• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grilling GAF, show us your meat!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
elA1qRf.jpg

Mmmm, shutterstock
With Labor Day around the corner for my fellow Muricans, surely there are some amateur pitmasters already prepping their Monday Meat. As a new homeowner, I finally took the plunge in buying a grill I can call my own: an Akorn Kamado charcoal grill, which had a nice sale this weekend. Unfortunately, my grill won't arrive for another few days, so I'll have to make do with some dogs on a George tomorrow. 🤷‍♀️

But I want to at least pretend I'm part of the club, so let's talk hot and sweaty meat. What sort of grill do you have? What are your specialties? Best sauces and rubs? Got any tips for a charcoal newbie like me? And of course, who's got the best apron? I'm still looking to get this Minute Hourdesign I threw together made.

QBjJVC9.png

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So I use a Weber Master Touch Kettle for all of my smoking.

Luckily a mom and pop appliance store near me (of all places!) carries a large assortment of rubs, brines, sauces, etc.

My favorite rubs so far have been Killer Hogs rub, Cosmo Q’s Dirty Bird, and a Traeger Cherry Rub that’s exclusive to Ace Hardware.

Sauces I like to make my own Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce, a standard BBQ sauce, a Caolina Vinegar Sauce, as well as a Carolina Mustard sauce.

For Store bought I haven’t tried too many. I generally stick to Stubbs because there’s no corn syrup in it.

Tomorrow I’m doing ribs to bring over to a family gathering. Also doing a corn and avocado salad that’s just nuts. Probably my favorite BBQ side dish.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
SmokedMeat SmokedMeat How did you cook those chicken legs? They look delicious good god

I use two baskets of charcoal or a Vortex in the center of my kettle, and toss some wood chips in. So I’m just letting it get super hot. Vents are fully open.

I cook the chicken lollipops around the outside, indirect for around 50 minutes total.

I’ll turn them at 20 and 40 minutes, and then dunk them in whatever sauce I’m using for the last 10.

Edit: Prepping the chicken, you’ll want to cut around the top of where the meaty part of the drum is starting, and pull the skin, tendons, etc clean off the bone. I also take a knife and trim the top of the drumstick so they stand straight up while cooking.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I use two baskets of charcoal or a Vortex in the center of my kettle, and toss some wood chips in. So I’m just letting it get super hot. Vents are fully open.

I cook the chicken lollipops around the outside, indirect for around 50 minutes total.

I’ll turn them at 20 and 40 minutes, and then dunk them in whatever sauce I’m using for the last 10.

Edit: Prepping the chicken, you’ll want to cut around the top of where the meaty part of the drum is starting, and pull the skin, tendons, etc clean off the bone. I also take a knife and trim the top of the drumstick so they stand straight up while cooking.
Do you season the chicken beforehand at all? And what sort of temps are you hitting?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Missed this thread somehow. Smoking is the primary way I cook meat, and I use a Kamado Joe ceramic grill to do it. It’s almost 9 years old and still going strong. There’s a learning curve since if you overshoot temperature, you’re stuck with it for awhile due to that ceramic holding temp for extensive amounts of time. But it’s a two-sided coin, so that also means you can use a lot less charcoal to keep it low-and-slow. Saves a lot of money over time.

I can literally do an 18-hour smoke for two pork shoulders cooking simultaneously and never once have to deal with putting in more coals. I usually start around 5 PM, let the coals get to 225 F, and throw the meat on by 6 PM. From there, I’m doing consistent monitoring usually at intervals of 15 minutes for the first two hours and then that gradually stretching out to 30-60 minutes depending on the amount of needed adjustments to airflow. The temperature has never failed to stabilize by 11 PM which lets me go to sleep whenever while the kamado keeps doing its thing. When I wake up, I immediately check to see if everything’s good, and by noon it’s pulled pork time.

Posted these before, but here‘s a set of photos:

ZyJ9JAJ.jpg
zM2U53Y.jpg
oADPzOP.jpg

I use mustard to bind pork rub to the meat, since it’s cheap. The rubs I use vary. I’m constantly trying new stuff, and if I don’t like a rub, I’ll usually mix it with other seasonings to make it better.

The leftover bones always get saved for later when it’s time to make homemade stock for soups, always has a nice smoky flavor. I buy noodles from the local Asian market so I can have ramen that doesn’t taste cheap.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Do you season the chicken beforehand at all? And what sort of temps are you hitting?

Yeah, I’ll put rub on all of them. I’ll also stick them in the fridge for a few hours to dry them (same with wings).

I don’t measure temps, when doing these or wings. But knowing my kettle I’m easily in the 400s with a full chimney of coals.

Dacvak

Oh baby, look what just showed up! Gonna take me a couple days before I can assemble and season it, but I am soooo excited.
uXxo4Jw.jpg

Dacvak

Over the last two weeks, I've smoked three pork butts/shoulders for some pulled pork. Had them at a pretty locked 225 for 13 hours (give or take). Used applewood pieces for flavor.
This is not only the first time I've ever smoked meat, it's the first time I've ever used a charcoal grill. I was wildly surprised at how good my first try turned out (first picture below). I gave a bunch to my coworkers and neighbors, and it got pretty awesome reviews! I'm super proud of myself at how good it turned out. Can't wait to try other meats!

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat Notice me senpai

iYSVM8t.png

fOjKoC1.png

oHT6gOa.png

ZL285wr.png

HGehZFD.png

sZ5AkNm.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Over the last two weeks, I've smoked three pork butts/shoulders for some pulled pork. Had them at a pretty locked 225 for 13 hours (give or take). Used applewood pieces for flavor.
This is not only the first time I've ever smoked meat, it's the first time I've ever used a charcoal grill. I was wildly surprised at how good my first try turned out (first picture below). I gave a bunch to my coworkers and neighbors, and it got pretty awesome reviews! I'm super proud of myself at how good it turned out. Can't wait to try other meats!

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat Notice me senpai

iYSVM8t.png

fOjKoC1.png

oHT6gOa.png

ZL285wr.png

HGehZFD.png

sZ5AkNm.png

Looks beautiful! Great job!

Dacvak

Liljagare Liljagare SmokedMeat SmokedMeat
Okay, so I have a question. When I bought my pork shoulder yesterday, it still had the skin attached. (I got it from a standard grocery store, not a butcher unfortunately.) I assumed that I should remove the skin before smoking it, so that's what I did. Of course, since I'm not a butcher, I ended up taking a good bit of fat off of it, unintentionally.

Should I have just smoked it with the skin on? What's the right move in my case?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Liljagare Liljagare SmokedMeat SmokedMeat
Okay, so I have a question. When I bought my pork shoulder yesterday, it still had the skin attached. (I got it from a standard grocery store, not a butcher unfortunately.) I assumed that I should remove the skin before smoking it, so that's what I did. Of course, since I'm not a butcher, I ended up taking a good bit of fat off of it, unintentionally.

Should I have just smoked it with the skin on? What's the right move in my case?

I’ve never had one with the skin on, it’s always been off. Definitely remove it.

Liljagare

I’ve never had one with the skin on, it’s always been off. Definitely remove it.

I always just score it down to flesh and leave it on. The meat is perfectly smoked each time, you get the smoke ring in it, and,smoked cracklings is delish.

Dacvak Dacvak , just fool around with different ways of doing it, you'll find they way you like to do it that way, either way, it's hard to make it not totally delicious, unless you burn the meat to a crisp, or have a disgusting spice blend! Pork is a very forgiving meat imho. Leaving the rind on makes it selfbaste too.. I just run it lower and slower.

Dacvak

I always just score it down to flesh and leave it on. The meat is perfectly smoked each time, you get the smoke ring in it, and,smoked cracklings is delish.

Dacvak Dacvak , just fool around with different ways of doing it, you'll find they way you like to do it that way, either way, it's hard to make it not totally delicious, unless you burn the meat to a crisp, or have a disgusting spice blend! Pork is a very forgiving meat imho. Leaving the rind on makes it selfbaste too.. I just run it lower and slower.
Ah smart. I didn't even think about scoring it. I think I'll give that a try next time.

I want to eventually graduate to a different meat, but these cheap pork butts have been fun to practice on. I'd love to try brisket, but it's sooooo damn expensive, and I'm afraid of screwing it up. I think I'll give chicken a try next. I wanna make those chicken lollipops SmokedMeat SmokedMeat posted a while back.

Meicyn

Gold Member
If you’re in the US, look for a decent food service store. I go to Gordon Food Service in my area. Take advantage of wholesale prices, you can stretch your money far.

Q7nLirw.jpg
iDaEjoL.jpg

I don’t have a picture of it, but you can get a 40 pound case of chicken leg quarters for 57 cents per pound. It’s stupid cheap.

