• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Nere

I see. Maybe one of the new units coming through dlc will address the absence of the vampires...

Or just a nerf to sentinels.

Is it confirmed that they will add new units? Thought it was only leaders and campaign missions.

m23

Is it confirmed that they will add new units? Thought it was only leaders and campaign missions.

Yeah:

The Halo Wars 2 Season Pass delivers regular content updates that span more than six months, including: new leaders with abilities that change the course of multiplayer battles, new units that add to your multiplayer arsenal, and a new campaign expansion featuring exclusive missions. Available as part of the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, or available separately for $29.99 USD, the Halo Wars 2 Season Pass will offer incredible value for fans, extending long after launch.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/14/halo-wars-2-ultimate-edition-season-pass-halo-wars-definitive-edition-detailed/

Nere

Yeah:

The Halo Wars 2 Season Pass delivers regular content updates that span more than six months, including: new leaders with abilities that change the course of multiplayer battles, new units that add to your multiplayer arsenal, and a new campaign expansion featuring exclusive missions. Available as part of the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, or available separately for $29.99 USD, the Halo Wars 2 Season Pass will offer incredible value for fans, extending long after launch.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/14/halo-wars-2-ultimate-edition-season-pass-halo-wars-definitive-edition-detailed/

They probably mean leader specific units like the sentinels or the grizzlies doubt they will add new units to the factions.

Werd

Only had time the last couple days to play my daily challenges post patch, but haven't crashed or disconnected yet which is a relief. I've heard if some bugs like upgraded UNSC bases not reporting damage correctly and upgrade resource pads not showing in the text though.
Patch still not out for PC?
Checked this morning and it is up now. Fingers crossed my stuttering/freezing goes away on top of the OOS stuff I assume will.

m23

Only had time the last couple days to play my daily challenges post patch, but haven't crashed or disconnected yet which is a relief. I've heard if some bugs like upgraded UNSC bases not reporting damage correctly and upgrade resource pads not showing in the text though.

Checked this morning and it is up now. Fingers crossed my stuttering/freezing goes away on top of the OOS stuff I assume will.

Yeah I played a few matches last night and had those bugs. Damage didn't look accurate on the bars and upgraded supply pads and generators didn't say advanced or anything.

Fun matches though, loving the PvP. Blitz is way too unbalanced for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had some fun Blitz matches' last night. Lost one 177-176 in sudden death. Got stomped several times by some high level dudes though.

Nere

Just played a multiplayer game on PC can confirm it runs way way better now although I noticed some bugs, supply pads and generators don't say advanced or heavy anymore when upgraded. I played against a guy amassing sentinels... countered him with cutter and just mass marines he got annihilated, felt good. Performance is great now try it. Anyone else has the bug though of not being able to change their graphic options? The game asks to restart to confirm the changes and then the options revert back after the restart...

Anon67

RIP EARS

Seriously, careful with headphones. This is the first bug I met in a game that caused me literal pain. That's something I guess.

A friend and I had similar issues as well. At one point, for me at least, all audio started to sound like an extremely high-pitched noise for a couple of minutes. Definitely took me aback for a second lol.

Anion

Just played a multiplayer game on PC can confirm it runs way way better now although I noticed some bugs, supply pads and generators don't say advanced or heavy anymore when upgraded. I played against a guy amassing sentinels... countered him with cutter and just mass marines he got annihilated, felt good. Performance is great now try it. Anyone else has the bug though of not being able to change their graphic options? The game asks to restart to confirm the changes and then the options revert back after the restart...

I noticed none of the generators or supply pads say advanced or heavy. You have to now select them and then it will show their names. Kinda weird

FyreWulff

I've won so many games in blitz either Three Stooges-ing all 3 cap points with jackrabbits as people chase me because they forget it's instant capping, or we gain a massive cushion because they, for some reason, pull their army back (not even to heal, just back a bit) and we're like "okay we'll just take the points and gain that 3x speed"

Nere

Okey so I started playing multiplayer on this game got 7 wins in a row and got to level 4, so then the game pitted me against a fucking level 48 guy to break my win streak but I beat him too! but wtf level 4 against level 48 really fair. Found a really nice strategy the enemy has 0 chance.

