• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIS |OT| Her Journey

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Gris is a beautiful, exceptionally well-made game that, in my opinion, is well worth the cost even after accounting for its short length. The gameplay is simple and presents little challenge*, but it's not a "walking simulator." It's a platformer with well-designed stages that only get prettier as the game progresses. Its puzzles require some thought, but if you pay attention to your surroundings, you won't get stuck on any of them. The controls are almost perfect, something that surprised me given the high quality of the animations.

It does have some flaws, though. As the IGN review pointed out, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between platforms you can stand on and objects in the background, but I found this only rarely to be the case. And, although the game is basically linear throughout, after you gain the ability
to sing again
, the game temporarily becomes a little bit more open, a transition that can lead to confusion about where to go next. But even at that point, so long as you just go in any one available direction and pay attention to your surroundings, you won't have any trouble figuring out what you need to do.

I've played through the game twice now and, because I enjoyed it so much, I will probably play through it again and again in the future. I'll also probably buy the soundtrack at some point, which you can listen to for free on Spotify.

Unless you're completely turned off by the short length of the game, I would highly recommend buying Gris.

*There are optional collectibles that require a bit more platforming skill or solving somewhat-more-complicated puzzles, but they're still fairly easy in comparison with other games.

No platforming and no puzzles, let alone clever ones.

This is a lie.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

According to the team, the game has already passed the profitability threshold (meaning it made back the initial funding and is now generating additional money).

And it has only been a bit over a week since it launched.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
According to the team, the game has already passed the profitability threshold (meaning it made back the initial funding and is now generating additional money).

And it has only been a bit over a week since it launched.
Well deserved, the game was absolutely beautiful.

meirl

Banned
Beautiful game. This is way better than 99% of all those AAA games.

Also, salty ps4 fans are salty. Lol

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
Jim Sterling liked it.

I was going to pick it up but it's not on PS4, hopefully they might port later.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I personally want to see this game get released in as many system as possible so it could sell even more and more should able play this beautiful game.

GamesAreFun

Banned
I personally want to see this game get released in as many system as possible so it could sell even more and more should able play this beautiful game.
Amen. Seems their decision to focus on Switch makes sense from a business perspective, I've read several times that "arty" indie titles sell best on the eShop.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got finished playing this on the Switch, what a lovely game.

Danjin44

Here is some video about GRIS's animation but it has spoilers, watch it on your own risk.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tumle

Why are you flooding the front page with old threads?

I appreciate that you want to share the news about a game.. but when looking at the front page right now and almost all the threads are a year old or over, really gets annoying..

Last edited:

ROMhack

I don't have any issue with it. Beats starting a new thread.

Would appreciate it if it weren't in Spanish though (Gris is coming to iOS basically).

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Its a nice game. But i wouldn't pay more than 10 for this. It's just too short and has 0 replayability.

Its a beautiful game though, if you're willing to pay abit more for the beauty, thats up to you :)

ROMhack

Was it not on PS4? Anyway good game, beat it a few weeks ago.

If you like 2D puzzle platformers like LIMBO than it's well worth a go,

Last edited:

ROMhack

As soon as I saw the notification I knew it'd be an I B I Z A P O C H O L O post.

$5 is a steal btw. I wish I enjoyed playing games on phones as I'd get so much bang for me bang.

Last edited:
Top Bottom