• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 Michael actor attacks AI company for using his voice in a chatbot of his character

Draugoth

Gold Member
30-30885-1440x900.jpg

The actor who played Michael in Grand Theft Auto 5 has called out a company that made an AI audio chatbot of his character.

As reported by PCGamesN, Ned Luke – who provided both his voice and likeness for the protagonist Michael – posted a message on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday criticising Web3 company WAME.

WAME was offering an AI chatbot which pretended to be the Michael character, but rather than just a text chat this was a voice chat, using an AI interpretation of Luke’s voice to essentially have him say anything.

“This is fucking bullshit @wamexyz,” Luke said. “Absolutely nothing cool about ripping people off with some lame computer estimation of my voice. Don’t waste your time on this garbage.”

Music producer Marilou Burnel replied to Luke, saying: “Creative people make remarkable things with AI, and the opposite is also true.”

“Not using my voice they don’t,” Luke retorted.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not sure how they're using, but if they're profiting on it, it's bullshit and the actor deserves the money

This AI shit is being used very poorly on entertainment

Something needs to be done about this. These chat bots are all over twitch and a bunch of other large sites. yes the chat bot makers make money off of this....

Last edited:

Dorago

I remember when Transformers 2 was about to come out and you could put peoples numbers into a website and Optimus Prime would call them and remind them to go see the movie. Was Optimus pissed about that?

Hip Hop

Abusing AI by scummy thieves and corporate greed will only get worse in the coming years. I'm not too fond of AI taking over many aspects of our daily lives. Chat CPT, AI voice, AI art.....bad times are ahead for us.
this is getting way worse, and it'a just getting started. Feels like a Free For All is coming with no laws to fight against it right now.

Zannegan

I remember when Transformers 2 was about to come out and you could put peoples numbers into a website and Optimus Prime would call them and remind them to go see the movie. Was Optimus pissed about that?
Given that Peter Cullen would have been paid for the rights to his voice? I'd say, no.

Skifi28

How come we still don’t have legislation protecting people like this actor? What’s going on with regulators?
Probably because the people responsible are tech illiterate. Going by the internet, you can expect proper legislation in a decade or so.

Top Bottom