• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Himuro said:
What's the real life equivalent of this shot? What is that place in the background? Isn't that in New Jersey? Something Ship Yard? I saw a comparison shot in the past.

69967865.jpg

Looks like Coney Island, where the Cyclones stadium is.

Remember last gen when the GTA games only had graphics on par with the rest of the PS2 Xbox library? Looks like this game will be at the top in terms of graphics this time.

Rezbit

Okay, allow this, but don't lock new threads with new info just because people feel the need to say "OLD" "LOCK" etc.

Chumly

bishoptl said:
I'm going to allow this one. Having all of the info in one post/thread is handy, and with two (!!!) Smash Bros breaking the Megathread etiquette FAQ, GTA IV certainly deserves similar treatment.
So this gives us the go ahead to be able to make megathreads for other games? Considering smash is in no way similar to this thread because it has updates 5 days a week until release and the other "megathread" was only created 1 and a half weeks before the supposed release date to hold on leaks/rumors.

Himuro said:
- Targeting system has been retooled. It has a Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War like targeting system, which is perfect for GTA, to be honest.

I don't think this is confirmed- we don't really know dick about the new target system. I personally hope for a cover button and still some sort of lock-on feature, but one that doesn't make it as easy as previous games. Judging from stuff like the new wanted level system, I think this will be an evolutionary shift in all of the gameplay elements of the series.

I remember one of the first things we learned about the game is that you can climb telephone poles. What the fuck?

C4Lukins

Chumly said:
So this gives us the go ahead to be able to make megathreads for other games? Considering smash is in no way similar to this thread because it has updates 5 days a week until release and the other "megathread" was only created 1 and a half weeks before the supposed release date to hold on leaks/rumors.

Really, what do you care? There is only a half dozen games at the level of a GTA or Smash Brothers so let the mods decide if they want to make exceptions. This thread was helpful to me because I have not been following the sporadic flow of information on the game, and it is a nice collection of info by someone who worked hard on it. Are you really sitting there pissed off that some sacred rule has been violated?

Himuro said:
Heaven forbid we actually talk about games instead of console wars or sales.
heaven forbid we actually post new info in a new thread when there is new info, instead of bunching everything up into one megaclusterfuck weels/months before the game is released...

Chumly

C4Lukins said:
Really, what do you care? There is only a half dozen games at the level of a GTA or Smash Brothers so let the mods decide if they want to make exceptions. This thread was helpful to me because I have not been following the sporadic flow of information on the game, and it is a nice collection of info by someone who worked hard on it. Are you really sitting there pissed off that some sacred rule has been violated?
Wow did someone get really upset by what i said? Cry more please. :lol :lol

What i actually think is the no megathread rule should go away and we should be able to do it for all big games. I was asking if the rule has been repealed or if GTAIV is going to be the only one allowed to do this. I actually think this thread is awesome and there should be MORE like it. Next time dont assume shit before you post.

Dead Man

The Faceless Master said:
heaven forbid we actually post new info in a new thread when there is new info, instead of bunching everything up into one megaclusterfuck weels/months before the game is released...

It's only a problem if the OP isn't updated with the new info.

Also, does anyone have a spare ticket for the hype train? I seem to have lost mine but I really want to ride it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So do we have a better idea on the release date yet? Cuz I don't really want to wait until Holiday 2008

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
i completely fucking approve of this thread. This game, of all games, is the one that gets me to go next gen. My target is around july.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro said:
So apparently the new previews should be concentrating on the single player section of the game's missions. That's just a guess on my part but Hilary Goldstein says this on the IGN forums "New preview on Jan 23. Saw many missions. Lots to talk about."

Hmm. One can only hope that multiplayer tidbits is in there!

Whoever thinks GTAIV will be delayed to holiday 2008 is CRAZY.

April to May at most.

I trust Rockstar to finish it by April-June, However I don't trust Take Two to not delay it for the Holiday big bucks :/

C4Lukins

Chumly said:
Wow did someone get really upset by what i said? Cry more please. :lol :lol

What i actually think is the no megathread rule should go away and we should be able to do it for all big games. I was asking if the rule has been repealed or if GTAIV is going to be the only one allowed to do this. I actually think this thread is awesome and there should be MORE like it. Next time dont assume shit before you post.

No need to get all pissy, I was generally curious about the fury surrounding such a thread. I think the megathread rule is fine. I just think it is silly when you have a huge game like GTA/Halo/Smash Bros. where you have new info that a ton of people care about and each game gets divided into 200 separate threads. When you have a smaller game it is not a big deal because nobody bothers to start a thread everytime a new feature is announced. Anyway this is a good thread to combine the info, and I am sure we will still see a billion other GTA4 threads each time something new is brought up.

Ciel

Needs more peds in Times Square and other crowded areas. Like, Dead Rising amounts. GTA is one of my favorite series but it generally always felt like a ghost town to me. Or you could be in an empty area, adjust the camera and BOOM! a big ass crowd spawns out of nowhere. Very annoying.

Ciel said:
Needs more peds in Times Square and other crowded areas. Like, Dead Rising amounts. GTA is one of my favorite series but it generally always felt like a ghost town to me. Or you could be in an empty area, adjust the camera and BOOM! a big ass crowd spawns out of nowhere. Very annoying.

DR amounts, aside from being impossible for a game like this, wouldn't be fun in the long run. Having the streets filled with people would mean you'd always have the police on you since you'd always be running over people. And when you'd be on foot you'd have one hell of a time navigating through those crowds.

Chumly

C4Lukins said:
No need to get all pissy, I was generally curious about the fury surrounding such a thread. I think the megathread rule is fine. I just think it is silly when you have a huge game like GTA/Halo/Smash Bros. where you have new info that a ton of people care about and each game gets divided into 200 separate threads. When you have a smaller game it is not a big deal because nobody bothers to start a thread everytime a new feature is announced. Anyway this is a good thread to combine the info, and I am sure we will still see a billion other GTA4 threads each time something new is brought up.
I agree with you but im just asking if we can do it for other big games for the reasons you said. Smash IS completely different from this thread because it is a regular update thread with new stuff every single day thats why it was the "execption". Its even called the official update thread. Sporsk always made people make new threads when we got new info that wasnt from the dojo. Thats why i wanted to ask if were going to do away with the rule or if this thread is the going to be the only exception.

Anyways no need to fill this awesome thread up with needless bickering I was just trying to ask a simple question.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My most anticipated game for 2008 by far, well unless Starcraft 2 comes out in 08 then its second.

Garcia

Damn... To think I'm just 20 hours into San Andreas, I have to finish that one first.

Artwork looks great, and thos screenshots are sweetl.

Sean

Banned
Himuro said:
So apparently the new previews should be concentrating on the single player section of the game's missions. That's just a guess on my part but Hilary Goldstein says this on the IGN forums "New preview on Jan 23. Saw many missions. Lots to talk about."

That's interesting, if Rockstar is doing preview demos maybe the game really is on schedule after all.

Scottlarock said:
anyword on a demo coming? or did i miss it?

Don't count on it. There's no need to do a demo for a game like GTA, it'll sell no matter what.

Chris R

I'm really hoping for a PC version at some point in the future :(

PS3 version will work if no PC version ever comes, even if I have to run and aim with a icky sixaxis controller :9

Ranger X

I'm really hyped for this game. It's almost impossible it's bad. I'm sure it will be great. Epic GTA, i can't wait to play you.

Himuro said:
Ugh. That would be just as bad as the "you should get a ticket for speeding! Ultra realistic!" and "There should be traffic jams! Ultra realistic!" bullshit.

Exactly. Sometimes you've got to take out what might be realistic because it's just not fun. The idea of tickets might make sense in something like The Getaway, but for GTA it would be annoying. One of the best things about GTA is just driving around and if you make that annoying by tickets or making the streets crowded then you're going to piss off many of the series fans.

dejay

Banned
Where was RUN DMC "Sucker M.C.s" played in relation to GTA IV? I don't remember reading/seeing/hearing about it. Throw in some Beastie Boys and I'm in heaven. I vote for "Root Down"

Himuro said:
Hilary Goldstein says this on the IGN forums "New preview on Jan 23. Saw many missions. Lots to talk about."

Ooh, actual mission talk. Sounds like they've got some shit locked down. It'll be interesting to read about how complete it feels at the moment.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wow, the formatting is totally screwed up on the first page.

And I'm ready for the official site to launch.

DrXym

How about wait for some proper, non-exclusive previews and screw reporting all this viral marketing bullshit?

A game should justify its hype by actually being good, not by the number of websites and other crap the marketing department can invent.

andthebeatgoeson

ashiato said:
To be completely honest though, basically the gameplay in the GTA series has not changed since the first 2d version - making it 3D and adding new vehicles hasn't changed the gameplay. And key to GTA gameplay is two things - jacking any vehicle you want and the fact that just driving wildly is so damn fun. That's why I'm concerned about how it won't be easy to jack vehicles any more.

I hope they don't lose sight of this as well. One of the things I hated about Vice City was how small the streets were. You couldn't just tear off and haul ass down the streets. I know Miami is set up that way but it was annoying hitting small things,like a mail box and coming to a complete stop. I hope 4 gets back to 3's roots where you can just drive forever on a police chase w/o worrying about mailboxes and trash cans from stopping you. Hopefully, the power of 360/PS3 shines through in those type of physics. In reality, a light pole will stop you but in a game, it adds nothing to gameplay to have it be such an inmovable object.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DrXym said:
How about wait for some proper, non-exclusive previews and screw reporting all this viral marketing bullshit?

A game should justify its hype by actually being good, not by the number of websites and other crap the marketing department can invent.

What the hell is this loon talking about?

There haven't been any viral websites for GTAIV. Not yet. But when they launch it will be something to celebrate. They're great fun with Rockstar's sense of humor and do a good job of introducing characters, the city, and the soundtrack.

And what do you mean by non-exclusive previews? Kikizo, GameSpot, IGN, GamesRadar, CVG, and 1UP will have their own fresh previews this Wednesday.

Wollan

So we will finally get the full answer on how the controls work? Just give us a over the shoulder aim ala MGS4 and it's perfect imo, no more of that lock-on fiddling.

DrXym

Goreomedy said:
What the hell is this loon talking about?

I'm talking about the inordinate amount of hype GTA has already received, entirely absent of any substantial game footage.

Goreomedy said:
There haven't been any viral websites for GTAIV. Not yet. But when they launch it will be something to celebrate. They're great fun with Rockstar's sense of humor and do a good job of introducing characters, the city, and the soundtrack.

I didn't say the sites were up yet but they will be. And there has certainly been piles of hype in the meantime.

Goreomedy said:
And what do you mean by non-exclusive previews? Kikizo, GameSpot, IGN, GamesRadar, CVG, and 1UP will have their own fresh previews this Wednesday.

Good, it will be about time. Reading between the lines of previews is the first opportunity anyone has to tell if the game is any good or not.

DrXym said:

When have they done that with this game? The last set of previews were rather negative because of how unpolished the game was. So if it hasn't improved greatly I doubt the new previews will be any different.

Ciel

SolidSnakex said:
Exactly. Sometimes you've got to take out what might be realistic because it's just not fun. The idea of tickets might make sense in something like The Getaway, but for GTA it would be annoying. One of the best things about GTA is just driving around and if you make that annoying by tickets or making the streets crowded then you're going to piss off many of the series fans.

I see where you're coming from, but people do play in wildly different ways. At school, it was always on at our house, and not everybody just liked to drive around. Personally I liked mixing up my play [BMX, kill people, get wanted, stunt while chased, steal cop car, ditch flaming cop car, continue to wreak havoc on foot, etc.] I'm a showoff with ADD so the more difficult it looks to pull shit off, the more satisfied I am.

And I was a bit hyperbolic with the DR thing. But I still feel more peds would be awesome.

Tickets would be dumb. A useless punishment that would add nothing to gameplay.

DrXym

Ciel said:
Tickets would be dumb. A useless punishment that would add nothing to gameplay.

Mafia used to ticket you if you jumped lights or sped while cops were around. It's arguable if it made the game fun, but it certain made it more realistic. Strangely though they wouldn't ticket you if you drove on the pavement or various other obvious offences.

Ciel

DrXym said:
Mafia used to ticket you if you jumped lights or sped while cops were around. It's arguable if it made the game fun, but it certain made it more realistic. Strangely though they wouldn't ticket you if you drove on the pavement or various other obvious offences.

So you get a ticket and then what? The cop sets your court date and you pay the fine? I can see how it'd be cool if while getting ticketed you could choose to accept the ticket or pop the piggy.

Otherwise it seems dumb to me.

Funny that they don't care about the drunk driving though:D

DrXym

Ciel said:
So you get a ticket and then what? The cop sets your court date and you pay the fine? I can see how it'd be cool if while getting ticketed you could choose to accept the ticket or pop the piggy.

Otherwise it seems dumb to me.

Funny that they don't care about the drunk driving though:D

Basically in Mafia you had to keep under the speed limit. If you sped and the cops saw you, you'd be pulled over. If you pulled over you took a fine and that was it. There was nothing of course to stop you speeding away or pulling a gun and shooting at the cops but the consequences were usually worse.

In some ways this made the game more realistic, but it could be a bit of pain because driving around took a lot of time. In some ways Mafia was closer to Hitman than GTA, in that you sometimes had to remain inconspicuous and that meant not speeding, not walking around with a gun drawn and so on.

Pharmacy

Banned
DrXym said:
Basically in Mafia you had to keep under the speed limit. If you sped and the cops saw you, you'd be pulled over. If you pulled over you took a fine and that was it. There was nothing of course to stop you speeding away or pulling a gun and shooting at the cops but the consequences were usually worse.

In some ways this made the game more realistic, but it could be a bit of pain because driving around took a lot of time. In some ways Mafia was closer to Hitman than GTA, in that you sometimes had to remain inconspicuous and that meant not speeding, not walking around with a gun drawn and so on.

...which is the stuff GTA needs to keep away from

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
San Andreas killed the franchise for me. I am interested in seeing what they do with this one, just not hyped. I'm willing to give the series another shot.

Router said:
San Andreas killed the franchise for me. I am interested in seeing what they do with this one, just not hyped. I'm willing to give the series another shot.

It didn't kill it for me, but the sheer size of it didn't actually do much for me. Compared to S I liked the compactness of GTA3 and VC. Some of the remote areas of SA felt like filler material.

womfalcs3

Banned
I really hope the game comes out on that date. I would like to buy it before I leave for Saudi... in which I have no idea when games get released.

skinnyrattler said:
I hope they don't lose sight of this as well. One of the things I hated about Vice City was how small the streets were. You couldn't just tear off and haul ass down the streets. I know Miami is set up that way but it was annoying hitting small things,like a mail box and coming to a complete stop. I hope 4 gets back to 3's roots where you can just drive forever on a police chase w/o worrying about mailboxes and trash cans from stopping you. Hopefully, the power of 360/PS3 shines through in those type of physics. In reality, a light pole will stop you but in a game, it adds nothing to gameplay to have it be such an inmovable object.

Since you are supposedly going to be taking taxis everywhere and it's New York City, I wouldn't hope for endless stretches of little traffic. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom