• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handheld Sega Genesis / Mega Drive that plays original carts announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hyperkin-Genesis2-1160x653-1-1024x576.webp

Mega_95_w_Dock_Media_Image_Smaller.jpg

The Mega 95 from Hyperkin is an entirely portable system that will support all officially released cartridges for Sega’s system. According to The Verge, the machine is based on the currently existing MegaRetroN HD Gaming Console from Hyperkin, which is also compatible with the Sega Mega Drive.

The Mega 95 will also come with a Nintendo Switch-like dock which will allow players to plug the machine into their television and connect additional controllers. The machine can toggle between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio an comes with a 5-inch display. The Mega 95 is claimed to have a battery life of around 10 hour from a full charge.

A release date or pricing information for the Mega 95 has yet to be confirmed by Hyperkin.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like that it allows you to hook up controllers to its dock. That's pretty cool. Seems like an odd device to make, though.

Saber

Gold Member
Wish people could do better with the d-pad. Must be an american thing don't caring about d-pads...

Anyway, looks rather bulky. Not sure it would be confortable to play with a cart on it. Willing to believe that it doesn't run good at all judging later experiences.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Speaking as a complete mark ass mark for stuff like this, I personally don't see the appeal.

If you cannot get me to buy your niche product (one that plays carts you cannot find for anything close to a decent price any more) who is going to buy this?

Orrrrrrrrr

It is such an unwanted product that it will be rare....I better get it.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We had that in 1995. This thing probably only has a better battery life and worse everything else. Is it even a clone system or just emulation + cartridge slot? Looks like something that should be called Superwitch and sold to poor ignorant grandmas a la PolyStations back in the day or something.
Wish people could do better with the d-pad. Must be an american thing don't caring about d-pads...
I mean, looks wise it resembles the best d-pad ever made, as on Sega Saturn classic gamepads. I'm sure it's gonna be trash like the rest of the product, just saying how it looks which is all we have to go on. And it does look a bit different, non curved edges, cheap plastic etc, but the internals matter.
133196m_131200m.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I mean, looks wise it resembles the best d-pad ever made, as on Sega Saturn classic gamepads. I'm sure it's gonna be trash like the rest of the product, just saying how it looks which is all we have to go on. And it does look a bit different, non curved edges, cheap plastic etc, but the internals matter.
133196m_131200m.jpg

It doesn't mean this could end being a good thing though. Could be pretty much worse.

StereoVsn

Meh, you can get basically the same--and better--form factor with an Anbernic RG-ARC and not have to deal with the costs or hassle of aging physical carts.

dde48a7a609347cbd042dbfee136f2a.jpg
Yep, for 16bit emulation plus some 2D 32bit PS1 and Saturn games, this would be great. Wish it had a bit bigger screen though.

Top Bottom