• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

Coconutt

First time gun buyer here, not looking to use it for carry immediately, will be used for home defense and going out to the range every once a while, trying to keep the purchase at $500.00 or lower if possible. Debating between these three, anyone have any hands on experience and what are your opinion on them?

CZ P-10C
Canik TP9SF
Sig Sauer P365

Dream-Knife

Banned
First time gun buyer here, not looking to use it for carry immediately, will be used for home defense and going out to the range every once a while, trying to keep the purchase at $500.00 or lower if possible. Debating between these three, anyone have any hands on experience and what are your opinion on them?

CZ P-10C
Canik TP9SF
Sig Sauer P365
Of those the P365. You need to try any gun you plan on buying before buying it though. Of course get training.

If you can't try something, then I recommend the Glock 19 or 48.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Anybody got their hands on a Smith & Wesson CSX? The thing is right up my alley, would be nice to see some real world thoughts.

TheContact

My only ccw
LC1keY2.jpg

Rest

Apparently that author was a Nazi, looks like the book might be cancelled.

Last edited:

Rest

"Shooting through an enemy snipers scope...Like in Saving Pvt. Ryan?" by Reaper 33

Mr1999

Gold Member
I'm thinking of purchasing my first gun (again), I hope I do not go through the nightmare I did back in 2018. It's a crazy story and something I would like to share, so back in 2018 I wanted to buy my first gun, I didn't have a lot of money at the time so I ended buying a p22 which was $300 or something like that. I found it online for layaway. So few months pass and the gun is paid off. It was "CA Approved" and everything, so I had them ship it to a FFL dealer here in town.

I get a call later that month from the store saying that my gun had arrived and to come in and fill out the paperwork. So I first go do the questionnaire test which is required if you want to buy a gun here, first attempt and I pass. From there I go to the FFL to do the paperwork. I pay for the DROS, give him my information, finger print, all that stuff and he tells me that the gun should be ready to pickup in a week and that sometimes it might take upwards of 30 days, but not to worry that majority of purchases come back within that week.

So I go home, happy and buy all these upgrades for it, waiting for that day to come, I go to the local shooting range and get acquainted with the employees and tell them that I would be shooting there soon and that I was excited. So anyways, that first week I wait for a response, 4th day comes, no answer, 5th day, nothing. I call them and they said to just wait, so day 7 comes and they call me saying that my purchase is delayed and that I now have to wait a full month.

So I again don't think anything of it, knowing California and how the laws are here I figure its going to take a bit longer. 2nd week passes by and nothing, 3rd week, nothing, the final week, on the last day of the month the gun store calls me saying that I was denied, and as soon as I heard that word my heart sank. Denied for what? They said they could not tell me and to wait for a letter and to come to the store and pick my money. I go to the store and pick up my money minus the fees and at this point im really embarrassed, frustrated, before I entered teh store they were having aa conversation which sounded like they were talking about me, but crickets when I swung that door and entered, obviously did not want me to hear the shit they were saying about me, but I was whatevers at this point and just wanted my money.

Anyways I finally get a letter a week later and the reason why they denied me is because apparently I was not legally in this country, and that it was illegal for me to own a gun. I was so angry because I knew this was not true, I have documentation to back this up, so I submit an appeal to the FBI and NICS telling them that they are WRONG and provided everything they wanted, I also took a Department of Justice background check during this, anyways later I got a response from both the FBI and CA DOJ basically saying they were wrong and that I could own a firearm, and to take a certificate that they made and to present it to the gun store so they can release the gun, but by that point shit was done and over with.

I want to buy something but I really do not want to go through this again, I know how to remedy it faster now but the whole ordeal sucked. Anyways that's my story.

Havoc2049

^^^^
That sucks. I know if you are in a legal immigrant status, like Lawfully Admitted for Permenant Residency, then you can buy a weapon, just like a US citizen.

Just buy a gun from a local gun store, especially for your first pistol, as there is way less drama and hoops to jump through.

I would recommend buying a 9mm compact or larger sub-compact for your first pistol. Maybe something like a Smith and Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ. It's Cali compliant, easy to shoot safely, disassemble and clean.

I took my Beretta Cx4 Storm down to the local free public outdoor range and sighted it in this morning. It shot a little low and to the right. A couple of clicks up, a couple left and I was hitting center mass.

Mr1999

Gold Member
I'm a US Citizen, I'm definitely going to buy but I don't want to buy a handgun, or maybe I do, but I want a really nice rifle, my is limit $1000 or maybe a 2/3rd and rest payments. I know my options are limited living in this state, maybe a really nice deer rifle.

Rest

InRangeTV is getting sued by scammers

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Serious question, but in the US are there some states where you can legally have any gun?

For example, could I fix a M61 Vulcan to my house for defense purposes only?

Havoc2049

Serious question, but in the US are there some states where you can legally have any gun?

For example, could I fix a M61 Vulcan to my house for defense purposes only?
There are all kinds of restrictions, extra fees and background checks to own a full automatic weapon in the United States. Full automatic weapons and burst fire weapons are also banned in many states. Something like a heavy machine gun would be next to impossible to own by a private citizen.

Chronicle

Not a gun guy but I inherited this today.
fQodPYK.jpg

Qz8zYnE.jpg

The story goes that this was around 1860. A soldier (perhaps deserter) stayed overnight in my great great grandfather's barn. The soldier forgot it the next day when he left. Don't really know much about it. Truly a gorgeous mantelpiece.

Lone Wolf

Not a gun guy but I inherited this today.
fQodPYK.jpg

Qz8zYnE.jpg

The story goes that this was around 1860. A soldier (perhaps deserter) stayed overnight in my great great grandfather's barn. The soldier forgot it the next day when he left. Don't really know much about it. Truly a gorgeous mantelpiece.
That is a nice rifle. You should display it on the wall.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally picked up some range ammo today. Going to the range next weekend with my buddy. I'll probably pick up a case every month to have a nice stockpile in case of future shortages.

Any recommendations on cleaning kits & lubricants?

Havoc2049

Finally picked up some range ammo today. Going to the range next weekend with my buddy. I'll probably pick up a case every month to have a nice stockpile in case of future shortages.

Any recommendations on cleaning kits & lubricants?
Kleenbore makes some nice single caliber and multi caliber cleaning kits. I use CLP to clean and lubricate my weapons.
Here is mine:
mOflmIN.jpeg

o0SL7cF.jpeg

Havoc2049

Here is my Beretta Cx4 Storm evolved, with a Magpul MS3 one/two-point sling, 30-round magazine and Vortex Spitfire red dot sight.
64Qj2Z6.jpeg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Kleenbore makes some nice single caliber and multi caliber cleaning kits. I use CLP to clean and lubricate my weapons.
Here is mine:
mOflmIN.jpeg

o0SL7cF.jpeg
So after speaking to my buddy, I wound just picking up a kit that was on sale as a starting point. The manufacturer is Hoppe's 9. Here's what came in the kit:
  • Cleaning fluid
  • Lubricating oil
  • Aluminum rods
  • Various brush sizes
  • Various Jags
  • Patches
Am I missing any crucial components? I'll probably buy upgrade components piecemeal for future cleanings.

I will either clean & lubricate today, tomorrow, or Sat morning. We're heading to the range Sat afternoon and I am excited!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So after speaking to my buddy, I wound just picking up a kit that was on sale as a starting point. The manufacturer is Hoppe's 9. Here's what came in the kit:
  • Cleaning fluid
  • Lubricating oil
  • Aluminum rods
  • Various brush sizes
  • Various Jags
  • Patches
Am I missing any crucial components? I'll probably buy upgrade components piecemeal for future cleanings.

I will either clean & lubricate today, tomorrow, or Sat morning. We're heading to the range Sat afternoon and I am excited!
Jesus I overthought this.

Anyway, went to the range today with some friends and had a great time. We wrapped up after 150rds. I felt pretty good at 5 yards and got better at 10. I think next time we go, I'll start at 7 and move back to 10.

Also, really grateful that I finally got to use the handgun I purchased in 2020. Hard to believe it sat unused for nearly 2 years but ammo was not happening in '20. I will probably stockpile some while it's still available this year.

Eyeron

Waiting for a suppressor is brutal. E-filed with ATF last month. Hope it doesn’t take the full possible 90 days.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

• Cleaning fluid
  • Lubricating oil
  • Aluminum rods
  • Various brush sizes
  • Various Jags
  • Patches

Seems like you have everything you need. Some q-tips and a few rags as well.
Jesus I overthought this.

Anyway, went to the range today with some friends and had a great time. We wrapped up after 150rds. I felt pretty good at 5 yards and got better at 10. I think next time we go, I'll start at 7 and move back to 10.

Also, really grateful that I finally got to use the handgun I purchased in 2020. Hard to believe it sat unused for nearly 2 years but ammo was not happening in '20. I will probably stockpile some while it's still available this year.
Ya, shooting is a fun hobby and sport to master, especially with friends. Good times!

MrA

So as soon as the Supreme Court ruling came down my wife was like "can we get pistol permit" and I was like yes yes we can, references just got the paper work so heres hoping we'll have them in 3 4 months. Going to buy the hell out colt python (plus a more practical 38 or 9mm semi automatic and a 22 pistol for my wife to learn to shoot)

Havoc2049

So as soon as the Supreme Court ruling came down my wife was like "can we get pistol permit" and I was like yes yes we can, references just got the paper work so heres hoping we'll have them in 3 4 months. Going to buy the hell out colt python (plus a more practical 38 or 9mm semi automatic and a 22 pistol for my wife to learn to shoot)
Where do you live that you need a pistol permit? I've never even heard of such a thing. No wonder the state or city you live in lost their case in the Supreme Court.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Which ruling?

Rest

KE Arms is broke:

Last edited:

Rest

I am very excited to announce today the launch of Headstamp Publishing’s fifth book, Clockwork Basilisk: The Early Revolvers of Elisha Collier and Artemas Wheeler. Written by Professor Ben Nicholson and a team of researchers, this is a groundbreaking study of the forefather of all modern revolvers. Collier and Wheeler created a true flintlock single-action revolver decades before Sam Colt’s work, but have not receiver the recognition they deserve for their innovation.

This book is publishing in two volumes, intended to be referenced together while reading. The first volume contains the core material of the story – development of the original Collier and Wheeler patents, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd model Collier revolvers, military trials, decoration and engraving, fakes and reproductions, interaction with Colt, and the other revolving firearms designs that came before and after Collier. The second volume is a catalog of all known Colliers, with photos and details of each, plus a series of useful appendices.

The book is available for preorder on Kickstarter in several different variations along with a selection of cool extra materials – check it out today!

flying_sq

Any of you guys pick up something nice during the holiday season? Geissele had a great deal on almost everything they make. Ended up with an SSA-E X trigger for $180.

Top Bottom