Dacvak

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat Send me your energy. I’m grilling my first steaks. D:

Dacvak

Hey SmokedMeat SmokedMeat , I’m smoking ribs for the first time in my Egg. Can I just raw dawg them for 4-6 hours at 225, or should I wrap them in foil at some point?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Hey SmokedMeat SmokedMeat , I’m smoking ribs for the first time in my Egg. Can I just raw dawg them for 4-6 hours at 225, or should I wrap them in foil at some point?
Not him, but wrap at 155ish. Unwrap at around 185. Pull them to eat at 195. First hours are critical to getting maximum smoke flavor into the meat. Wrapping helps push through the cooking stall that happens around 155, and will keep more moisture in the meat. The final unwrap is important so you can dry the exterior for the final hour and brush on sauce for caramelization if desired.

Also, recommend you use peach butcher paper over aluminum foil. Foil is nonporous and will inhibit any additional smoke from going into the meat, nor any excess moisture from escaping, thereby turning it into a steam environment within the foil. Arguably, you are defeating the point of the smoker and may as well finish in the oven where it is easier to control temps. Still great results in either case, but the paper is better imo.

Unwrapped ribs are still delicious, just drier.

Dacvak

Not him, but wrap at 155ish. Unwrap at around 185. Pull them to eat at 195. First hours are critical to getting maximum smoke flavor into the meat. Wrapping helps push through the cooking stall that happens around 155, and will keep more moisture in the meat. The final unwrap is important so you can dry the exterior for the final hour and brush on sauce for caramelization if desired.

Also, recommend you use peach butcher paper over aluminum foil. Foil is nonporous and will inhibit any additional smoke from going into the meat, nor any excess moisture from escaping, thereby turning it into a steam environment within the foil. Arguably, you are defeating the point of the smoker and may as well finish in the oven where it is easier to control temps. Still great results in either case, but the paper is better imo.

Unwrapped ribs are still delicious, just drier.
Ugh. I’m a bit frustrated. I’ve got a dinner date I need to head to right now, so I don’t have access to my kamado, but my girlfriend already told her coworkers she’d have pulled pork for her potluck tomorrow.

Anyway, my kamado is at 265, despite my last ditch efforts to get it to 225. I’ve got a live thermometer reading (via WiFi) but I won’t be able to change anything until 5 hours from now. I’ve got a pork butt and ribs smoking right now, but I’m terrified I’m going to overcook them. (The ribs aren’t a big deal, but the pork butt is for her coworkers tomorrow.)

I hope it stabilizes while I’m gone. I can’t do anything but prey at this point lol. We’ll see how it goes.

Also, I’ve never heard of peach paper. I’ll have to check that out. I’m still very new to grilling, and my consecutive successes mean I’m due for a failure. Ah well.

Liljagare

Ugh. I’m a bit frustrated. I’ve got a dinner date I need to head to right now, so I don’t have access to my kamado, but my girlfriend already told her coworkers she’d have pulled pork for her potluck tomorrow.

Anyway, my kamado is at 265, despite my last ditch efforts to get it to 225. I’ve got a live thermometer reading (via WiFi) but I won’t be able to change anything until 5 hours from now. I’ve got a pork butt and ribs smoking right now, but I’m terrified I’m going to overcook them. (The ribs aren’t a big deal, but the pork butt is for her coworkers tomorrow.)

I hope it stabilizes while I’m gone. I can’t do anything but prey at this point lol. We’ll see how it goes.

Also, I’ve never heard of peach paper. I’ll have to check that out. I’m still very new to grilling, and my consecutive successes mean I’m due for a failure. Ah well.

Feels like Kamados are overrated, just get a double chamber grill instead.

A proper choo-choo is very easy to control.

Fe6kpyd.jpg

Double bonus, you can use it as a hot smoker or cold smoker, also for direct grilling. Never will understand the Kamado.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I wrap after 3hrs.

Sometimes I’ll add Carolina Vinegar Sauce when wrapping, and sometimes Brown Sugar, 3 spoons of Margarine, and Honey.
I’ll go wrapped for one hour.

Last I’ll unwrap and sauce for 30 minutes.

I’ll run between 225 and 250

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

How large is the pork butt? You’re probably fine for five hours, as it’s a big piece of meat.

Once wrapped I take mine to 208 or 212 internal. I want it coming apart in my hands. No claws.

Last edited:

Dacvak

How large is the pork butt? You’re probably fine for five hours, as it’s a big piece of meat.

Once wrapped I take mine to 208 or 212 internal. I want it coming apart in my hands. No claws.
When I got back home after 4 hours, my grill was at exactly 225, so I think I’m probably okay. (Not sure how long it was at 260 for, but probably not too long.)

I’ve got the ribs and the butt on the grill now, and I wrapped the ribs as soon as I got home 45 min ago. So I’m gonna keep those on for another half hour, then finish them off without the foil for a total of 6 hours.

At that point, I’ll wrap the pork butt and smoke it for another 6 hour until tomorrow morning. I should be okay… We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. 😅

Dacvak

G8HJDmS.jpg

So far so good on the ribs. The pork butt is still going strong.

I don’t know why the fuck I’m making midnight ribs, but whatever. It makes me feel young lol.

Last edited:

Dacvak

SpiceRacz SpiceRacz Meicyn Meicyn Liljagare Liljagare Doing anything special for Thanksgiving, assuming y’all live in the US. (And if not, it’s still a perfectly good weekend to grill!)

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat How’s the deep fry prep going?

SpiceRacz

In-laws are hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I'm just bringing a ham. Nothing special. We usually host and my wife does a Puerto Rican style turkey. It's seasoned like pernil (pork shoulder), if you're familiar at all. Tastes amazing.

I did grab a turkey while they're on sale though. I'm gonna try making one spatchcocked in the smoker at some point. Sounds like it provides a more even cook and in less time. If anyone has any recommendations for poultry rubs, let me know.

Cheers!

Dacvak

Chicken Lollipops with my Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce

J8Ahcbw.jpg
SmokedMeat SmokedMeat I was gonna try and make these today, but I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing. I tried cutting to the bone like you did (which is so much more laborious than I expected), but how did you cut the bottom to keep them standing up straight? I don’t really have good meat-cutting tools yet, and definitely nothing that cuts through bone. I’m currently using a cheap filet knife to trim these.

This might be above my current skill level.

gn8fpWn.jpg

Also, what do I do about this little bone duder here? It’s jabby and I feel like I’m doing something wrong lol.
q57wbLr.jpg

Last edited:

Dacvak

RW1BjAW.jpg

On the plus side, the smoked ny strip beef loin came out okay. I left it in a little too long, but it’s more juicy and tender than I expected.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
SmokedMeat SmokedMeat I was gonna try and make these today, but I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing. I tried cutting to the bone like you did (which is so much more laborious than I expected), but how did you cut the bottom to keep them standing up straight? I don’t really have good meat-cutting tools yet, and definitely nothing that cuts through bone. I’m currently using a cheap filet knife to trim these.

This might be above my current skill level.

gn8fpWn.jpg

Also, what do I do about this little bone duder here? It’s jabby and I feel like I’m doing something wrong lol.
q57wbLr.jpg

You can use kitchen shears to trim that area. I use a very sharp boning knife for cutting through the little bit of bone at the meat end, to get them flat.

Check out Mercer branded knives. They’re used in culinary schools, and are quality carbon steel knives. They’re also way cheaper than the big brands.

Here’s a helpful video to get an idea of the process.

Last edited:
No pics, but smoking some fish tomorrow for a trout and avacado salad. Have done it in the past, and is always a hit at apps time. Simple, light, and different.

Dacvak

You can use kitchen shears to trim that area. I use a very sharp boning knife for cutting through the little bit of bone at the meat end, to get them flat.

Check out Mercer branded knives. They’re used in culinary schools, and are quality carbon steel knives. They’re also way cheaper than the big brands.

Here’s a helpful video to get an idea of the process.

uGprjjX.jpg

Not the nicest looking, but they sure as heck tasted good! Incredible texture too. I don’t think I’ll ever cook drumsticks another way again.

Side question, should I remove the fat cap on beef loin prior to smoking? I don’t have much experience with beef. If not, should I smoke it with the fat cap on top?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
uGprjjX.jpg

Not the nicest looking, but they sure as heck tasted good! Incredible texture too. I don’t think I’ll ever cook drumsticks another way again.

Side question, should I remove the fat cap on beef loin prior to smoking? I don’t have much experience with beef. If not, should I smoke it with the fat cap on top?

If they tasted good that’s all that matters! You can improve the looks in time as you get more knives and utensils.

I haven’t done a beef loin per se, but I know beef can be very fatty. If you’ve got an excessive amount (more than your typical pork butt fat cap), I’d shave a little off. But you don’t want to go crazy and trim down to the meat. Fat side down on the grill grates.

Yall make me jealous. All i got are two custom smokers. One is a food grade drum smoker and another is a six foot long thing i call the coffin next to a small traeger and a webber for grilled veggies. I want one of those huge traegers or an egg smoker.

Top Bottom