• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V has now sold approximately 200 million copies

Draugoth

Gold Member

Grand Theft Auto 5 has now sold approximately 200 million copies.

That’s according to publisher Take-Two, revealing the figure ahead of the company’s earnings call on Thursday.

The game, which was originally released in 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, was later rereleased on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and then later on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S/X.

According to previous figures, the game had shipped 180 million units as of March 2023, up from 175 million three months earlier. The game continues to consistently appear on best-seller lists in the decade since its original release.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I bought it 3 times.

I regret nothing.

200.gif

I bought 3 times on PlayStation alone…

rm082e

You are not missing much, I finished a couple months ago for the first time and I think even IV, which I found dissapointing, was a better experience.

I tried to play 3 and 4. Both times, I got to the first chase sequence, I got too far away from the person I was supposed to be chasing, and the game failed me several times in a row. I just turned it off and played something else.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have still never played it. :messenger_neutral:
Neither me and almost none of my friends or people I know IRL... It makes me wonder where those sales come from. Hell Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, League Of Legends... Those are games I can easily see people playing or at least having the game for whatever reason but never GTAV

nush

Gold Member
I only brought it twice, £5 for the next gen version that I played for about an hour to see 1st person mode.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GTA is one of the forefathers of open world gaming imagine GTA 5 getting a ps5 release.

I tried to play 3 and 4. Both times, I got to the first chase sequence, I got too far away from the person I was supposed to be chasing, and the game failed me several times in a row. I just turned it off and played something else.
It's kind of my experience with all GTA games, I hate the mission structure of these games, the third time I fail a mission I'm pretty much done with the game, because the core game loop of shooting and driving isn't fun enough for me to want to keep repeating the same mission.
I end up them just screw around in the game, run over pedestrians, car jack some one, have a shoot out with the police, check out the strip club, and after a couple of hours of that I'm done with the game.
The thing is I always getting suckered in by the hype and buy the game, bought III, Vice, San Andreas, IV, finally with V I held off and got a free copy from Epic years later, and yup, exactly the same experience. IV was the only one I made any significant progress in the main campaign, just because I liked the main character, but even that one I don't think got through even half of the main campaign.

S0ULZB0URNE

Neither me and almost none of my friends or people I know IRL... It makes me wonder where those sales come from. Hell Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, League Of Legends... Those are games I can easily see people playing or at least having the game for whatever reason but never GTAV
Top selling console games always are bought for children.
GTA,COD for example and sadly the parents buy em.

Last edited:

rm082e

It's kind of my experience with all GTA games, I hate the mission structure of these games, the third time I fail a mission I'm pretty much done with the game, because the core game loop of shooting and driving isn't fun enough for me to want to keep repeating the same mission.
I end up them just screw around in the game, run over pedestrians, car jack some one, have a shoot out with the police, check out the strip club, and after a couple of hours of that I'm done with the game.
The thing is I always getting suckered in by the hype and buy the game, bought III, Vice, San Andreas, IV, finally with V I held off and got a free copy from Epic years later, and yup, exactly the same experience. IV was the only one I made any significant progress in the main campaign, just because I liked the main character, but even that one I don't think got through even half of the main campaign.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've felt like a weirdo for years seeing all these people go nuts over these games.

I even like the open world structure. I like Assassin's Creed Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla. I also like FarCry 3-6. I really liked Days Gone. But GTA just always...bleh...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Top selling console games always are bought for children.
GTA,COD for example and sadly the parents buy em.
I don't think you're supposed to sell that much only selling to children and fans lol, I'm yet to see any child with MK8 and it have "only" sold 60M, yet I see many adults Switch owners with the game, same for stuff like God Of War reboots

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't think you're supposed to sell that much only selling to children and fans lol, I'm yet to see any child with MK8 and it have "only" sold 60M, yet I see many adults Switch owners with the game, same for stuff like God Of War reboots
Not only of course but go into the lobbies to these games and it's not much different than Fortnite...

If I'm not mistaken a study was done some years back and it had females being the biggest game buyers. We know they are buying for little Jimmy.

SHA

That number indicates we don't need a sequel cause no one cares, from a business perspective that's really scary.

rofif

Banned
Casual crap.
Story worse than 4.
Multiple characters bs.
Worse sandbox than 4 because worse physics.
It’s a good game but I think 4 was better in every way.

Undeserved sales.

That's an immense amount of double, triple and quadruple dipping.

I still haven't bought it and probably never will, lol. I dig OG Rockstar, but GTAV and its online component is the embodiment of where it really started to go wrong with gaming. At least, in regards to AAA.

Last edited:
I bought it 3 times. I regret it. Not that it's a bad game, but by the time it came out on PC I was already over my GTA hype. Rockstar games, beyond the campaign, don't do it for me anymore.

Majormaxxx

Bro, that is plain wrong. 😡

I agree, forcing me to buy it three times is plain wrong. Should have been a free next gen upgrade.

Considering getting it for my ps5 because of their greedy money making scheme of not releasing a next gen patch but will wait for the price to drop more.

Robb

Gold Member
Insane numbers. Doubt they’ll be able to replicate it with the next one though, especially considering all the streaming services etc. nowadays.

I’ve never bought a single copy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom