• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has remote play gotten better on PS5?

Jesb

I’m trying to use RemotePlay on PS4 via backbone controller and I’m constantly disconnected. I’ve only tried it with RE4 remake so far. I don’t have any issues with my connection. I stream Xbox games flawlessly or pretty close. I’m sure steam would be similar to the quality I get with Xbox streaming. I just tried Halo infinite and Dead Space remake with zero issues. But it can be awful streaming on remote play. I imagine they made it better since they have a dedicated handheld now for it. If I get a PS5 will it be better actually?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

There has to be some issue with your PS5 connection to your network. Xbox and PS5 are doing similar things, they should have similar performance. Generally speaking.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Its still pretty bad. I use chiaki and stream to my pc when i'm working. Everything is connected via ethernet. Still getting some drops and artifacts. My router is less than a year old too. If you have QoS turned on in your router turn it off, should improve.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Works great for me. I use the older Razer Kishi controller. I like it more than backbone because its buttons are squishy, and way less loud.

Three

PS4 pro or regular? From PS4 to PS4 Pro remote play improved considerably. From PS4 Pro to PS5 there was also a small improvement but if your PS is connected via wifi then the improvement is far more significant.

MarkMe2525

PS4 pro or regular? From PS4 to PS4 Pro remote play improved considerably. From PS4 Pro to PS5 there was also a small improvement but if your PS is connected via wifi then the improvement is far more significant.
Can you get decent performance from a wifi connected console? I have decent wifi5 network and it's unbearable if my console isn't wires in. I don't have experience with PS5's wifi 6 networking.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the ps app remote play works like crap for me.

There is a huge latency even when i remote play beside my ps5, its insane.

DrFigs

remote play has always been great for me. it's just not something i used a lot. try using an ethernet cable on your ps5 maybe? The last time i used it was on my macbook

Last edited:

Three

Can you get decent performance from a wifi connected console? I have decent wifi5 network and it's unbearable if my console isn't wires in. I don't have experience with PS5's wifi 6 networking.
Depends on how noisy your WiFi environment is and distance/signal strength. I've had it work decently abroad but at home I have all my rooms wired anyway. I just meant in terms of seeing an improvement from moving from PS4 to PS5 the leap would be bigger if your setup doesn't have a wire. The 2.4ghz PS4 wifi wasn't great but it's 5ghz and Wifi 6 on PS5 now. Wired is definitely better for latency and remote play though. In terms of throughput I think Wifi 6 can theoretically be better than wired but in reality it would depend on the environment it's being used in.

Last edited:
Use it at work with steam deck and it was fantastic. PS5 though. Also had it on Wi-Fi not even Ethernet.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Works fine for me. I use a Backbone and a Galqxy S21 Ultra. I have Google fiber as an ISP. Never had a problem at home. Starbucks is laggy but whatever. Hotels are hit or miss

Jesb

I don’t understand why Xbox streaming is flawless but remote play is garbage for me. Just started playing A plague tale: requiem and it runs perfect. Flawless butter like every Xbox game. But remote play is garbage for me, Why?

Last edited:

Zuzu

It works very well on my iPhone XS, iPad Mini and iPad Pro. It doesn’t work as well on my Google Pixel 2 but that’s an old phone now.

Crayon

I'm not sure if anything changed but I tried streaming judgment-ps5 to PS5 last nite and I was really impressed by the quality of the stream. I've streamed a few games but this seemed like something was better. Idk.

Cornbread78

Was remote play good for you with PS4? Was your network the same on both?
Same on both, but I get much better visuals, latency & consistency of connection with the portal than I did with my Vita and/or Lenovo tab on PS4/5.

Last edited:
You need to make sure you're on a 5ghz wireless signal. For me it sucks if you connect to 2.4ghz but it's almost flawless on the 5ghz.
And that was before and after getting the Portal.

Geruda065

Wired console + 5Ghz Wi-Fi and it works flawlessly. Amazing how many people ignore this and bolster by fiber speeds while playing on local network.

Top Bottom