• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Yiazmat

i1fgCzT6Uthblz.jpg

2issFsU.jpg

Not Bugatti showing everyone else how it's done.

Educate them.

whitney-vacuum-o.gif

RaijinFY

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-sales-revealed-at-2-37-million-copies/

GT6 sold 2.37M copies.

That puts the slow updates on missing content/features in GT6 and the silence surrounding GT7 into a different perspective. I am surprised to see it so low but maybe GT6 actually was the wake-up call the vocal minority wanted it to be.

Prologue did quite a bit more...

I am surprised to see it so low but maybe GT6 actually was the wake-up call the vocal minority wanted it to be.

Maybe... But racing games don't sell very well these days.

GT's got a lot more competition now but I still think GT7 will be a mega-seller on the PS4.

It definitely will be. I'm just praying to Kaz for G27 support. He has to include it somehow and I don't care how. I feel like if PD gets the wheel to work, it won't be with FFB.

It definitely will be. I'm just praying to Kaz for G27 support. He has to include it somehow and I don't care how. I feel like if PD gets the wheel to work, it won't be with FFB.

The only thing they can do is attempt to do something like what's happened with last-gen MadCatz sticks. MadCatz hasn't added PS4 support for their sticks, but someone created drivers for them anyway to get them to work. Because it's clear as day now that Logitech isn't going to add support for any wheels before the G29. They expect us to pay $400 for a wheel where the only real upgrade to it is that there's more resistance on the brake pedal.

Niks

GT6 sold 2.37M copies.

That puts the slow updates on missing content/features in GT6 and the silence surrounding GT7 into a different perspective. I am surprised to see it so low but maybe GT6 actually was the wake-up call the vocal minority wanted it to be.

Such a flop.

To think the time wasted on developing GT6 could have been used to develop GT7. Don't know what PD and Sony were thinking when they approved this..

Massive bomba... now please stop dicking about and give me Course Maker.

Have you tried replacing the hard drive?

I'm all sorted now, I forgot I'd swapped the system kernel which made all retail firmwares incompatible, but it was too late. I had already wiped the hdd clean and now I suffer the Polyphony install torture :(

Such a flop.

To think the time wasted on developing GT6 could have been used to develop GT7. Don't know what PD and Sony were thinking when they approved this..

The PS3 has a massive userbase, so they were just looking at that. No one knew that the PS3's floor would drop from under it the second the PS4 was released. It took everyone by surprise, which is why you still see last-gen games in development. Companies wouldn't have even bothered had they known how PS3 games would perform now.

The whole situation makes me wonder if PD will just go one and done this generation with GT. Drop GT7, give it lots of DLC support over the next several years, while working on GT8 for the PS5 on the side.

Niks

The PS3 has a massive userbase, so they were just looking at that. No one knew that the PS3's floor would drop from under it the second the PS4 was released. It took everyone by surprise, which is why you still see last-gen games in development. Companies wouldn't have even bothered had they known how PS3 games would perform now

Yeah of course. I'm not against realeasing games late in a console cycle. Keyword late, not days after a highly hyped console debuts. I have no doubt Sony planned to realease GT6 6 months before the PS4 launch, but due to Kaz polishing the game, it took longer than expected.

The whole situation makes me wonder if PD will just go one and done this generation with GT. Drop GT7, give it lots of DLC support over the next several years, while working on GT8 for the PS5 on the side.

Yeah that seems to be the case. I think driveclub will be the first to adopt this model. Breaking them as "seasons" or such.

I thought the original source of the numbers was from the court documents in the ongoing Virag litigation case against SCEA though?

Start here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177462494&postcount=403

Basically someone on GTplanet did some searching and discovered that these were actually the numbers VIRAG presented to the court for GT's numbers. They just took GT's total number from Polyphony's site and combined them with what that banned site had for the sales of GT6 at the time.

Someone finally translated some of Polyphony's job listings...and they're pretty interesting.The ones that will interest people the most are

1.)
Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behavior.

2.)
Implementing specific regulations for racing series like GT, rally and NASCAR is mentioned, also for events and “mission races.”

3.)
Polyphony plans to implement a tool to render audio based on 3D space information.

4.)
The studio is collaborating with production sites around the world, and needs to develop communication tools to make the process smoother.

2 must be linked to the flag sets found in GT6, iirc, those three and F1, plus hazard flags were listed.

refresher:

FLAG_NONE
FLAG_BLUE
FLAG_OIL
FLAG_GREEN
FLAG_WHITE
FLAG_ORANGE
FLAG_BLACK
FLAG_13
FLAG_14
FLAG_YELLOW0
FLAG_YELLOW1
FLAG_YELLOW2
FLAG_15
FLAG_16
FLAG_RED
FLAG_CHEQUERED
FLAGSET_NONE
FLAGSET_NORMAL
FLAGSET_F1
FLAGSET_NASCAR
FLAGSET_LOW
FLAGSET_RALLY

With the oil flag surely mechanical failures are in the pipeline with the racing cars?

