• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in Unreal Engine 4 - Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The idea of GTA SA UE4 born 4 years ago wanting to revolutionize the way of making GTA SA machinimas, so GTA SA Star Wars UE4 was made. GTA SA Star Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Djm... The problem is that we were still limited by not having the entire map, until now, we finally managed to recreate the entire world of GTA SA in Unreal Engine and here is the result.

We worked very hard on this, it was already 1 year ago that we officially started the project, and we went through different phases, here you can see a Beta. Beta Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTv4... We hope you like, share, and subscribe for more, very soon we will be bringing more videos. :) We want to remember that this is not a remake of the game, it is a tool to create machinimas.

Birdo

Banned
I never got why people liked the "haze" and fog effects, they were clearly there to hide the hideous Ps2 draw distance.

It made the map feel bigger.

It's actually tiny:

0vIhbN3df1DH2bv6lbZ47r7sSYR2PMx9Lie3zJgCMQk.jpg

ehhh nah

what kind of music u presenting this to

this is all wrong

you need to play some eazy e and show some green vs purple action

some vatos locos

lowriders, you feel me

not some hipster just got done taking a nap shit da fuck

EDIT: oh shit op i just realizef you worked on this lol, the visuals are impressive for sure and the recreation is excellent

but it still stands the spirit of san andreas is still missing

im just channeling chad warden a bit aka c wizzy aka big papi aka chad daddy

Last edited:

CamHostage

Heh, I thought they were porting the GTA 5 San Andreas area to UE4, didn't make sense in my head until I saw San Fiero and Las Venturas... so this is the GTA '3' San Andreas map, but retextured and rebuilt at a next-gen level of scale? That's interesting.

...Don't quite get how it's a "tool for machinimas", though? I kind of thought the point of machinimas was using the game and models users are familiar with (or modifying them for fun to do interesting things and wow people by what's possible in that game engine.) If you just want to make your own CG stories, you can rip off maps from whatever videogame you want or kitbash from a billion UE/Unity asset providers to make up your machinma backgrounds. Building the whole thing anew, and making it look nothing like the San Andreas game, it's cool to have and all but it feels like they veered away from what's interesting about machinima in the first place. Granted, I have not sought out to watch a machinima in about a decade (is Red vs Blue still going?), but if you're not using the machine to make the cinema, is it still machinima?

Last edited:
It looks really nice even though I don't need it, I'm a stickler for original art style & charm. I do agree with a previous poster that the emphasis of the aesthetic should be on 90's hip hop culture.

If the point of the project is just to showcase a familar map in a new engine, Than that's cool you can slap whatever nostalgic music you want over it, but if this is literally a story port then it's got to honour the culture of the game story in sound too.

kiphalfton

It doesn't look right without the fog :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Was playing GTA San Andreas the other night and the moon was out. As I drove towards the horizon, a building popped into view in front of the moon.

Can't believe this is what we used to be okay with. I love San Andreas, but the game needs to be fully remastered.

Droxcy

This is so cool! You guys knocked it out of the park also great trailer song one of the better songs on the GTA V radio stations.

Tschumi

Damn you for doing this to that game. What yearning I'm feeling right now~ the last great GTA game~

You're bloody legends, thank you! Awesome!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Don't like it.

Just looks like someone polished and suited up a turd. There are a lot of major improvements but it just looks so bad...

What this game needs is a complete remake.

Stuart360

Those images are a bit missleading, assuming this remake is 100% accurate scale. When you are down at street level, and have to spend 10mins driving from downtown LA into the wilderness, or 20mins driving to Vegas, thats when you realize just how big the map is. Its like in GTA4, when you do that helicopter mission, and you fly way above Liberty City and it looks tiny, but at street level, its huge.

With how popular GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas still are, it blows my mind that we havent got remakes like this yet. I mean christ, pay a fee to whoever did this and just spend 2 or 3 months polishing it up.

Inviusx

Honestly refreshing to see a project that was just "hey we wanted to build the San Andreas map in UE4 to make machinimas" and not "YO WE REMAKING SAN ANDREAS IN UE4 SUBSCRIBE TO MY OUR PATREON AND EXPECT REGULAR UPDATES OH GOD ROCKSTAR WHAT IS A CEASE AND DESIST?"

They nailed it.

Top Bottom