• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health nuts help me out, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRed

Banned
Ok I'm looking to build up my muscles and want to know what would be the best way of going about it. I plan on going to the gym at least 3 to 4 days out of the week, what machines/ exercises should I do to help facilitate muscle growth. Also what diet should I be on? I know most weight lifters eat a lot of high protein foods like pasta, steak and eggs. Can anyone inform me on what I should and should not eat? Also what type of supplements should I use if any? No I won’t be using 'roids so don't suggest that. Are there certain vitamins I should take that would help muscle growth. I'm not looking to be a body builder or anything I've just noticed that I'm getting a little belly and I've always wanted bigger thicker arms. Thanks for the help

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm quite the layman workout guy, I usually do chest and back 1 day, then arms one day, shoulders one day or thereabouts, and always do a good cardio workout as well (5 k run in 30 mins) I dont workout my legs, mainly because I'm not skinny and since I'm not going for the body builder look (much prefer to be lean and strong) I find running to be a good enough leg workout.

basically I do 6 weight exercises a day and mix up which ones go with which (example one day do triceps and shoulders) I've heard you want to keep your body guessing a bit.

It works ok, I sometimes have protein shakes afterwards as well.

Oh and don't forget core, I also do crunches and swiss ball exercises 2-3 times a week.

Diet is a huge part of it to, I'm probably not getting as good a results as I want from it because I am a little slack there. But having said that I have dropped 7 kilos and look and feel much stronger as well.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
ShadowRed said:
Ok I'm looking to build up my muscles and want to know what would be the best way of going about it. I plan on going to the gym at least 3 to 4 days out of the week, what machines/ exercises should I do to help facilitate muscle growth. Also what diet should I be on? I know most weight lifters eat a lot of hi protein foods like paste, steak and eggs. Can anyone inform me on what I should and should not eat? Also what type of supplements should I use if any? No I won’t be using 'roids so don't suggest that. Are there certain vitamins I should take that would help muscle growth. I'm not looking to be a body builder or anything I've just noticed that I'm getting a little belly and I've always wanted bigger thicker arms. Thanks for the help

I'm no pro, but I'd suggest cutting out the junkfood first and foremost--it doesn't have to be entirely, but just minimize it as much as possible. Next, to get rid of your belly, you should run on the treadmill each time you visit the gym for at least a mile or two and work your way up. In addition, every night or every other night before bed, do as many sit-ups as you can until you can't raise yourself up anymore. Try to beat that number the next day (don't cheat) and each day after that.

As for bulk, try to maximize the weights on any exercise you tackle and do 3 sets of a 10 or so reps... if you could do many more reps than 10, then you should probably increase the weights. Every 2 weeks, try to incrementally increase the weight and you'll see a corresponding increase in your strength/size. Don't do the same body parts on subsequent Gym visits--always give at least 4-5 days for each body part to recover from the workout. I also believe doing heavy squats (even 1 or 2 sets) before each workout will really get the adrenaline working in overdrive and make for more effective workouts. Give it a try and start the process off slow. You'll see good results within a few months and you'll love it.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
open_mouth_ said:
I'm no pro, but I'd suggest cutting out the junkfood first and foremost--it doesn't have to be entirely, but just minimize it as much as possible.
Couldn't agree more–also cut out soda; I've lost weight just from doing that. Check out Fat Loss Tips, you'll find some good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom