• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GSD] UK sales January 2024 - PS5#1 (-17%), XBS#2 (-7%), NSW#3 (-31%) | EA FC 24#1, TLOU2R#2, CODMW3#3

2.47 million games were sold in January in the UK, a drop of 3% over the same period last year.

This is based on GSD data, which tracks all physical game sales, and all digital sales from most major third-party publishers.

The sales were led by EA Sports FC 24. EA's previous football game, FIFA 23, also led the charts in January 2023, and EA Sports FC 24 actually had a better January than its predecessor.
Last year there wasn't a huge number of new releases (Dead Space Remake was the highest charting new release at No.4). However, there were a couple of new titles this time around.

The highest charting new release, at No.2, was The Last of Us Part 2: Remastered, which did very well and benefitted from a £10 upgrade offer (owners of the PS4 version could get the PS5 version for £10).

For its opening two weeks on the market, the game sold two and a half times more copies than The Last of Us Part 1, which launched in September 2022.
Also new in the charts is Tekken 8, which makes No.7. The data doesn't stretch back far enough to compare it to Tekken 7, but compared to last year's Street Fighter 6, Tekken's launch is over a third higher. Interestingly, the vast majority of Street Fighter 6's sales came via digital channels, whereas Tekken 8 still has a strong audience that prefers physical (at least by comparison).

Outside of the Top Ten, Ubisoft's Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is at No.15, and Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth comes in at No.23.
Console sales fall due to tough year-on-year comparisons

Nearly 111,000 games consoles were sold in January in the UK, GfK panel data shows.

This is a drop of 19% over last January, with all three main console platforms posting a drop in sales year-on-year. Xbox Series S and X sales were down 7%, PS5 sales were down 17% while Nintendo Switch sales were down 31%.
This year was always going to look tough in terms of comparisons, because last year saw PS5 and Xbox Series S and X become fully available in stores after a period of shortages, which caused a spike in numbers throughout last year. Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch is now approaching its seventh anniversary, which is around the time we'd typically hear about a replacement...

In terms of accessories, 687,000 peripherals and add-on products were sold in January (GfK data), which is a rise of nearly 10% over the year before. The market was led by controllers for both Xbox and PlayStation consoles, potentially due to the number of hardware sold over the Christmas period.

UK GSD January 2024 Top 10 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2The Last of Us Part 2: Remastered (Sony)
3Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
4Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
7Tekken 8 (Bandai Namco)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
10Spider-Man 2 (Sony)

Last edited:
For its opening two weeks on the market, the game sold two and a half times more copies than The Last of Us Part 1, which launched in September 2022.

Holy shit at TLOU2! #2 counting both physical and digital FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH is much better than i expected considering the game debuted at #3 on the physical charts.

Incredible results!
GAF about to eat some crow as usual.

Another great result for another remaster that no one asked for!

H-I-M

The PS5 had record months on record months last year, so makes sense that sales will decline this year.
But the Xbox on the other hand was already critically low last year and now it's still heavily declining ?

britney-awkward.gif

Ogbert

Holy shit at TLOU2! #2 counting both physical and digital FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH is much better than i expected considering the game debuted at #3 on the physical charts.

Incredible results!

Is it numbers sold, or revenue?

Because the upgrade is only a tenner.

Incredible results!

Low price was the main reason it sold so well. By revenue it probably did similar numbers than Part 1.

Fake

And people wondered why there's TLOU remaster every gen, just look at the sales.

Is already at 16° place in week sales LOL.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean...a 7% drop when sales were already terrible last year. How is that good? Sales are still down YOY even with a viral hit like Palworld.

Were sales terrible last January? It’s not like he’s hyping sales for the Series consoles anyway.

Palworld showed up in the last third of the month, and seems more of a hit for GamePass than actual console sales.

Last edited:

H-I-M

7% YoY is ‘heavily declining’ now? 🤣

When you're neck and neck with the Switch's last year before its successor, any further decline is alarming.
When you're still declining after a year of heavy declines all around the world, yes any further decline is alarming.
When you're declining while still being outsold almost 2:1 by your direct competitor, in your second best market, any further decline is alarming.

giphy.gif

StereoVsn

Is it me or you guys think that is great news?
Most of us are just appalled at Xbox leadership incompetence, those released emails about their plans (career defining moment and so on), and a lot of folks are also not happy about the ABK deal.

So it’s more schadenfreude sort of a feeling.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gaming Desktops are up 20% in the UK in January and they had a stonking Jan this time last year.

I don't know what you want to do with that information... :) but thought it might be interesting to some.

Last edited:
Gaming Desktops are up 20% in the UK in January and they had a stonking Jan this time last year.

I don't know what you want to do with that information... :) but thought it might be interesting to some.
I'm not doing anything with that information because without context, saying PS5 sold less 17% than last year means very little.
The abnormal numbers were the ones from last year since it was inflated due to years of having no stock, not the numbers from this year.

Switch is declining after years of record breaking numbers and is approaching PS2 sales to possibly become the best selling console in history. Nothing weird here.

Series consoles is just a flop at this point though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's the middle of March. Where's the February 2024 full month UK numbers? Did Chris fall asleep?

jm89

It's the middle of March. Where's the February 2024 full month UK numbers? Did Chris fall asleep?
I posted 2 weeks ago. Made a mistake on the year in the title though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom