• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar: A Lets Play (and Learn) Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadybiz

Would a spin-off of this thread where we post weekly covers/originals be kinda cool? I'd be down for something like that.

I'd be down as well. I'm a pretty darn mediocre player (if even that), so I don't know that I'd want to take the lead (heh) on that. I would participate, though..would be good for me, because for as much as I play, I really don't know a whole heck of a lot of songs, so something like that would motivate me.

Calvero

Banned
I'd be down as well. I'm a pretty darn mediocre player (if even that), so I don't know that I'd want to take the lead (heh) on that. I would participate, though..would be good for me, because for as much as I play, I really don't know a whole heck of a lot of songs, so something like that would motivate me.

I proposed something like that many pages back, no one bit.

I'm not so good at penning OTs, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Jindrax

Hi guys, I need some help finding the names of chords, don't know if there's a better place to post it.

it's three chords.

First is the same shape as a Dm7 on the fifth fret, but on the 7th instead.
Second I think is a Bm, barre on the 7th fret and pressing the A and D on the 9th.
Last is once again the same as Dm7 but with the barre on the 9th.

I think it's Em7, Bm and F#m7 if anyone could confirm?

Calvero

Banned
Hi guys, I need some help finding the names of chords, don't know if there's a better place to post it.

it's three chords.

First is the same shape as a Dm7 on the fifth fret, but on the 7th instead.
Second I think is a Bm, barre on the 7th fret and pressing the A and D on the 9th.
Last is once again the same as Dm7 but with the barre on the 9th.

I think it's Em7, Bm and F#m7 if anyone could confirm?

1. Em7
2. Bm is correct, assuming you mean pressing down on the A & D strings at the 9th fret, right?
3. F#m7

look at the root notes. the chord shape stays the same, but it moves along the neck. So Dm7 shape at 7th fret is Em7 because the root note is E. Fifth string, fifth fret.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Anyone have any good acoustic bluegrass tunes to learn? Something with a cool melody & good right hand action.

I don't know if this would be too easy/hard for you, but check out this song called Handguns by Greensky Bluegrass. This song helped me so much with chord changes and strumming. Basically just the rythmn part though, I don't know the solo stuff going on, but just playing the main chord rhythmn through out the whole song is so much fun imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ1ow8WIW_U

^sweet vid of just the guitarist and dobro player performing it.

It's basically capo 4th fret then then the following chords:

Verse:

Am-F-Am-G-Dm-Am-F-G

Chrous:

C-G-Am-F-Am-G

Also, I am so down for a covers thread lol!! I'd totally participate in that shit

Watevaman

Despite me making a note to try and learn new ways to practice guitar, I'm still just doing songs that I enjoy. I'm not too interested in writing my own stuff, as guitar was never supposed to be more than a hobby. My latest song I've been practicing this week is Ensiferum's Lai Lai Hei. I've always wanted to play it but certain parts used to be pretty daunting, especially the riff that's played at 4:00 and 4:37. However, the rest of the song is fairly straightforward, so I started playing through at 50% speed, then worked up to 75% and finally last night was able to do the whole thing (minus the solo, I can't sweep) at 100%. One of the exercises I found really helpful for that trouble riff, which uses the pinky a lot, was found in this video. The legato exercise in the middle was great even after a few runs for making my pinky more responsive.

How do you restring an acoustic guitar without snapping the strings? lol

Fairly easily (though I do recall doing that in the dim recesses of my mind). Are you tightening them way past the correct pitch? Had a friend at university whose tuner was set to the wrong pitch so what she thought was an A was really a C.

Forgive this webpage from 1998, but here's a good and comprehensive guide to restringing a steel string acoustic.

Fugu

I'm a sometime guitar/theory teacher. If I can be of use to any of you, please don't hesitate to ask me any questions!

How do you restring an acoustic guitar without snapping the strings? lol
Take your time tightening them up and do them all together instead of tightening one string to the correct pitch while there's only one on the guitar. I tend to tune the whole guitar to a whole tone below standard before putting them up to the correct pitch.

I've been playing guitar for almost a year now and the problem I have is that I can't find anything worth playing. I feel stuck between basic progressions and super complicated riffs. I really want to play more guitar but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions for cool songs that sound complete and take some work to master?

I'd also like to start learning some theory so I can try to come up with my own stuff. I'm kinda stuck in the mindset of doing basic progressions/pentatonic scales so I get bored pretty fast. I feel like I just need to mix it up a little outside of lifting a finger or arpeggiating.

Wag

I can play some rhythm guitar and open chords. I taught myself when I was 18 (I'm 47 now). I'd really like to learn how to play a blues shuffle. I think that would definitely improve my playing (I'm mostly a blues and R&B guy). I also need to learn how to play with a pick. I strum with my hands/fingers.

Bar chords would be next on the list- I kind of know how to do it, but I never really practiced. I'm mostly a harmonica guy (I'm pretty good), but I'd like to focus on the guitar more.

Fugu

I've been playing guitar for almost a year now and the problem I have is that I can't find anything worth playing. I feel stuck between basic progressions and super complicated riffs. I really want to play more guitar but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions for cool songs that sound complete and take some work to master?

I'd also like to start learning some theory so I can try to come up with my own stuff. I'm kinda stuck in the mindset of doing basic progressions/pentatonic scales so I get bored pretty fast. I feel like I just need to mix it up a little outside of lifting a finger or arpeggiating.
What point are you at right now, theory-wise? Do you know the major scale? Do you know the chords that come from the major scale? Do you know the modes of the major scale? What do you know about chord-scale function (primary/secondary dominants, subdominants, cadences, etc.)?

I've written a fair bit of self-study springboards on the topic and could probably recommend something to you if I knew your current understanding.

I'd really like to learn how to play a blues shuffle.

It really isn't all that hard, and presumably if you played blues harp you have an idea of the correct rhythm which is usually the bigger stumbling block. Once you get the basics down you just add embellishments and variations.

Do you have an electric or an autistic?

I also need to learn how to play with a pick. I strum with my hands/fingers.

You don't have to play with a pick, but if you are having trouble transitioning, get a thumb pick.

Wag

It really isn't all that hard, and presumably if you played blues harp you have an idea of the correct rhythm which is usually the bigger stumbling block. Once you get the basics down you just add embellishments and variations.

Do you have an electric or an autistic?

You don't have to play with a pick, but if you are having trouble transitioning, get a thumb pick.

I have an Alvarez steel-string. It's kind of hard to play. I have especially difficult time with bar chords. I guess I need to practice more.

I have an Alvarez steel-string. It's kind of hard to play. I have especially difficult time with bar chords. I guess I need to practice more.

Most of us need to practice more-- is it set up poorly?

Quick check: If you put a capo on the second fret, do bar chords up the neck get much easier?

Wag

Most of us need to practice more-- is it set up poorly?

Quick check: If you put a capo on the second fret, do bar chords up the neck get much easier?

Yes. I had it adjusted a few times already. It might be time to take it back in.

I don't really play bar chords all that often but I know how to do it, basically I just use a capo. Now that I don't play the harp all that much (I have really bad TMJ) I want to focus on the guitar more. I might take a lesson or two.

Trying to practice my rhythm consistently and played some Elvis today. Very shoddily, but I kept the rhythm up!

I now know the following chords: A, D, E, Am, Em, Dm, G, and C. If I concentrate, they ring out fine, but when just switching, still super sloppy and buzzy. Switching from the first three to the others still takes some time, but I'm trying to keep my rhythm consistent, with the right chord shapes sort of... coming along.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Interesting thread. I'm completely new to guitar, started with Rocksmith alone though I'm sure eventually I'll branch out. Been playing daily for three weeks. Not sure what level of proficiency I should be at but I've definitely made a lot of progress even if I'm still terrible.

What point are you at right now, theory-wise? Do you know the major scale? Do you know the chords that come from the major scale? Do you know the modes of the major scale? What do you know about chord-scale function (primary/secondary dominants, subdominants, cadences, etc.)?

I've written a fair bit of self-study springboards on the topic and could probably recommend something to you if I knew your current understanding.

I know the major/minor scale and some of the theory behind it (tonics and such) but nothing substantial off the top of my head. I could probably point it out but wouldn't be able to explain what it meant.

I'd be up to drilling some stuff in but I usually stumble upon something like what you said in your last question and wind up completely out of my depth. I wouldn't be opposed to starting from the basics (and I probably need to anyway).

solarus

So happy chance made him delay the release to put waves on (its the can u be song) was my most hyped snippet! Now if only he can convince him to put I feel like that back on and add back the features he removed...

MrCow

hey guys,

how would one plug his guitar into the computer to record or have some fun with effects?

about my setup:
i have a win 7 pc
onboard and extra soundcard (asus xonar d1)
usb cable from the rocksmith game that can be plugged into the guitar/pc
line 6 spider iv amp

my problem:
when i try to record with audacity i don't have any effect with the guitar (i plug it in directly to the pc) but i have terrible delay with my audio setup -> output through my speakers

how can i record with the amp effects? what programs do you use? how do i get rid of this damn audio delay?

how do i get rid of this damn audio delay?

Don't use the native USB-audio monitoring in Windows. Here's a reduced-latency driver: Asio4all

Or get a USB device that does hardware monitoring.

I occasionally support Windows USB audio device recording of vocals at work, but do all my guitar stuff on a Mac so can't answer your other questions.

I don't really play bar chords all that often but I know how to do it, basically I just use a capo.

I wouldn't worry about barre chords-- most things in blues/folk/etc don't need them. If you need to play a non-open chord up the neck you presumably have enough fingers to grab the correct triad or tetrad. This is especially true when playing with other people, as you really don't need or even want a five or six note chord.

Fugu

I know the major/minor scale and some of the theory behind it (tonics and such) but nothing substantial off the top of my head. I could probably point it out but wouldn't be able to explain what it meant.

I'd be up to drilling some stuff in but I usually stumble upon something like what you said in your last question and wind up completely out of my depth. I wouldn't be opposed to starting from the basics (and I probably need to anyway).
The last question I asked was regarding the use ("function") of the different chords that are available to you in a given key. Common chord progressions are no accident and often come about because they often use chord function in the most natural and obvious ways possible. Having said that, understanding basic chord function is usually good enough, with some practice, to analyse basically any music concerned with major scale harmony, regardless of how difficult it is.

This is something of a copy-paste job but hopefully it's still useful to you.

The first step to understanding this kind of question (assuming you already know the major scale) is figuring out what triads you can get for it. Why triads? Because they are essentially the building blocks of western harmony; certainly, there is great value to chords that aren't triads (or extensions of triads, like seventh chords) but they are far less fundamental to an understanding of how western harmony works.

A triad can be thought simply as any chord consisting of three notes, but usually when we refer to triads we talk about situations where the notes are spaced two letters apart (C E G and not C D E).

C major gives you these notes:
C D E F G A B

Noting the rule above, there are seven triads that you can get from the major scale.
C E G - C major (C to E is a major third, C to G is a perfect fifth -- this makes a major chord)
D F A - D minor (D to F is a minor third, D to A is a perfect fifth -- this makes a minor chord)
E G B - E minor
F A C - F major
G B D - G major
A C E - A minor
B D F - B Diminished (B to D is a minor third, B to F is a tritone -- this makes a diminished chord)

(If you're not familiar with intervals like major third, perfect fifth and tritone, there are a lot of resources on that subject that should catch you up.)

You can do this for any starting note, and the pattern will always come out the same: Major minor minor major major minor diminished. Similarly, if you do this with the (natural) minor scale, you will get minor diminished major minor minor major major.

