• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haiyaaaa! - Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)'s social media accounts suspended in China, probably due to commentary in upcoming comedy special

Do you love MSG?

• #teamMSG

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • MSG is the devil, Bobby Boucher!

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Haiyaaa

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Reminder to keep the discussion on topic and relevant to the current events at hand plus the general concepts of free speech, authoritarianism, and censorship. Try not to turn this into commentary that cheerleads your personal political party/ideological persuasion of choice and how it validates their geopolitical worldview or domestic policy agenda.

If you don't know who "Uncle Roger" is, he is a comedic character played by Nigel that went viral on Youtube a few years ago for criticising Jamie Oliver's recipe for fried rice.

British-Malaysian comedian Uncle Roger has had his social media accounts in China suspended amid a crackdown by authorities on comics making fun of the authoritarian government.

The comedian, whose real name is Nigel Ng, said over the weekend that his accounts on Bilibili and Weibo, where he has 400,000 followers, had been suspended due to a “violation of relevant laws and regulations”.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/feb/25/nigel-ng-review-leicester-square-theatre-london
Both Ng and his followers suggested it was due to a clip he had posted on western social media days earlier. The clip, a promo for an forthcoming show, was posted to his Twitter account with the caption “Uncle Roger about to get cancelled”. He reposted it to YouTube a few days later. The two clips have been viewed more than 8m times.

In the video clip, taken from an undated standup show, Ng, in character as Uncle Roger, asks an audience member where he comes from. The man replies that he comes from “Guangzhou, China”, to which Ng makes a face and responds “Good country! Good country!”

Here is a preview of the comedy special.

Interestingly enough, this isn't the first time Nigel has experienced drama related to Chinese censorship, but previously it was from the other side of the fence when he self-censored by deleting a video he did with another Youtuber who had made remarks critical of China.

It’s not the first time Ng, who was born in Kuala Lumpur and is now based in Britain, has had a brush with China’s often thorny politics – though on the previous occasion he was criticized as toeing Beijing’s line.

In 2021, Ng took down a video featuring YouTuber Mike Chen after previous remarks made by the Strictly Dumpling host on China’s human rights situation came to light.

Ng apologized at the time, saying the video “had made a bad social impact” and he was not aware of Chen’s “political thoughts and incorrect comments about China in the past.”

His approach then drew wide anger from activists who accused him of bowing to Beijing.

Nigel Ng has three million subscribers on YouTube where he plays the character Uncle Roger and gives a running commentary on Asian recipe videos. On Tuesday, Mr Ng apologised on Chinese social media for including Mike Chen, a popular YouTuber, in one of his videos. Mr Chen has previously spoken out about the treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang. Mr Ng's decision has led some to accuse him of pandering to China - while also leaving his fans on Chinese social media confused.

Nigel Ng. recently took to Instagram to speak up about it.

He posted an Instagram story responding to all the hate he's been getting recently.

“I’m not bowing down to anyone, especially not to all the hate comments I’m getting,” he said.

He asked those who are unsatisfied to unfollow him instead of sending him “nasty things."

He also posted a video on YouTube where he briefly addressed the issue saying that he just wants to make people laugh and not be involved in any politics or drama.

He stated that he makes "0 dollars" from Chinese social media and it broke his heart when social media users accused him of "loving RMB (Chinese currency) more than MSG (monosodium glutamate)."

Here is a Youtube interview where Mike Chen talks about the incident from his own perspective.

HoodWinked

How is this interpreted for people in China. Do they know he was banned for going against the government or does China have such a sophisticated network of censorship and disinformation that most people agree with it. Or do people know but are so demoralized that they have a feeling like this just the way it is.

Porcile

How is this interpreted for people in China. Do they know he was banned for going against the government or does China have such a sophisticated network of censorship and disinformation that most people agree with it. Or do people know but are so demoralized that they have a feeling like this just the way it is.

Everyone knows what's up. People just keep quiet for their own safety.

People know. What’s in it for them to raise a fuss, though? I don’t mean that in a cynical way.

The CCP is such a brittle-ass snowflake government.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've a hard time getting excited about a comedian losing social media access. It's not like they are jailing his family or anything.

Want that Chinese money? Gotta play by Chinese rules.
maxresdefault.jpg

Tams

Really? Why? His food videos are ace.

I could see how someone could find his food videos grating/obnoxious.

I did a little at first sometimes, but I grew to like his attitude.

There does seem something a little... odd about him sometimes though. His relationship(s) with women? I haven't really thought about it though as he's not my friend.

Durien

My friend forwarded on the fried rice video and asked me if my wife and I made fried rice like that. We were dying...

Yamisan

Wait he was banned inside China for the stuff he posted outside, which most Chinese cannot see?
The Chinese government is everywhere, and one of the comments he made during a show was to a Chinese resident visiting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom