• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA VI on Switch 2?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
What if the game wasn't announced on the switch 2 because it hasn't been revealed yet?
If it runs on the Xbox Series S I don't see a problem running on the switch with DLSS at 720p

On top of that, another report states that Nintendo showcased The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo running on the targeted specifications of the Switch 2 using Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology. The graphics were said to be on par with the PS5 and the Xbox Series X. It should be noted that it is unlikely that the new Switch will have the same raw power as the much bigger and beefier PS5 and Xbox Series X

Last edited:

Hudo

Because Rockstar saw that retards double or even triple dipped with GTA 5 and they want to repeat that "strategy". Simple as.
2026/2027 will see a PC and Switch 2 version. 2028, when the new consoles come around, we'll see a "definitive edition".

Get your wallets ready, motherfuckers.

Last edited:

Senua

Because Rockstar saw that retards double or even triple dipped with GTA 5 and they want to repeat that "strategy". Simple as.
2026/2027 will see a PC and Switch 2 version. 2028, when the new consoles come around, we'll see a "definitive edition".

Get your wallets ready, motherfuckers.
Party Running GIF by TRT

Your logic doesn't make sense considering it wasn't announced for PC either

If anything, OP's logic is even more sound because Rockstar doesn't release their GTA/RDR sequels 2 years before their console release.

Don't be surprised if it launches simultaneously on PS5 / Series X|S / NSW2.

I mean.. GTA V can obviously run on the current Switch, yet they didn’t put it there. So I kind of doubt they’ll bother with releasing GTA VI on Switch 2.

The RDR remaster is sign of things to come. Though Rockstar is big on digital distribution, physical is still huge for them, and the Switch carts won't hold the full GTAV package.

Maybe they'll do a GTAV SKU in the future (on current Switch) where they ship with only SP on cart and online downloadable, who knows, but they are not avoiding Nintendo platforms anymore.

Robb

Gold Member
The RDR remaster is sign of things to come.
That’s a big maybe imo. They’re just doing those because Switch happened to turn out to be one of the most successful systems ever made. Same thing happened with DS which got its own GTA title. The user bases just became too big to ignore.

Switch 2 might sell way slower and less overall, and if so they’ll go straight back to ignoring it.

That’s my guess at least.

Last edited:

Mowcno

They didn't port a PS3/360 game (GTA V) to the Switch, one of the best selling consoles of all time and a title that has sold 190m copies. So...

They’re just doing those because Switch happened to turn out to be one of the most successful system ever made. Same thing happened with DS which got its own GTA title. The user bases just became too big to ignore.

Read, what you wrote, and my post again, slowly.

Is Switch 2 going to even be more powerful then a PS4? 😆

Think PS4 Pro or a Series S, slightly slower/faster, give or take, with DLSS 2.0 (and some 3.0 features, but Nintendo proprietary, like their own frame generation algo, but not 3.5 features like ray reconstruction).

Sure, if they go back to over the top view for the switch version.

Thierry Henry Football GIF by Beats by Dre
I'm sure most people who didn't play GTA 1 or 2 would hate that but I'd be down for an old-school GTA experience. Or just give the Switch another Chinatown Wars-esque spinoff in the same vein.

Yamisan

Not possible, the Switch is 15+ years behind in tech so the switch 2 will be around 10 years behind.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This could have been a discussion in one of the other dozen topics on page 1.

Mephisto40

Considering the switch 2 would be comparable to a PS4 power wise, I think it's safe to say this will not be coming to switch 2

diffusionx

Gold Member
If the Switch 2 can handle the game they'll put it on there. We have no idea what the Switch 2 is going to be yet, it's all guesswork and speculation at the moment.

//DEVIL//

How do people expect a game to be announced on a platform that has not been announced yet ????

like brain.. it must function sometimes.

Didn't even Nintendo deny its existence couple of weeks ago just so people buy Switch this holiday ? you think they would let Rockstar announce a Switch 2 game ??

brrr.

Last edited:

Woopah

They are not going to announce a game for an unannounced platform. Plenty of currently announced games will come to Switch 2.

Go_Ly_Dow

Whether it will ever release on Switch 2 or be able to run on Switch 2 in some form are two different questions.

My personal view is with severe optimising that yes it may be possible to get it running on Switch 2 in some form. Such as severely cutting down on resolution, locking it to 25-30fps, using DLSS and stripping down the visuals and stuff happening on screen. I'm not expecting it though as I think they will focus on PC and PS6 etc... post release to get more copies sold, rather than rely on a watered down Switch 2 version.

Last edited:
if Switch 2 doesn’t take off.

Surprised you could even say that with a straight face, despite the installed base of a 130 million+ units selling platform, being on life support of their 7 year old hardware, itching to upgrade at the earliest chance they can get, let alone what bizarre reason you have to even think that.

There's a reason T2's putting their back catalogue on Switch, and it is to prepare the userbase for their future titles.

images-1.jpg

GTAV will make it to the Switch (with SP only on cart and online content being downloadable, on/ and/or Switch 2 before GTAVI comes out).

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I think between the hardware, the fact that the install base will be behind the others and that Nintendo isn't the primary console for many gamers.... it won't happen.

Rockstar would really banking on players double dipping on a weaker console...and usually it's the opposite. They are double dipping on more powerful hardware.

So I have a hard time seeing it. If anything we'd probably see them release GTA IV and V combo on Switch 2 in 2030.

Robb

Gold Member
Surprised you could even say that with a straight face, despite the installed base of a 130 million+
Past success is obviously no guarantee for future success. In fact, the trend is a substantial decrease in all second iterations:

NES to SNES was a decrease of +10M
GB to GBA was a decrease of +35M
DS to 3DS was a decrease of around 80M
Wii to WiiU was a decrease of +85M

Given that their next system is a Switch successor with a similar gimmick I don’t think it’ll reach anywhere near the same heights. Although it’ll still be a success, just not relative to the previous system.

Last edited:
What if the game wasn't announced on the switch 2 because it hasn't been revealed yet?
If it runs on the Xbox Series S I don't see a problem running on the switch with DLSS at 720p

On top of that, another report states that Nintendo showcased The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo running on the targeted specifications of the Switch 2 using Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology. The graphics were said to be on par with the PS5 and the Xbox Series X. It should be noted that it is unlikely that the new Switch will have the same raw power as the much bigger and beefier PS5 and Xbox Series X
Isn't the CPU the problem, Series S shares the same CPU as X. I'm no expert and hopefully it does but I don't think it will.

Chastten

Banned
Don't see this happening when they couldn't even be bothered porting 5 to Switch.

That being said, I have no interest in 6 whatsoever. If they ported 1 and/or 2 to the Switch, or release some other 2D top down GTA on Switch, however, I would be all in. GTA stopped being fun for me when they moved to 3D.

Mozzarella

Just a question because i dont bother to search for it, does Nintendo actually port any of their games to other platforms?

Robb

Gold Member
Just a question because i dont bother to search for it, does Nintendo actually port any of their games to other platforms?
Generally, no.

The only “recent”, and very specific, example I can think of is them porting a couple of Wii games, like Super Mario Galaxy, to the Nvidia Shield. But that was only in China, so very very limited.

My man, just buy a PS5. These long shot dreams only hurt.

Top Bottom