The most important chords in C major, by idiom and by design, are the chords that fall on C and on G. It is, for everyone's benefit, a good idea to ignore why this is for now as a full answer is quite complex and probably won't do you any good right now anyway. But what is easy to understand is that the relationship between these two chords makes a resolution that is satisfying and easy to hear. You will often find that G goes to C, and that A goes to D, and that E goes to A, and that F# goes to B. In the case of G and C, C is called the tonic and G the (primary) dominant. The primary dominant of a given tonic can always be found on the fifth degree of its scale; in other words, a dominant chord is a perfect fifth above (or a perfect fourth below) a given pitch.

As an aside, dominant chords are often played as dominant sevenths (G7 instead of G), not triads. It is therefore advisable, when you're actually playing and hearing these sounds, to go G7 > C, not G > C.

Looking back at C major, we have now identified the function of two of its chords: C major is the tonic chord, and G is the dominant chord. The next most important chord in the key of C is F major. F major is called the subdominant chord; in terms of resolution it is still appealing to go from F major to C major but it is not as strong as G major to C major. Similarly, F major to G major is a significantly smoother transition than C major to G major. In this way, the subdominant chord can be thought of an intermediate between the tonic and dominant.

If you look at the chord progression of La Bamba, you will notice that it consists entirely of these three chords -- C F G. There are, indeed, a huge number of pieces of music that rely exclusively on this relationship in one form or another. The twelve bar blues, in its most basic form, relies on this relationship.

This is, again, no accident, and it's due to the fact that from the major scale, where 99% of western music gets its harmonic information from, there are only three chord functions: Tonic, subdominant and dominant. The chords on the first, third and sixth note of the major scale are tonic chords. The chords on the second and fourth note of the major scale are subdominant chords. The chords on the fifth and seventh* degree of the major scale are dominant chords.

* - The chord on the seventh degree is complicated and its use relatively challenging.

Back at the C major scale, that gives you this:

C major - Tonic
D minor - Subdominant
E minor - Tonic ("Mediant")
F major - Subdominant
G major/G7 - Dominant
A minor - Tonic ("Submediant")
B diminished - Dominant

These are the basics of chord-scale function. It's quite a bit more difficult to explain what chord-scale function can help you with, but the implications are quite vast: When you are looking to make tension and when to remove it, it is chord-scale function that tells you where tension comes from. Similarly, when you want to substitute a chord for another one or be creative with an arrangement, you can use chord-scale function to inform your decision; in the key of C you can substitute an F major for a D minor easily, but substituting it for an A minor would be a significant alteration.

The chords are coming to me fast now. I'm still working on smoothing out chord changes, making them clean, and rhythm, but I'm memorizing them fast and getting much faster and switching them

My pinkie is weak though. Won't press the strings hard enough.

Everyone has the pinky problem-- what else have you ever needed the pinky for on your non-dominant hand? Sticking out while sipping tea? One in the stink?

Watevaman

The chords are coming to me fast now. I'm still working on smoothing out chord changes, making them clean, and rhythm, but I'm memorizing them fast and getting much faster and switching them

My pinkie is weak though. Won't press the strings hard enough.

Try this video I posted a little further up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGDIOT6c0A

It may be tough as hell when you're first starting (it's still tough on me and I've been playing a while), but it's good for getting a bit of strength in your pinky.

I need some advice on a decision I'm trying to make. I want to get back into playing guitar, but I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to try relearning on a left handed guitar.

I'm left handed for everything I do except guitar. I took lessons from a great teacher a while ago, and when we started, he told me that since both of my hands have a lot of work and training to do, it wouldn't matter which handedness I play, so I should stick to a right handed guitar.

After a couple of years taking lessons, I started to burn out and lose interest, I think because I wasn't progressing as fast as I would have liked, so I said goodbye to my teacher, and took a break. That was 3 years ago, and since then I've picked up my guitar once in a while (on average, every 4-6 months), usually to play some Rocksmith 2014 and see if I'll regain interest, but I just do it once, then let it collect dust again.

Recently, I've been thinking more seriously about playing guitar again. In the end, I want to be able to play some of my favorite songs competently, I don't want to start/join a band, I just want to play as a more rewarding hobby. I should mention that my favorite band is Dream Theater, so I would have to get pretty good to play along with their songs.

I went to a Guitar Center and asked an employee there about this, and he suggested picking up one of the two available lefty guitars and trying it out in the store to see my comfort with it. I did, and while fretting with my right hand didn't feel very natural, picking with my left hand felt pretty good. It still felt a little weird, since I had never played left handed before, but it felt a lot better than I thought it would.

Picking with my right hand was one of the problems I had trouble overcoming when I was originally practicing with my teacher. I was always picking too hard, and he told me I needed to use a lighter touch, but I found picking lighter instinctively to be tough.

With all this being said, what do you think? Would it be worth while at all to try again left handed? Guitar Center had a left handed Squier Strat for $180 that looked good to me. I can provide more information if needed.

Try this video I posted a little further up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGDIOT6c0A

It may be tough as hell when you're first starting (it's still tough on me and I've been playing a while), but it's good for getting a bit of strength in your pinky.

Really quick metal riffs are actually a really good way to build up pinky strength. Play Racer X or Van Halen riffs for awhile and your pinky will be just as strong as any other finger on your hand lol

I need some advice on a decision I'm trying to make. I want to get back into playing guitar, but I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to try relearning on a left handed guitar.

I'm left handed for everything I do except . I took lessons from a great teacher a while ago, and when we started, he told me that since both of my hands have a lot of work and training to do, it wouldn't matter which handedness I play, so I should stick to a right handed guitar.

After a couple of years taking lessons, I started to burn out and lose interest, I think because I wasn't progressing as fast as I would have liked, so I said goodbye to my teacher, and took a break. That was 3 years ago, and since then I've picked up my guitar once in a while (on average, every 4-6 months), usually to play some Rocksmith 2014 and see if I'll regain interest, but I just do it once, then let it collect dust again.

Recently, I've been thinking more seriously about playing guitar again. In the end, I want to be able to play some of my favorite songs competently, I don't want to start/join a band, I just want to play as a more rewarding hobby. I should mention that my favorite band is Dream Theater, so I would have to get pretty good to play along with their songs.

I went to a Guitar Center and asked an employee there about this, and he suggested picking up one of the two available lefty guitars and trying it out in the store to see my comfort with it. I did, and while fretting with my right hand didn't feel very natural, picking with my left hand felt pretty good. It still felt a little weird, since I had never played left handed before, but it felt a lot better than I thought it would.

Picking with my right hand was one of the problems I had trouble overcoming when I was originally practicing with my teacher. I was always picking too hard, and he told me I needed to use a lighter touch, but I found picking lighter instinctively to be tough.

With all this being said, what do you think? Would it be worth while at all to try again left handed? Guitar Center had a left handed Squier Strat for $180 that looked good to me. I can provide more information if needed.

Can't really speak to your left handedness, but if you found the transition to be generally pretty smooth, and your picking accuracy improves, I don't see why not. In the meantime, I guess you could flip your guitar around and restring it like Hendrix to see how you like it before taking the financial plunge.

I found my bro's ancient, little trainer acoustic guitar out in our parents' garage and have ordered some light strings. I was originally just gonna use it to get simple notes and write simple melodies for production in a DAW, but why the hell not go all in and actually learn something? :p

I'm glad I subscribed a while back, since the OP has some good resources I might not have found.

Can't really speak to your left handedness, but if you found the transition to be generally pretty smooth, and your picking accuracy improves, I don't see why not. In the meantime, I guess you could flip your guitar around and restring it like Hendrix to see how you like it before taking the financial plunge.
Thanks for the advice. I need to change the strings on my old electric sometime anyways, it might be worth a shot.

The ends justify the means-- if you like the music and no chickens were interrupted in its making, what does it matter the techniques used?

Fugu

I'm left handed for everything I do except guitar. I took lessons from a great teacher a while ago, and when we started, he told me that since both of my hands have a lot of work and training to do, it wouldn't matter which handedness I play, so I should stick to a right handed guitar.

Despite the common layout of the guitar being described as "right-handed", it is, in most situations, the fretting hand that is doing all of the heavy lifting. I have had more than one professor in my lifetime give the opinion that right-handed people should be playing lefty guitars and vice versa.

I think this is a dissenting opinion but it is definitely true that for most guitarists, the vast majority of technique development focuses on the fretting hand. That isn't to say that picking requires no fine motor skills -- it certainly does -- but it is far more common to be impeded by fretting than by picking, especially as the music gets more advanced.

Furthermore, you will always have more difficulty finding a left-handed guitar than a right-handed one.

So I don't play guitar. I self taught myself piano.

My best friend/roommate wanted to learn guitar. I tried to point him in the same sort of direction I took when learning piano. I hooked him up with the following:

1 - A guitar
2 - an amp
3 - numerous online resources
4 - a bunch of books on how to play
5 - i printed a simple song he requested after realizing my approach wasn't working. he never learned it.

Today he said he quit playing, and he blamed me for not helping him enough. What the fuck.

He said "you're never going to have a band because you think of success too singularly". Not sure what else he wanted me to do for him. I legit don't

Dude sounds crazy.

Did you learn how to read music when you learned piano? There is a cheap piano at my local goodwill that is in really good shape. I keep thinking about grabbing it just to dink around on, but I can't read music and really have no interest in it, and it doesn't seem like guitar where you can get by absolutely fine not reading music.

Fugu

Dude sounds crazy.

Did you learn how to read music when you learned piano? There is a cheap piano at my local goodwill that is in really good shape. I keep thinking about grabbing it just to dink around on, but I can't read music and really have no interest in it, and it doesn't seem like guitar where you can get by absolutely fine not reading music.
The piano is not substantially less intuitive than the guitar. Also, learning to read music is incredibly easy. It is so easy, in fact, that I bet that there are very few things in life that will give you such a high return for such a little amount of time invested.

You could master the basics in an afternoon and probably never need to go further than that unless you cultivated an interest in performing classical music.

NEO0MJ

So, what beginner books other than the one by Gibson in the OP do you guys recommend? While Rocksmith helped me navigate the guitar I feel I should understand the instrument and music better.

Today he said he quit playing, and he blamed me for not helping him enough. What the fuck.

He said "you're never going to have a band because you think of success too singularly". Not sure what else he wanted me to do for him. I legit don't

Probably wanted an excuse as to why he failed and made you the scapegoat.

So I don't play guitar. I self taught myself piano.

My best friend/roommate wanted to learn guitar. I tried to point him in the same sort of direction I took when learning piano. I hooked him up with the following:

1 - A guitar
2 - an amp
3 - numerous online resources
4 - a bunch of books on how to play
5 - i printed a simple song he requested after realizing my approach wasn't working. he never learned it.

lol what

Neat, didn't know there was a topic for this.

I started learning a week or two ago, 'teaching' myself on my dad's old acoustic using various online videos and LEARN HOW TO GUITAR IN JUST TEN EASY STEPS things. So far I can finger most of the basic chords(or at least the ones everyone says to start with), C/A/G/E/D and the E/A/D minors. I learned some basics on the violin years ago so I was sort of familiar with how strings/frets work, but maaaaan. My soft and squishy fingers were not happy at first.

If I can keep myself practicing once a day and don't get bored of it, I want to be able to strum some of the songs I like eventually. Doing stuff 'fingerstyle' seems like fun too. I always liked pizzicato on the violin, even if I never got very far with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom