• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a console’s aesthetic/looks influenced where you play???

SteadyEvo

Let me explain. As much as I enjoy Sonys 1st party games the console is a monstrosity. So huge it barely fits in my tv stand which has a ton of head room. I’ll be enjoying a game, look down and see this giant misshapen box 📦 and get disgusted.

Meanwhile the Series X blends nicely wherever I place it. It enhances the space.

Back in the day a HUGE part of my love for the GameCube was its cute compact design. Same with the PS2 slim. The OG Xbox while massive was well designed. And the Dreamcast? Perfection and way ahead of it’s time.

Cliffs: I want a PS5 slim before I play another game on a Sony console

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I take your point about the PS5 looking hideous, but put it behind the TV and you can forget it's there.

Tbh, I have all the consoles behind the TV now, works well and it's nicer than having them on display.

Crayon

Nah but I do appreciate nicely designed ones over the years. I really like the ps5 because that was some balsy design. Same with the original ps2.

My mom is an interior designer and I asked her what she thought of the ps5. She loved it. I guess it kinda looked like a vase to her? She liked that it didn't look like electronics. She hates black boxes and even big tv's. Funny.

I love how a neo geo looks, turboduo, snes, gamecube, gameboy pocket, and more. That's to say nothing of controllers though, which I find even more interesting.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not in the slightest. The PS5 may look like a gigantic modem but I could care less as long as it works and plays the game that I want.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not a console's aesthetic, but I prefer playing shooter games on SX because that pad is better for shooter type games.

MiguelItUp

Nope. But I will admit the PS5 was the first design where I was REALLY like "WTF were they thinking?"

I remember thinking the fat boi PS3 looked pretty bizarre, but the PS5 took the cake for me, personally.

TheGrat1

Not at all, I look at the screen not the console. I have more of an issue with the white light the PS5 emits while it is in use, it is at best a distraction in a dark room and wish there was a way to turn it off permanently. Same reason I do not understand all the RGB lights PC gamers use.

It hasn’t influenced which system I play on, but I have to admit I have not purchased a PS5 partly because it is a huge hideous monster (combined with the fact there aren’t any games pulling me in that I can’t get in my PC, series X or switch). Maybe the slim will change that if an uncharted ever comes out.

Now the sound of the console has influenced me. That damn PS4 was so loud I virtually never played it. It would sound like it was about to launch into outer space. I played much more on Xbox one because of that.

Garibaldi

No, they along with ultrahd player and TV boxes go in the cabinet out the way. I just wanna see the TV in the room. Gadgets everywhere looks tacky

In a way? I know this isn't really the same thing, but when I had an Xbox One and a PS4, I played most of my games on the xbox because I greatly prefer the asymmetrical analog sticks over what Sony had. I also hated having to use the touchpad area for some games. My hands aren't shaped in a way where I can use that part of the controller comfortably.

Let me explain. As much as I enjoy Sonys 1st party games the console is a monstrosity. So huge it barely fits in my tv stand which has a ton of head room. I’ll be enjoying a game, look down and see this giant misshapen box 📦 and get disgusted...
seriously? that's, um, 'unfortunate', op. hang in there...

Matsuchezz

Yes, We all used to run around the house and the park with the N64 and Dreamcast, they were good to be thrown around. We kicked them, flip them, tossed them all the time! it was fabulous! Then PS2 came around and it severed little Jimmy's hand and an Xbox smashed my other little neighbors head, then nobody was laughing. Since then we only buy small form consoles. Like Switch and Steam Deck they don't only enhance the space, they also are the best portable machines and nobody get hurt!!

Last edited:

kunonabi

Visual appeal absolutely factors into my console purchases. Not so much anymore since every console is hideous but yeah.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

The system can look most ugliest thing ever created but as long as it has games I care about then I will buy system regardless how it looks.

For me no. Not at all. But I do think the PS5 is definitely the best-looking console there is. I like the fact that Sony took time to actually give it some design language, instead of just releasing a plain-looking box. I like the popped collar look it has when its vertical. Definitely very stylish looking.

Last edited:

shaddam

I carried my ps5 in my hands to home. Let just say my arm was dead for a time. Other than that I dont care, at first it was strange next to my ps3, but now I am used to it. BTW when I play games I dont look at the console

Codes 208

Switching from 360 to ps4 was a matter of MS shooting themselves in the foot regarding everything surrounding the xbox one.

But im not gonna lie, design-wise i actually really liked the og ps4 so the transition wasnt so hard for me. And i guess upgrading to slim models was a matter of design preference (like if i had to choose between a classic 360 or 360 s, I’d choose the s. Or the classic ps4 over the ps4 slim

Robb

Gold Member
Not really, if there are games I want to play I’ll get it eventually. But it does make it easier for me to hold off on a purchase in the wait for (hopefully better looking) revisions.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Kind of, insofar that this is the first generation I have skipped a Playstation console due to it being a monstrosity and the appeal of the diminutive size of the Series S. But I’m an occasional video gamer nowadays.

However, if Sony announces SOCOM, I’ll be first in line.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't imagine aesthetics and interior design are very important to most gamers so its understandable that it doesn't affect most of them but to me it is absolutely important and the main reason I haven't bought a PS5. It's just so hard on the eyes.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Definitely appreciate a nice looking console but not enough where that determines which one I’ll play.

Consoles should look nice, they’re sitting there in your living space. You almost feel like an affection for the thing. Think about the way you felt seeing a SNES, PS1, GameCube, etc sitting under your TV.

PS5 gives me the opposite feeling. It’s ugly, comically huge, and seems like it’s intentionally designed to take up more space than necessary so you’re forced to put it on full display and let it dominate your living space like some ugly postmodern sculpture. Totally understand why people would object to it. Thankfully I have a well ventilated space in my entertainment cabinet for it.

Top Bottom