• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Glitching: Bungie did it on purpose.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ok, after months of Halo 2 being ruined by people hacking and cheating at the game, I decided to take action and talk to a glitcher and get him to show me the ways of glitching. He set up a private custom game for just the two of us and we jumped around a couple of different maps. I should point out, this guy just exploited glitches, and did not modify his game in any way.

The first map we went to was the new multiplayer map set in Mombasa. He mostly showed me a couple of really high places that you can get to via very well timed jumps. If you think Im talking about the thing where you get on top of the building overlooking the warthog you are wrong. One of these paths involves about 12 well timed jumps (two of them are damn near impossible) that lands you on top of the tallest building in the map.. where you just so happen to be able to snipe pretty much anyone on the thing. He then showed me how to glitch through the map and run around outside of its boundries. The glitching through the map involved using a sword, so that you couldnt do in a multiplayer game, but the rest of this stuff involved level design that was obviously laid out so that you *could* just barely make the jumps. I chalk it up to intentional level design that they put in the map so that they could feel bad ass.

The next thing I saw was a phantom (or whatever the hell the convenant ship with the turret on the back is called) drive vertically up a wall... to prove it wasnt some trick he hopped out of the drivers seat and showed me exatly where to aim, hit my booster, and the next thing I know the damn thing is climbing a cliff wall.. but not only that.. the bounding box at the top of the cliff (its the new gigantic ice map) happens to have a hole that only this ship can get through (the banshee is too big).. which gets you on top of the cliff wall.. where you can then drive to the top of the large struture that makes up either base, and once again to a sniping point that overlooks the entire map. Luckily, I dont think this is a default ship for the map. Find it hard to believe all of that is pure coincidence.

Same thing works on another map... again, very bad with map names, but it is the one that is set on a red mesa looking thing where there are allways ramparts flying overhead. Except this time, at the top of the cliff if you hop off there are a series of rocks that you can jump from rock to rock to reach the top of a giant boulder (again, very well laid out rocks where you can barely make the jumps).. when you reach the top of the giant boulder, you then drop off of it onto a polygonal seam below... follow that seam to the bounding box, make a 90 degree turn and the next thing you know you can float over the top of the level.. grab a rocket launcher and no one below has a chance. This one can also be done without the covenant ship via a strange method of boost jumping off of each others head.. its hard to describe but its a bit like leapfrog, with both people getting WAY up high on the map. Once again, the well placed rocks on the top of the cliff wall lead me to believe it was on purpose.

Most of the rest of what I was shown were things called superjumps.. which are strange little patterns that you follow that when executed properly allow you to jump WAY WAY WAY up in the air, and almost allways land you on top of a large structure on the map.. like the spinning wheel thing on Zanzibar, the top of the base on Zanzibar, or the tops of other structure in maps. Its strange that these superjump points only seem to exist where they allow you to reach the top of structures you couldnt otherwise get on.

We then played a little two on two (with no glitching, I wont ever use any of this stuff in an actual game against other people, it was more of a curiosity thing) when we ran against a team that was wiping the floor with us. I thought they were simply better than us, when my teamate came over the mic informing me to go ahead and quit because they were cheating. I hadnt noticed anything wierd like a ton of headshots, jumping all over the map or any other tell tell signs, so he started another private session and proceeded to show me the following glitches

- one that leaves your charachter permanently crouched, but you move at full speed.. so you are normal speed and invisible on the radar.

- one that gives you headshots.

- one that lets you treat any weapons as though it is the sword and dash and kill people in one hit.

He told me there were more things he could show me, but he didnt want to give everything away. Some of these later things were actually glitches it seemed, but a ton of the shit that people are using to win at Halo really do apear to be easter eggs that Bungie hid in the game figuring no one would ever find them.. problem being people did find them, and the game is being hurt by them.

FWIW, I still enjoy the game, and have settled in around a level 15 or so in most game types that I actively play, which has a nice balance of decent players, but is low enough to avoid the cheaters.

ChrisReid

6304708793.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

StRaNgE

Banned
the quick super jumps never bothered me but to have every weapon as a sword would blow .

i still think the sword should act like it does in the reg game and run out as used.

also you can use the banshee to get up that spot on the snow level, it works very easy actually. if you have probs just shoot off the ends of the wings and it is even easier.

what's your gamer tag?

mine is "SeanOzz"

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wow, nice read, thanx. I love the part where your like you talked to a "glitcher" like thats his job or something lol. I'm am now overly curious as to the amount of cheats are and glicthes are possible in the game so that I know what to look for when we have our monthly 2 day Lan parties. Is there a site that carries a video of some of these exploits?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Shaheed79 said:
Wow, nice read, thanx. I love the part where your like you talked to a "glitcher" like thats his job or something lol. I'm am now overly curious as to the amount of cheats are and glicthes are possible in the game so that I know what to look for when we have our monthly 2 day Lan parties. Is there a site that carries a video of some of these exploits?

Not sure, you HBO would be the only one I would know about, and I doubt they have exploit vids up... and the glitcher and I had actually started a party to play 2 on 2 because we had been randomly thrown together and were beating the shit out of people. I then noticed him sitting on top of a building he had no buisness being on top of during a game and asked him to show me how he did it...

he sounded like a Junior High kid, so Im sure he was just waiting for someone to sound impressed by what he could do.

GhaleonEB

Shaheed79 said:

http://www.highimpacthalo.org

A very, very high-traffic site of Halo fans doing nothing but tricks and glitches.

Lots of stuff is in there on purpose, like the skulls and the Scarab Gun. Methinks glitches are just that.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
StoOgE said:
Not sure, you HBO would be the only one I would know about, and I doubt they have exploit vids up... and the glitcher and I had actually started a party to play 2 on 2 because we had been randomly thrown together and were beating the shit out of people. I then noticed him sitting on top of a building he had no buisness being on top of during a game and asked him to show me how he did it...

he sounded like a Junior High kid, so Im sure he was just waiting for someone to sound impressed by what he could do.

And he was a youngin at that huh? I don't have XBL otherwise I would ask you to show me some of the stuff he showed you. Really enjoyed the read though.

http://www.highimpacthalo.org

A very, very high-traffic site of Halo fans doing nothing but tricks and glitches.

Lots of stuff is in there on purpose, like the skulls and the Scarab Gun. Methinks glitches are just that.

Thanks I'll go check it out.

Top Bottom