• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has your online shopping / ordering increased during Wuhan flu lockdown?

Has the frequency or expenditure on online purchases increased or decreased during lockdown?

• Increased. I'm spending more money online while stuck inside.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Decreased. I'm spending less money online.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Ehhh, about the same as before.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Certain stores have shut down or are only offering partial services, therefore certain things are getting harder to obtain and I'm not just talking about toilet paper, am I right fellow American panic buyers? 🙏:lollipop_weary:

My wife and I did order a piece of furniture that we'd been saving up for, a big new kitchen table with chairs. That was back in early March, though. I haven't been ordering games or doing any boredom-shopping. The table was the last big purchase. Do you have enough stuff in your house to keep your attention occupied, or have you splurged a bit on N O N - E S S E N T I A L S while locked inside?

Increased, albeit maybe temporary just get some stuff I couldn't, or didn't want to bother trying to get/find, due to the lockdown.

So I just went on Amazon and ordered some big amounts, and some other places. And one thing I'd recommend, is order from other sellers, not just Amazon. Amazon is delaying their shipments quite a bit, but you can go to Newegg or whoever else and it'll be there the same as it was pre-lockdown almost. No point waiting for that week+ lag from Amazon right now if you can get it from someone else probably shipping out of the same damn area (Ontario, California).

Woo-Fu

Banned
You need a fourth option: Decreased because Amazon Prime isn't 2 day delivery for most things now.

30 days to get a toaster, think I should get some sort of prime refund. You can't keep to the deal Amazon yet Bezos can get 27 billion richer during this? Hmmm.

Last edited:
You need a fourth option: Decreased because Amazon Prime isn't 2 day delivery for most things now.

30 days to get a toaster, think I should get some sort of prime refund. You can't keep to the deal Amazon yet Bezos can get 27 billion richer during this? Hmmm.
In fairness, I've seen more Amazon Prime vans delivering stuff in the last week than I've seen in the last 18 months. That indicates they're at least trying to keep up with delivery demand.

Yeah, they should offer a refund or discount for Prime members, the 2 day delivery is probably the biggest reason people pay for it. I'm all for diverting shipping for priority packages during this time and such, but don't continue to charge me for a service you can't provide.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Been ordering heaps of Uber Eats

We almost never order delivery because we prefer to dine in on date nights, but yeah we finally gave in and ordered some Indian food via Uber eats last night. Eating someone else’s cooking was glorious

Pantz

Cut off all my spending back in February but starting to spend more normally now that the unemployment checks and government aid are flowing in.

As a by-product of this situation Walmart now delivers groceries* to my location. Thinking on whether to order Twinkies cereal or not.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Decreased, I have bought fewer items than I normally would because of shipping uncertainties honestly.

Wondering about this myself. I signed up entirely for 2 day shipping, I do get use out of Prime Video now, but if wasn't for that I'd have cancelled Prime by now or complained in some manner. It is kind of bullshit.

Last edited:

JBat

Increased but for stupid reasons due to my wife. For example she ordered 2 "packs" of Caprisun juice for our kids not realizing the packs were actually 4 boxes each. Now we have 48 juice packs. The kids don't even like the stuff all that much

Woo-Fu

Banned
In fairness, I've seen more Amazon Prime vans delivering stuff in the last week than I've seen in the last 18 months. That indicates they're at least trying to keep up with delivery demand.
Oh I'm sure they're doing a hell of a job. That isn't an excuse to pass the expense on to the consumer while Bezos pockets 27 billion dollars, though. If Elizabeth Warren wasn't too busy sucking Biden's cock in the hope of a cabinet position maybe she'd be able to say something about it.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I haven't bought anything but groceries / hygiene articles since the lockdown started, so it has decreased. It has nothing to do with the lockdown though, just that I have a lot of work to do on gamedev right now.

Oh I'm sure they're doing a hell of a job. That isn't an excuse to pass the expense on to the consumer while Bezos pockets 27 billion dollars, though. If Elizabeth Warren wasn't too busy sucking Biden's cock in the hope of a cabinet position maybe she'd be able to say something about it.
Yeah, now that I think about wouldn't the video and music streaming tied to the Prime subscription also be bandwidth-limited like a lot of other services (Netflix, downloads on gaming services, etc)?

No. There are things that changed

1. No one leaves the house. Kids don’t go to school. Wife works from home. But we were already heavy Amazon users. And we already used services that shopped for us.

2. I had to lay-off our housekeeper.

3. No Baseball. I am sad

Mista

Banned
Decreased somehow. Whenever I receive a package I put the mask and gloves on and clean everything before opening and after

Been ordering food a lot though

My wife and I are brushing up on our various meal-making skills. My family's takeout food orders have dropped to zero during the last 6 weeks, except for ordering a case of sardines.

tumblr_lsut5jLD8S1qchmc7.gif

xrnzaaas

I'm not making any big purchases, but since I only visit a grocery store once a week I have to buy the rest of the small stuff online (games, magazines, clothes etc.). We have a cool postal machines delivery system in our country - picking up your order happens without any human contact and you can also open the box with your delivery wirelessly through a phone app.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been having groceries delivered way more often. Once Ohio put in the rule that only a certain number of people can be inside at any given time, I stopped going to the store myself. I just don't want to awkwardly wait outside in a bread line.

I did cancel my Prime membership, though. My new year was about to start and I realized that I was barely ordering anything from them anymore. The Prime Now deliveries weren't happening for weeks b/c of demand and regular items weren't 1-day shipping b/c of demand (and whether they were "essential items"). So I'll come back when things get back to normal, I guess.

I’ve been digital for most this gen game wise. I’ve been buying more movies on Vudu. Amazon has been used quite a bit too. While I’ve been shopping online a lot already, it has definitely increased now because going to the store just sucks. We’ve found that although amazon says things will take a long time, they still end up coming quicker than they state initially for us.

Top Bottom