• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great [?] Moments in MMORPG History

Shoho said:
all of you people who keep blabbing about WoW, irritates me.

You people got no freaking idea. MMO history? everything from planetside, to AC to Lineage 2 to City of Heroes had more value...
the lack of EVE comments is disturbing...

wow is such a turd.

"All this WOW stuff sucks! All these other MMORPGs had way better events! Unfortunately, I'm not going to tell you about any of them."

Great Rumbler said:
"All this WOW stuff sucks! All these other MMORPGs had way better events! Unfortunately, I'm not going to tell you about any of them."

Asheron's Call - Darktide PvP server

every single minute, every second on that server was full of excitement and history-in-the-making kind of events.It's hard to explain it to people who think paying 5000g for an ultra rare epic mount #392 is a great moment in MMORPG history.

AfunkyArcadeStick said:

every single minute, every second on that server was full of excitement and history-in-the-making kind of events.It's hard to explain it to people who think paying 5000g for an ultra rare epic mount #392 is a great moment in MMORPG history.

I'm sure it was, but without, you know, specifics and documentation, it's kind of hard to do anything.

traveler

Not Wario
AfunkyArcadeStick said:

I don't think a single person has cited buying a mount as an example of one of the great historical moments WoW has to offer. Way to overlook AQ, The Plague, the funeral crash, etc. there buddy.

I liked when an Everquest guide summoned a bunch of players to Veeshan's Peak (the toughest zone in the game at the time) and bound them under a dragon. The characters died nearly instantly, and after death automatically reloaded at their bind spot...under the dragon. With up to 20% of a level lost for each death, players lost numerous levels and were in general subjected to severe and unescapable pain.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/088/088149p1.html

Cryect

traveler said:
I don't think a single person has cited buying a mount as an example of one of the great historical moments WoW has to offer. Way to overlook AQ, The Plague, the funeral crash, etc. there buddy.

It is when you buy it with sex.

Shoho said:
all of you people who keep blabbing about WoW, irritates me.

You people got no freaking idea. MMO history? City of Heroes had more value...

wow is such a turd.
name 1 player or bug created event in CoH that even comes close to the real life prostitution or genocidal plague mentioned in the wow stories.

Suburban Cowboy said:
name 1 player or bug created event in CoH that even comes close to the real life prostitution or genocidal plague mentioned in the wow stories.

That's not great, that's pathetic.

Oh and the plague?

Ever heard of Horizons Empire of Istaria?

Yeah.

AfunkyArcadeStick said:
That's not great, that's pathetic.

Oh and the plague?

Ever heard of Horizons Empire of Istaria?

Yeah.

Once again, if you're going to complain about what's included in the OP and what everyone else is talking about, maybe you should stimulate some discussion of your own by posting pictures, videos, articles, or posts from other forums?

Throwing out random generalizations and names of games doesn't do much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AfunkyArcadeStick said:
who?

anyways I was just pointing out a couple of things :D
More like unsubstantiated plugging.

UltraMagnanimous said:
These EVE stories always sound fantastic, there was a similar one to the above a few years ago too. I think I'll try out that 14 day trial. NeoGAF corporation anyone?

Are you referring to this one? "The Great Scam", another EVE Online scam from 2005 or so. It's pretty well written, too...

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

Not exactly on the scale of "The Epic Heist", but a pretty impressive story for sure.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Those who know me when I play WoW know that I love it when the opposition attacks a city. Of course it doesn't work that great anymore due to insane guard HP and spawn rates but raids are always cool fun just to mess around in. Personally for me one of the greatest moments was just before the new patch hit for TBC in WoW, I think 1.12? Anyway the biggest PVP guild for Alliance decided to ram Orgrimmar after constantly harassing the city outside, as well as the other cities.

I swear to god it was one of the biggest co-ordinated attacks on the city in, well, forever. I'd say there were at least 160-180 Alliance players wanting to do this.. 5 co-ordinated raid groups. They hit the west bridge with maybe 60% of their guys, whilst the 40% rest rushed via the main gate. They had asked for the best Alliance PVE guild at the time to come through the main gate and take out High Overlord Saurfang and the guards whilst the rest pushed on through to Thrall's Chambers.

The shit was laggy as all hell but the entire fight lasted an hour long (every guild was calling for reinforcements to head back to Orgrimmar, people flying in from throughout Azeroth) and came to a point where Thrall's Chambers was entirely packed with people attacking each other and Alliance getting mauled by Thrall & Vol'jin. Very awesome at the time.

However the best one based on nostalgia is going back when I was a mere lvl 30 Undead Mage and they attacked Undercity via the sewers. 20 Horde players standing around in the Throne Room waiting for 100+ Alliance to rush through the corridors and take out Sylvanas was quite an incredible feeling back in the WoW roots of the game.. maybe a 2 months or so after the game was released. Watching Varimathras wipe them all out before they could even take a step up to hit the Banshee Queen was fucking unreal and I'll never forget it.

FLEABttn

Banned
Plague Outbreak - World of Warcraft - September 2005

This was hilarious to see in person. My roomates guild was the one to introduce the plague to Ironforge and running downstairs to witness this as it happened was one of the funniest times I ever had in Warcraft.

Sin

Ok, so this is not a server-wide great moment but it was for me and my Linkshell when I used to play FFXI.

When Chains of Promathia came out it introduced three main Wyrms: Jormungand, Tiamat, and Vrtra.

The latter is an undead Wyrm nested in Ranperre's Tomb and the center of this story. My Linkshell (Guild or whatever you want to call it), Ascendant Sky, were to try our hand at Vrtra. At that time there still wasn't a clear strategy at how to defeat her apart from some info from various Japanese Linkshells which had already confronted her.

The battle itself is hectic, Vrtra's nest is a HUGE square cave infested with her skeleton minions which she summons continuously and are pretty deadly themselves, aggroing anybody with low health or with scent, and can reach overwhelming numbers if not disposed off quickly enough. The strategy itself was to have an alliance taking on Vrtra and another alliance disposing of the summons. Being a Dark Knight I wasn't of much help against the Wyrm which we had Summoners attacking for maximum damage, so I was relegated to the clean-up alliance taking care of the skeletons.

The battle commences, wonky start to say the least which resulted in Vrtra going on a rampage and killing a few people but our tanks soon got it under control, but still, without a 100% winning strategy things can and WILL go badly at one point or another. After several hours of fighting we managed to whittle her HP down to the single digit % but not all was going well as my alliance was struggling to take down all the skeletons she was summoning and the cave ended up looking like a true battlefield. Skeletons EVERYWHERE, people engaging solo because of the confusion, death all around, it was a bloodbath.

In the meantime the alliance fighting Vrtra manage to get her down to 1% and then the unexpected happened, someone fucks up and Vrtra uses the dreaded Wyrm ability Tail Spike and I see tens of people get flung to every corner of the cave, wiping out everybody in the room... APART FROM ME... by the holy grace of Althana's grace the tail spike missed me and I was the only one in there still standing up. I was literally shocked, everybody though it was over, after freaking hours of fighting it was OVER.

Finally after regaining a clear mind after what had just ensued I realized that if i didn't do anything Vrtra would start regenerating and then it would be really over. Thinking about that I buffed with all the abilities at my disposal and I charged forth with my scythe drawn towards Vrtra. One hit and I would be dead, there wasn't much hope in my mind that I could even make a dent on her before I would find myself lying face down with my linkshell mates. I come face to face with the Wyrm, shaking I unleash Guillotine, a four hit DRK weapon skill, thinking that out of four hit at least maybe one would connect. I press my weapon skill macro and swing my scythe at Vrtra with my eyes half closed, expecting to drop dead the next second but I opened my eyes and there I was still standing, Vrtra's head at my feet... the whole Linkshell erupted in a chorus of shouts and laughter over ventrillo never heard such enthusiastic shouting in my entire life. We couldn't believe it, I was shaking. The first US linkshell to take it down by ourselves and I was the one to give her the finishing blow 'solo'.

It was the most epic battle we had participated in with the most epic ending we could have imagined.

It was beautiful. ; ;

Pakman

I may be wrong but I can recall the reaction in the EQ community when the Sleeper was killed (I was playing on RZ at the time when it happened). From what I remember a lot of people were downplaying it because of the timing. I'm pretty sure RZ was one of the last (if not the last) to spawn the Sleeper. By this time new expansions had come out and those who battled the Sleeper were much better equipped and informed (by past battles on other servers) to deal with the Sleeper.

As for AC, I'll completly agree they usually had the best, most spontaneous events of any game I've played. The large events actually affected every single player in that game. Not just the group that completed it. Heck they even had one of the best endings to a beta, where everything broke into chaos. For example, one of the cities got smashed by a meteorite (I think) and it killed everyone there. When you visited the site afterwards, everything was gone with an exception of a huge ass crater.

FFChris

I used to play Anarchy Online, which was a fantastic MMO in its time. I have a couple of memories from it.

The first was when the main and secondary tank died when fighting Ian Warr, the games hardest boss at the time, and a group of 7 or so Engineers (including myself) held the guy for roughly 20 minutes just by constantly respawning out bots and sending them in to hold him. No idea how we managed to do that.

The second, and most embaressing for me, was when the new Shadowlands expansion came out. We finally got to the furthest part of the game, where all the mega bosses were contained. With a bit of planning we got both Omni and Clan (completing sides in AO) to come together to battle one of these bosses. We pulled it, killed it, then I accidentally looted one of the items from his corpse while trying to duplicate it and post it on chat. It was a horrible moment. No one could even get close to using this item, but just the fact that it happened was pretty terrible.

iamblades

FFChris said:
I used to play Anarchy Online, which was a fantastic MMO in its time. I have a couple of memories from it.

The first was when the main and secondary tank died when fighting Ian Warr, the games hardest boss at the time, and a group of 7 or so Engineers (including myself) held the guy for roughly 20 minutes just by constantly respawning out bots and sending them in to hold him. No idea how we managed to do that.

The second, and most embaressing for me, was when the new Shadowlands expansion came out. We finally got to the furthest part of the game, where all the mega bosses were contained. With a bit of planning we got both Omni and Clan (completing sides in AO) to come together to battle one of these bosses. We pulled it, killed it, then I accidentally looted one of the items from his corpse while trying to duplicate it and post it on chat. It was a horrible moment. No one could even get close to using this item, but just the fact that it happened was pretty terrible.

I remember back when you could get more than one instance of camelot going. I think we killed 3 tarasques in one go one night, while fighting off omni and managing to OD the other clan guilds there. Was nice.

I remember our first few attempts on the beast. That was some lolworthy stuff, our tank ran up, got hit triple hit, and fell over. :lol :lol

traveler

Not Wario
All these stories are pretty amazing and great examples of why I play MMOs in the first place. For all the talk about loot, abilities, leveling, etc. as the carrots on a string that fuel player motivation, the real reason I play MMOs is for the incredibly emergent, player driven moments such as the above.

big_z

asherons call was incredible. i had some great times with that game... the end of the beta was what sold me. played the retail for a good 1.5 years.

my friend and i used to lure groups of people to the mountains to do some cliff jumping. we told them we would pay so much money if they could survive the fall. took a good 20 minutes to get to the top of the mountain and once there we would have them all jump at the same time, survivors get paid. of course the contest was rigged as no one can survive a 2000 foot fall straight down and once everyone had jumped we would take a near by easy way down to loot the bodies. we made/got tons of money/items this way....good times.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
When everyone in City of Heroes suddenly lost their powers.

That one time when I killed a bunch of one thing for a quest.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No Leeroy Jenkins mention? Shit, I hate MMOs with a passion and ignore nearly everything related to them, but still even I know what happened with that.

yacobod

Banned
Great Rumbler said:
Funeral Ambush - World of Warcraft - March 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MVOE2ak5w

A player dies in real life, so his clan buddies decide to hold a memorial service for their fallen comrade. Unfortunately, they decide to hold it in PVP territory. A rival clan takes this opportunity to launch an all-out assault, wiping out all of the attendees. Is it funny? Is it sad? Well, it all depends on what kind of person you are, I suppose.

this is my favorite, very funny clip

Gattsu25

Banned
Sullen said:
Being involved in the funeral crash (my guild at the time :lol) was perhaps my most awesome WoW moment.

A short time later I quit WoW cause of all the random douchebags that would constantly harass us about it anytime I was on WoW. In fact, I switched servers over it. :lol It was worth it though.
I want to shake your hand.

traveler

Not Wario
djtiesto said:
No Leeroy Jenkins mention? Shit, I hate MMOs with a passion and ignore nearly everything related to them, but still even I know what happened with that.

Leeroy Jenkins is more of an event in pop culture history than MMO histroy, as it didn't actually occur naturally. I think anyone who plays WoW can easily recognize the whole thing is staged. I get the impression this thread is more for the incredible events that emerged out of the actual gameplay.

Here's one I thought was awesome, posted without permission.

Planetside

It is rare indeed that you find what you might call a bespoke game - a game so precisely matching your wants in its design, it may as well have been designed by you. There are many people on the board that talk about BF2, Tribes, J-Ops and other large scale FPSs - but I tell you, all of these games pale in scale to the epic majesty that was Planetside in its heyday.

Three sides, the Vanu, the NC and the Terrans fight over a dozen or so continents on one planet - and on each continent are large base structures, with turrets, medical and armoury facilities and defensive walls. These bases are linked together in the same manner as Unreal Tournament 2004's Onslaught mode, so you have to capture bases that are connected together by a web of lines on the map - usually meaning that the next base you have to go for is one of two or three.

Each continent is huge, perhaps taking more than an hour of real time to run across - several minutes even in the fastest vehicle. There are deserts, swamps, temperate climates, and frozen wastelands, with bases set in subtle natural features such as basins or on hilltops to increase defendability.

Each base takes a minimum of 30 minutes to capture, though in reality, it takes much longer. The net result of all of this is a 3-front war, that is fought 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, progressing back and forth over each of the huge continents, ebbing and flowing like the tides - a dynamic conflict, changing every moment but always the same epic warfare.

Each of these fronts will have a pitched battle where two sides meet - usually involving upwards of a thousand players.

I remember one night I was in a squad - I was actually the squad leader, a role I almost always took as I fit into it well. We were flying towards an enemy base after we'd just secured one, so the enemies had been pushed back to a base across the mountains, many kilometres away from our prior battle. One of the players had taken a fast aircraft, and before he was shot down, he had observed most of the players were spawning at a specific base. The Command Rank players told us they would send a covert team to the less populous base to try and surprise them, and we would turn our attention to the busy one.

I told my squad we would drop at the base's rear emergency door, amongst some trees. Upon doing that, we were to immediately run into the cubby hole in the base wall, and have our hacker try to force open the door from the outside. I told my squad specifically not to fire unless fired upon, and got an RGR from everyone.

We dropped from a height of around 500m, and landed in an area around 10x10m as we had practiced previously. We all immediately ran into cover whilst the hacker did his work. As soon as he finished, before we went through the door, there was a pause. We could hear the enemies in the base courtyard, preparing their vehicles for a counter-assault (everything was a big logistical operation in Planetside, considering the distances involved in the game). I then said to my squad,

"Do you hear that?", to which they replied,
"What?" - and I said
"That's the sound of about 500 people that have no idea we're less than 50 metres away from them."

On that we advanced into the base; I told my squad that we were not to fire unless fired upon again. We actually had an enemy player run right past us without noticing (the idea of a dozen NC inside a populated terran base was somewhat incredulous after all).

We proceeded to the base's control console, that if hacked, would start the base capture timer - and set off the alarms. Two-thirds of the way, an enemy player saw us and we blew him away - at which point, I reminded the team that when he spawned in 90 seconds, the secret would be up and a world of pain would come storming down from the surface. We abandoned all idea of stealth and cut a swathe through the basement level, breaching each room with grenades then piling in. We then got to the CC, hacked it, and took up defensive positions.

At this point, the lead command rank player (who was in my outfit/guild) sent me a PM, basically consisting of the words "way", "no" and "fucking", "bastard", "you" and "magnificent" - though not in that order.

We didn't manage the whole 30 mins before being relieved (logistics again), which I would regret - except that we held out for around 15 minutes. We held against the entire terran empire - 12 of us - for 15 minutes, using team tactics and creating choke points out of the doors. Eventually they got in gear and used grenade launchers to lob explosives around corners, and we got flushed out - but it gave time for the 2nd wave of NC to arrive and very swiftly crush the terrans that were still concentrating on the enemies inside their base rather than outside.

Best evening of gaming ever. Like the best storyline sections of any FPS you have ever played - but we did it as players, against players, with a storyline consisting of strategy, suspense, humour, sacrifice, honour and mettle, elevated above other FPS storylines because we forged it through teamwork.

Please God, SOE, make a fucking sequel.

Link

Flakster99

This was extremely cool back in the day.

muskavenger.jpg

"The Fiery Avenger"

The afternoon sky above Freeport suddenly erupted, as the once calm skies gave way
to a horrific spectacle.

There above, the heavens burned with magnificent fury, transforming the peaceful blue skies to a hellish crimson flame! The citizens of Freeport hustled about in a panicked frenzy, dashing for cover from the unknown force was causing the phenomenon.

Screams could be heard that Cazic Thule had emerged from his abysmal home to wreak havoc upon Norrath, while others believed they were witnessing the true hatred of Innoruk. Mothers grabbed their children, men drew forth their swords, and wizards began chanting spells of protection, in preparation of whatever horror was to come.

Then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the fires above vanished.
The faint smell of sulfur remained in the air, and every being in Norrath lay still from shock, wondering what had caused the sudden blaze.

Minutes went by and not a soul spoke nor moved. Perhaps afraid, perhaps muted by sheer shock, they simply looked about, anticipating another eruption.

"LOOK!" shouted a man, breaking the silence.

He pointed in the direction of the Temple of Marr, where a thin column of pure white light could be seen stretching from as high as the eye could see! The light remained for several moments, and then quickly vanished with a crackling boom.

It was then, he arrived.

A brilliant blue figure stood before the Temple of Marr at the very spot where the light had touched the ground. His face glowed with a glorious aura, and his armor resounded with magical power.

And there, in his hand, was a sword whose flames dwarfed even that of the Soulfire.

"It is the paladin Musk!" yelled someone in the crowd.

"He has returned from the Plane of Sky!" hailed another.

Indeed, Musk had returned.
Back from his long quest in the heavens, Musk had returned to his home in Freeport.
This, however, was no ordinary homecoming. He returned with the sword whispered in the legends of old. Many believed it did not exist. Many cursed it a hoax.
But alas, Musk had returned to Norrath to prove them all wrong.

Musk had returned with the Fiery Avenger.

"ALL HAIL MUSK! CHAMPION OF THE PLANES!"
"ALL HAIL MUSK! GUARDIAN OF MEN!"
"HAIL MUSK! CHAMPION OF THE FIERY AVENGER!"

The crowd erupted in a frenzy of cheers and fists raised high in the air! Women cheered, holding their children above their head so they could glimpse the glorious paladin. Guards sheathed their swords and hailed Norrath's new champion.

And fellow paladins broke down in tears, filled with emotion and pride,
for at last one of their brothers had returned grace to their name.

Be it known, that on this day, Musk had returned to the mortal men in Norrath,
not as an equal, but as a
Legend.

He is the greatest paladin to grace the lands of Norrath.

He is Musk, Champion of the Heavens.

Musk, the first champion of the Fiery Avenger is a proud member of the Celestial Crusade,
and lives on the Tunare server

Wes

venison crêpe
That planetside story brought back some awesome memories. That game had so many flaws, but was still incredibly fun.

esbern

how about when they raped star wars galaxies? i've never seen so many people leave a videogamme.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mamesj said:
This is what I came in here to post :lol

I also recall reading a really epic story about some guy who scammed the hell out of some players, then gave all the money to a random noob. I forget all the details, but maybe that jogs someone's memory?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8491096&postcount=67

EVE Online's Great Scam

Just read about the EVE Great Heist in the OP (a separate incident) and that sounds FUCK AWESOME

There were a lot of cool Everquest moments, like getting world first/second (depending on who you ask!) kill on Avatar of War in along with Tigole's guild Legacy of Steel right before the Luclin expansion came out, or the first Vox kill where Aradune showed up and had to give out loot because she wasn't actually itemized yet.

That said, I really enjoyed the build-up to Ahn'Qiraj. The battle event was cool, but just to trigger it, the entire server had to farm goods for weeks and turn them in for the war effort. Tedious and stupid? Sure, but it brought servers together. Our guild ran a promo where we raffled off epics to contributors. My mailbox was so full for about a month that I'd have to log on every day and just open/forward mail for 2 hours, sometimes more. But it was fun, and the fact that Blizzard posted updated daily numbers for every server's progress was really cool to see and compete against.

Player to player interaction is simultaneously the worst and best thing about online gaming.

Reading all this stuff is really nice.

Mamesj said:
I also recall reading a really epic story about some guy who scammed the hell out of some players, then gave all the money to a random noob. I forget all the details, but maybe that jogs someone's memory?

That's the Great Scam, which A Black Falcon linked to upthread. EVE Online consistently generates better stories than just about any other game. :lol

Top Bottom