• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS under the consequences of YouTube ad revenue

gtabro

Saw this and thought it was worth sharing as this channel has been mentioned on the GAF numerous times and it's been pouring out content that is so well-made and researched, plus that silky narration.

Guess it's time for me to help, if you can and want, follow the links in the video's description.

Last edited:

Humdinger

A four-person staff is going to have a hard time making enough money on Youtube. Unless you are a big, already-established brand like IGN or whatever, you aren't going to get enough ad revenue to sustain four salaries. Most of the Youtubers who manage to make a living are just single individuals, not four-people teams. If you're needing Patreon donations to sustain you, the model just isn't working.

Great channel. Bummer that they can't earn what they need. I've watched their videos for years. It's a tough gig to keep going I'd wager in such a flooded market. There's hundreds of great channels that release very similar content, so while I love to check out almost every video they release, the schedule is slow that I forget they exist for a while until a new video pops up in my feed. I'll have a tendency with channels like this, that offer great stuff, to let it accumulate and then watch it in big spurts. I can't help them other than my viewership, but I do wish them the best of luck to keep going.

SenkiDala

Saw this and thought it was worth sharing as this channel has been mentioned on the GAF numerous times and it's been pouring out content that is so well-made and researched, plus that silky narration.

Guess it's time for me to help, if you can and want, follow the links in the video's description.

Tired of those fucking beggars... Find a solution by yourself, borrow money to the bank, sell your car.

What the fuck is this world where everyone ask money to strangers whenever they need ? "My cat is sick", "My car is broken"...

If your channel is failing it's either it wasn't appealing enough, you didn't do a good enough job, you didn't manage your money well... In any case this is not the responsibility of your viewers you piece of shit.

That "beggars era" that came with patreon and all those kind of sites... Seriously...

If people gave as much money to real causes like researches for cancer or other disease, it would have been eradicated a decade ago. But no "oh no MisT3R F0xX 32 cannot afford the new Tesla model, I'm gonna give him my savings"... Wtf...

Innoculis

Neo Member
Tired of those fucking beggars... Find a solution by yourself, borrow money to the bank, sell your car.

What the fuck is this world where everyone ask money to strangers whenever they need ? "My cat is sick", "My car is broken"...

If your channel is failing it's either it wasn't appealing enough, you didn't do a good enough job, you didn't manage your money well... In any case this is not the responsibility of your viewers you piece of shit.

That "beggars era" that came with patreon and all those kind of sites... Seriously...

If people gave as much money to real causes like researches for cancer or other disease, it would have been eradicated a decade ago. But no "oh no MisT3R F0xX 32 cannot afford the new Tesla model, I'm gonna give him my savings"... Wtf...
So they are supposed to entertain you for free? Everyone knows YouTube is paying shit these days. Why not toss em $5 per month and see what they can do? Cheaper than a cup of coffee.

Who said anything about savings? Giving a little cash to something you enjoy…do you go to the theater? Do you buy a video game? It’s the exact same thing.

You must be fun to hang out with.

nemiroff

Gold Member

shocked ron burgundy GIF

SenkiDala

So they are supposed to entertain you for free? Everyone knows YouTube is paying shit these days. Why not toss em $5 per month and see what they can do? Cheaper than a cup of coffee.

Who said anything about savings? Giving a little cash to something you enjoy…do you go to the theater? Do you buy a video game? It’s the exact same thing.

I don't say they're supposed to do anything for free, this is not what I meant.

But they are supposed to have a business plan, revenue by ads or by partnerships... But certainly not, in my opinion, by begging to the viewers... That's too easy, if you make management mistakes, again and again, whatever, your viewers will refill you bank account.

And I'm not also talking about a 5$ tip, even though in that case, as they are ASKING FOR IT, this is not a "tip" for me. A tip must be spontaneous, not because the person asked for it...

We have now millions of you people, mostly underaged, who give their little money to people like this just to feel they are a "part of a community" but usually being a part of a community doesn't ask you to pay for it...

I'd rather have a channel that have PEPSI cans everywhere in the video to get revenue than begging all the fucking time. Viewers already pay the content creator by VIEWING HIS VIDEO, this is what makes his views number high, this is what makes brands want partnership with them. So asking for (free) subs ok, thumbs up ok, sharing the video on SN why not, but begging for money no, fuck off.

rkofan87

Gold Member

dude wtf hater much?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't say they're supposed to do anything for free, this is not what I meant.

But they are supposed to have a business plan, revenue by ads or by partnerships... But certainly not, in my opinion, by begging to the viewers... That's too easy, if you make management mistakes, again and again, whatever, your viewers will refill you bank account.

And I'm not also talking about a 5$ tip, even though in that case, as they are ASKING FOR IT, this is not a "tip" for me. A tip must be spontaneous, not because the person asked for it...

We have now millions of you people, mostly underaged, who give their little money to people like this just to feel they are a "part of a community" but usually being a part of a community doesn't ask you to pay for it...

I'd rather have a channel that have PEPSI cans everywhere in the video to get revenue than begging all the fucking time. Viewers already pay the content creator by VIEWING HIS VIDEO, this is what makes his views number high, this is what makes brands want partnership with them. So asking for (free) subs ok, thumbs up ok, sharing the video on SN why not, but begging for money no, fuck off.

Dude. You got some serious issues.

Humdinger

Dude, take it easy. They aren't "pieces of shit" just because they're asking for Patreon support. Lots of channels do that when they're in trouble.

I don't think it'll work, but there's nothing wrong with asking for additional support.

Comandr

I admit I've never heard of this channel before, but looking into their patreon - it seems kind of scummy. They don't disclose how much they make on their patreon from their patrons, and they offer a $5,000 a month tier with a completely straight face? Gross. They also say that "This tier will roughly cover the production costs of one GVMERS video" Why does it cost $5,000 to produce one twenty minute video? I have serious questions about the handling of their funds.

Sounds like their fundamental business strategy is flawed. Should not have a four person team for the size of their channel. Most of their videos are only around 20 minutes or so, with some extending to an hour-ish. I don't see how this needs four people. They've also only produced 144 videos in seven years. At an average of 1.6 videos a month, that doesn't seem like enough volume to sustain a four person team.

Some of my favorite youtubers, Sean Seanson, Majuular, and Dungeon Chill all do long form retrospective/documentary style videos, have significantly higher output, their videos are significantly longer, they disclose how much they make on their patreons, and they do all the research, scriptwriting, recording and editing themselves.

I'm not trying to frame this as a pissing contest, but you have a three channels who combined have less than half of the subscribers that GVMERS has, and yet each of them produce longer content, more frequently, and none of them have had make a video saying that they need more money.

Throwing money at this problem won't solve it. This is just putting a band aid on cancer.

Last edited:

simpatico

It's endemic all over the west right now. People wanting and sometimes demanding jobs that just don't exist in the real world. You're just not going to make a middle class living making bespoke gaming essay video content, unless you're in the 0.1% creator talent. These guys are a perfect example. They're very good, but not elite. 0% interest rates for so long warped everyone perception of what it takes to make a comfortable living. I fear we haven't seen the worst of the fallout from this era. I think it's just beginning with tech layoffs this year. My advice for these lads is grabbing a pipe wrench, and instead of making a Bioshock retrospective with it, go and fix people's plumbing.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I admit I've never heard of this channel before, but looking into their patreon - it seems kind of scummy. They don't disclose how much they make on their patreon from their patrons, and they offer a $5,000 a month tier with a completely straight face? Gross. They also say that "This tier will roughly cover the production costs of one GVMERS video" Why does it cost $5,000 to produce one twenty minute video? I have serious questions about the handling of their funds.

Sounds like their fundamental business strategy is flawed. Should not have a four person team for the size of their channel. Most of their videos are only around 20 minutes or so, with some extending to an hour-ish. I don't see how this needs four people. They've also only produced 144 videos in seven years. At an average of 1.6 videos a month, that doesn't seem like enough volume to sustain a four person team.

Some of my favorite youtubers, Sean Seanson, Majuular, and Dungeon Chill all do long form retrospective/documentary style videos, have significantly higher output, their videos are significantly longer, they disclose how much they make on their patreons, and they do all the research, scriptwriting, recording and editing themselves.

I'm not trying to frame this as a pissing contest, but you have a three channels who combined have less than half of the subscribers that GVMERS has, and yet each of them produce longer content, more frequently, and none of them have had make a video saying that they need more money.

Throwing money at this problem won't solve it. This is just putting a band aid on cancer.

They mentioned it takes about 450 hours to make one episode split between the 4. That is little over 11 dollars an hour.

Comandr

They mentioned it takes about 450 hours to make one episode split between the 4. That is little over 11 dollars an hour.
I think this just further demonstrates how fundamentally flawed this is. If it takes 450 man hours for four people to make one twenty minute video and each of them are making the equivalent of 11 dollars an hour... its time to work at mcdonalds i guess.

SenkiDala

Dude, take it easy. They aren't "pieces of shit" just because they're asking for Patreon support. Lots of channels do that when they're in trouble.

I don't think it'll work, but there's nothing wrong with asking for additional support.
Well I am not saying that about THEM especially but about this general trend, every channel that has a revenue problem ask money money money. I found this practice shameful and it becomes so common that it is disgusting.

There are thousands of identical channels in any language, all of them thinking they are unique. If one goes it is not a big deal. There's in my opinion better causes to make donations than random video games YouTubers... :(

ReyBrujo

The 8-bit guy was complaining that he can no longer get enough money by releasing one video per month as he was used to as well while others like Hbomberguy thrives releasing one or two videos per year. Ironically gaming is a 300 billion niche market, surprised that they could be making a living releasing videos with such a low viewer count for so long. Last time I heard 10m views was like USD 50k whereas a 10m views short was like 1500.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think this just further demonstrates how fundamentally flawed this is. If it takes 450 man hours for four people to make one twenty minute video and each of them are making the equivalent of 11 dollars an hour... its time to work at mcdonalds i guess.
I don't disagree. There is something very wrong with their workload and efficiency, which is why I won't be subbing to their patreon. There are others like Majuular and MandaloreGaming that produce just as good and high quality content made by one person in quarter of the hours.

Well I am not saying that about THEM especially but about this general trend, every channel that has a revenue problem ask money money money. I found this practice shameful and it becomes so common that it is disgusting.

There are thousands of identical channels in any language, all of them thinking they are unique. If one goes it is not a big deal. There's in my opinion better causes to make donations than random video games YouTubers... :(
There are thousands of youtubers that discuss/review games and the history. Very, very, very few of them are of any quality and out of the few that are, even fewer don't try to shoehorn their ideologies into the video for easy slacktivist points.

There are always better causes to make donations to, this is nothing more than entertainment. It is no different than spending money on a game, a movie, a book, etc. If you really want to play the game of "It's a waste of money", then I am sure you haven't spent any money on extraneous hobbies before, right? Otherwise it would be highly hypocritical of you to complain if someone wants to support a youtuber.

Personally I don't have particular interest in supporting them for the reasons stated above in my reply to Comandr. However, your silly hyperbolic and overly emotional display is... disturbing. I get not caring and thinking that money could be spent better elsewhere, but you clearly have some deep-seated emotional connection to this situation.

nush

The 8-bit guy was complaining that he can no longer get enough money by releasing one video per month as he was used to

When they were first to make retro adjacent videos of a high quality that was enough. Market has changed and if you want to stand a chance at competing then you need to be at 1 a week videos. Matt McMucles can do that to cover old franchises.

Astray

Gold Member
I watched some of their videos back in the day, very formulaic and not something I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere tbh.

They need a content pivot.

Thing is, someone isn't watching for "free" tho. You watch an ad to watch the video. That's the exchange. You give something to get something.

Last edited:

violence

Rumor has it they were offered DEI investment money to keep them going a little longer but they refused. So good on them.

death-samurai.gif

Not really I made that up.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Thing is, someone isn't watching for "free" tho. You watch an ad to watch the video. That's the exchange. You give something to get something.
People are ad-blocking YouTube like crazy because they don't think they should have to pay to view content. There's a recent discussion on the topic here. It's natural that payouts will drop when people won't pay or watch ads. I use YouTube enough that it's worth it to me to pay for the ad-free service but a lot of people can't or won't.

Content creators who think their content is worth money can go to a channel membership model on YouTube or sites like floatplane.com and release there first to paying members, then release later to everyone on YouTube once they feel they've earned enough from members. That way they'll see what their content is really worth. But I don't see how a channel is going to be able to survive on base YouTube revenue releasing one video a month. If people actually watched ads or paid for ad-free viewing then maybe it could work but good luck getting people to pay.

Their videos stopped being good once they switched to the format of "The rise and fall of X"
What can they do? Their video model is already out of date compared to other youtubers. If they don't at least play the algorithm game with their main content, they fail even harder than they currently are now.

OuterLimits

To be fair, their videos in the "Rise and Fall" series tend to range between 40 and 55 minutes. They are significantly more in depth than their 20 minute videos in the "Tragedy of" series.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

But if people keep giving out money to every cause, it's not just one cup of coffee anymore...

bender

What time is it?

No horse in this race as I'm not familiar with GVMERS or the channels you mentioned, but I'd assume the former would have the edge when it comes to production value. That's not to say either is better as there are plenty of channels creating highly polished content that rings hollow (Skill-Up). I do agree with your sentiments though. I'm all for having standards of for the product you are putting out but if you can't create enough content or the content you can create doesn't garner enough viewership, it's probably time to rethink that balance.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
People are ad-blocking YouTube like crazy because they don't think they should have to pay to view content.
I have to disagree with that. I don't think more people are using ad blockers. Youtube is just flexing its muscles. Just like they cut the amount of money several times before. People use ad blockers because they are bombarded with the same irrelevant ads over and over again.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I have to disagree with that. I don't think more people are using ad blockers. Youtube is just flexing its muscles. Just like they cut the amount of money several times before. People use ad blockers because they are bombarded with the same irrelevant ads over and over again.
i think its both i have premium because i watch on the tv 80% of time and the ad breaks have gotten to bs levels.

Top Bottom