• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-On With Apple's New iPadOS Software

CyberPanda

Banned
With the launch of iOS 13, Apple decided to split iOS 13 for the iPad into its own dedicated operating system called iPadOS. Going forward, iPadOS will be the version of iOS that runs on Apple's iPad devices.

iPadOS includes all of the features of iOS 13, plus some additional tweaks and changes made specifically for a device with a larger display. In our latest video, we went hands-on with iPadOS to check out the new features.

As mentioned above, iPadOS includes almost all of the iOS 13 features, such as Dark Mode, Find My, new app updates, Sign In with Apple, and more.

There are also iPad-specific features, though, such as a new Home screen that features smaller app icons so you can fit more apps on each page. The new Home screen also lets you move the Today view widgets from the left side of the screen onto the Home screen itself so you can see at-a-glance info like weather, upcoming events, news headlines, and more, whenever your iPad is in landscape mode.

Multitasking features specific to the iPad have also been overhauled. Split View now supports multiple windows from the same app, so you can do things like view two Safari pages side by side, and in Slide Over, you can now have multiple Slide Over windows open, flipping between them as needed for quicker swapping between apps.

You can keep all the apps you need to access occasionally stored in Slide Over, dragging upwards on the display to see everything that's open. App Exposé, a new feature available when you press on an app's icon, is designed to show you all of the windows from a particular app.

Apple improved Apple Pencil latency, dropping it from 20ms to 9ms, and Markup is more deeply integrated everywhere in iPadOS. You can tap on the corner of the display with an Apple Pencil to open up Markup, which can be used for webpages, documents, screenshots, emails, and more. A redesigned tool palette offers up quick access to tools and color palettes, and there's a new ruler and a new pixel eraser.

Like iOS 13, iPadOS brings support for external drives to the Files app, along with new folder sharing capabilities. A Column View lets you see previews of your files, and Quick Actions support allows you to do things like mark up and rotate images and create PDFs right from the Files app.

Safari has a new download manager and will always load the desktop version of a site, and there are new gestures that while also available on iPhone, work well on the iPad's larger display. Scrolling through long documents and webpages is faster through a new gesture that lets you grab the scroll bar and drag it, and selecting text can now be done by dragging a finger over it.

Selecting a word can be done with a double tap, selecting a sentence can be done with a triple tap, and a quadruple tap selects a paragraph at once. Double tapping selects elements like phone numbers and email addresses, and you can now pick up the cursor and move it wherever you want. There are new pinch-based gestures for copy and paste, and a new three finger swipe for undoing and redoing.

Both iPadOS and iOS 13 introduce a new swipe-based keyboard called the QuickPath keyboard, but in iPadOS, you can grab the keyboard and move it wherever you want on the display for a floating keyboard that offers one-handed typing access.

Used with macOS Catalina, the iPad can become a second display for your Mac thanks to the new Sidecar functionality, and the iPad now supports both mice and Xbox/PS4 game controllers.

For more detail on iPadOS, make sure to check out our iPadOS roundup.

Holy shit this is actually really impressive. Can’t watch the video, but when they say it supports mice, is that in games only or have they included a mouse cursor?

Ovek

7Member7
Yeah i've got the developer preview on my iPad pro, it's finally getting some features that people have been begging Apple for.

Holy shit this is actually really impressive. Can’t watch the video, but when they say it supports mice, is that in games only or have they included a mouse cursor?

Mouse support is an Accessibility feature the cursor is a massive target and just acts like your finger. The only reason they have added it is because a lot of assisted pointing devices for disabled people are generic HID USB devices in an effort maximise OS/Hardware compatibility. iPadOS makes no effort to change the way it works to accommodate a mouse, it's not a power user feature.

Skyr

Mouse support is an Accessibility feature the cursor is a massive target and just acts like your finger. The only reason they have added it is because a lot of assisted pointing devices for disabled people are generic HID USB devices in an effort maximise OS/Hardware compatibility. iPadOS makes no effort to change the way it works to accommodate a mouse, it's not a power user feature.
So it actually wont act like a PC mouse in games like GTA San Andreas for example?

Either way this is a very impressive update. These features make a laptop pretty much obsolete for me personally.
I'm still on an 2016 IPad Pro 12.9 but I will definitely Update on the 2020 version when it arrives.

Ovek

7Member7
So it actually wont act like a PC mouse in games like GTA San Andreas for example?

At the moment you would literally need to click and drag on the virtual analogue stick in the corner of the screen.

I have a feeling like they are slowly merging the mac and ipad to be more mac like and vice versa.

Apple supposedly are very much against that idea. At the moment they are just adding features to the iPad to justify the "pro" monicker they stuck on some of them.

Last edited:

llien

Amazing stuff.
Only 5 years older than Android Tablets.

Nearly as cool as Galaxy Tab S5e, and only twice as pricey, chuckle.

Looks really compelling. Using this as a second screen for a Mac.

Microsoft better pull out some wicked shit for the next surface products at a good value!

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Amazing stuff.
Only 5 years older than Android Tablets.

Nearly as cool as Galaxy Tab S5e, and only twice as pricey, chuckle.

You say that like Android tablets have had the edge, but the iPad has generally had the upper hand in mobile tablets for a long time. Not so much due to individual features (multi-window and home screen widgets have been around for longer on Android, of course) as a far superior app ecosystem.

It still baffles me that Google's 'support' for Android tablets boils down to a few lines of code for devs and maybe, occasionally you'll see a section for tablet-native apps on the Play Store. So even most major apps don't have true native tablet support, and those that do you'd never know because there's no reliable way to find tablet-native apps on Google's shop. And no, blown-up phone apps don't always do the job. Contrast that with the iPad, where Apple encourages real tablet-native app development, and makes sure that you see iPad-native apps by default on the App Store.

Also, the iPad Pro is a purposefully high-end tablet that completely kicks the S5e's ass. If you want a more comparable tablet it's likely to be the newer iPad Air, which still smokes the S5e in performance. I just wish Apple would embrace USB-C on all its tablets (and its phones, for that matter).

llien

You say that like Android tablets have had the edge, but the iPad has generally had the upper hand in mobile tablets for a long time.
No OLED no buy.
Besides laughable feature set on ipads.

And yeah, Samsung phone's released back in 2014 had "split screen" multitasking support.

...far superior app ecosystem...
That wonderful ecosystem, that doesn't let you replace default apple apps, cause, you know, it's so wonderful.

It still baffles me that Google's 'support' for Android tablets boils down to a few lines of code for devs and maybe, occasionally you'll see a section for tablet-native apps on the Play Store. So even most major apps don't have true native tablet support, and those that do you'd never know because there's no reliable way to find tablet-native apps on Google's shop. And no, blown-up phone apps don't always do the job. Contrast that with the iPad, where Apple encourages real tablet-native app development, and makes sure that you see iPad-native apps by default on the App Store.
Have you ever developed for either platform?
Because I did.

There is native Android code.
"Native android tablet app" doesn't exist. It's just about target resolution/ppi.

If you want a more comparable tablet it's likely to be the newer iPad Air, which still smokes the S5e in performance.
I love how there is always a benchmark out there, to show how "shiny" mediocre apple stuff is.
S5e is simply amazing build quality with stunning screen, iPads look bulky and bleak next to it.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Besides laughable feature set on ipads.

Care to elaborate on that? Or is that just a sweeping generalization? I'll admit OLED would be nice, but a 120Hz LCD more than makes up for that in my view.

That wonderful ecosystem, that doesn't let you replace default apple apps, cause, you know, it's so wonderful.

Didn't say that wasn't an issue, but the fact is that there are many more iPad-native apps than there are tablet-native Android apps, and iPad apps tend to be more polished.

Have you ever developed for either platform?
Because I did.

There is native Android code.
"Native android tablet app" doesn't exist. It's just about target resolution.

Didn't say there wasn't code, just that what code is there isn't enough. And Google certainly doesn't do much to court tablet developers beyond that.

I love how there is always a benchmark out there, to show how "shiny" mediocre apple stuff is.

S5e is simply amazing build quality with stunning screen, iPads look bulky and bleak next to it.

It's not just "a benchmark," it's in virtually every regard. You know damn well that faster performance lets you do more, and do it better.

The S5e does have great build quality and a wonderful screen for the money. But at a certain point you have to stop staring at your tablet and actually do something with it, and that's where the S5e falls short.

llien

Care to elaborate on that? Or is that just a sweeping generalization? I'll admit OLED would be nice, but a 120Hz LCD more than makes up for that in my view.
When forced to use them, I just keep running into "can you do that" - "nope".
From easy way to swithc on wifi / GPS to how to lock screen position ("but there is a button for that")

Didn't say there wasn't code, just that what code is there isn't enough. And Google certainly doesn't do much to court tablet developers beyond that.
That simply isn't true, besides, with number of apps well beyond 1 million, numbers do not matter, no human being will ever see even 10% of them.

As someone using tablet basically daily, I don't agree with that assessment.
Most apps I use do not look like oversized phone apps.
In fact, I can't recall a single one that does.

It's not just "a benchmark," it's in virtually every regard. You know damn well that faster performance lets you do more, and do it better.
On CPU side of thing, neither tablet has issues with performance.
Samsung might be lacking on 3D sides of things in certain games (not sure what to attribute it too, as I only seen it in games in youtube reviews, never had any perf problem on even S2).

The S5e does have great build quality and a wonderful screen for the money. But at a certain point you have to stop staring at your tablet and actually do something with it, and that's where the S5e falls short.
Let's agree to disagree here. Screen quality is something that you experience all the time you use tablets.
Running into performance issues, on the other hand, takes some creativity to run into (I might be biased here as I don't do much 3D gaming on tablets)

Last edited:
I never liked the closed ecosystem of Apple, but I do like their build quality. I have owned Android and Apple devices and work with the daily. I have seen more issues with Android devices (specifically Samsung) than I have ever experienced with Apple. It's usually the touch screen functionality and battery life that goes down the gutter for Android devices, but we have iPad's that we bought probably 5+ years ago that still run like they're brand new.

Each brand has their pros and cons. Android is known for being more open about what you can remove from your device, but that is also not entirely true. I have worked with mobile providers who enforce application policies on leased phones where you can't even remove those applications. Sure, you can root your device and install a whole new OS - but the average user is not going to do that. Enthusiasts will happily root/jailbreak/etc but the average user which makes up the majority is not going to do that.

Apple (now) provides continued updates for iPhone 5(?) to the latest generation. Android is dependent on manufacture and/or mobile provider, unless you have the Pixel which even then may still be dependent on your mobile provider.

Top Bottom