• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handicaps: When "Hard" isn't hard enough.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When the game's normal difficulty becomes too easy, you can still make it hard again by imposing certain rules on your play. What handicaps do you give yourself to keep a game interesting?

Two to start off:

Megaman X - Normally I can beat this in 60 minutes getting everything and not dying once.
Handicap: No powerups. No weapons. All you are allowed to use is the X-Buster and your default health, and all you are allowed to have is what the game forces you to have. Powerplant stage must be done before Airport, and Ice stage is off limits until every other stage is completed, but after that you can use dash. Under these rules I've managed to get to the third Sigma stage, but I wonder if I can actually beat the game without any reserve tanks. (EDIT: Apparently it is, you don't have to trade hits with the wolf)

Valkyrie Profile - Even under "Hard" this game isn't really taxing, primarily because of Event EXP... which I've chosen to do without this time around. Haven't gotten too far, but I imagine it'll actually get difficult to meet requirements later on as I won't be able to just dump a lot of spare experience points onto a new character. I'm also thinking about having only Lenneth be allowed to have Guts.

RPGs in general - I hate leveling up, so usually my first run through an RPG is a lot harder than it would be for other people. Makes it a tad more interesting too.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thief Series: No one can be *hurt*, I can never be seen, I can't save within the mission. This is called "ghosting" a level.

It's sometimes impossible during certain points of each of the games but it can be very rewarding.

That's the only "EXTREME" handicap I've used lately (thanks to Thief: DS).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've tried playing r type delta without a force pod -- and apparently it's actually possible to get to the last boss that way -- but i've never gotten very far. i consider myself pretty good at that game, but i can't imagine how you'd get through level 6 completely naked.

and i restrict myself to perfect runs in ninja five-o: take no hits, use no magic, rescue all hostages.

ohamsie

My favorite handicap in megaman x was to never charge the megabuster, and to never use rapid fire on the bosses. I would shoot one pellet, and wait for it to hit the boss before I fired another one. I stopped when I beat all the robot masters because Sigma's fortress isn't as fun as the rest of the game to me.

Top Bottom