3 must be the AES?

Yeah, we've been teased with rules for various race types for some time, so it'd be huge if it finally happens. That alone would dramatically change the career mode. It'd actually allow for them to make seasons.

Also, does anyone else feel this could be about outsourcing?

The studio is collaborating with production sites around the world, and needs to develop communication tools to make the process smoother.

Yeah, we've been teased with rules for various race types for some time, so it'd be huge if it finally happens. That alone would dramatically change the career mode. It'd actually allow for them to make seasons.

Its vague. I mean are they collaborating on the actual development of the game? Is it within SCE?

Its vague. I mean are they collaborating on the actual development of the game? Is it within SCE?

Either one of those would be a big change for them. From what we know they never work with anyone else. That means internal at Sony or external. We're already seeing some big changes considering they're hiring western devs as well as devs known for working on other racing properties. They also recently did a CEDEC tech presentation, which is super rare for them. And then there's the PitStop blog. I'd imagine that it's going to be much more active once GT7 is announced. They obviously can't talk about much regarding GT right now since pretty much anything they said would be about GT7. Which leads to them often posting about event related stuff like GT Academy and the Nurburgring 24h.

amar212

There are local SCE branches that are somewhat called "GT Production" in both SCEA/SCEE. Also, they are working with companies (such as suspension company for GT6 or various car collecting companies/private collectors) for various purposes.

I see the language remaining greatest obstacle, simply because everything in PD is internalised and done on their propietary tools which are all in Japanese. I do not think it is outsourcing (as seen in FM production), but more in light of collaborations they embark on constantly.

Mascot

With the imminent release of Forza Motorsport 6 you'd think now would be the perfect time for Sony to release something - anything - to do with GT7. A target render, an audio clip, a track announcement... anything, FFS.

amar212

With the imminent release of Forza Motorsport 6 you'd think now would be the perfect time for Sony to release something - anything - to do with GT7. A target render, an audio clip, a track announcement... anything, FFS.

I do not see anything released for both GT6/GT7 until it is 100% ready, certified and internally scheduled for release.

Noone has any idea about what past 36 months have been for PD, so I do not see anything being released ever again before they want it to and they say it is ready for release.

Mascot

I do not see anything released for both GT6/GT7 until it is 100% ready, certified and internally scheduled for release.

Noone has any idea about what past 36 months have been for PD, so I do not see anything being released ever again before they want it to and they say it is ready for release.

Whoah... no game-asset screenshots, previews or marketing at all for GT7 until the game is ready to go gold? Has any dev ever been that bold before?

ruttyboy

Do you mean no-one, except you? As in, people generally don't appreciate (or know) what's happened?

amar212

Whoah... no game-asset screenshots, previews or marketing at all for GT7 until the game is ready to go gold? Has any dev ever been that bold before?

That is not what I said.

Do you mean no-one, except you? As in, people generally don't appreciate (or know) what's happened?

When I said "noone", I didn't mean literally "no one". But generally, public usually have no idea what is going on in production internally (not just PD), and it is best that way IMO

Yeah, sorry for the misinterpretation. You understand it could be read that way though?

Sure, but it really wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective to just announce a game once it's finished. They're just going to want it to be like GT6 was when it was announced. Where it was at a point where they knew a timeframe that it would absolutely be released in. They don't want another GT5 situation on their hands. And if you look at that GT7 rumor thread, or nearly any thread related to GT, it's clear why. Because every time one pops up you have a crowd of people that jump in with "LOL LOL, it's not coming out to 2019/2020 etc." all because of a single game.

Mascot

Sure, but it really wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective to just announce a game once it's finished.

Nothing would surprise me with PD's marketing plans for GT7, and with Amar being an insider I just figured PD were fed up of the shitstorm that Delaygate caused and had decided to trade on their rep and bank on the love of their fans and not release any media until the game was ready.

You never know, it might be an awesome marketing strategy. But who would have the stones to do it..?

Well, they're going to need a marketing window to push it. You don't stealth release a major title like GT. And just having it sitting around for months until you get the marketing up to speed is dangerous just from a standpoint of how big that Day 1 patch is going to be.

Niks

So reading between the lines, all this means we will probably not get a GT7 announcement at this years TGS.

Please be exited for 2016 E3.

Nope. Kaz was asked about it at the recent Peugeot event and said he couldn't talk about it right now. I think they've likely just moved it to the PS4. They could use it as a demo for GT7. It's better suited for GT7 anyway since they could have more tracks that are FIA certified. As of GT6 only Suzuka, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, and Bathurst are certified.

Double H

I don't know if this article from the FIA's Auto publication was ever covered in detail. From Issue #8, Q3 2014 (pdf):

• FIA & PD partnership has two-fold aim, promote motor sport safety and encourage youth participation in motor sport
  • Track homologation started late 2013. Silverstone, Suzuka, Brands Hatch and Bathurst first to meet the FIA’s standards. “Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans will be next but they still need a small amount of work.”
  • On Polyphony Digital’s data capture methods:
    Jacques Berger said:
    “They are using very impressive, very complex methods to digitize the circuits,” he says. “They use photos from helicopters, GPS, Differential GPS and laser scans to build a 3D circuit.”
  • FIA will promote safety by grading tracks, with warnings displayed as to a vehicle’s suitability or otherwise for particular circuits.
    Jacques Berger said:
    “We will look at circuits and for example say, ‘Okay, this circuit is not suitable for Formula One because the run-off areas are not suitable, the barriers are not right’,” says Berger. “We will put a small asterisk saying ‘the FIA does not recommend you to play on this circuit with the following types of car’. There will be grades of circuits in the game. Of course, in the virtual world, they will not be forbidden from using these cars on the circuit, but the message will be clear.”
  • Virtual homologation will cover a three-year period, the same as for real world circuits. Homologation dates will be included.
    Jacques Berger said:
    “So if we homologated the Fuji circuit in 2013, the next homologation is set for 2016, so there will be a photo of the circuit in 2013. If there is a big change we could modify the drawing but normally the homologation is for three years.”

So if Fuji was homolgated from late 2013, just under 2/3rds of the period have already past without use. Jeez PD…

• Yamauchi says online FIA GT Championship is not designed to be a driver discovery programme, but a means of making motor sport accessible to as many people as possible, through accurate simulations.
    Jacques Berger said:
    “The FIA’s online championship is an exciting possibility. We know that it will be difficult to build due to the computing power necessary. But the possibility is there. Yes, everything is possible.”

Also some new Hyundai N 2025 Vision Gran Turismo teasers, http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5096083.html

i1zsXf4pApu23RH.jpg

i16WbYzmCnneGuB.jpg

ruttyboy

I don't know if this article from the FIA's Auto publication was ever covered in detail. From Issue #8, Q3 2014 (pdf):

• FIA & PD partnership has two-fold aim, promote motor sport safety and encourage youth participation in motor sport
  • Track homologation started late 2013. Silverstone, Suzuka, Brands Hatch and Bathurst first to meet the FIA’s standards. “Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans will be next but they still need a small amount of work.”
  • On Polyphony Digital’s data capture methods:

• FIA will promote safety by grading tracks, with warnings displayed as to a vehicle’s suitability or otherwise for particular circuits.

• Virtual homologation will cover a three-year period, the same as for real world circuits. Homologation dates will be included.

So if Fuji was homolgated from late 2013, just under 2/3rds of the period have already past without use. Jeez PD…

• Yamauchi says online FIA GT Championship is not designed to be a driver discovery programme, but a means of making motor sport accessible to as many people as possible, through accurate simulations.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

I wonder what they mean by 'the computing power necessary', is that a veiled admission that they were having trouble getting it to work on the PS3?

I also kind of cringe when I think of how much of a clusterfuck the first running of the championship will be. I really hope there's some kind of skill restriction on entry.

All these Vision GT cars will be in GT7, I assume?

No reason to suspect that they wouldn't be. It's going to be around 30 cars when it's all said and done. Just tossing them out after GT6 seems like a waste.

Anyone think it'd be a good idea for PD to work with FIA in building the actual career mode in GT7? It seems like it'd be a nice step in a much more serious direction for that mode.

Mascot

Anyone think it'd be a good idea for PD to work with FIA in building the actual career mode in GT7? It seems like it'd be a nice step in a much more serious direction for that mode.

I'm all for a better simulation of motorsport format, rules, regulations etc in the GT series. It's something that continues to frustrate me with Forza.

Authenticity = good.

I for one would stop bitching about PD last efforts.

But after GT6, it seems very unlikely. They dumbed down the game a lot to entice casuals, so I don't see they trying the opposite in 7.

Mascot

I for one would stop bitching about PD last efforts.

But after GT6, it seems very unlikely. They dumbed down the game a lot to entice casuals, so I don't see they trying the opposite in 7.

And Kaz might be looking at FM6's stellar reviews and thinking how Turn 10 appeal to the masses.

Top Bottom