Ataxia

I haven't played any multiplayer yet. Just skirmish matched against the AI

From what I can tell the game doesn't really lend itself well to those of us who turtle in RTS games. Everyone is rushing which is boring. I like huge hour+ long battles. Though the game doesn't even support saving part way through skirmishes (C&C let me do that more than a decade ago, come on 343i), nor does it let me go up against 5 other AI without teams. These are basic things that have been ignored for whatever reason

Also I wish there was more of an emphasis on base building. Lemme build things wherever I want. Would improve the game so much. Not like there's much strategy going on now outside of unit selection anyway. I remember an old build of Halo Wars 1 where they had this but it was reworked into what we have now

Also they really needed to implement another race. Throw the Flood in there or something, I don't know. I'd honestly argue the original game has far more content and variety right now, which is insane. Sequels are supposed to expand upon the original, nonetheless ones that are released almost a decade later. No excuse.!

Then we have the campaign. Rushed as all hell. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we've got a solid RTS game coming from MS in 2017, but as a package the game is such a disappointment.

Nere

I haven't played any multiplayer yet. Just skirmish matched against the AI

From what I can tell the game doesn't really lend itself well to those of us who turtle in RTS games. Everyone is rushing which is boring. I like huge hour+ long battles. Though the game doesn't even support saving part way through skirmishes (C&C let me do that more than a decade ago, come on 343i), nor does it let me go up against 5 other AI without teams. These are basic things that have been ignored for whatever reason

Also I wish there was more of an emphasis on base building. Lemme build things wherever I want. Would improve the game so much. Not like there's much strategy going on now outside of unit selection anyway. I remember an old build of Halo Wars 1 where they had this but it was reworked into what we have now

Also they really needed to implement another race. Throw the Flood in there or something, I don't know. I'd honestly argue the original game has far more content and variety right now, which is insane. Sequels are supposed to expand upon the original, nonetheless ones that are released almost a decade later. No excuse.!

Then we have the campaign. Rushed as all hell. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we've got a solid RTS game coming from MS in 2017, but as a package the game is such a disappointment.

I agree with somethings you say disagree with others. Yes rush seems to be the way to go but you can play defensively. The fact that you cannot save is sad but you can play against multiple enemies at once in skirmish games, I know because I have done that 1v2. As for the race yeah needed a 3rd race but not the flood maybe they could add the old normal covenant faction from halo wars 1, since the new covenant and the old are enemies it would make sense. Pretty sure this game has more content than the first, I mean there are more units and the leaders are way more fleshed out with unique units, powers etc. I like it for what it is an improved version of the first game it could be better but I can't complain right now either.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but I haven't noticed any true all in rushes.

A decent build order that includes making units while you build a base isn't a rush, but an efficient use of resources. Not building units early means you'll need to build even more buildings that can build units in the future to catch up which cost additional money, especially in this game where that additional building means one less resource gathering building. And because unit caps are low, you are forced to used those units pretty quickly.

In my experience, all in rushes are pretty difficult in this game, and you probably need a better build order if you're getting killed by them, unless someone found a way I haven't seen yet. Every equally matched game is going to have one side be the aggressor that needs to do damage before the other side's economy is too much too handle, but the gap between aggressor and defender seems a lot smaller in this game than most.

That said, turtling is almost impossible in this game. The unit cap is very low, and map control is both extremely important and requires being very active and mobile. That's just the type of game it is. It's designed so that a 1 hour long game is one where both sides keep killing each other's armies and expansions over and over again, with the action starting between the 5 to 10 minute mark.

And I kinda like that, because honestly, for me, my least favorite strategy matches are the ones where I have to deal with people who build a million walls and turrets forever.

FyreWulff

Most RTS is rush v rush in competitive gameplay. Wars just embraces it fully.

I mean, as fun as building fences and laying down concrete are, you never used them in C&C. Those were mostly for Campaign.

One of the most hilarious rushes to do though was building Hand of Nods across the map leapfrogging and pumping out soldiers as you went so you could just mass engi their base.

Same with Wars not having base building. They're embracing being an arcade RTS and a lot of the building placement in RTSes is so rote and strictly optimized that you might as well have fixed base slots anyway. Like, C&C got to the point where they outright just had you build the Refinery right next to the node, and even had it specifically animated to go back and forth instantly with turning the Harvest around on a spinning plate, lol. Wars fits nicely as a different RTS in my strategy pallet next to the more realistic/micro ones.

I wish you could switch the Dpad functionality for right trigger. I'd rather have groups instantly available and push the rally point/locswitch to Right Trigger held.

Also for god's sake fix the pathing for Kodiaks.

Werd

Pax Panel said ranked is on track for next week and gave details/footage on Kinsano's (first DLC) units/abilities. She was also said to be "as soon as next week" and a balance patch may come out with it.

Said some of the DLC leaders will be fan favorites and others silly. The silhouette on the slide looked like a hunter.

Fuchsdh

Pax Panel said ranked is on track for next week and gave details/footage on Kinsano's (first DLC) units/abilities. She was also said to be "as soon as next week".

Said some of the DLC leaders will be fan favorites and others silly. The silhouette on the slide looked like a hunter.

Sounds good. We've already got Zombie Forge, I will take Zombie Johnson any day.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, as fun as building fences and laying down concrete are, you never used them in C&C. Those were mostly for Campaign.

One of the most hilarious rushes to do though was building Hand of Nods across the map leapfrogging and pumping out soldiers as you went so you could just mass engi their base.

Same with Wars not having base building. They're embracing being an arcade RTS and a lot of the building placement in RTSes is so rote and strictly optimized that you might as well have fixed base slots anyway. Like, C&C got to the point where they outright just had you build the Refinery right next to the node, and even had it specifically animated to go back and forth instantly with turning the Harvest around on a spinning plate, lol. Wars fits nicely as a different RTS in my strategy pallet next to the more realistic/micro ones.

I wish you could switch the Dpad functionality for right trigger. I'd rather have groups instantly available and push the rally point/locswitch to Right Trigger held.

I think the main difference for the building placements is firstly about capping how many buildings you can build, while the removal of being able to strategize your building locations is a far second.

It's another thing that really encourages you to go out and attack, while turtles in other games like to not just reach the maximum unit population with maximum tech, but also have a billion buildings that can rebuild that entire army in like one build cycle, and that's very much not possible here

And I would really love that Right Trigger change too. I'm bad enough as it is about using control groups in PC RTS, and making it a two button combo is just too much for me in the heat of the moment.

Fuchsdh

Pretty sure there's a preference toggle to do just that, actually.

Lucifon

RIP EARS

Seriously, careful with headphones. This is the first bug I met in a game that caused me literal pain. That's something I guess.
There's a bunch of new bugs after this update which happen in almost every game. It's like they've fixed a few things and just broke a bunch more, pretty frustrating.

FyreWulff

I hope they never get rid of the vs AI playlist. Compstomping is a good vent after a long day.

(and then you lose because nobody knows how to play the point capture gametype)

Akoi

Got hooked playing this last night, though it seems like most games I played led to a scarab vs condor match of cat and mouse..

Sort of makes me like the first game more because the condor doesn't exist and the scarab isn't as powerful.

m23

Got hooked playing this last night, though it seems like most games I played led to a scarab vs condor match of cat and mouse..

Sort of makes me like the first game more because the condor doesn't exist and the scarab isn't as powerful.

I've been able to take out scarabs without too much difficulty. It becomes tough if the scarab is accompanied by a tonne of engineers though.

Fuchsdh

I've been able to take out scarabs without too much difficulty. It becomes tough if the scarab is accompanied by a tonne of engineers though.

Which is basically the lame strat of HW1, haha. Throwing down the pelican air support is the most effective strat I've found for cleaning up the Engineers quickly. The Scarabs are way bigger in this game and thus much harder to control, so really the best strategy is to just dump units around it and make it sit there and take it.

FyreWulff

Damn, wish i'd streamed my last game. down 110-20 or so in 1v1 Blitz, came back and won it by mindgaming the other guy and then quickcapping the other points while he was distracted fighting a Condor.

FyreWulff

Annnnd just tried a new deck of all the cheapest units for Isabel plus the Condor.

9olMuqGl.png

first time i've ever blanked someone

Top Bottom