• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agent Ironside said:
Got to looking at this
crash.gif

Was wondering, do you think thats realtime deformation on the car when it crushes, or do you think its precanned for the scene?

Whoa, is that from one of the trailers/videos officially releaed ?

guise

I went to Gamestation to pre-order it earlier today... 150 people already on the list :|

Multiplatform pre-orders, but still thats a lot of damn sales.

dejay

Banned
I think this game is gonna move a few consoles before it hits and if it lives up to even 50% of it's hype it will move millions after it hits.

camineet

Banned
Even though GTA IV is expected to seel buttloads, I hope it sells better than expected so that it's less likely that EA buys Take Two. I hope GTA IV sells 14-15M instead of the expected 9-10M. I don't know if anything can stop EA from taking over Take Two at this point but I'd like to believe there's hope.

camineet

Banned
got2bekidding said:
It's from the third trailer I believe, but I'm even doubting myself so checking now. lol

Edit: Yup 3rd.

Yes it's from the 3rd trailer, "Ladies, move up". I'm sure the deformation is canned animation for that realtime cut-scene. Though could you imagine a GTA game with Burnout Paradise level car crumpling? holy shit :D

I'm leaning towards a PS3 now because of the reliability issues of Xbox 360 (still). Although in my last post on the subject I had strongly favored getting the Xbox 360 version because it's ahead in development and the extra upcoming content. I'm still ultimately going to get both versions without a doubt. I think PS3 would be best because every PS3 has a harddrive and WiFi. There's no reliability problems with PS3. I think Xbox 360 version will make more sense once both the 1st and 2nd episodes are out and the more reliable Jasper units are available. Cheaper 360, lower price 360 GTA IV ($40 by early next year) and having all the DLC ready by then. Though many people with 360 who don't have a PS3 will just get the 360 version next month.

Domino Theory said:
When I get this game, I think I'm just going to go into the Steinway Beer Garden in the game and just drink all day, all the time.

Anyone who cares to join me, feel free.
Haha I'm there. And next time you're in Queens, I'll take you to the real Beer Garden.

blanky

Hey guys I found some MP shots on this dutch website, some pictures are old but some clearly show the multiplayer aspect. link

52343.jpg

52331.jpg

52326.jpg

examples taken down :(

megateto

Does anybody know what's the word on the languages the different PS3 versions will include? I'm considering importing to Euroland from Canada or USA (35$ is a lot of money)

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
4186-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

Wow. First shot to really give me a sense of the map...

Edit: removed shot since it wasn't a valid link anymore :(
Re-Edit: switched to gtanet's copy of the pic

Xemu said:
52318.jpg

Wow. First shot to really give me a sense of the map...
My dream is standing on the bridge at night, looking out at the glistening city and letting the ambient background noises swim around me just minutes before whipping out a rocket launcher and firing a shot into the whole mess of it.

blanky said:
United Airlines will not be happy about this.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm calling Bull Shit on those MP shots. They just don't look right, and could be taking from any part of the single player game..........

snoopers

I am multitalented
GQman2121 said:
I'm calling Bull Shit on those MP shots. They just don't look right, and could be taking from any part of the single player game..........

There was a multiplayer presentation in London last week, wouldn't surprise me if xbworld broke an embargo or something.

newsguy

GQman2121 said:

Well the airport screens seem legit because it's the setting for Hangman's NOOSE mode which is the co-op vs. the A.I mode.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
GQman2121 said:
That pic with the airplane could just as easily be the Hangman's Noose scenario described in a certain recent magazine preview.
edit: beaten :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Xemu said:
http://www.xboxworld.nl/images/content/52318.jpg[img]

Wow. First shot to really give me a sense of the map...[/QUOTE]

WTF is it with Rockstar filtering every image? It makes the game look like shit.

SolidSnakex said:
The new Xbox World 360 magazine will have a 17 page blow out on the multiplayer mode in their next issue. They've also done a podcast where they talk about it, the discussion begins around 49 minutes in.. I just listened to it and here's some of the highlights

- They love the multiplayer mode. They talk about how in other games you're able to forgive it for having a poor multiplayer mode because it might have an amazing single player mode. But then you see GTA4 and it has as big of a single player mode as those games and an amazing multiplayer mode to go along with it.

- They say it's one of the best looking games on the 360. The lighting is what makes it according to them. They go on to talk about how games like Oblivion are hurt visually because of it'll chug sometimes and how something like Gears is really beautiful but it's very linear. But GTA4 has the size of Oblivion and the beauty of Gears.

- The framerate is really smooth. They mentioned the only time it started to chug is when 4-8 of them were shooting rocket launchers at a gas station to make it blow up.

- It's mentioned that at any time you can just pull out your phone and jump into a game.

- One of them mentions how he's always felt that the series has been a "jack of all trades, master of none" type game, and now it's a master of them all.

- The combat is amazing. They said it feels like Resident Evil 4.

- The driving is really good although it's harder than any of the previous versions. They mention that if an actual racing game used its driving model you'd be happy with it.
- They'll be leaving next week to review it.

http://mos.futurenet.com/video/xboxworld360/podcast/XBWPodcastNo13.mp3

Midnight-Club-Los-Angeles-7.jpg
:D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just got my Game Informer in the mail with some (new?) GTA tidbits:

"Select a weapon with the d-pad. At this point the game offers the choice between free targeting and auto lock, or a combo of both. Depress teh left trigger halfway and go into an "aim mode" similar to Gears of War. Click the right analog for a further, fine targeting zoom. At any point you can fully press the left trigger and cycle between auto targets by flicking the right stick. You do have some flexibility even with auto targeting, as you can move it to various limbs and appendages on the target, doing a quick kneecap or headshot.

"We even took a lady friend bowling (in a fully interactive minigame)"

Ranger X

Teetris said:
WTF is it with Rockstar filtering every image? It makes the game look like shit.

Nobody knows for sure. Might be a filter in the game.
Let's just hope we can turn this shit off in the options menu.

I hope the minigames function a lot better than pool did in SA. It was a great idea but holy fuck, how poorly executed when it came to the physics. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that beat the opposing player down with the pool cue after losing.

camineet

Banned
Forgive me for stating the obvious here:

It's nice that GTA IV has visuals that are anywhere from decent to exellent.

GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas all had bad graphics on PS2 which were improved to some degree on Xbox, but still were bad graphics by last-gen console standards.

GTA IV starts off with pretty good graphics by current-gen console standards, and that's an impressive feat for a very large (though not massive like SA) open world where you can do what you like (within what's possible) in a world that's brimming with NPCs and things going on all around you. All with no loading times and very very little drawi-n/pop-up.

newsguy

got2bekidding said:
I hope the minigames function a lot better than pool did in SA. It was a great idea but holy fuck, how poorly executed when it came to the physics.

Physics ARE GTA4. Fear not.

newsguy

Ok, looking at the MP pics I have one minor concern. Why are the markers for the people literally covering their faces? I hope they disappear when you're zooming. It would be pretty distracting when setting up a headshot.

I enjoy the filtering of the images more then I originally thought. It must be a specific rendering technique that keeps jaggies in the distance to a minimum. So, you can either complain about the jaggies or the filtering. Of course, on this fourm, we will hate both. :)

I bet it's done when the polycount for objects drops to a certain amount and forces the regions of the model to render as circular gradients (from full opacity to none) extruding from the center of the rendered polygon. Obtaining it's center color value from the overall average color of the region that is to be represented.

But I'm not a programmer (Not for games anyways). So. That's just my guess.

Edit: oooor it's just bad jpeg compression. Hah

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
newsguy said:
Ok, looking at the MP pics I have one minor concern. Why are the markers for the people literally covering their faces? I hope they disappear when you're zooming. It would be pretty distracting when setting up a headshot.

there is a screenshot that shows that the markers are above the head.

newsguy

Gexecuter said:
there is a screenshot that shows that the markers are above the head.

Yeah I was looking at that now. I see that it's a simple dot of the head when you're on the ground, and I assume when you're firing by air you get the down arrow covering the face.

that Xbox 360 World article says they've condensed all the skyscrapers into south algonquin. that's weird if it's true- there are huge buildings throughout manhattan, at least up to central park. empire state building next to the brooklyn bridge is gonna bug me.

AkuMifune

Banned
I had a dream I was in GTAIV last night. I broke into some dudes house, stole some cloths, had sex with his wife, killed him as he came from work, then stole his car out of the parking garage in the basement. I have no idea if you'll be able to do any of that stuff, but I'm super hyped either way. :D

newsguy

AkuMifune said:
I had a dream I was in GTAIV last night. I broke into some dudes house, stole some cloths, had sex with his wife, killed him as he came from work, then stole his car out of the parking garage in the basement. I have no idea if you'll be able to do any of that stuff, but I'm super hyped either way. :D

This is getting out of hand. I've been hyped for many games over the years, but never like this. The crazy thing is that this is the 3rd post in the thread involving GTA dreams, myself being one of them. My dream was so vivid it included the lock-on target that I was slightly adjusting for a headshot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AkuMifune said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom