• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Now that I've done some digging it appears their mobile plans are even more ambitious than I realized.

Apparently you will be able to use Bluetooth to connect the Guitar to any Apple device. I'm sure they are working on Android as well but I only saw Apple confirmed this far.

Pretty crazy stuff.

zulux21

so reading through the OP I will likely give this a try in a few months when I can get the bundle for $30 or so.

guitar is my least played thing in rock band but at least this has vocals (my most played thing in rock band) and there are a few songs on here that aren't on rock band that I want to sing. I'll see if in the few months time those hit rock band as well.

either way I am curious to see how this does as while I could see a $6 pass for unlimited plays of the dlc for 24 hours doing well in a party session with a couple other players (as it's 1.50 per player if you could do drums, guitar, bass and vocals in that case) it feels a lot more steep with less players.

Nothing amazing but I recorded another clip. Just looking for an excuse to record in 1080/60, lol:

Linkin Park - Wastelands - Regular Difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamgZytz4oM

I'm going to mess with the calibration some more. It's probably why I sometimes miss notes that I shouldn't.

Eventually I'll move to Advanced but for now I'll stick with Regular while I go through the campaign.

antitrop

Nothing amazing but I recorded another clip. Just looking for an excuse to record in 1080/60, lol:

Linkin Park - Wastelands - Regular Difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamgZytz4oM

I'm going to mess with the calibration some more. It's probably why I sometimes miss notes that I shouldn't.

Eventually I'll move to Advanced but for now I'll stick with Regular while I go through the campaign.

I was pretty hostile towards the whole "live audience, first-person guitarist" thing when the game was first announced, but I've really come around on it.

bounchfx

I was pretty hostile towards the whole "live audience, first-person guitarist" thing when the game was first announced, but I've really come around on it.

my worry is, if there's not a lot of these then it might get really old seeing the same ones multiple times. with older gh/rb it was generic enough that it didnt really matter but I'm not sure how many times i'll see beard dude screaming at me then the cameras panning exactly the same before it feels old.

anyone know if they chop between clips to form kind of a randomized band video or if it's just a clip that's played the same all the way through? (and obviously have multiple of these)

Karak

my worry is, if there's not a lot of these then it might get really old seeing the same ones multiple times.

anyone know if they chop between clips to form kind of a randomized band video or if it's just a clip that's played the same all the way through? (and obviously have multiple of these)

Different cuts but...not as many as I think your hoping...not at all.

Megadeth - Hangar 18 - Regular Difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6T3iM2HA4

Played during GHTV.

Getting more comfortable with switching between colors. I get confused, though, when it asks me to hit the middle white and the right black notes together. That combination is kicking my ass.

GHTV is pretty awesome. Great way to hear new music.

Rihanna - California King Bed - Regular Difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOCvnWFcYQ

System of a Down - Chop Suey! - Regular Difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iI-LWmrDw

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That is kind of disappointing. Hopefully while playing u don't even notice the background.

I imagine that in the long run people will mostly play GHTV which has the music videos anyway

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Regular seems boring dude you should bump that up a bit

How much is GHTV a month? And does every song have a music video?

A month? Its free. The songs rotate on the channels and you can play any of the 200 songs in GHTV when you want by using a "play token" which you both earn in game and buy with in game currency (I think?)

And yes every song in GHTV is a music video

Nirran

It's free unless you want to play an exact song and than it costs a credit you obtain in game or can purchase with real money. I hear the tokens are really easy to get so playing what you want shouldn't be too bad.

No monthly fee for GHTV, and yes, every song has a music video. The only thing that costs money is playing a GHTV song "on demand", and even that can be done for free with the in game currency. There's also a Party Pass where you pay for unlimited GHTV on-demand for 24 hours.

kaskade

So if you want to play songs for free in the Guitar Hero live thing you just wait until it's in rotation? So like one day might be some grunge next would be hair metal? But then if you want to play any song you just use credits? I just want to make sure I don't really have to pump any more money into the game to play songs.

Some of these Expert tracks that I'm seeing in streams look really challenging due to how chords and notes work now. I'm impressed. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

So its the 20th now. They need to update calibration. The whole "move this cowbell so it matches the beat" is the worst method of calibration used in music games (GHL is not the first or last to do this but its bad). At least give me GH2's calibration at the very least. This is a step back from that...

I was very excited about this game but the talk of consumable perks has really dampened my enthusiasm. I'm really not sure I want this at all now. A game about leader boards where all the leader boards are corrupted! Great idea.

I hope there's a no perks mode but I doubt it I guess. Fucking idiots.

SFenton

So its the 20th now. They need to update calibration. The whole "move this cowbell so it matches the beat" is the worst method of calibration used in music games (GHL is not the first or last to do this but its bad). At least give me GH2's calibration at the very least. This is a step back from that...

Yes. Yes. One million times. I actually cannot calibrate at all. Right now the game is unplayable to me.

rjcc

now that they've changed the GH guitar, is it at all compatible with RB4?

edit, ah, I see no. hmm.

the GHTV setup is weird, but the tracklist is a lot more appealing than RB4's initial tracklist (I haven't checked to see which DLC is available yet)

KaYotiX

Banned
The fmv really isn't that good, it really cuts all over the place and is really annoying when watching streams. Already seeing alot of repeat stuff too.

The music videos on GHTV are alot better as a background though.

BearPawB

Banned
The fmv really isn't that good, it really cuts all over the place and is really annoying when watching streams. Already seeing alot of repeat stuff too.

it only really cuts all over the place if you are doing poorly lol.

Guerrilla

so still about 10 hours left until review hit, correct? I got this preordered on amazon (europe so its friday for me unfortunately) so I could still cancel if this bombs.

But consensus of those who have it here is that it's pretty good, right?

CloudWolf

Of course you're seeing a lot of repeat stuff, they filmed two things for every song (good performance/bad performance), the camera angles and shots are fixed.

Figments

Is it just me or do the calibration settings seem really wonky?

I keep having to turn on automatic calibration, but the setting always reverts to off whenever I leave a song. It's infuriating.

SFenton

Initial impressions:

- Suck it, I'm already 5*ing hard stuff on Expert (wassup Pierce the Veil)
- Calibration is ass. I slid it way to the right for the fuck of it, it sounded off, I played a song, and it felt close to right. Not right, but close to right.
- I am having no success with multiplayer. Bought the two guitar pack and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bluetooth connections are interfering with each other.
- Similarly, I am missing notes for no reason.
- Controllers were designed to be cross console, hence USB dongles on X1 and I presume everywhere else. While I get this was done to cheapen costs, as I mentioned above, it's having an impact on gameplay.
- I don't like the idea of Ho Hey/Mumford/etc. in a GH game but I'll be damned if the concert video wasn't excellently shot and fun to watch
- Hell, every video is excellently shot and fun to watch
- It feels a lot like DJ Hero where it's easy to get into after playing other games for so long; I jumped right into Expert without issues
- Calibration is ass why is it still ass you have four music games under your belt FSG
- Having to unlock songs again is unwelcome for christ's sake we haven't had to do that since Guitar Hero World Tour
- Certain chord shapes are easy. Certain shapes are literally designed to fuck your hand. (White-Black-White, I'm looking at you)
- I find it easier to do index-middle-pinky than index-middle-ring

Overall, so far, I'm very dissatisfied with the product setup- questionable guitars, infuriating multiplayer process, the awful, awful calibration- but the game itself is pretty fun. I look forward to making some videos tomorrow!

Meh, the review contents were good, but I feel like 7.9 was arbitrarily applied to that review. For context, GHWT was given a 7.7 or something and it was basically lambasted for not even being up to par with RB1.

Green Yoshi

For example, if you’re the kind of player who wants to nail a wrist-crunchingly intense track like Lamb of God’s Ghost Walking at 100% on Expert, you’re probably going to burn through your Plays quickly trying to master it. It’s then that you’ll be forced to choose between grinding your way through other songs to earn more, or buying Plays instantly by using real money. The latter could easily become a costly habit.
No matter how much currency, real or virtual, you pump in, you’ll never actually own any of its growing library of songs beyond the 42 included on the disc.

:-(

GHTV actually sounds perfect for me.

I usually only play for 20-30 minutes at a time and I hate trying to decide which songs to play.

Just snagging random playlists sounds like a blast.

ascully

GHTV won't do my bandwidth cap any favors. For people who have the game are there options to choose lower quality streaming video on that mode?

what? how?

In Germany, they offer a "9.99€" promotion where you trade in 2 used games which are on a special trade-in list, pay 9.99€ on top and get a new game. They recently added the Guitar Hero bundle to that promo.
The problem is, they forgot to take some Nintendogs games off their list which are now cheap to acquire due to Nintendo Select. So I paid 32€ for two Nintendogs games, paid 9.99€ on top and that's it. Crazy, I know!

Top Bottom