical Quest and Aladin. I still play those again today!!

belgurdo

Banned
adrockthekid said:
I cannot express my disagreement with this statement accurately. I disagree on the very most fundamental level. Wow.

Which begs the question of why you simply didn't offer your own fucking list of games the guy should play instead of overreacting and melodramatizing over my post, which wasn't that serious to begin with...

Suerte

Did anyone play Dynamite Heddy? I played it when I was about 7 years old and remember being pretty much like "W...t...f?" although I had fun with it, whatever it was.

belgurdo

Banned
Suerte said:
Did anyone play Dynamite Heddy? I played it when I was about 7 years old and remember being pretty much like "W...t...f?" although I had fun with it, whatever it was.

Awesome game, pretty original too. Starts getting tough towards the end too.

And has anyone played Hagane on the SNES? Neat Ninja Gaiden clone there.

Hagane1.jpg

Suerte

belgurdo said:
Awesome game, pretty original too. Starts getting tough towards the end too.

It was made by Treasure, right? Damn I had taste even when I was too young to care who made a game, heh

Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude.

Actually it kinda sucks, I just really wanted an excuse to throw that name out there. I honestly DID love "Aero the Acro-bat," though. It's hard as hell - I think I only ever passed the first set of stages once or twice, ever - but it's actually pretty original and has some rocking music to boot.

I think I'm the only person out there who doesn't understand why people make constant fun of the first Bubsy. I thought it was both fun and challenging. What's the big deal with it?

Bubsy 2 is horrible.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
bubsy1.jpg

People always hatin on Bubsy, but that furcat had tude.
The game was actually alot of fun. Tons of secrets, and the log slides were so innovative. The game wasn't just a side scroller, it's levels were almost as high as they were long.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The two you already have picked are excellent. Have to agree with Dynamite Headdy and Earthworm Jim.

XS+

Banned
Target Earth on Genesis is way oldskool, but back in the day it rocked hard. It still plays great but the graphics and sound are dated.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Magical Hat Adventure was fun, and although it's not strictly 16bit - Castlevania: SOTN on PSOne owned me for a large amount of time.

Otherwise, the Violinist of Hamlin was a lot of fun, as was Jelly Boy on Snes. You lot have done a great job of mentioning most of the rest. Oh, and Megaman 7. And Contra on Megadrive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Cold Shadow said:
I actually own this game and it fucking rox, go buy this shit right now.

So true, I remember loving the first Bubsy games.

El Papa

Metal Warriors for SNES! That game was so cool, I remember wasting away summer days with 2 player death match.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
It seemed like there was a small rash of platformers based off brand mascots for a while, like 7UP's Cool Spot. Did Dominos ever make an Avoid the Noid game?

While not exactly a platformer, Flashback was intriguing. Same with Out of this World.

Top Bottom