• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have we agreed that Capcom cannot continue the Megaman franchise without Inafune?

SEGA_2012

Please someone keep MM away from Modern Capcom :lollipop_worried:

need-coffee-shaking.gif

Neff

Resident Evil continued without Mikami.

If Capcom is holding off from making more Rockman games, it's because it's just not worth it for them. The best-selling Rockman title is Rockman 11, which sold 1.7m. Peanuts compared to what RE, MH, SF, and even Devil May Cry can do.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Megaman is now similar to Pac Man, a mascot for the company but not in any way representative of the games they make.

Personally the series has been getting stagnant staying in the second dimension for a while now, you might as well make a jump to 3D. We have so many examples of how to make a third person shooter/ 3D platformer work, it shouldn't be taking them this long.

jcorb

I dunno. I still think quite highly of Inafune (despite things obviously not having gone well for him after departing Capcom), but I think the Mega Man franchise could absolutely carry on without him.

Problem is, it sure seems like there is still some bad blood and so Mega Man has remained shelved. Or maybe MM11 just didn't pull CRAZY numbers like they were hoping? In fairness, with Capcom seemingly doing more in-house development (which is a good thing), they're probably quite picky about which projects they work on. And Mega Man simply isn't going to be a major IP for them moving forward.

It kind of feels like they've killed the franchise, and resurrecting it would take some genuine effort. And who knows if anyone at Capcom even cares enough to take on that kind of responsibility?

Given the Battle Network Collection's incredible sales, though, I could maybe see that giving some modicum of hope to the franchise. It might not be a bad idea to "reboot" the series slightly, a new 3D action-platformer in the Classic series, but maybe working in something like the Battle Chip systems from the Battle Network games. Keep the art style fun and vibrant, maybe bring back the writers from the Archie comics to give us a story that's fun, but sets up some genuine stakes (maybe planting seeds to loosely approximate whatever happened between the Classic and X series'), I dunno.

The time for a new Mega Man game would definitely be now, though. Your biggest audience for those games are definitely going to skew older gamers looking for nostalgia, so keeping elements that worked, but "rebooting" it for newer gamers, would probably be the series' best bet.

jcorb

They should just support whatever JKB is doing with MMX: Corrupted

Yeah, I remember them doing something similar for Mega Man X Street Fighter, essentially being a fan-made game that Capcom USA threw some support behind. Corrupted is clearly a work of love, and probably has about as much hype behind it as pretty much any fan-game is ever going to have. Offering to buy them out and fund further development might not be a bad call, essentially making it their "Sonic Mania".

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Keiji Inafune was mainly a character designer, my guy. His first Mega Man game as a producer was Mega Man 8. He never worked as a director or game designer so we most definitely don't need him.

His first real project was Mighty No 9 and it's shit.

You know, it could be cool to have a monster hunter style megaman x game, where you take pieces of robots you hunt to build new armor and weaponry.

Anyways, megaman is dead and mml3 will never happen. that reminds me that I need to buy a bottle of booze for myself on the way home. have to drown out the sorrow somehow.

Sleepwalker

Take re4 remake gameplay and put a megaman skin on it, there done. You csn send me a check Capcom

Alternatively just Copy Housemarque's homework with Returnal

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Yeah, I remember them doing something similar for Mega Man X Street Fighter, essentially being a fan-made game that Capcom USA threw some support behind. Corrupted is clearly a work of love, and probably has about as much hype behind it as pretty much any fan-game is ever going to have. Offering to buy them out and fund further development might not be a bad call, essentially making it their "Sonic Mania".
It looks better than a lot of mainline X entries.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just get Gravity Circuit instead. Amazing indie game that just released and scratches that Megaman itch. Megaman is pretty much dead sadly. Capcom only does cameo work and maybe MMX: DIVE.

I second this! An amazing game that gives me a lot of nostalgic feelings for the old Mega Man games while taking a fresh spin on the formula.

Wonderful game.

AREYOUOKAY?

Megaman sucks, Sorry. More Sonic. :messenger_grinning:
I jokingly said before that a Zelda Breath of The Wild Mega Man open world rip-off game like Sonic Frontiers would reinvigorate the Mega franchise because I’m sure Sega is pleased with their results. If they won’t do Legends 3 then a new 3D spin off doing that has a ton of
sales
potential.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, I think they’ll make more. But I can imagine he was the one who promoted the franchise a lot internally, so who knows when we’ll get a new one.

cireza

Inti Creates made two pretty good Megaman games (9 and 10) and they are making Gunvolt now. Great series, definitely give it a try.

They also made both Curse of the Moon games. They are awesome. Too bad they are also making these games with under-age girls, not a fan and they have started mixing this shit with the more hardcore platformers they make, so the appeal isn't quite there as far as I am concerned.

He is clearly not needed to make good games, but he was needed to push the IP in the company despite its relatively small success.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don't think we are ever getting the MML3 we deserve.
I’d take a remaster or a simple port of the first 2 at this point. I just want to play them on my tv on the consoles I have right now. Maybe if there’s a god, Capcom and Nintendo will allow Mega Man 64 on its N64 service.

Ansphn

Honestly they can just remake/re-imagine MegaMan. Just talk to Housemarque. That engine is perfect for a modern MegaMan in a 3D environment.

AREYOUOKAY?

Well, shit.
To be fair it never got released outside of Japan and Europe so I get why it’s unknown to many. Kind of a lame excuse though

“Mega Man Battle & Chase did not pass approval from Sony Computer Entertainment for an individual release in North America due to an already large presence of mascot-themed racing games in the video game market.”

Last edited:

jcorb

It looks better than a lot of mainline X entries.
Honestly, Corrupted LOOKS like it could well be one of the greatest sidescrollers ever made. No doubt I have some major bias, but it legitimately looks super interesting and intricately designed. I almost worry it looks SO good, if it gets too good a reception, if it would put them on some legal team’s radar for a cease-and-desist.

Barakov

Gold Member
Nah. Mega Man 11 is pretty tight. I think there's still enough people over there that understand Megaman that the franchise will be just fine.

SkylineRKR

I beat the second X collection earlier this year on PS5, and X8 is actually pretty fucking good. Okay, it could do with somewhat more traditional MMX levels like the prologue stage, but rail stages aside I enjoyed it a ton, unlocked everything. I liked X8 more than 11 in fact. They had a good baseline for X9, but I guess X6 and X7 did too much damage. An X9 would be great, in either the style of the first 3 games, the 4th or the 8th.

Top Bottom