• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harada has shared that Europe accounts for half of Tekken's sales (51%), while America contributes approximately 30% | Franchise sales sits at 55M

Worth keeping in mind this piece of info regarding total franchise sales as the interview was held prior to Tekken 8 release.

Umxvwex.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing that remaining 20% is rest of the world (including south America?).
So, usa cares more about chunli's ass than nina's?

I would not have guessed that ratio. Mortal Kombat/ Injustice and Killer Instinct are two important IPs for the genre, made in the West. But I assumed the main market for fighting games is Japan itself, since they make more. Maybe if we count MMA, WWE, Fight Night too... But shouldn't there be made more fighting games in Europe if Europeans like that stuff? When assuming this ratio is somewhat true for the other IPs too.

yazenov

Wish he shared the breakdown by platforms for Tekken 8 so we can have a little fun.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Some people want the world burn all the time.
The console version of Tekken was born on PlayStation and is a fighting series. Logically speaking, it’s expected to do far, FAR better on that platform.

If things burned from that, it’s down to pointless gloating and/or meltdowns (again, neither of which would make any sense).

So that 70% or so from America interested in 3d fighting games that isn't buying Tekken obviously wants more Virtua Fighter.

Not really, japan has much less than half the population of the US, which in turn also has much less than half of Europe's population.

This^

The fact that Tekken 8 isn't on Switch probably hurts it as well, but then again, the Switch couldn't handle the game.

This is a reason why it is imperative for Sony to release a PS5 Handheld, which could be a major boon to Japanese game publishers.

I'm guessing that remaining 20% is rest of the world (including south America?).
So, usa cares more about chunli's ass than nina's?

Chun-Li does have the better ass so yea.

No shade to Nina tho; she's looking really fine herself.

So that 70% or so from America interested in 3d fighting games that isn't buying Tekken obviously wants more Virtua Fighter.

VF's never been that popular in America outside of VF4 which was ages ago.

And that was with the PS2 port, obviously, not the NAOMI 2 arcade version.

Last edited:
Oh how I used to adore Tekken. It was one of the first titles I got for my PS1 in 1996, alongside Alien Trilogy, Mortal Kombat 3, Criticom and another title that eludes me. As well as a red demo disc.

I used to play Tekken religiously. All the way to Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. Then I saw Tekken 6 and thought, what the hell is this shit? And that.... that was the beginning of the end folks. Have bought a Tekken game since Tag Tournament 2. Probably won't again whilst it remains how it is.

Dane

IIRC it has been since Tekken 7, it's the default to go fighting game in the region.

Last edited:
Everyone loves VF. It's undeniable.

Outside of Japan I'd say sales haven't neccessarily reflected that, sadly.

I do hope for VF6 they stick to realistic martial arts (even doing stuff like a tournament mode or dojo mode where you learn real-life martial arts techniques from the various characters), but they'll probably need to add a bit more flair to the story and characterization, as well as default costumes.

VF4 EVO should be the blueprint in going forward with VF style-wise; that game had a great sense of style and substance. VF5 lost some of the style and I think that hurt it in various global markets.

Top Bottom