• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest boss fights, Sister Friede, Nameless King, Orphan of Kos, Darkeater Midir Or Malenia

which was the toughest boss battle for you?

• Sister Friede

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Nameless King

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Orphan of Kos

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Darkeater Midir

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Malenia

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Isshin the Sword Saint

Votes: 31 20.5%

• Total voters

Skifi28

Haven't finished ER yet, but out of all the others I'd go with Friede. Isshin took me much longer to beat, but there was nothing unfair about it. Just a matter of learning his moves and practice, whenever I failed I knew it was me. Friede on the other hand while not as difficult mechanically was absolute bullshite. It felt like a boss built for bloodborne's speed but put in a different game and then phase 2 was just insufferable with everything going on.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I know that with the spirits Malenia like any other boss in ER become ridiculously easy but in a fair fight it's by far the hardest. It's actually too much but it's not the only boss in ER that is like that with ridiculous patterns (others don't have high damage or broken mechanics like the health absorbtion though). Elden Ring is a frustrating game in that regard, the combat system went to its limits.
A "fair fight" means nothing when the game is designed around the mechanics. Bosses in Elden Ring have such long, highly damaging, and delayed combos exactly because there are so many ways to deal with them. Spirit Ashes are as fair as used busted Ashes of War. Hell, against Malenia, the easiest method isn't even Spirit Ashes.

Before their nerf, Swarm of Flies, Hoarfrost Stomp, and Rivers of Blood absolutely shredded her, and even an unskilled player could beat her with those tools.

Malenia is overtuned to counter-balance the countless options the player has to cheese her.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Malenia was far and away the easiest of those bosses for me. My Blasphemous Blade Faith/Strength build tore her apart. I also used my mimic tear. In that regard I feel it makes it an unfair comparison. Sister Friede was the hardest fight for me. Nameless King isn't far behind

I recently replayed every From Soulsborne game, and the hardest boss in the series (for me) was undoubtedly Sister Friede, due to the fact that it's three phases, and one of the phases is basically a Smough & Ornstein fight which are pretty tough solo.

Second place would be Isshin due to the near-perfection required to succeed (especially with the Bell). Probably my favorite boss in the series.

Orphan of Kos would probably be third.

Honorable mention goes to Fume Knight from Dark Souls 2 DLC, especially if you fucked up like me and made it so I could only utilize half of the boss arena due to misusing key items.

And Malenia isn't even on the map, honestly. The 'hardest' part about her is that she heals when she hits you, which isn't really a concern for my playstyle (extremely low equip load so getting hit even once is probably death).

ungalo

A "fair fight" means nothing when the game is designed around the mechanics. Bosses in Elden Ring have such long, highly damaging, and delayed combos exactly because there are so many ways to deal with them. Spirit Ashes are as fair as used busted Ashes of War. Hell, against Malenia, the easiest method isn't even Spirit Ashes.

Before their nerf, Swarm of Flies, Hoarfrost Stomp, and Rivers of Blood absolutely shredded her, and even an unskilled player could beat her with those tools.

Malenia is overtuned to counter-balance the countless options the player has to cheese her.
I do think there was nothing more broken than spirits at launch really, besides one or two precise builds probably. I don't think that beating Malenia alone with river of blood was easier than beating her with mimic tear (but i didn't try river of blood i can't say).

Yes but they didn't really alter the substance of the gameplay. You can tell the devs want you to approach it like any other Souls game but if you find it too difficult you can use some notable elements that make the fight more easy but also pretty chaotic or dull to play. Besides that they probably fucked up the balance for some mechanics, hence why they made updates.

I said fair to be concise. I didn't mean to say that someone who beat Malenia with spirits is doing something unfair. As you said it's in the game, you have options. But that's where this game lost itself between action and RPG for me, because again you get a very strong feeling that there is a dominant style of play the game is based on. While the strategy you can make are as you say "cheese", mostly very weird to use and not that interesting. For some people that's one of the biggest quality of the game and i get it but for me personally not so much.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So it's probably my own fault but I felt like barely any ninja techniques worked against Isshin, I fought him over 30 times the first playthrough and had to resort to bashing my head against the wall using simple clever dodging, distance based queues and perfect parrying to eventually beat him. It was one of those bosses that when I won I literally didn't think I could do it again if I had the chance.

I did go on to beat the game a couple of times more but man that dude was rough.

M1987

Well 1 starter and then a 3 phase fight. It’s brutal. But Sasha Gray can do it. So you can too.
I'm on lone shadow vilehand,so I don't know how far I am from the end,but four phases against arguably the hardest souls boss sounds awful,but I'll beat him

j0hnnix

Malenia, the most amazing but insanely frustrating fights I've had to deal with. It caused multiple changes in play style and adjustments pre patch.

laynelane

I'd have to go with Midir too. I've beaten him exactly once and have no idea how to replicate that to this day. I know he has a moveset which is readable, but I find I have trouble just getting out of his way far too often. As well, any mistake is either death or near-death and his massive health pool and defense just makes the fight an endurance contest which is not the most fun for me.

Although not mentioned on your list, the fight that took the most tries for me (and I mean LOTS of tries) was Amygdala in the cursed dungeon (Bloodborne). I had to change my playstyle to a much more patient one, but it was a great feeling when I finally beat the boss.

SSI is so hard because it being a four-phase fight is such a mindfuck. By the last phase im a wreck.
I get the psychological aspect, but it didn't fuck with me nearly as much as other multi stage fights, like say Friede/Ariandel or Ludwig (granted I found Ludwig only mildly difficult). In those multi stage fights, each stage was extremely different from the others, so getting to a new stage in the fight meant learning entirely new enemy attack patterns.

SSI by comparison felt like a Lady Maria style multi stage fight in which the boss gradually adds to their arsenal rather than completely changing it, with the exception of the initial Genichiro phase, but I find that forgiveable because by then end of Sekiro, you've already beaten Genichiro a couple times, so you don't need to learn new strategies. With Ishin himself, he's a dude with a sword, who shoots you when you get too far. Okay, now he has a spear for extra reach and damage. Okay, now he adds lightning for extra damage and projectiles (although in reality, adding lightning makes phase 3 easier thanks to Lightning Reveral). Similarly, with Maria it's a basic hunter duel, then she adds blood and fire to increase her range and damage, then she adds more blood and fire for even more range and damage.

Last edited:

Kacho

Nameless King is EASY AS FUCK if you go in with the correct gear.
DpQ9YJl.png

If one does not use Pestilent Mist or Dorhys' Gnawing or stack all buffs, the Demon Prince fight in Dark Souls 3 is the hardest. Even the bullshit Freide pulls is offset by the summon on different builds.

Last edited:
Nameless King is EASY AS FUCK if you go in with the correct gear.
I beat Nameless King with a +4 Rapier and no armor, the first time around. It took a bunch of tries, though and that's how I went through most of the game. Cause I'm a lazy fuck.

Fuz

Banned
I beat Nameless King with a +4 Rapier and no armor, the first time around. It took a bunch of tries, though and that's how I went through most of the game. Cause I'm a lazy fuck.

Basically neuters him.

Last edited:

Basically neuters him.

This was before any real strats or even Fextra had much info about the game. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
Dragonslayer was very easy, however. I got to him after accidentally discovering Dancer!
Which I found difficult. I found Dancer more difficult than most bosses in the game. That moveset took awhile to get used to. Especially those spontaneous grabs.

Paulxo87

not getting the malenia hype. I smashed her into the ground first try- you just cast your mimic and never give her a chance to breath. I destroyed her with the dark moon greatsword.

Elden beast and fire giant on the other hand took me dozens and dozens of tries.

DragonNCM

Fucking Malenia....I HATE HER !!!
Who invented that bich move set needs to go to psychologies :messenger_tears_of_joy:
BRILIANT BOSS FIGHT @@

Soodanim

Gael is probably the best hard boss they’ve designed. Just the generosity of the lock-on itself puts it a tier above most.

Funny how people have such different experiences. I’ve died maybe three times ever to Dancer and I can do Sister Feet first or second time pretty consistently.

But Twin Princes and Aldrich… JFC.

And in Elden Ring I have such an issue with Malkeith but all I see online are people gushing over his moveset and wishing he had more HP!
I died quite a few times to Dancer, but looking back I wasn't paying attention and learning. She's not a difficult boss as such, just one that spins a lot.

Friede was difficult, as to be expected, but many are putting it on a pedestal as the hardest thing ever and I don't share that view. Friede was great fun.

I agree with Princes and Aldrich, especially Aldrich. That stupid, broken, annoying arrow rain doesn't deserve to exist. Bullshit attack. Princes is a fun fight when you learn it, but it will fuck you up a few times first. Felt like something that I was always on the edge for back then.

Bartski

Gold Member
Every one of them becomes "easy" if you persist and figure out their moveset.
I find it more interesting to consider how difficult they felt while learning them for the first time. I'd say Midir due to his last phase traking one shot beam...

The most difficult boss that I truly felt I'll never beat was the big Sekiro skill check on my first playthrough - Genichiro on top of the castle. I was seriously considering giving up. It took me 2 days worth of attempts, way longer than the final Isshin or any other Fromsoft boss ever and I beat them all multiple times.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
M Bison Snes version of SFII. Cheap ass fucker.

Seth SFIV on the 3DS was a cheap SoB too on hard difficulty

Last edited:

Gojiira

Orphan for sure, Idk his first phase is easy enough but he has a massive health pool and his second phase and unpredictable moves make him pretty intense. Pretty sure he took more tries to beat than any other boss in the Soulsborne franchise for me. Even the Chalice dungeon Amygdala was easier lol.
Malenia is easy enough once you get your dodges down but it is easy to slip up and suffer for it. Idk, its all subjective and play style makes a huge difference to all of them.

Aesius

I don't get the Midir reverence. Yeah, he was difficult at first, but I don't remember it taking too long. You just learn the moves and work round them. Big enemies tend to hit hard, but they aren't the biggest skill walls.

Malenia was a pain, but between ER's many options and the lack of run back to the boss, it's not as painful as others in more ways than one. What also helps is learning to dodge through her attacks. Negate her reach and the difficulty drops. Then it's just dodging Waterfowl, which is another "Dodge forward" affair.

I think Gael deserves a place on the list, he is essentially the final boss of Souls and is rather chaotic in his attacking.

I haven't finished Sekiro or played BB, so I can't comment there.
I've always struggled with giant bosses in FromSoft games moreso than humanoid bosses, so Midir was fucking awful for me. Took me around 30 tries, which is by far the most I've ever needed for a FromSoft boss.

Headless Bloodletting Beast was also insanely difficult for me for the same reason.

But on the other hand, I got OoK in about 5 tries and Malenia on my second try.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Orphan of Kos at the right level is very doable with gun shot parries. That fight is one of my favorite bosses. Sister was tough, but my level was so high until it was just a matter of dodging. I remember hanging out in that boss room after the final blow. You don’t see that boss coming, which makes it so great.

ISS was mine. I had to memorize each phase. I was like Naruto running trying to bait him. Once I beat him I never did it again to see how better I was. Maybe someday. I do want to replay it. Demon of Hatred was/is just as difficult. I agree - that one should be on the list.

The princes are doable if you equip a weapon with bleed. Bait one while the other one catches up to you. Yeah, I died plenty of times figuring that one out.

Malenia was tough with a greatsword, but I fought her just fine with the moonveil and river of blood. I got f*cked up the first couple goes at her. The rest I did fine with. Nameless King is an awesome looking boss, but I somehow managed dodging very well during that fight.

I don't get the Midir reverence. Yeah, he was difficult at first, but I don't remember it taking too long. You just learn the moves and work round them. Big enemies tend to hit hard, but they aren't the biggest skill walls.

Malenia was a pain, but between ER's many options and the lack of run back to the boss, it's not as painful as others in more ways than one. What also helps is learning to dodge through her attacks. Negate her reach and the difficulty drops. Then it's just dodging Waterfowl, which is another "Dodge forward" affair.

I think Gael deserves a place on the list, he is essentially the final boss of Souls and is rather chaotic in his attacking.

I haven't finished Sekiro or played BB, so I can't comment there.
Gael was hard in NG+ and NG++. I struggled with him on NG++ because my weapon did little to no damage.

Last edited:
Its a much longer fight and the camera angles of phase 1 to make it a chore. At least with Malenia its just a straight 1 on 1 duel, also you can’t really summon cheese him cause they’ll just get killed by his turkey
Moving the camera with the right analog to track the flight of a dragon is not something I found difficult. An attack that almost kills you completely unless you dodge multiple fast strikes perfectly and which also simultaneously heals the boss is something I found really difficult.

I don't know anything about how the summon cheese works though so gotta admit that

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Hard in a good way or hard in an annoying way ? And I guess you mean in a 1v1 situation (for Souls boss) ?

Objectively, I would say Malenia but she's a very annoying boss with her Waterfowl attack and weird staggers (she basically staggers whenever she wants).

Except Malenia I love every fights on this list.

Long time I have done Orphan of Kos but I would say Isshin might be the hardest (and enjoyable) fight. But I'd say another (optional) fight is harder (and even more enjoyable) in Sekiro : Owl Father or even better the "Inner" version. So good and painful... but still soooo goood !

Not the best skill you'll see, but it felt so good to beat him

Last edited:

DelireMan7

For some weird reason, I had a harder time with the flame lurker than orphan of kos.

That's a good one.
Flameluker always gave me trouble. I think it's because Demon's Souls is a rather slow game with most of its bosses being a gimmick fight. Flamelurker is basically the typical boss type we saw in later games : very aggressive behavior where you have to rely a lot on rolling.
So he's quite an outlier fight in Demon's Souls which can me it quite difficult to adjust to.
And of course your build can vastly impact on it (remember a run where I was fat rolling with a shield... Nightmare).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd have put Genichiro ahead of Isshin on here personally. As a mid-game boss he's a fucking brick wall, but by the time you get to Isshin you've seen everything else the game has to offer. Didn't take me half as long to beat.

Genichiro is also one of the best boss battles of all time IMO. Absolutely perfect halfway point challenge and I felt so confident for the rest of the game afterwards, like everything had just clicked together.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Capra Demon

I never understood this one personally, IIRC it was a one-shot for me. Rolled past ANGERY dogs, up the stairs to funnel them until dead, drop attack demon until dead.

O&S on the other hand I eventually just had to summon the NPC, those guys are so much harder than everything else in that game it's not even funny. Then you NPC summon and it's a joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom