• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google’s new tools help discussion forums and social media platforms rank higher in search results

near

Gold Member
Google today introduced new tools for website owners, including those running social media sites and discussion forums, who want to better elevate their content in Google’s search results. The feature follows Google’s reprioritization of user-generated web content over SEO-optimized junk, which has increasingly become a problem on today’s modern web. In May, Google first rolled out a new “Perspectives” search filter that would highlight posts from discussion boards like Reddit, Q&A sites like Quora and social media platforms in its search results. The feature, which first arrived on mobile, was launched to desktop users earlier this month along with other search changes.

The company also said its ranking algorithm was being updated to push more of these firsthand perspectives higher in search results so they’re easier to find.

With the new tools, Google is giving websites hosting first-person perspectives the ability to signal to the search engine how their data is structured so their content will be featured both accurately and “as complete as possible” in Google’s Search Results, the company explains.

For example, with the new ProfilePage markup, any site where creators post content will be able to showcase their creators’ profiles directly in Google Search results, including information like their name, handle, profile photo, follower count or the popularity of their content. Both Google’s Perspectives feature and its Discussions and Forums feature can make use of this type of markup.

Meanwhile, the DiscussionForumPosting markup will help Google to better recognize the conversations that are coming from any online forum or discussion site around the web. While Google can already identify a number of top forums, like Reddit, in its Search Results, this markup would allow other, smaller sites to be better indexed, categorized and ranked by Google’s new algorithm, as well.

To support site owners in implementing these changes, Google is updating its Search Console with new reporting that will show things like errors, warnings and valid items related to their marked-up pages. Both features will also be available in the Rich Results Test so site owners can test and validate any markup changes.

Of course, Google’s experiments with next-generation search don’t end there. The company is also testing its own generative AI answer engine, Search Generative Experience, and recently announced an experiment that will let users annotate web pages with notes — likely, a hedge against Reddit choosing to lock down its site behind an API so as not be the source for AI training data without payment. If annotations took off, Google will have effectively built its own Reddit on Google directly, but the feature is still an opt-in experiment for now.

This is interesting and since it could directly impact how GAF generates traffic in the near future, thought it was worth sharing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This has potential. I find myself recently adding the suffix "reddit" at the end of a lot of my searches for the very same reason.

This has potential. I find myself recently adding the suffix "reddit" at the end of a lot of my searches for the very same reason.

You have to, and it used to not be like that. Consolidation of the internet is partly to blame, but so is google striving to make more money from ads.

Konnor

They create the problem by severely deranking forums and many independent platforms while promoting corporate media and AI generated trash and now that google's reputation is severely tarnished because its search results are fucking awful they introduce new tools to fix the problem they created

Rival

Gold Member
Google changes to their search algorithm have devastated a lot of smaller websites essentially destroying their page views and in turn ruining their ability to make money.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Googling “Harry Potter”

First result
“Yes it is a trans-genicide a FAQ and what you can do about it today”

I think I am fine with AI generated SEO garbage

Top Bottom